Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That calorie value lark is a load of bollox.

Fast food chain yes. It is rather difficult to guesstimate calorie values there, and mostly a portion is a portion and the Fast food chain association can help them out with initial costs.

Pubs and sole trading restaurants, these places will be changing menus daily, if i eat a dinner, a main course out im guessing that will come in at around 500-1000cals, im not dumb enough to not be aware that mashed spuds is, sorry...that good mashed spuds is 50/50 butter to potato.

The average obese person in this country is not fat from eating in restaurants, i only wish it was because of just that !
    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      Its relatively easy to calc calories for food that comes in a can, presumably its more difficult for food cooked by a chef from basic ingredients that may change quite regularly.
      I guess approximations would have to be accepted.
      My understanding was that they would have to send dishes off to be properly tested. Otherwise it'll just be unscientific pulling numbers off websites like the bores.lot of trouble to go to satisfy the food fascists.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
        Delighted to say it is now The Final Furlong Podcast in association AtTheRaces.com - we have top billing currently on www.AtTheRaces.com, have permanent home page position on ATR and the ATR Cheltenham Microsite, 48hrs of plugging their TV channel post release, full social media support etc...

At The Races – Digital partner to Sky Sports Racing. Get horse racing news, video replays, racecards, results, form, tips, features and odds comparison.

Be delighted if you would click and listen. We put a decent amount of effort into this. Two years ago it started as a bit of craic to chronicle Our Conor/Cheltenham etc between Emmet, Kevin and I so we are pretty chuffed to have come this far.
        Great turn around considering you had considering stopping the podcast last year.

Comment

Its relatively easy to calc calories for food that comes in a can, presumably its more difficult for food cooked by a chef from basic ingredients that may change quite regularly.
          I guess approximations would have to be accepted.
          It's fairly straight forward tbh. List the bulk ingredients, look up the calories, add it up, divide by no of portions.
          When a meaks are variations of each other, the workload is less.

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
          Government won't be happy with a simple tot up of the ingredients. They'll mandate approved food science experts to perform calorific tests on each finished product. My dad might have to come out of retirement as that's his bread and butter. Pun intended.
          I think they are accepting results from an approved online calculator. There was a website I seen mentioned.
          Sending a prepared dish away to a lab is a lot more work, but it's only one meal, there will still be slight variation from one to the next.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
            I've never heard them called 'the' DCC. They can't lift the curfew, it's a condition of permission that all events have to be finished at 11. Technically require a planning application or for them to ignore the curfew, 2nd part won't happen

UFC 187 is a ridiculous card
            Does the ABP report explicit state 11pm at all times? I've heard it does, but I looked and never found the report.
            The city manager can approved a few events each year based on an event management plan. But prov fairly restrictive.

Comment

We have calories on our menus and also allergens on our website.

It is not cheap to get done.

We recently changed batter mix and it reduced the Calorie count by 100 on a fillet of fish.
              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Most people don'#t have a clue what they are intaking, a eddie rockets milkshake is over 2000 calories isnt it?

Meals that are 2000kcal:
                Even as restaurants talk about smaller portions, they continue to serve a full day's worth of calories in a single meal — or even a single dish.

The point here is ballpark figures, nobody will care if it's a bit off.

Comment

If it involves a lab, then that's OTT.

However given that I don't think restaurants are required to send food & counter swabs to labs for testing to pass food safety requirements, I can't imagine that there is any appetite for that level of accuracy and therefore cost.

In any case, is asking for ignorance not a bit weird? It's just information, ignore it if you wish.
                  Last edited by Emmet; 19-02-15, 12:12.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post

We recently changed batter mix and it reduced the Calorie count by 100 on a fillet of fish.
                    Can you give us a rough cost figure? So that we can find reconciliation between "huge costs" and some back of the envelope/online calculator method?
                    Last edited by Emmet; 19-02-15, 12:17.

