X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the correct choice?

A: Whichever has the most SF supporters.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
        Sinn Fein now most popular party in Ireland. Shit just got real.

(edit: actually from relooking at that table, it appears this has happened before as well)

For the day that's in it great to see that everybody in the country will be rightly fucked.

Comment

Doing the rounds here
          Last edited by DeadParrot; 15-02-15, 00:06. Reason: can someone embed this for me im out of touch with technology it seems

Comment

Currently tippling from a Salmanazar of champagne.

/GAB
            I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

@hitch. The Taoiseach after the next election market with PP has no " others on request " or doesn't quote a price for no Taoiseach after next election. Is it simply the case of who is the next Taoiseach after the date of the next election even if it takes more than one election to find one ?

Comment

Currently in Tralee visiting pops, and Mia says think of a heading for a story and I'll write it so we all picked something. My father's partner picked the cracked mirror which she chose . Jesus im in shock here. She is only 9 and u would want to see the word doc she did. The story is amazing! Internet is brutal here. I'll post it tomorrow. I know I'm biased but I think she is highly intelligent
                Her sky-ness
                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Trippie View Post
                  remove the s from https

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                      Plastic > Paper dreams (and yes i did sit on the pitch)

Edit - bit nostalgic now but remember it like it was yesterday. My uncle (the fun one who is only 10 years older than me) arrived down from Sligo so the session was on with him & the aul lad. I was completely torn coz Leeds v Coventry FA Cup semi-final was on ITV and it was probably only the 3rd game that has been televised that season since August and i was mad to watch it. I distinctly remember my LOI pride kicking in and picking the Rovers semi (probably much to the disgust of the other two - but i was old enough to be dragged along). Only other thing i remember from the day, outside the match, was standing outside Ashtons with my Fanta in a bottle & the seeing dude about 5 yards away from getting stabbed. Ahh the 80s. (still unsure if the 2 games were on the same day but its a long time ago and thats my memory)
                      Eamonn sweeney writes about that day in his book "There's Only One Red Army". He writes romantically about how Rovers fans joined the shams fans in solidarity on the pitch. Tribal rivialies pushed aside, to make a LOI stand against the man...

But by the time i started going to the showgrounds in the early 90's whenever the shams came to town we'd always sing "Milltown's full of houses, Milltown's full of houses; nah,nah,nah,nah"

Comment

Comment

no idea tbh! Although don't see how there couldn't be a taoiseach after the next election.
                          Unlikely alright but Kenny has said he won't go in with FF, SF . I know what's said before an election and all that but what is the likely make up if he doesn't ?

I think FG will gain further ground and possibly to a lesser extent Labour as they dish out the goodies but they would still need a fair amount of independents to get a majority.

FF have said they won't go in with SF so is a hung Dail not even a remote possibility?

Comment

Comment

Comment

1. Websites that ask you to click on a Union Jack if you want the English version. Including bizarrely some of the Failte Ireland in-store touchscreens for tourist information.

3. The message on the Ulster Bank machines in Spars/Centras/etc that ask you to enter your pin, then the amount of cash, then wait a bit while the machine starts whirling - and then it pops up a message that consistently makes me want to kick the machine into a bloody pulp.

Message says 'Please remove the card if you have not already done so'.

But at no prior point were you let know that you could remove your card earlier in the process.
                                Its the English language and the Union Jack is the international symbol for it... if you wanted to use a makey up language that no one speaks you could click an Irish flag.

Far more annoyingthan the please take your card message (you will only have actually been able to remove the card a second or so before the message appears) is the fact that they force you to choose a language selection between Irish and English - a choice that there is not a single living human in need of - maybe if they had Polish or Arabic or Chinese it would be ok. Then after forcing you through a an unnecessary screen they offer you fastcash amounts whether or not they can dispense them. I'll have 120 pllease, No 20's available please remove your card and start again GTFO
                                Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Maybe i'm misunderstanding you, but there's still a taoiseach even if there is a hung dail.
                                  FG FF LAB coalition is about a 1.05 shot IMO

Comment

How do I get TMS to play on the phone

Last night on Tune In Radio R4LW switched to the FM channel and the Radio 5 live stream was playing that annoying rights restriction messsage and I'm getting the same shit on the Roberts Radio.

