Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan Quinlan's kid is going to enjoy this being shown at his 18th, 21st, wedding etc etc etc

Alan Quinlans young lad rubs snot on his shoulder during sky interview, priceless

Comment

Comment

And something I completely missed just before Xmas, Stripe, the payment company set up by irish brothers Patrick and John Collison just had a round of fundraising which now values their company at $3.5 billion.

SPOILER
        Stripe Inc. has raised $70 million in a financing round that values the digital-payments startup at $3.5 billion.

The funding is from new and existing investors, said Kelly Sims, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco-based company. The fundraising doubles the value of Stripe since January, when it raised money at a $1.75 billion valuation.

Stripe previously garnered about $140 million from investors including venture capital firms Founders Fund, General Catalyst, Sequoia Capital and Khosla Ventures. Thrive Capital as a new investor in the round, Sims said. The new fundraising was reported yesterday by the Financial Times.

The financing follows a flurry of deals for Stripe as digital payments -- particularly on mobile devices -- take off. In September, Stripe was named as a partner of Apple Inc.’s new mobile-payments service, Apple Pay. Stripe is also powering an e-commerce feature for Twitter Inc. and working with Alibaba Group Holdings Ltd.’s Alipay.

Elite Silicon Valley technology startups are also landing higher valuations as investors clamor for growth. Fourteen U.S. technology companies reached a valuation of at least $1 billion in the first half of the year, more than double the number of startups that did so in all of 2013, according to CB Insights.

Other startups such as Airbnb Inc. and Snapchat Inc. have been valued at $10 billion. Uber Technologies Inc., already the most valuable U.S. technology startup, is in talks to raise at least $1 billion at a valuation of about $35 billion to $40 billion, up from $17 billion in June, people close to the situation said last week.
        Stripe’s Roots

Stripe was founded in 2009 by Irish brothers Patrick Collison and John Collison. The company offers processing services for online and mobile transactions and provides plenty of code so software programmers can quickly incorporate payment features into their apps.

In an interview in September, Patrick Collison said the company’s focus is on building up its platform.

“We are less than 10 percent of the way there,” he said. “Building a platform that others can build a meaningful business on top of, we are talking about a multidecade horizon.”

Comment

On Episode 2 of UFC 189 World Championship Tour Embedded, headliners Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor arrive in Las Vegas on the second stop of their whirlwind t...

Comment

Gotta love soccer Republic.

Peter Collins: Up next Limerick and Longford in a big game with both sides looking for their first points. Let's see what way this one went.

Instantly display 2-2 scoreline on the screen instead of showing highlights first.

Decent show tbf. I like the Irish abroad bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
              Still have no idea how this went to a jury
              From a non legal perspective, do ya reckon he did it?

From a legal perspective, do you not think the circumstantial evidence was quite compelling?

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                The Babadook is the best horror I've seen in a couple of years. Highly recommend it for the season that's in it.
                Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                Have not stopped thinking about that film since seeing it. Thinking now it may be one of the best horror films ever made. Of course I'm biased given my profession and what the film is really about.
                Have you seen The Canal? Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                  Legal/HR question. If he gets off and he decides to go back to work what are his employers options to get rid of him? Do they have to take him back??

I feel for his wife. Big house and mortgage, your man earning nothing and up for murder. Having affairs and all the rest. What's the future for her?
                  No matter what his life in Ireland is over. His future is either in a jail cell or abroad.

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                  From a non legal perspective, do ya reckon he did it?

From a legal perspective, do you not think the circumstantial evidence was quite compelling?
                  No idea to be honest. People who act the way she and he did are not necessarily monogamous and there are serious implications of confirmation bias once they settled on him being the suspect.

I don't honestly care if the circumstantial evidence is compelling. I don't want him convicted based on such awful evidence and neither should anyone else.
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

No matter what his life in Ireland is over. His future is either in a jail cell or abroad.

No idea to be honest. People who act the way she and he did are not necessarily monogamous and there are serious implications of confirmation bias once they settled on him being the suspect.

I don't honestly care if the circumstantial evidence is compelling. I don't want him convicted based on such awful evidence and neither should anyone else.
                    Do you think from the evidence provided, she was murdered?

Comment

Seems pretty obvious that he was the person who sent the last text message to meet her the night she disappeared. Combined with the fact the his work phone was in range of where he was supposed to be checking out the site and the bag he carried from the flat being found in the reservoir, I can't imagine him being acquitted.
                      Feel so sorry for his wife and kids either way.

