Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the wave of the future: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ils-seriously-

tl:dr, weedie drink

Time to throw a kickstarter together
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
      There can be no grater gift.
      that's the cheesiest pun I've ever heard
      Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
        to get up in 5 hours or not fucking bother, that is a question
        ...Stay in bed...Its Friday...

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
          Standby for a breaking news story of Tiger testing positives for PEDs in 2008. I understand from a golf journo that the reveal is close to imminent.
          The arguments here (from Aug 2013) are very convincing.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Really high chance I'm going to move back to Dublin next month and have been looking at renting a 2bed in Dublin. Rent prices have gone absolutely nuts in the 3 years since I have left. Pretty difficult to get a nice place in a good location for under 1500/month, looks like getting a mortgage is the better option.

Have house prices shown any indication that they might drop again after the government announced the new rules regarding lending from the banks?

Also, does anyone know of any good places to stay short-term, like up to a month while I get things sorted out?

Comment

Fck me that's what I thought you would say
                Is that good or bad?
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                  Really high chance I'm going to move back to Dublin next month and have been looking at renting a 2bed in Dublin. Rent prices have gone absolutely nuts in the 3 years since I have left. Pretty difficult to get a nice place in a good location for under 1500/month, looks like getting a mortgage is the better option.

Have house prices shown any indication that they might drop again after the government announced the new rules regarding lending from the banks?

Also, does anyone know of any good places to stay short-term, like up to a month while I get things sorted out?
                  Not much chance of a drop (close to zero in Dublin anyway) short-term I'm afraid. Medium-long term: "events dear boy, events" but ya gotta live somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Starting to regret over-committing to the wife's morning sickness tea at the start. Lemon and ginger teabag as a base. Squeezed fresh lemon and crushed ginger, and the absolute fcker - cardamom pods individually opened and the seeds chopped and placed in a tea strainer. Takes easily 10 minutes. Can't back out now though as its now an expected part of the morning routine.
                    ffs give her one of these, 3 seconds, job done

Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                      ffs give her one of these, 3 seconds, job done

Youre such an aul one
                      airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Not much chance of a drop (close to zero in Dublin anyway) short-term I'm afraid. Medium-long term: "events dear boy, events" but ya gotta live somewhere.
                        I'm not sure.
                        Bank person i was speaking to said the amount of AIP that was reported in the last quarter was grossly over exaggerated.

Unless docs exchanged hands with the banks they are invalid. So over the phone and banking approvals are dead already. New measures are in since this week.

I've actually had an estate agent contact me this week.
                        No let up in houses going on the market and a few new builds have gotten a step closer to being built.

Obviously looking at this in a way i want to be looking at it but is a 5% decrease in Dublin in 2015 unrealistic?

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                          I'm not sure.
                          Bank person i was speaking to said the amount of AIP that was reported in the last quarter was grossly over exaggerated.

Unless docs exchanged hands with the banks they are invalid. So over the phone and banking approvals are dead already. New measures are in since this week.

I've actually had an estate agent contact me this week.
                          No let up in houses going on the market and a few new builds have gotten a step closer to being built.

Obviously looking at this in a way i want to be looking at it but is a 5% decrease in Dublin in 2015 unrealistic?
                          I think it is (unfortunately). Plenty of demand, limited supply and the credit restrictions will be gotten around, one way or another.

Comment

Curious about what I could buy for my rent. Seems very flawed that mortgage calculators ask how much you want to borrow and then tell you how much the monthly payments are rather than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              I think it is (unfortunately). Plenty of demand, limited supply and the credit restrictions will be gotten around, one way or another.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelt...s/house-prices
                              Max bet of .90c?

Comment

Surely 'Dublin' is too diverse a housing market to aggregate into a meaningful figure?

Comment

Off to Tankardstown House tonight for the Valentines meal.

Has anyone from here been before? Is it as good as people make out?

Comment

Couldn't work out the 'fuss' over a Tiger and wtf it was about as I didn't know what PED's was. Googled PED's , reread post and administered appropiate face palms.

Too early for me .................

Comment

Still stuck for a V-day card? Fear not Romeos, we got dis.

You might think that the dismal science has very little to offer on matters of the heart.  But I disagree.  And so does Elisabeth Fosslien. She’s a brilliant young analyst interested in design, math, and economics. Yes, she’s the sort of person who dressed up as a bear market for Halloween.  All this makes her the perfect person for economics-themed data visualization. And so when #FedValentines lit up Twitter last week, she decided to go a step further, and provide the perfect valentine for the economist in your life.  Make your selection, below:
                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

neither. it is predictable though.