Its ok on a pc playing through using UnblockUS on the router but the phone would be handier... maybe I'll have to drag a Long Wave radio out of retirement

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                      Unlikely alright but Kenny has said he won't go in with FF, SF . I know what's said before an election and all that but what is the likely make up if he doesn't ?

FF have said they won't go in with SF so is a hung Dail not even a remote possibility?
                                      Incredibly unlikely that there wouldn't be a Taoiseach elected, someone will cobble together the 81 votes needed to elect a Taoiseach even if it takes a few weeks or longer to horsetrade it. How long it might last is a different matter.

I'd ignore anyone saying they won't go into coalition with X. Its an easy getaround afterwards to say that 'whilst we didn't want to go into government with X, the people have clearly decided by their votes that they want us to form a government with X, Y and a various rag tag of grasping single issue independents'.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                          Currently tippling from a Salmanazar of champagne.

/GAB
                                          Just in case you low breeds don't know what a Salmanazar is.....

Comment

recommend me a place for brunch/dinner tomorrow in town with the missus.
                                            romantic without a cravat would be a starter idea
                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                  Currently in Tralee visiting pops, and Mia says think of a heading for a story and I'll write it so we all picked something. My father's partner picked the cracked mirror which she chose . Jesus im in shock here. She is only 9 and u would want to see the word doc she did. The story is amazing! Internet is brutal here. I'll post it tomorrow. I know I'm biased but I think she is highly intelligent
                                                  On this, met one of my friends today and he told me a similar tale about his young lad and it floored me.

He has a six year old son. He (my mate) went to a parent teacher meeting a few days ago, the teacher told him they were in class the other day and she asked all the kids to think about what love meant to them, given it was Valentines week. What is their definition of love.

The kids pondered it for a while, most answered what you'd expect, 'love is big red hearts' 'love is mammy and daddy' 'love is teddy bears' etc etc

The teacher turned to my mate's little guy, sitting there silent with a distant thoughtful gaze.. 'Adam, what does love mean to you?'

He says to her, this six year old kid.....

'Love is like water, it's in us all'

Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                    There is a place beside the westbury that do a good brunch. Balfes
                                                    Last edited by elbows; 15-02-15, 00:54. Reason: remembered
                                                    His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

What town? That would help a little
                                                      SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post
                                                        Eamonn sweeney writes about that day in his book "There's Only One Red Army". He writes romantically about how Rovers fans joined the shams fans in solidarity on the pitch. Tribal rivialies pushed aside, to make a LOI stand against the man...

But by the time i started going to the showgrounds in the early 90's whenever the shams came to town we'd always sing "Milltown's full of houses, Milltown's full of houses; nah,nah,nah,nah"
                                                        Yeah I know. My uncle ended up in Strandhill (there since) around about '85. He was still fairly diehard SR for a while buy i remember him bringing his eldset lad up to the RDS about '95 and 3 of us walking behind the stand into the match. Cue about 500 SR fans behind my 15yo cousin in his Sligo top chanting "Baaahhhhh" (as in you Culchie sheep shagging fkr) and he launched into them in a fit of rage and all hell breaking loose. Fun times.

I also remember almost getting killed walking past "The Shed" a few times though

PS - if you don't mind me saying, I'm not sure if it was said here, and hopefully you now recognise what he did for Ireland, but RIP to your father a year later. You should be proud.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          How do I get TMS to play on the phone

Last night on Tune In Radio R4LW switched to the FM channel and the Radio 5 live stream was playing that annoying rights restriction messsage and I'm getting the same shit on the Roberts Radio.

