Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the safest way to accept money off someone in exchange for tickets?
    For example if I accepted on PayPal could they put in a claim even if I've handed over the tickets and get their money back?

Comment

Suck it up Dom. Most of us loathe our jobs, it's the rare few of us who can live in second gear at them and still do well. Count yourself fortunate on that score.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

The Voice of Reason

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
          I'm really getting disillusioned with work. The financial services industry really drains the life out of you. Sadly I'm too old and too fond of getting paid not a pittance to do anything else.

I think my ideal job would be a train driver. Your own compartment where no one bothers you, do what the signals say, and you get paid pretty well too. The downside would be the prospect of people jumping in front of the train, but there you go. Not much chance of becoming a train driver though.

I neither have the get up and go to want to progress further in my own career or to retrain for anything else.

Professional lottery winner would be brilliant, but I've more chance of becoming a train driver.

I guess sucking it up and just getting on with things is the only viable solution.
          My mate's brother committed suicide by Dart about 20 years ago. At the inquest the train driver was describing what happened, pretty horrific description of him jumping onto the track and running at the train (as if it wasn't coming fast enough). Quite strangely, it was the train driver's first day back in work due to the stress of running over another jumper 6 months before.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
            Suck it up Dom. Most of us loathe our jobs, it's the rare few of us who can live in second gear at them and still do well. Count yourself fortunate on that score.
            I don't believe that most people loathe their jobs.

Comment

Already hate my job and I'm in college. Thanks for the pick me up cunce.

Getting Tom a model railway for Xmas.
              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                oh look at me I like my jobbb.
                jk

It's a sad state of affairs that as a first time early to mid thirties college goer, I still had the same problem as 14-32 years previous, finding something I really wanted to do.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Are we including train driver? What are these class jobs. I feel anew.

Comment

If ever I am having a bad night at work I just think back to my 8 months in the fund industry and how I was 2 weeks from returning to that job before the one im in fell in to my lap.
                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 23-04-15, 00:27.

Comment

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    For me it was an entire summer spent working in a recycling plant. They loaded recycling trash bags onto a conveyer and we had to manually sort into paper, plastic, etc. About 50% of the bags were filled with excrement of some type.
                                    Well to be fair about the fund industry it was a hell of a lot better than working in one of Larry Goodmans Abattoirs as a 16 year old. I was more referring to rest of my life type jobs.
                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Only 25% of the week is spent in work; so as long as it supports you being happy for the other 75%...
                                      FU hitch, you just made me realised my ratio is roughly as follows

50% work, 30% sleeping and 20% leasure time.

Need to do a serious reassessment here
                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                        FU hitch, you just made me realised my ratio is roughly as follows

50% work, 30% sleeping and 20% leasure time.

Need to do a serious reassessment here
                                        That leisure time would be more productive if you didn't support man city m8

Comment

I literally divided 40 into 168 to get around 25%. Admittedly a crude economic model with a few simplifying assumptions.
                                          That 25% might start to look more like 50% when you take out sleep. Add in travel, and getting ready for work.

Comment

Age of Ultron was ok. The original was better

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                              That leisure time would be more productive if you didn't support man city m8
                                              Actually it is very productive for the 0.0000001% time spent analyszing them..... If it was Chelsea my sleep ratio would go through the roof.
                                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                Actually it is very productive for the 0.0000001% time spent analyszing them..... If it was Chelsea my sleep ratio would go through the roof.
                                                So would the trophy count but that seems to mean nothing to the fickle, jealous football fans of today.

M8.

Comment

Also worked on a conveyer belt in a Boots factory where role was to tighten lids on bottles of shampoo. Sadly a high skill job that has now been replaced by the inevitable march of the robots.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                    You don't work in I.T. then
                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                      The examinership is one big pile of smoke and mirrors to enable ladbrokes sell off the Irish Retail business to an existing shareholder.
                                                      I'm really getting disillusioned with work. The financial services industry really drains the life out of you.
                                                      I get it's not train driving exactly, but apparently there's a large bookies chain looking for a driver . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                        What if a more appealing offer was submitted to the Examiner by an outside interest (i.e. we'll restructure xyz but keep all the jobs in situ). Isn't the Examiner required to consider it on merit?
                                                        Dice, think you're mixing up Examinership/Receivership/Liquidation. In any of the latter two getting the best return for the assets is the priority. In the former priority is whether the business can be restructured to become a going concern.

