This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@AJ

Why were Liverpool no 1 in the draw this evening? Obv wasnt alpha or current champs or anything.

Comment

Oh mighty all knowing BBV.

Work comp on where we try and select the winners of the top 6 Oscar categories. Who do we reckon will win best picture/director/actor/actress/supporting actor/ supporting actress?
      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
        @AJ

Why were Liverpool no 1 in the draw this evening? Obv wasnt alpha or current champs or anything.
        It's the order the teams came out in the round before

1 Crystal Palace v Liverpool or Bolton Wanderers
        2 Arsenal v Middlesbrough
        3 Aston Villa v Leicester City
        4 West Bromwich Albion v West Ham United
        5 Bradford City v Sunderland or Fulham
        6 Blackburn Rovers v Stoke City
        7 Derby County v Reading
        8 Preston North End or Sheffield United v Cambridge United or Manchester United.

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
          @AJ

The FA employ a sliding scale of awesomeness , hence Liverpool ball one and United ball 8 or 'completely last ball'.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Work comp on where we try and select the winners of the top 6 Oscar categories. Who do we reckon will win best picture/director/actor/actress/supporting actor/ supporting actress?
            Alternatives in brackets

Birdman (Boyhood)
            Richard Linklater (Alejandro González Iñárritu)
            Eddie Redmayne (Michael Keaton)
            Julianne Moore (Rosamund Pike)
            J.K. Simmons (J.K. Simmons)
            Patricia Arquette (Patricia Arquette)

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
              Alternatives in brackets

Birdman (Boyhood)
              Richard Linklater (Alejandro González Iñárritu)
              Eddie Redmayne (Michael Keaton)
              Julianne Moore (Rosamund Pike)
              J.K. Simmons (J.K. Simmons)
              Patricia Arquette (Patricia Arquette)
              Ta... Never seen any of the films apart from gone girl so had no idea who were the real contenders. Pike was excellent in gone girl though.
              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                Damn you McCullum bowling first. They could have hit the Scots for 400+ the way they're playing.
                Sigh ya hope the scots put up a decent score. Ah fuck off wicket wicket

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                  Sigh ya hope the scots put up a decent score. Ah fuck off wicket wicket
                  Not everyone can knock off 300 each time

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                    Not everyone can knock off 300 each time
                    Just have Williamson and guptil top batsman in tourney ditch has Williamson so want em batting first v minnows

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                      Just have Williamson and guptil top batsman in tourney ditch has Williamson so want em batting first v minnows
                      They'll still get plenty in the tournament. Nz v good

Comment

I have a samsung galaxy s4 mini i need unlocked does anyone know cheapest way to get it done please and where?

Thanks

Comment

12-4. Grim times for the scots

Comment

Anyone else notice the uncanny resemblance between Bob Odenkirk as Saul in the scene in the desert and another legal professional of our acquaintance

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post

Comment

That whole scene in the desert was excellent
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Is it just me or has the fa cup really lost the following it used to have.
                                  I remember being younger and all the top teams would be in the semi finals putting out their best possible squads and mad for the cup, don't feel the urgency anymore when watching any of these games.

They don't even feel like cup games tbh, apart from bradford as their pitch was shit
                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                    Heading to Majorca next month for work. Any recommendations for things to do or see?
                                    Capital city Palma is decent enough for a walk around afternoon, really nice 'old town' in the middle of it. Castles, churches, monasteries, forts etc.

If you like your exotic train journeys, the Soller Train through the mountains from just beside Palma main station is fairly sensational, a narrow gauge old school train winding its way through a load of mountain tunnels and interior Majorca to the nice northern town of Soller.
                                    Would take 4-5 hours there and back so may not suit you.

Comment

Saw Selma tonight, excellent. Shocked that the lead didn't get a best actor nomination.

Comment

Better call Saul episode 1 - just watched it, seems a bit whiffy, borderline whether I'll watch another

Comment

Is boyhood any use
                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                            Is it just me or has the fa cup really lost the following it used to have.
                                            I remember being younger and all the top teams would be in the semi finals putting out their best possible squads and mad for the cup, don't feel the urgency anymore when watching any of these games.