Its ok on a pc playing through using UnblockUS on the router but the phone would be handier... maybe I'll have to drag a Long Wave radio out of retirement
                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                            There is a runaway trolley barreling down the railway tracks. Ahead, on the tracks, there are five people tied up and unable to move. The trolley is headed straight for them. You are standing some distance off in the train yard, next to a lever. If you pull this lever, the trolley will switch to a different set of tracks. However, you notice that there is one person on the side track. You have two options: (1) Do nothing, and the trolley kills the five people on the main track. (2) Pull the lever, diverting the trolley onto the side track where it will kill one person. Which is the correct choice?

A: Whichever has the most SF supporters.
                                                            they can all go fuck themselves

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                              they can all go fuck themselves
                                                              Fuck you dave
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Language.

Comment

A few old-school technology pet peeves that keep cropping up.

1. Websites that ask you to click on a Union Jack if you want the English version. Including bizarrely some of the Failte Ireland in-store touchscreens for tourist information.

2. PermanentTSB in-branch banking machines that you are now forced to use instead of the counter. That's grand. Its progress. If people would stop giving fcking cheques we'd never go near you. But... you've emblazoned the banking machine hall with huge posters pointing at the machines and exclaiming BEAT THE QUEUES!!! I spend every moment in the always-present queue for those machines thinking: marketingbros, go into your branch once in a while, do a bit of fieldwork, realise the rage you are creating in your customers. Just take down the signs; its grand, we're used to queuing, but don't force people to queue while having to read signs about how what they are queuing for is the answer to not queuing.

And the biggie:

3. The message on the Ulster Bank machines in Spars/Centras/etc that ask you to enter your pin, then the amount of cash, then wait a bit while the machine starts whirling - and then it pops up a message that consistently makes me want to kick the machine into a bloody pulp.

Message says 'Please remove the card if you have not already done so'.

But at no prior point were you let know that you could remove your card earlier in the process.

Feels like the message is saying that if you are a dumbass who still has your card in the machine, could you please be a good little boy and remove it?

Whereas the fault is entirely theirs.

But there's no-one to complain to. Its just a dumb machine. You take your money and grumble slightly. Can imagine it builds up over time though in people and we're just on the cusp of a spate of Ulster Bank ATM arsons.
                                                                  Beat that machine to death and get your card. You don't deserve its retarded lip.

Bag of cans while adding padlocks to the ha'penny bridge.

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                  On this, met one of my friends today and he told me a similar tale about his young lad and it floored me.

He has a six year old son. He (my mate) went to a parent teacher meeting a few days ago, the teacher told him they were in class the other day and she asked all the kids to think about what love meant to them, given it was Valentines week. What is their definition of love.

The kids pondered it for a while, most answered what you'd expect, 'love is big red hearts' 'love is mammy and daddy' 'love is teddy bears' etc etc

The teacher turned to my mate's little guy, sitting there silent with a distant thoughtful gaze.. 'Adam, what does love mean to you?'

He says to her, this six year old kid.....

'Love is like water, it's in us all'

Wow.
                                                                  Needs to ease up on the smhoke.

Have it - decent trade for you but i have 3 of them somewhere. (just need to find em)

Programme from Shamrock Rovers last ever game at Milltown v Sligo in '87?
                                                                  Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                  Bro, he said he was trying to trade up from a stapler
                                                                  Plastic > Paper dreams (and yes i did sit on the pitch)

Edit - bit nostalgic now but remember it like it was yesterday. My uncle (the fun one who is only 10 years older than me) arrived down from Sligo so the session was on with him & the aul lad. I was completely torn coz Leeds v Coventry FA Cup semi-final was on ITV and it was probably only the 3rd game that has been televised that season since August and i was mad to watch it. I distinctly remember my LOI pride kicking in and picking the Rovers semi (probably much to the disgust of the other two - but i was old enough to be dragged along). Only other thing i remember from the day, outside the match, was standing outside Ashtons with my Fanta in a bottle & the seeing dude about 5 yards away from getting stabbed. Ahh the 80s. (still unsure if the 2 games were on the same day but its a long time ago and thats my memory)
                                                                  Sounds cool, it's a deal. Bit of a niche market.