Comment

where is this?
                      Beshoffs afaik

Comment

where is this?
                        Beshoff Bros

We have Gluten Free. I will bring a few vouchers tomorrow night
                        His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                          Can you give us a rough cost figure? So that we can find reconciliation between "huge costs" and some back of the envelope/online calculator method?
                          Haven't got final figures on it yet. Probably €5k between consultant, menu printing and website update. Not huge but for a small restaurant who changes there menu constantly it is a complete pain in hole. (I think it should be mandatory for chain/fast food restaurants)

Comment

Beshoff Bros

We have Gluten Free. I will bring a few vouchers tomorrow night
                            How hard was gluten free for ye to do?

Batter, buns etc?

Much difference in cost price?

Much impact in taste?

If you don't mind

*PM if you'd prefer, Genuine interest, in a forgieeennn country so not a competitor
                            Last edited by Guest; 19-02-15, 12:49. Reason: *

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                              I think they are accepting results from an approved online calculator. There was a website I seen mentioned.
                              Sending a prepared dish away to a lab is a lot more work, but it's only one meal, there will still be slight variation from one to the next.
                              Different forms of preparation can have significant effects on the calorific content of food. Cooking itself greatly increases the calorific value of starches, for example. Overcooking or resting after cooking can then plummet that value again.

Calorie counts are measured by literally burning the food item completely and then measuring the additional energy created. This is fine for a lab but we know that this is an extremely poor measure of how much energy an average person eating it will absorb. This is because it takes absolutely zero account of digestibility.

Source: http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr.../#.VOXUIfmsVCg

So as long as everyone accepts that the numbers on the menu will likely be completely irrelevant to how fattening the food will be, the proposal is effective.
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

excellent - I was actually just musing over this last weekend. Is everything Gluten Free or is it on request? I look forward to murdering a Fish & Chips now that I know this.

Fucking hipsters
                                airport, lol

Comment

Been a bit of a lull with Irish Water protester Videos of late but they seem to be making a comeback after their Christmas break.

Garda gets very heavy handed @ 1:23 and throws a presumably upstanding member of the local community to the ground potentially causing life threatening injuries.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Garda Brutality is disgusting.

Comment

Getting an external consultant and a lab would be expensive. But there's no need to do that.
                                      The FSAI are providing a website to calculate the calories.

https://menucal.fsai.ie/

Comment

I think minimum number of outlets before the regulations are enforceable is a good compromise. If the demand is there other establishments will follow suit, but forcing every Mom and Pop cafe to put numbers on their irregular menus is OTT. You'd have to imagine too that calorie values in government mandated fonts are going to look silly on a tasting menu somewhere!
                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 19-02-15, 12:59.

Comment

Nice 5% reduction
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                            Been a bit of a lull with Irish Water protester Videos of late but they seem to be making a comeback after their Christmas break.

Garda gets very heavy handed @ 1:23 and throws a presumably upstanding member of the local community to the ground potentially causing life threatening injuries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAc6VWD5yRU
                                            The beal na blath clip is very good.
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

The counter argument to the health benefits of nutritional info and calorific values on menus has to be some people will seek out the higher numbers purely on a perceived value basis ?
                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

I think government mandated fonts is a great idea. I look forward to the chapter one tasting menu in comic sans.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                  I think government mandated fonts is a great idea. I look forward to the chapter one tasting menu in comic sans.
                                                  Wingdings imo

Comment

excellent - I was actually just musing over this last weekend. Is everything Gluten Free or is it on request? I look forward to murdering a Fish & Chips now that I know this.
                                                    We have gluten free and non gluten free menu 7 days a week in Mespil Road and Dame St.

We have just introduced it in Clontarf too this week except after 5 on Friday and Saturday.

You can get pretty much anything Gluten Free except a Gluten Free Chicken Burger.

Comment

Pig’s tail stuffed with Fingal Ferguson’s bacon and Dublin bay prawn, basil purée and citrus mustard fruit

vBulletin does not do comic sans justice hmm

Comment

Garda Brutality is disgusting.
                                                        Should have run over the cunt. Good Cavan accents on most of them too.