They don't even feel like cup games tbh, apart from bradford as their pitch was shit
                                            I think it stems from when man utd didnt partake one year so they could go to play in the world club championships. Would love an ald fa cup now wouldnt ye. But other teams have suffered by making the final wigan/boro got relegated maybe not the only reason but a major factor.

Its a nice cup to win get some silverware. Got critics of Arsene Wengers back when he doesnt really matter. I hate an Fa Cup weekend if they could fit it in mid week somehow all the better.

Fa cup shock mah. Chelsea got a weekend rest ahead of the game tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by NiceandcoolTrig View Post
                                              Saw Selma tonight, excellent. Shocked that the lead didn't get a best actor nomination.
                                              Kanye racecard interruption at the event
                                              airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                Better call Saul episode 1 - just watched it, seems a bit whiffy, borderline whether I'll watch another
                                                Felt the same after watching it but episode 2 stepped it up a good bit imo.
                                                Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                  Second episode is 100% better than the first/ I've no idea how they messed up the first so bad tbh.

Comment

Saw Selma today, thought it was weak and the lead actor had no presence, I understand why he wasn't nominated. Any kind of a genuinely good performance would have got him a nomination imo. Denzel got one for Malcolm X.

Came out of the cinema thinking I would like to see Malcolm X again and saw a poster on that street advertising a talk this week by someone on his anniversary.

Comment

Power in the blood on RTE 1 is fantastic. All about Irish horse racing. Probably common knowledge to the horse heads in here but fascinating to someone like me who knows feck all about racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                        It's a good show, sure don't I make an appearance in it myself!!
                                                        Missed that Noel, I should have known to keep an eye out though tbf.

Comment

Booked Forest Avenue for our 6th Wedding Anniversary on the 28th March.

I met her 18 years ago on the 8th March at a house party of a mutual friend. I got her drunk on Malibu and we have been together ever since. I have been with her longer than I have been without her.

Have been through a lot over the years. She lost her dad at 16 to heart attack which in a strange way cemented our relationship at a very young age.

Traveled a good bit together and had lived a pretty trouble free life until she nearly died giving birth to our first and then losing our second child at 38 weeks.

She is the strongest person I know and I don't realise how lucky I am a lot of the time.

Don't know where this is going but anyway.
                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

changing phone is a pleasure these days, install motorola app on old phone, click start and everything goes to new phone, done in a a minute. Thousands of photos, preferences, contacts, blah blah all done. Good ole technology. It even recognised old numbers I rang from my call log and added them to my address book.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                Heading to Majorca next month for work. Any recommendations for things to do or see?
                                                                Eat here, tasting menu with paired wine was fab.

In Palma every tuesday they have a tapas crawl, all the pubs put on a tapas and you get a small beer or wine for €2.00, brings all the locals out.
                                                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by mugsy View Post
                                                                  I think it stems from when man utd didnt partake one year so they could go to play in the world club championships. Would love an ald fa cup now wouldnt ye. But other teams have suffered by making the final wigan/boro got relegated maybe not the only reason but a major factor.

Its a nice cup to win get some silverware. Got critics of Arsene Wengers back when he doesnt really matter. I hate an Fa Cup weekend if they could fit it in mid week somehow all the better.

Tbh I used to enjoy the fa cup as a kid, remember a day filled with being in the pub playing darts with lots of shouting. I think I only realised it tonight when we got arsenal that for some reason I'm more excited about playing them in the premiership than the cup.. might just be me. And before anyone comments, no it is not because they will knock us out yada yada

Utterly agree that fixtures being played mid week would be much nicer for our viewing pleasure though.
                                                                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                    Jesus. That must have been so incredibly tough with the pregnancy.
                                                                    She had hellp syndrome but quite a severe case.

Lucky we got to the hospital when we did as she wasn't close to the time between contractions when you are supposed to go in.

When we got in the nurse examined her downstairs and I knew by the look on her face that she was in trouble. From what I saw in one born every minute v what happened in Theatre I knew she was in trouble.

At one point I was holding our daughter having a Jack and Sarah moment going how the fuck am I going to look after you on my own.

Thankfully she pulled through after numerous transfusions and surgery.

She was so good through out the whole process and so strong.

Losing our second child was cruel.

When you get the first warning at 37 weeks that she may have a hole in her heart and she is dead a week later.