That isn't to say GAB's information is wrong, the point of the Examinership could well be to put the business into a better position so that it can be sold off, it's just that would come well down the Examiner's order of work - i.e. they start with ways to cut current and future debts, then look at ongoing capital/finance issues. Here the loss per annum is only something like 5million, proposal (media report) is cut almost 60 stores and 250 jobs would would easily make up that figure, so no need to go on to consider new capital/ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                          If ever I am having a bad night at work I just think back to my 8 months in the fund industry and how I was 2 weeks from returning to that job before the one im in fell in to my lap.
                                                          When I was 16 I wanted to leave school and take up a full time job in a cash 'n' carry (sure I'd be getting £80/£100 a week and could go out every weekend!!). My mother, wise woman that she was, wouldn't hear of it and insisted I finish leaving cert first. Any time now that I drive past that place I shudder and thank my lucky stars (and my Ma).

Comment

More late than mid sadly. There is no other job that I would want to start from scratch in either really unfortunately, never mind go back to college. I just suffer from a chronic case of apathy and laziness unfortunately, and I'm just having a whinge.

First world problems and all that.
                                                            Having a whinge about work is one of the good things about having a job IMO. It's a fundamental right of the working person ffs! Being stuck indoors with all this nice weather and doing something that doesn't interest you or that you can't develop a passion about means there's something wrong with you if you're not a bit pissed off.

However, you don't have to work at something your passionate about to get more fufillment from your work in my view. There are steps you can take to make it less painful IF you want to.
                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                              Dice, think you're mixing up Examinership/Receivership/Liquidation. In any of the latter two getting the best return for the assets is the priority. In the former priority is whether the business can be restructured to become a going concern.

That isn't to say GAB's information is wrong, the point of the Examinership could well be to put the business into a better position so that it can be sold off, it's just that would come well down the Examiner's order of work - i.e. they start with ways to cut current and future debts, then look at ongoing capital/finance issues. Here the loss per annum is only something like 5million, proposal (media report) is cut almost 60 stores and 250 jobs would would easily make up that figure, so no need to go on to consider new capital/ownership.
                                                              Went through Examinership a few years ago. Thought it a complete bullshit process. Im sure there are probably different forms of it but in our case external offers were taken into consideration. A few strong viable proposals were on the table till our main competitor put a pie in the sky bid on the table (keep all the jobs yada yada) which the Examiner pumped for despite most of us in the know pleading against it. Cue 18 months later and roughly 8 of the staff are left from c200 and the business has been integrated into theirs. Cheap way to close down the opposition i guess.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                However, you don't have to work at something your passionate about to get more fufillment from your work in my view. There are steps you can take to make it less painful IF you want to.
                                                                Isn't that what the internet is for?
                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                  Having a whinge about work is one of the good things about having a job IMO. It's a fundamental right of the working person ffs! Being stuck indoors with all this nice weather and doing something that doesn't interest you or that you can't develop a passion about means there's something wrong with you if you're not a bit pissed off.

Tuesday mornings are the worst...

at_the_office.jpg

Comment

Favourite Jobs over the years

Caddying in Shinneock Hills on J1.
                                                                    Lounge Boy/Barman in Dollymount House.

Worst Jobs

Marathon Sports (shudder)
                                                                    Call Centre doing directory enquiries for Orange Mobile Phones (they offered me manager within 3 months but turned it down and went back to college)

I have worked as an accountant for nearly 15 years had a lot of high and lows.

I don't jump out out of bed every morning but work is interesting enough to keep me going.

I managed to position myself in a job 15 minutes drive from home, no traffic issues and 5 minutes from the golf club just in case I want a sneaky midweek game. Rarely do overtime (although that will change very shortly) pay is not great but job definitely has potential for greatness if I got off my hole a bit.