EDIT - some interesting horse racing news on Sky Sports
                                        Do you get fed up counting it

Comment

Comment

Comment

Tá mé Paul fós

paul murphy, jobstown, protest, joan burton, water charges, irish water, TheJournal.ie

interview with him from 3 months ago regarding #JobstownGate
                                              Last edited by Emmet; 13-02-15, 10:16.

Comment

Planning in Dublin, plus population demographics, means house prices are only going up the medium to long term.

Nice to see that Dun Laoighaire this week played their role in addressing the housing shortage by requiring that all new builds from 2016 follow a passive house technique (essentially minimal energy use). In the UK this has added 10% to the cost of building. The money is saved over the life of the house, but that's scant comfort if you can't afford to buy the fecking things in the first place.

Apartment planning is the most lolbad though. And maybe Ghostface can fill in the technical details. Irish apartments minimum standards for size are far bigger than in other major cities. Essentially all apartments are designed for comfortable living. But there's a large proportion of a younger population who just want somewhere basic to live and don't want to be paying for a family apartment. No one is allowed to build apartments for these people though. Also all apartments have to have an attached car parking space. Adding hugely to the cost (think its around €20-30k). Even though 1 space per four apartments would be standard in the continent.
                                                Is that apartment/car parking space rule new? Some of the apartments, build over the past 10 years in the Grand Canal Dock area, definitely were sold without car parking spaces.

I had always heard that the biggest problem with Irish apartments is that they were too small in terms of practical use of space; no storage space (we see this and we're a childless couple living in a 85 square metre 3-bed duplex! still not enough space), and that the apartments in Europe were all much better designed for long term living? Certainly any friends I've visited living in apartments in Germany or Denmark have more space, both bigger rooms and a choice of storage facilities, whether within the apartment itself or a dedicated area in the basement of the block, sadly lacking in Irish apartment blocks!

Comment

NH WP
                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Nice one! Time to give up the day job soon I reckon. Become a full time man about town.
                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                        Tá mé Paul fós

paul murphy, jobstown, protest, joan burton, water charges, irish water, TheJournal.ie

interview with him from 3 months ago regarding #JobstownGate
                                                        LOL he actually admits to holding her against her will and debates how long is fair.
                                                        How fucking stupid is he? However stupid he is its not even close to how arrogant he is.

Comment

Also, this was excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                            I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised, I'm as cynical as anyone when it comes to PEDs, the 'wow' was more in relation to it being Tiger, i.e. a huge catch for the authorities.
                                                            Bizzarely when I woke up at five this morning my first thought instead of being why the feck did I offer to get up and drive No1 Daughter to the airport was Oh yea he meant Wow that will be a huge story rather than Wow I thought Tiger was clean

Comment

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 13-02-15, 10:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                  Curious about what I could buy for my rent. Seems very flawed that mortgage calculators ask how much you want to borrow and then tell you how much the monthly payments are rather than the other way around.
                                                                  hmmm, place for sale in my building for not much more than I rent (and my rent is way below market) hohum.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Bizzarely when I woke up at five this morning my first thought instead of being why the feck did I offer to get up and drive No1 Daughter to the airport was Oh yea he meant Wow that will be a huge story rather than Wow I thought Tiger was clean
                                                                    Has anything came out about this yet?

Comment

Planning in Dublin, plus population demographics, means house prices are only going up the medium to long term.

Nice to see that Dun Laoighaire this week played their role in addressing the housing shortage by requiring that all new builds from 2016 follow a passive house technique (essentially minimal energy use). In the UK this has added 10% to the cost of building. The money is saved over the life of the house, but that's scant comfort if you can't afford to buy the fecking things in the first place.

Apartment planning is the most lolbad though. And maybe Ghostface can fill in the technical details. Irish apartments minimum standards for size are far bigger than in other major cities. Essentially all apartments are designed for comfortable living. But there's a large proportion of a younger population who just want somewhere basic to live and don't want to be paying for a family apartment. No one is allowed to build apartments for these people though. Also all apartments have to have an attached car parking space. Adding hugely to the cost (think its around €20-30k). Even though 1 space per four apartments would be standard in the continent.
                                                                      Always thought that 1 bed city centre apartments were very small. If there were rules in place to prevent them being actually smaller than they currently are then I approve of these rules.
                                                                      As for the 'passive house technique' adding 10% to the cost of building, again I don't see the problem. Presumably lots and lots of rules & regs add to the cost price - whether its electricity standards, indoor plumbing, partition wall insulation, fire safety. No-one would seriously suggest getting rid of a few of those regulations even though build prices would plummet. If as you admit the new regulation create a longterm benefit then it looks a good reg to me.