I was hoping this lad was a fan but turns out he like St Pats. Also Celtic, all the way.
                                                                  Bet he'd have some interesting things for swapsies.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

End game is a tropical Island or a Ferrari, I'm flexible of course. I dunno.
                                                                  Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 15-02-15, 11:44.
                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                    Fuck you dave
                                                                    Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                    Language.
                                                                    We need a swear jar in here for lent. Agree upon some rules and implement it.
                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                      We need a swear jar in here for lent. Agree upon some rules and implement it.
                                                                      Idiots

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                          There is a place beside the westbury that do a good brunch. Balfes
                                                                          Went there once, it was terrible

Odessa, Honest to goodness, 777, Hatch and Sons are all solid

Comment

Originally posted by HiCloy View Post
                                                                            Went there once, it was terrible

Odessa, Honest to goodness, 777, Hatch and Sons are all solid
                                                                            Was thinking along those lines cheers.
                                                                            An engagement photoshoot. What in the world are we coming to?

Comment

A horse by the name of Chief Brody runs in the bumper at Ffos Las today. Just saying.
                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                There should be some kind of warning on their election material:

"Not to be taken seriously".
                                                                                TBF the same warning should be on ALL election material. Has always been a huge gulf between pre-election promises/manifestos, programmes for Govt and actual political outcomes.

By now I think people, 'the electorate' instinctively now that election material is merely the sh*te the parties use for the purposes of pre election debates, even the most niave of us would be unlikely to anticipate actual implementation. Remember the 'no more payments to bondholders?'.

It's partly why the Greece situation is of interest at the moment - a new Goverment who are spending at least the first two weeks of their term looking like they are at least trying to implement some of what they promised. Political establishments worldwide have an interest in stopping that kind of carry-on, right now.

Comment

no idea tbh! Although don't see how there couldn't be a taoiseach after the next election.
                                                                                  There is always a Taoiseach - the present one remains in situ until the new one is elected.

What there could be is no 'new' Taoiseach after an election. So the new Dail fails to vote in any new Taoiseach [think a scenario where a number of parties propose their own leaders but none of them get the 81 votes plus], then then 'old' Taoiseach goes back to the park, advises the President that a majority Govt cannot be formed and we have another election.

Don't think it has ever happened, though we have come close in that we had a 'minority' government for a while after Alan Dukes 'Tallaght strategy'.

Comment

It's estimated that in 1987 the worlds total computing power was that to match a single modern computer now. I love that shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Midnitekowby View Post

I looked at a house in Miltown once, pissed myself laughing when I stepped into the garden, much to the bemusement of the would be housemates

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                                                        Feed The Yak and he will score.
                                                                                        Apparantly he's still only 32. Hmmmm.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                                                          There is always a Taoiseach - the present one remains in situ until the new one is elected.

What there could be is no 'new' Taoiseach after an election. So the new Dail fails to vote in any new Taoiseach [think a scenario where a number of parties propose their own leaders but none of them get the 81 votes plus], then then 'old' Taoiseach goes back to the park, advises the President that a majority Govt cannot be formed and we have another election.

Don't think it has ever happened, though we have come close in that we had a 'minority' government for a while after Alan Dukes 'Tallaght strategy'.
                                                                                          Thanks that's was what I meant but worded it badly. There's an info pop up on the PP page that says " applies to first Taoiseach after next general election " so I presume in the unlikely situation you describe above the bet would just roll on if another election was necessary .

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                            phone just died, touchscreen seems fucked.

what phone should i get to replace it of the normal available on meteor or whatever?
                                                                                            Xperia z3 looks the job
                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

Xperia z3 looks the job
                                                                                              HTC one or Nexus is a good job

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                HTC one or Nexus is a good job
                                                                                                HTC one m8? Spec on xperia much better than both it seems..
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

There should be some kind of warning on their election material:

"Not to be taken seriously".
                                                                                                  I find it amusing that you believe that makes them different to any of our parties.
                                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

That's not 'Election Material' though...

Comment

Watching yesterdays game back having attended yesterday. ( I frightened the shite of numerous frenchies yesterday with my roaring).