One thing I realised over the last year is that no matter what is going on in your life millions of people have it a lot worse so be happy for what you have and if your not happy do something about it or at least stop moaning because life's too short.

and remember....

THIS IS THE ORIGINAL MUSIC VIDEOGreat Music video from the nineties !The lyrics are taken from a famous essay — written in 1997 by Mary Schmich, a columnist ...
                                                                    Last edited by elbows; 23-04-15, 08:14.
                                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Hmmm, I work for Ladbrokes now. Interesting. I'm choosing to look at this as a good thing

Comment

Comment

Planning to mix pokering in SE (due to leftover chips from a drunk night there) and beering on the Sunday after the bank holiday weekend for anyone interested?
                                                                          Heads up 4 rollz?

I have a stack of random chips, mostly from the se in a drawer at home...we could organise a cash in your chips night.
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

...

Comment

I've recently been moved onto a more operational rather than dev role.
                                                                                I've spent weeks bitching about it (I'm still asked to do dev work),but have come to the realisation that this is much easier for more money.
                                                                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Why do we get so much kitchen/bed/furniture spam here?
                                                                                  I'd have thought it'd be a tiny part of worldwide spam, yet it seems to be about 95% of the spam IPB gets.

Comment

Only job I really hated was Intel. If I had kept a journal of my time there and someone found it, I'd probably be sectioned or arrested.

Reminds me of another job I had and a funny story...

Working in a corner shop when I was a teenager and one of the 2 owners who was mostly responsible for running the show was a complete cunt and paid me terribly (this was before the days of the minimum wage). I decided to appropriate a decent wage for myself, if you will. Also my mates used to come in and hand in £2 for 20 John Player Blue and get £7-8 back.
                                                                                    One night they rang me up and called me to a 'meeting' in the shop...Said meeting was with 2 private investigators. It turned out that no less than 6 staff members (including the owners brother in law) were fleecing them (all independently of one another) and we all got fired on the spot.
                                                                                    I went on to work in Bewley's for years and it was a particularly uncomfortable situation when the other owner's daughter got a job there, given she knew about the whole thing. Worse still was the day that we were both sharing responsibility for a till and it was down £20 at the end of the day! Thankfully the error was rectified, but boy did she give me the evils.

Comment

have been meaning to try these for a while but heard mixed reviews

SPOILER

They are actually not bad at all!

Just had 3 there now in a roll, hard to believe this was a syn free breakfast !
                                                                                      SPOILER
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Best job I ever had was working in an amusement park in the States on a J1. Generally spent the days drinking, having bumper car wars and arsing around playing cricket vs 90mph fastballs in the baseball batting cages. Paradise until we got sacked for various misdemeanours.

Comment

PTSB will be cheap as chips at €2bn overall flotation value imo. Medium term profitability of around €200m just to kinda break even on your investment?! I'd guess their natural profitability is around the €400m point. All pie-in-the-sky numbers, but probably not too far off the mark either given they'll be one of just three contenders for the entirety of the Irish banking market and regulators seem to actively favour banks over customers.
                                                                                          Is that with or without the tracker deadwood?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                job?
                                                                                                Where is it that men about town sign on these days

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                  Where is it that men about town sign on these days
                                                                                                  Is it BCB taking over ladbrokes

Comment

@FieryWasabi. What are the chances of the NBRU strikes going ahead in May? Particularly the weekend of the 29th?

Comment

My favourite job was the two summers I spent aged 15 and 16 in Fort Lucan.
                                                                                                      Mini golf tourneys usually 5er a man, down water slides to cool off on the rare hot summers days and many many Milfs obv. Good times.

Now like Mr 5starpool, I'm slaving away in fund industry. Thinking of going into the BA side of it for a year or two then going from there. Did you enjoy BA 5starpool?

Comment

FAO all unhappy workers above.......

Irish Rail are actually recruiting Trainee Locomotive Drivers at the moment.
                                                                                                        Looking at you Dom and Riggs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                                                                                                          Is it BCB taking over ladbrokes
                                                                                                          No one is supposed to know it until the deal is through, but he is indeed the shadowy figure lurking in the background.