Comment

Interview from ESPN last night with Michael Wilbon saying he's not necessarily buying the allegations, haven't seen any allegations yet though!

PTI's Michael Wilbon dismisses the rumor that Tiger Woods used PED's, talks about Woods' decision to take an indefinite leave of absence from golf and shares his potential NBA Finals matchup.

Comment

Comment

Did the IPB horse syndicate get off the ground that time?

If so, how is it doing?

Comment

...

Comment

hmmm, place for sale in my building for not much more than I rent (and my rent is way below market) hohum.
                                                                                Rents are stupid in comparison to mortgages right now. Good time to be a landlord, very bad time to be working class.

What Hitch said about demographics is spot on. So many Pope Babies who helped drive the boom by being young and dynamic are now hitting that time in their lives when they want to put down roots. Our government are setting back a whole lot of ordinary people's lives because they can't figure out how to shackle the banking industry without hamstringing it.
                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The idea of building a housing estate in Naas instead of slightly smaller apartments without 1-for-1 parking spaces in Dublin is the end result of this. (@iona: re earlier point, I think it is a relatively recent thing about parking).

Apartment regulations in Dublin are also a lot more demanding than outside Dublin too. So there's an implicit policy push towards people having to make long commutes to satisfy some ideal that a lot of people aren't even asking for in where they live.

Passive housing sounds like a great idea, but we know that the biggest step for most people is getting onto the housing ladder in the first place, and this just pushes that further away.

Once again, its putting perfection over practicality.
                                                                                  Remove this term from your lexicon.

Comment

...

Comment

So fucking Irish, 5 mins looking at google and I'm contemplating buying property.

Could buy a slightly nicer place for not more than my rent on a 15y mortgage, if I move to Malta I can rent it and easily cover costs, earn low tax loots and come back mortgage free with the Luas on my doorstep. Has to be a flaw in there somewhere (tax main one).

Comment

Looking to rent in Malta makes you appreciate the agents we have in Ireland.

Comment

So fucking Irish, 5 mins looking at google and I'm contemplating buying property.

Could buy a slightly nicer place for not more than my rent on a 15y mortgage, if I move to Malta I can rent it and easily cover costs, earn low tax loots and come back mortgage free with the Luas on my doorstep. Has to be a flaw in there somewhere (tax main one).
                                                                                          Yeah I'm pretty sure that tax on rental income for for non-resident landlords is mahusive.
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                                            Have always heard that alright, slightly odd too since you're the one paying the fee. You currently over there?

Comment

Suppose the issue is that everything is about ensuring the perfect place to live is a minimum standard. Not everyone wants to pay for that. A lot of people at certain stages in their life are happy to have cheaper rent for a slightly worse place to live when all they are using it for is a place to sleep.

The minimum standard shouldn't be perfection. It's destroying the feasibility of building city centre apartments, and reducing density levels, which we need to support decent public transport.

And more importantly, we're the only country in Europe to have such high standards. Given how established apartment living is in Europe (40%) vs Ireland (3%), its highly likely the continentals have it worked out better than us.
                                                                                              Just had a look and the size regulations are a minimum of 55m2 for a one-bed whilst the average for a whole development should be no less than 85m2.
                                                                                              I see your point now, these look too big.
                                                                                              I was thinking more of the terrible 199x Zoe Developments 30m2 shoe box apartments and am glad they are gone, but 55m2 does look too big a minimum.

Comment

uuuggghhhh
                                                                                                Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Get on the facebook groups, No Agents rent group and some similar ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                    uuuggghhhh
                                                                                                    The closer we get to Summer the worse it will get, looking to rent for 1000 or less and they'll see it as hardly worth their while looking at it. The agents charge you and the landlord half a months rent each and have zero involvement after the contract is signed

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                      The closer we get to Summer the worse it will get, looking to rent for 1000 or less and they'll see it as hardly worth their while looking at it. The agents charge you and the landlord half a months rent each and have zero involvement after the contract is signed
                                                                                                      Fantastic Stuck waiting on the sale to go through and can't make plans or commit until it does so it looks like being April at the earliest before we can even get over there and look at places.

If you have any recommendations for landlords/agents I'd love to get them.

Comment

...

Comment

Join the FB groups, am sure there are some decent agents out there but havent met one really worth recommending.