Having to put your child in a little white coffin and drive her to the cemetery is the hardest thing I will hopefully ever have to do.

I don't think I will ever get over it.

I said said to my wife that our wedding seems like a lifetime away and she said 2 lifetimes and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

It sneaks up on you. Had to stop the car a while ago when Nick Caves into my arms came on the radio.
                                                                    Last edited by elbows; 17-02-15, 00:01.

Comment

I'm going to post some poems this week. First up is Wild Geese by Mary Oliver.

SPOILER
                                                                      You do not have to be good.
                                                                      You do not have to walk on your knees
                                                                      For a hundred miles through the desert, repenting.
                                                                      You only have to let the soft animal of your body
                                                                      love what it loves.

Tell me about your despair, yours, and I will tell you mine.
                                                                      Meanwhile the world goes on.
                                                                      Meanwhile the sun and the clear pebbles of the rain
                                                                      are moving across the landscapes,
                                                                      over the prairies and the deep trees,
                                                                      the mountains and the rivers.
                                                                      Meanwhile the wild geese, high in the clean blue air,
                                                                      are heading home again.

Whoever you are, no matter how lonely,
                                                                      the world offers itself to your imagination,
                                                                      calls to you like the wild geese, harsh and exciting --
                                                                      over and over announcing your place
                                                                      in the family of things.

Mary Oliver, a Pulitzer Prize winner, writes fluent imagery weaving together the worlds of humans, animals, and plants. Wild Geese is a favorite. You do...

Comment

Originally posted by mugsy View Post

Would love an FA cup, you do realize its only 18 months since United were champions, technically still chAmpions till last May? I don't think United are desperate for an FA cup yet

Comment

lovely post elbows
                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

people be all posting poems since I put up a bit of Invictus.

This account on reddit writes amazing poems in reply to comments, just hit context to understand a given poem

(Account mdoug got his poem from)
                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 17-02-15, 00:00.

Comment

You see, I want a lot.
                                                                              Perhaps I want everything
                                                                              the darkness that comes with every infinite fall
                                                                              and the shivering blaze of every step up.
                                                                              So many live on and want nothing
                                                                              And are raised to the rank of prince
                                                                              By the slippery ease of their light judgments
                                                                              But what you love to see are faces
                                                                              that do work and feel thirst.
                                                                              You love most of all those who need you
                                                                              as they need a crowbar or a hoe.
                                                                              You have not grown old, and it is not too late
                                                                              To dive into your increasing depths
                                                                              where life calmly gives out its own secret.

Rainer Maria Rilke, Rilke's Book of Hours: Love Poems to God
                                                                              The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                  She had hellp syndrome but quite a severe case.

Lucky we got to the hospital when we did as she wasn't close to the time between contractions when you are supposed to go in.

When we got in the nurse examined her downstairs and I knew by the look on her face that she was in trouble. From what I saw in one born every minute v what happened in Theatre I knew she was in trouble.

At one point I was holding our daughter having a Jack and Sarah moment going how the fuck am I going to look after you on my own.

Thankfully she pulled through after numerous transfusions and surgery.

She was so good through out the whole process and so strong.

Losing our second child was cruel.

When you get the first warning at 37 weeks that she may have a hole in her heart and she is dead a week later.

Having to put your child in a little white coffin and drive her to the cemetery is the hardest thing I will hopefully ever have to do.

I don't think I will ever get over it.

I said said to my wife that our wedding seems like a lifetime away and she said 2 lifetimes and it hit me like a ton of bricks.

It sneaks up on you. Had to stop the car a while ago when Nick Caves into my arms came on the radio.

We are the weaker sex in so many ways but you hold up our side very well here elbows . Don't mind admitting to welling a bit reading this . May you both have many more years of health and contentment .

Comment

Ah poems .yey
                                                                                    great interpretation by the Waterboys .(seems apt)

Post 5x13 - Merlin lives in a house by Avalon where he waits for Arthur. The song is a musical rendition of the Yeats poem "The Stolen Child." This is a 6 1/...

Comment

On a slightly happier note. The moment I realised I wanted to marry her was when we were on holidays in Sicily and at a Tracy Chapman concert in the old ruins and this song came on.

I nearly proposed there and then but bottled it as I had no ring.

This was a bit long for a first dance we thought.