Comment

Ireland needs a volcano. This happened earlier.

Comment

In which David Cameron gets absolutely rekt by students on Radio 1: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05pr3ht
                                                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                                                                                                                @FieryWasabi. What are the chances of the NBRU strikes going ahead in May? Particularly the weekend of the 29th?
                                                                                                                Initially they are only planning 2 hour stoppages, but who knows where that might lead to.
                                                                                                                I'll know more when I go in to work later.

The Minister is a cunt obviously, and the NTA are a faceless Quango who decide on a whim the way things are to be run, without a thought for the effects on those who actually drive the buses/trains etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                  Ireland needs a volcano. This happened earlier.

I enjoyed the time lapse of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                                    I enjoyed the time lapse of it.

https://youtu.be/_MdUQY6xQG4
                                                                                                                    Speaking of time lapses, I watched http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2361700/ last night. Full of awesome time lapses of different areas in the Antarctica.

Comment

Absolutely love my job in IT, thing about IT is there are a million different things you can do. It probably helps that our products are cool.We're like the apple of the military world.
                                                                                                                      But main thing is...don't like it, move. Lots of variety out there. The spice of life so it were.

Love that song, have it in my playlist and without fail it cheers me up when I hear it.
                                                                                                                      "Fuck it, life is good craic"

Had some fun and shit jobs myself. First "job" was with my father, he was second in command at a drinks distribution company. That job was basically me driving a forklift around picking things up randomly and drinking. I was 12. Other days were just being driven around Ireland delivering beer and eating ice cream having the craic with my father.

From there I moved on to a shite job, 6am - 6pm working unpacking veg and shit. Sometimes in a freezer for an hour at a time -25 degrees. They found me sleeping on hundreds of red peppers before. I only slept 2 hours a night that whole summer.

Worked in NCF milk then, that was a fucking tough job. Most people lasted 2 weeks. You stood at the end of a conveyor belt picking up 12 litres of milk every few seconds to put on a pallet, for fucking the whole day. People became delirious doing it. There was fun disgusting part of the job though. "bursting", this was taking cartons of milk that were sometimes years out of date (where the fuck did they get them) and bursting them into big metal vats, it was the most disgusting thing I've ever done and the smell was unreal. Great fun bursting the shite out of the cartons though.

Worked in a hotel doing weddings after that. That was great, worked with my brother, introduced him to his gf and they are still going out a decade later. Used to eat so much free food. Some whackos there though, one guy insisted he bring his steak home to have it tested in a lab as he didn't believe it was Irish. I wonder if he ever did find that Irish gene.

After that I worked in a class job, working in a fancy nightclub run by a millionaire guy that reminded me of the hoff. A new ridiculous shirt every time he appeared. Basically I'd walk around the floor doing nothing but chatting to girls and after work I'd have free drinks, serving mr millionaire and his rich buddies cocktails or whatever. I wasn't even old enough to get in there but could work there. Owner died of a drug overdose, doing what he loved.

My last job before this one was poker I paid for all of university with poker my friends still cringe about what little money meant to me back then, poker really fucks up that perspective but my god it was good wining a few k in a tourney in college, withdrawing 700e a day and complaining that my atm card wouldnt let me take out more.

So if you want Dom you could always just grind poker and move to thailand and live on a train?
                                                                                                                      Q&A with an expat playing online poker in Thailand, including how to open a Thai bank account and deposit. Links to Thailand poker blogs and 2+2 posts.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 23-04-15, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                                                                                        Initially they are only planning 2 hour stoppages, but who knows where that might lead to.
                                                                                                                        I'll know more when I go in to work later.

The Minister is a cunt obviously, and the NTA are a faceless Quango who decide on a whim the way things are to be run, without a thought for the effects on those who actually drive the buses/trains etc.
                                                                                                                        Well from a selfish point of view we're going to Slane on the 29th and wamted to use DB again like we did two years ago. Just organising things now and heard about the strike. I've only had good experiences with DB drivers so best of luck with whatever ye do.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X