Comment

Different forms of preparation can have significant effects on the calorific content of food. Cooking itself greatly increases the calorific value of starches, for example. Overcooking or resting after cooking can then plummet that value again.
                                                          Hmmm, you are gonna have to provide a clear source for that or explain it a bit further.
                                                          Starches are carbohydrate. Cooking can turn these to diffetent starches, or sugars. But they are still carbs. Which has about 4calories per gram. I've never heard of any cooking method altering this value.

Cooking might make certain foods more bioavailable, but that doesn't mean the calorie content has changed.

Calorie counts are measured by literally burning the food item completely and then measuring the additional energy created. This is fine for a lab but we know that this is an extremely poor measure of how much energy an average person eating it will absorb. This is because it takes absolutely zero account of digestibility.
                                                          That true. Our bodies are not as efficient as a machine.
                                                          As a crude examme. Sweetcorn or peanuts coming out the otherside obviously didn't gove up all their energy.

So as long as everyone accepts that the numbers on the menu will likely be completely irrelevant to how fattening the food will be, the proposal is effective.
                                                          We might not always absorb 100% contained within a food.
                                                          But saying it is "completely irrelevant" is utterly riduculous.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                            Nice 5% reduction
                                                            Our cod fillet battered is 300 Calories on its own. Slightly more for Haddock and Smoked Haddock

Chips are the worst for Calories at 550 and if you have tartare sauce you get to around 1,000 Calories for a fish and chips

Comment

Pig’s tail stuffed with Fingal Ferguson’s bacon and Dublin bay prawn, basil purée and citrus mustard fruit [500CAL]

Patrice Cacheux et Fils, Hautes Côtes de Nuits ‘Tilles’ 2011 [150CAL]
                                                              FYP

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                How hard was gluten free for ye to do?

Batter, buns etc?

Much difference in cost price?

Much impact in taste?

If you don't mind

*PM if you'd prefer, Genuine interest, in a forgieeennn country so not a competitor
                                                                We don't have a bun atm. Tried one yesterday and it was shite.

We use separate batter mix which is more expensive but we don't pass it on.

The GF batter is crispier and while not as good as normal batter taste wise but still very good.

Procedurally it takes a lot to segregate everything and ensure that there is no cross contamination.

Comment

I always thought revenue was quite an efficient place to contact. I rang just there though and got a voice message "In order to deal with an increased number of correspondence our hours are now 9:15am to 1:15pm Monday to Friday. Please call back at this time to blah blah blah."

Joke shop.

Comment

Germany denies Greek request to continue financial aid.

And so we begin Act 2...
                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                      I always thought revenue was quite an efficient place to contact. I rang just there though and got a voice message "In order to deal with an increased number of correspondence our hours are now 9:15am to 1:15pm Monday to Friday. Please call back at this time to blah blah blah."

Joke shop.
                                                                      Showing your age m8. They probably want people to go to revenue online. Calling with the expectation of speaking to humans for is for old peoples.
                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Hmmm, you are gonna have to provide a clear source for that or explain it a bit further.
                                                                        Andy can do and say what he wants m8. You are welcome to try and fail to disprove his wild statements at your peril.
                                                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

€500 open jawed flights from

Dublin - Sao Paolo - Miami - Dublin
                                                                          Or
                                                                          Dublin - New York - Sao Paolo - Dublin

Good 2 week jaunt there!

Comment

Won't be long till the 'x was at Nandos and consumed 800 calories(feeling satisfied) ' muck is clogging up a social media feed near you

Comment

...
                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

They're very quick responding to email to set the Sheriff on you if you owe them money!
                                                                                .

Comment

link
                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    link
                                                                                    Site's actually really very thorough, far more than legally required I'd imagine!

Comment

The calories on menus we have had for years so not a big deal for us.