Comment

Originally posted by KK82 View Post
                        Seems pretty obvious that he was the person who sent the last text message to meet her the night she disappeared. Combined with the fact the his work phone was in range of where he was supposed to be checking out the site and the bag he carried from the flat being found in the reservoir, I can't imagine him being acquitted.
                        Feel so sorry for his wife and kids either way.
                        There's No cause of death though. He could have been standing over her with a knife about to kill her and she had a heart attack and he legged it, not murder.
                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by dobby View Post
                          Skrtel been charged for his stamp.

http://m.bbc.com/sport/football/32019847
                          This is ridic.

Where is the fucking bandwagon I have been asking to be a part of? I'm obv missing out.

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                          Kane the best striker in the world right now? Discuss
                          lol, no.

Great form and slowly showing he can score goals but he's done it from the bottom of the top level up to where he is now. He is nowhere near the CL and pressure League topping games standard. Disappears in them. Don't do what England do and over rate him, for a change I would like to see a English player succeed. He is strangely likeable.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                            This is ridic.

Where is the fucking bandwagon I have been asking to be a part of? I'm obv missing out.

lol, no.

Great form and slowly showing he can score goals but he's done it from the bottom of the top level up to where he is now. He is nowhere near the CL and pressure League topping games standard. Disappears in them. Don't do what England do and over rate him, for a change I would like to see a English player succeed. He is strangely likeable.
                            I think he's the first good 'un coming through in a long time that hasn't fallen for his own hype. Maybe its down to being bedded in slowly over the last few years with sporadic cup game appearances that has kept him humble. Also you can tell he is genuinly living his dream playing for spurs and has potential to be a 20 goal plus man for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya14 View Post
                              I think he's the first good 'un coming through in a long time that hasn't fallen for his own hype. Maybe its down to being bedded in slowly over the last few years with sporadic cup game appearances that has kept him humble. Also you can tell he is genuinly living his dream playing for spurs and has potential to be a 20 goal plus man for years to come.
                              I think he has it. I think he is pretty simple and that is meant in the best possible way, so he can make it. He certainly has the talent but unfortunately in England that isn't always enough to be allowed to make it.

England have had plenty of 20 goal a season strikers, just didn't suit the media. Italy always trusted an Italian who scored goals, England hasn't trusted a Englishman who can score 20 in a long time. Neither set the world alight, one country had a dominant period in club football... The other has recent success at international level.

Anyway...

On Episode 2 of UFC 189 World Championship Tour Embedded, headliners Jose Aldo and Conor McGregor arrive in Las Vegas on the second stop of their whirlwind t...
                              Last edited by CHDad; 24-03-15, 03:38.

Comment

It's that time of the week.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Anyone know where I can watch the show The Notorious online? All episodes not on rte player and not on vodly/primewire either
                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Still have no idea how this went to a jury
                                    Sound strategy surely. If Defence make the application and succeed, the prospect of retrial remains. Let it go to the Jury with all the holes in the evidence and there is a high chance of acquittal (very limited grounds for retrial) and appeal (very high chance of acquittal).

Case like this, as a lawyer, you would to place your faith in another legal mind, i.e. judges on appeal, rather a jury. You can't know what jumps a random jury will be prepared to make to join the dots in the evidence. You do know that Appeal Court will not make the jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                      is there a website where I can put in dates and departing airport and i will get the flights in price order? Basically if you had a few days to spare and were thinking to deck off for a few days and you didn't mind where you ended up.
                                      Skyscanner FTW (imo). Stick in your departing airport and Country of choice (so you'll need to search each time for any country you're interested in, choose 'whole month' for the dates and let it do its magic.

On that subject, hotelscombined.ie , being well advertised on TV and elsewhere, has proven to be a great site for any kind of accomodation deals. It clearly shows you its own best price AND cheaper prices of other sites. Made three bookings so far this year, saved a couple of hundred in total. Very impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                        Anyone know where I can watch the show The Notorious online? All episodes not on rte player and not on vodly/primewire either
                                        Wow, high praise. I'm not surprised from seeing that short footage on the McGregor doc, he looked like he could have knocked McGregor out there.

links to all of them^^^

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                          Legal/HR question. If he gets off and he decides to go back to work what are his employers options to get rid of him? Do they have to take him back??
                                          If he gets off, what it says is 'not found guilty of murder'. But the weight of unchallenged evidence to do with his personal proclivities would be enough for any employer to either let him go or new employer to turn him down.

Employer is entitled to take 'reputational' issues into account, particular in the professions (as distinct from say assembly line type jobs).

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                            Do you think from the evidence provided, she was murdered?
                                            Look at it logically.

Is someone dead? Yes.
                                            How did they die? Don't know.... Murdered? Maybe, no evidence. Natural causes? Maybe, no evidence. In either case not enough evidence to meet the burden of proof.

Then come at it from the circumstantial evidence point of view.
                                            Loads of texts from someone (who in the words of the Judges charge seemed to be places and live a lifestyle remarkably like that of the defendant), which indicated a desire to take someone's life in a particular manner. Is that evidence of murder? Not even close.