I'm really enjoying it. Sure no tries, certainly mistakes made but an honesty of effort and a single bloody mindless and unbending will to win that I just love. Fuck the neutrals, the fair weather fans and those who want to be entertained. I'll take games like that until my dying day and be happy.

Rugby goes through cycles of tactics a bit like GAA or nfl of defense versus offense and the best tactics to employ given rule changes and interpretations and the players available. As long as I see physical commitment and bravery I'll be watching them all.
                                                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                        Watching yesterdays game back having attended yesterday. ( I frightened the shite of numerous frenchies yesterday with my roaring).

I'm really enjoying it. Sure no tries, certainly mistakes made but an honesty of effort and a single bloody mindless and unbending will to win that I just love. Fuck the neutrals, the fair weather fans and those who want to be entertained. I'll take games like that until my dying day and be happy.

Rugby goes through cycles of tactics a bit like GAA or nfl of defense versus offense and the best tactics to employ given rule changes and interpretations and the players available. As long as I see physical commitment and bravery I'll be watching them all.
                                                                                                        Totally agree, thought it was a brilliant game of rugby.
                                                                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                          I find it amusing that you believe that makes them different to any of our parties.
                                                                                                          Don't get me wrong, I'm no huge fan of any of our parties. FG the 'least worst' IMO, the system is the real problem.

But people seem to be judging this government unfairly. The country was in receivership when they came into power, unemployment was ~15% and it looked an evens shot we would default.

Now, unemployment is heading back down under 10%. That in itself is an unbelievable achievement. The budget is firmly under control, the government is able to put (limited) money back in people's pockets, there's even been a few bits of progressive legislation passed.

Yet we have a huge % of the population saying they will vote for parties whose only policies are oppositionism (and are starting to look like single issue ponies i.e. water charges) and the sort of waffly Trotskyite nonsense that any spotty first year politics student would be embarrassed to spout. Look at Greece - Syriza's bullshit has been exposed (we don't want a bailout but er, we do and no, we won't reform our irredeemably corrupt and clientelist state). Do we really want to jeopardise what we've done here by electing Irish equivalents? Why?

As said before, I'd prefer a fiscally conservative, socially progressive option. We haven't got one so I'll stick with FG at the next election.
                                                                                                          Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 15-02-15, 14:24.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                            Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                            That's not 'Election Material' though...
                                                                                                            Exactly, that's a pre-budget submission, serious opposition parties get theirs examined and costed by the Dept of Finance, SP and SF don't for some reason.

Comment

Just made a carbonnade flamande for 12 people. 2.5kg of beef marinated in Chimay and garlic overnight.

Obviously downplaying expectations but will be very disappointed if this isn't the best thing I've eaten in 2015 so far.

Comment

Just made a carbonnade flamande for 12 people. 2.5kg of beef marinated in Chimay and garlic overnight.

Obviously downplaying expectations but will be very disappointed if this isn't the best thing I've eaten in 2015 so far.
                                                                                                                Pics or GTFO.

Comment

This was just missing the phrase "tactical game of chess" from being the most cliched fans overly defensive/sentimental reaction to criticism of their favourite sport.

The game was shit full stop.
                                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Mourinho the perfect example.

Plays to his strengths. Used to be Park the Bus and now he attacks. You set yourself up to compete as best you can considering the opposition and the players you have.

Not being pretty and winning is a lot better than trying to be something you're not and losing.

People want to be entertained but people are stupid

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                      This was just missing the phrase "tactical game of chess" from being the most cliched fans overly defensive/sentimental reaction to criticism of their favourite sport.

The game was shit full stop.
                                                                                                                      The French were terrible the passing was very poor behind the man into touch . Heaslip has a broken vertebrae in his back redic pape didn't get red regardless of the injury. The kick chase very effective bores me to tears though.

Comment

HTC one m8? Spec on xperia much better than both it seems..
                                                                                                                        Not sure the latest. I would read reviews as sometimes the phones have problems regardless of the specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                                          It's estimated that in 1987 the worlds total computing power was that to match a single modern computer now. I love that shit.
                                                                                                                          So do I but that stat sounds off by a factor of x^n

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X