The website is still being updated but hopefully it will be fully up to date next week

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                        Showing your age m8. They probably want people to go to revenue online. Calling with the expectation of speaking to humans for is for old peoples.
                                                                                        I have a login for PAYE anytime but can't update what I want to on there.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                        They're very quick responding to email.
                                                                                        Can they update your employer number by email? How quick is very quick anyhow?

I think I'll wait to ring tomorrow morning anyhow on my last day of unemployment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                          Andy can do and say what he wants m8. You are welcome to try and fail to disprove his wild statements at your peril.
                                                                                          Excuse me Rigger but I believe I make bold statements, not wild ones. I'm not some kind of ravening madman on a street corner type, thankyouverymuch.
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Quick 12 question quiz on Irish Internationals of the noughties. Got one wrong.

Comment

Those that are interested in the calories you can get in restaurant food probably know how to calculate them anyway or at least a rough estimate. As part of an overall campaign to make people aware of how much they are actually eating v's what they need it is probably a cost effective method of raising awareness (for the government). However it will probably be a stand alone gesture that will cause more inconvenience to business than provide any real health benefit.

Comment

Have to say it's very well done Elbows, what are your chips fried in? I might go get me a 900 calorie serving mmm

Comment

Been trying to catch up on some of the movies I've not gotten to over the last couple weeks, caught The Theory of Everything yesterday which was pretty solid with good turns from both main leads your man done a good take on Hawking, next up was Birdman which was outstanding & thoroughly engrossing I'm a big fan of Edward Norton and he pretty much nailed his bit, Keaton was impressive in his role also movie had a great fell/look to it, was going to hit up Selma to round things out but had to push it back and looking to catch it tomorrow.
                                                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Does the ABP report explicit state 11pm at all times? I've heard it does, but I looked and never found the report.
                                                                                                    The city manager can approved a few events each year based on an event management plan. But prov fairly restrictive.
                                                                                                    11pm and that all floodlights apart from safety lighting be turned off at that time too. Planners FTW

Comment

Have to say it's very well done Elbows, what are your chips fried in? I might go get me a 900 calorie serving mmm
                                                                                                      Just changed to Rapeseed oil from Veg oil.

Comment

+€120 on top for water, both hot and cold, if I'm reading it right.
                                                                                                        Presumably the French are rioting in the streets over this inhumanity.
                                                                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

@RD3 et al; I love being right:

“By diverting demand into the rented sector, the new rules will lead to stronger rental growth. In time this will attract investors who will compete with everybody else to buy properties.
                                                                                                          Therefore the new measures will do nothing to soften house price growth by curtailing demand.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                            I have a login for PAYE anytime but can't update what I want to on there.

Can they update your employer number by email? How quick is very quick anyhow?

I think I'll wait to ring tomorrow morning anyhow on my last day of unemployment.
                                                                                                            Are you not captain of your own ship contracting?
                                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just changed to Rapeseed oil from Veg oil.
                                                                                                              Is the lard deep fryer hidden under the counter ?

Whats the password for the good stuff ? ?
                                                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

That is pretty much a copy and paste job from Savills.

Who have an outstandingly good track record at not being right.

An honest answer right now would "we don't know what the impact of the CB changes are. Nobody does. Come back in three years and we'll talk further."

Comment

Just back from the zoo. Poor sea lions have been displaced and massive work ongoing, due to open soon. Looks promising, kinda hoping for some bears.

Comment

Free the Wet 5

Comment

In the process of making my first ever curry. God knows what way it will turn out!

If you'd like to lose weight - without ever feeling hungry - welcome to Slimming World. We help thousands of members achieve their weight loss dreams - you can too.
                                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                        Just back from the zoo. Poor sea lions have been displaced and massive work ongoing, due to open soon. Looks promising, kinda hoping for some bears.
                                                                                                                        That's dissappointing, as common as seals are opposed to the other animals, seals have always been the most entertaining in Dublin zoo IMO. Monkeys can be a good laugh too.

Comment

...
                                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X