Even if a jury is prepared to make the leap from 'X would like to kill someone' to 'oh, that person is now dead' = 'therefore X must have done it'; its very unlikely a Court will leave that stand on appeal.

All imo obv.

Comment

Come on NZ!!!!
                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                Come on NZ!!!!
                                                Wtf was Taylor at running that single and getting poor guptil out

Comment

Rain prob has played to NZ hands as Faf and AB were building a great partnership but didn't account for limited overs.

Still gonna be tight, Steyn licking his chops I'd say.
                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                    I got myself a MacBook Pro last week, what are my options for getting MS Excel & Word onto it?
                                                    Consider a personal MO subscription. $7pm; multiple devices; 1TB cloud storage; latest version of every application the minute it drops. You get the latest MAC versions.
                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

The split personality is great.

Actor and clown for an audience, grinder without.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                        Sound strategy surely. If Defence make the application and succeed, the prospect of retrial remains. Let it go to the Jury with all the holes in the evidence and there is a high chance of acquittal (very limited grounds for retrial) and appeal (very high chance of acquittal).

Case like this, as a lawyer, you would to place your faith in another legal mind, i.e. judges on appeal, rather a jury. You can't know what jumps a random jury will be prepared to make to join the dots in the evidence. You do know that Appeal Court will not make the jumps.
                                                        If he had a directed acquittal what jury in Ireland could be empanelled that wouldn't be biased by the coverage of this trial? There will never be a successful re-trial of this case. Directed acquittal has <5% chance of resulting in a re-trial imo. Definitely not a tactical choice.
                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                          Rain prob has played to NZ hands as Faf and AB were building a great partnership but didn't account for limited overs.

Still gonna be tight, Steyn licking his chops I'd say.
                                                          would still be some chase - the equivalent of 370 or so in a full innings

Comment

would still be some chase - the equivalent of 370 or so in a full innings
                                                            Ah yeah but it's a definite advantage to be able to adjust for the limited overs, rather than the team who played like they thought they were facing 50.

I'm not complaining though
                                                            Profit before people.

Comment

Ah yeah but it's a definite advantage to be able to adjust for the limited overs, rather than the team who played like they thought they were facing 50.

I'm not complaining though
                                                              huge moment there, AB of all people

Comment

Personally believe circumstantial evidence isn't worth a shite, no matter how much of it you have. No cause of death; no DNA evidence; not guilty. As Keith says, you could likely have framed some reasonably compelling circumstantial evidence for other men she was involved with.

I also have to wonder what public benefit has been served by the lurid reporting of the trial, particularly when we can see the effects on droolers like strewelpeter who are now all riled up and ready to hang him were it an option.

If he's acquitted the wave of outrage will be amusing, we can all agree there.
                                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Steyn has the look of a man who owns a considerable slave pen.
                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

most Boers have that look about them

Comment

There will be a twist here imo

Comment

There will be a twist here imo
                                                                        mmmmmm hmmmmmmm

Comment

Great battle this.
                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Great battle this.
                                                                            some over by Morkel

NZ should really do it but nervy now

Comment

This brought back memories. such a tacky advert lol But I am sure its gonna bring plenty of business. Myself and Colm stayed here a few years back and it was one of the best weekends we ever had in Ireland. Absolutely brilliant if you enjoy a sing song. The owner plays the piano which on most occasions in summer ends up out in the yard with everyone getting a chance to sing. Food was amazing there too. Would deffo recommend it if one gets the chance!

Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

AB should not be bowling himself here

Comment

Uh oh, SA gone favs again.
                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Uh oh, SA gone favs again.
                                                                                    outfield has gone slow too

Elliot needs to stay there

Comment

Oh Danny boy

Comment

de Kock now

a Kock-up?

Comment

297 will do NZ btw.

Comment

Daniel Vettori - what a moment
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Had to Google him to see what you were on about, could easily photoshop a bullwhip into this photo

Comment

good auld sport

Comment

jaysus

bad for the heart this

Comment

Huge save there
                                                                                                    Boers must have it now

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                      Huge save there
                                                                                                      Boers must have it now
                                                                                                      nice work

Comment

Lol epic.
                                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

LMAO

Comment

mental stuff

Comment

Face on Behardeen

Kiwis were stood in the middle and gave up a single

Comment

SA favs again now

Comment

Who would Australia rather play in the final (should they get there)

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                    Who would Australia rather play in the final (should they get there)
                                                                                                                    SA

Comment

Rafa Nadal tactics here by Steyn

Comment

SA favs again now
                                                                                                                        Thats gotta be the last swong
                                                                                                                        #
                                                                                                                        Attached Files

Comment

Come on Elliot. Out of the park one time.
                                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X