This was our first dance wedding song - seems a bit cliched now but wasn't that well known in 2009.

ADELE - MAKE YOU FEEL MY LOVE FULL LENGTH + LYRICSLYRICS:When the rain is blowing in your face,and the whole world is on your case,I could offer you a warm e...

Comment

Is boyhood any use
                                                                                        Go watch nightcrawler.

Speaking of which, stuck £5 on nightcrawler at 33/1 for best screenplay or some shit a couple of weeks ago.

Heart over head. it clearly has no hope as it hasn't received a glut of other minor awards like some of the leading contenders in the category which seems to be a pre-curser in these things.
                                                                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Is boyhood any use
                                                                                          Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                          No side down to 7/2, from 13/2, slightly regretting my decision to wait for 7/1 to be offered.

62.5 line looking like value.
                                                                                          Was it 67.5 that cunce here got in on?

Comment

Quite cunce.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                              Quite cunce.
                                                                                              that's a funny word
                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                that's a funny word
                                                                                                ta m8. Wonder should it go on the swear jar list though?

Need to price them up:

shit 5p
                                                                                                fuck 10p
                                                                                                cunt 15p
                                                                                                bastard 10p
                                                                                                cunce 4p
                                                                                                bitch 10p

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                  Has anyone recently checked who is cheapest for electricity. Planning to change from airtricity. All electricity in the apt and mostly use nights and weekends
                                                                                                  Bord Gais 10% off and €100 credit appeared the best to me when I changed the parents over last week.
                                                                                                  Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Bonkers.ie to compare electricity prices.
                                                                                                    May you live in interesting times!

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

@riggs will you send me your airbnb code? Making a whopping €1,700 booking on there, so you're about to land a whale!

Actually on that note:

Trying to pay the aforementioned €1,700 for first month in Rennes (a bit expensive, but it'll be a no hassle first month). The problem: Visa Debit has a single transaction limit of €1,500. Airbnb has no way to split payments and seemed surprised by the idea. What do I do, would anyone know? There's a longish work around of transferring money to brother then waiting for it to load on his credit card, but surely there's a more straightforward way than that. No possibility of bank transfer.
                                                                                                          Just do two separate but consecutive 15 day bookings for €850 each.
                                                                                                          The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                                            Was it 67.5 that cunce here got in on?
                                                                                                            some at 68.5

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                                Saw Selma today, thought it was weak and the lead actor had no presence, I understand why he wasn't nominated. Any kind of a genuinely good performance would have got him a nomination imo. Denzel got one for Malcolm X.
                                                                                                                Wow fairly surprised you could say that. Not a film buff at all but have seen a lot of documentaries and read a lot about MLK, lead absolutely nailed it imo.

Comment

Unfortunately doesn't work. It's €1280 per 15-day booking. Its a special monthly rate.
                                                                                                                  Ring them up, explain and demand satisfaction. Probably the biggest sale they'll ever make for Rennes.
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Wow fairly surprised you could say that. Not a film buff at all but have seen a lot of documentaries and read a lot about MLK, lead absolutely nailed it imo.
                                                                                                                    I thought the guy playing Governor Wallace was very good. I also thought the guy playing King nailed the cadences of his voice in the sermon\speech scenes but wasn't all that compelling outside them. In fact, the best bits for me where when you heard King's words but didn't see his face.

Also, casting Oprah. GTFO.
                                                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Ugh, house of cards S3 out next week, there go 13 hours of my life. I know its empty ludicrously plotted trash but won't be able to stop myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post

Also, casting Oprah. GTFO.
                                                                                                                        Think she was a big financial backer of the film. Same way Brad Pitt got himself inserted into 12 years a slave as the great white saviour

Comment

@riggs will you send me your airbnb code? Making a whopping €1,700 booking on there, so you're about to land a whale!

Actually on that note:

Trying to pay the aforementioned €1,700 for first month in Rennes (a bit expensive, but it'll be a no hassle first month). The problem: Visa Debit has a single transaction limit of €1,500. Airbnb has no way to split payments and seemed surprised by the idea. What do I do, would anyone know? There's a longish work around of transferring money to brother then waiting for it to load on his credit card, but surely there's a more straightforward way than that. No possibility of bank transfer.
                                                                                                                          How does the referral thing work

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X