Comment

Have always heard that alright, slightly odd too since you're the one paying the fee. You currently over there?
                                                                                                            Yep just moved over and am looking for a place to stay form 6 months to 1 year initially. Currently in a short term place and using it as a hub to view as many places as possible. Have had no luck yet due to a mix of uncertainly of desired location and letting agents trying to max out and over extend my budget. Have went and came back from the stage of looking at the potential of buying and doing up a place vs renting.

For renting, basically the owner hires several letting agents and they all are fighting to lease the same property. The agents usually know the landlord as Malta is a small place and it seems every property owner has numerous places. Rental websites are nothing but a shop window and never updated/accurate. A few times we were brought to see the same place twice by different agents.

I think the fees work like:

1 months rent upfront
                                                                                                            1 months rent as a deposit
                                                                                                            1/2 months rent as a fee to agent and the owner pays the other half.

Some times they try to charge VAT too. I'm not sure if that is normal or not but obviously get a receipt if they do charge it.

Landlords themselves have a pocked book of scams from; ending up paying ~65% extra for water and electricity compared to normal rates, to keeping deposits as a standard entitlement. Tenants have little rights or power here. More so for foreigners.

You can pay very little or as much as you like for a place depending on the area. Seems Sliema, Gzira and Ta 'Xbix are flooded with iGaming executives who have no problem paying 2500-3000 P/M for the likes of this: http://www.franksalt.com.mt/Search/P...spx?ref=450315 (prob 220 sq/m in size) and as a result the rental market in the CBD is significantly inflated compared to the outer regions. The trade off is that traffic is awful so you probably want to be within walking distance or on a decent bus corridor.

That's all my perception from 1 week here. Bohsman undoubtedly has a better knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                              Join the FB groups, am sure there are some decent agents out there but havent met one really worth recommending.

Yup, in them all. Have a few connections in iGaming companies who have dealt with a lot of agents and have recommended one guy from Frank Salt. Definitely the best so far but my criteria is probably a little picky for most of their likings!

Comment

Landlords themselves have a pocked book of scams from; ending up paying ~65% extra for water and electricity compared to normal rates, to keeping deposits as a standard entitlement. Tenants have little rights or power here. More so for foreigners.

You can pay very little or as much as you like for a place depending on the area. Seems Sliema, Gzira and Ta 'Xbix are flooded with iGaming executives who have no problem paying 2500-3000 P/M for the likes of this: http://www.franksalt.com.mt/Search/P...spx?ref=450315 (prob 220 sq/m in size) and as a result the rental market in the CBD is significantly inflated compared to the outer regions. The trade off is that traffic is awful so you probably want to be within walking distance or on a decent bus corridor.

That's all my perception from 1 week here. Bohsman undoubtedly has a better knowledge.
                                                                                                                All very accurate. Sliema way overpriced, St Julians expensive but not too bad, Gzira and Swieqi the main value areas I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                                  uuuggghhhh
                                                                                                                  Perfect excuse to move to Vegas imo

Comment

I am guessing here but I figure there are currently multiple editors wanting to break it along with multiple teams of legal counsel saying "but wait".
                                                                                                                    lol. . .

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                      Always thought that 1 bed city centre apartments were very small. If there were rules in place to prevent them being actually smaller than they currently are then I approve of these rules.
                                                                                                                      As for the 'passive house technique' adding 10% to the cost of building, again I don't see the problem. Presumably lots and lots of rules & regs add to the cost price - whether its electricity standards, indoor plumbing, partition wall insulation, fire safety. No-one would seriously suggest getting rid of a few of those regulations even though build prices would plummet. If as you admit the new regulation create a longterm benefit then it looks a good reg to me.
                                                                                                                      There is absolutely no need to build houses to passive standard in a moderate temperate climate like Ireland. As for 10%added to build cost I would say it would be more like 20%.
                                                                                                                      To get to passive standards is seriously difficult.
                                                                                                                      I have lived on and of in New York over the years and they don't even insulate houses over there (even 100 million+houses on the upper east side).
                                                                                                                      Not much double glazing and absolutely no thoughts to air tightness. This is in a city with serious prolonged extremes of weather (40°in summer down to-20°, in winter).
                                                                                                                      Instead in our climate we are paying serious money for standards which probably only apply for three days a year.
                                                                                                                      I mean if it's too warm open a window and if it's too cold put the heat on for an extra hour. You would be a long time breaking even on the build cost versus the extra but of oil.

Comment

The trade off is that traffic is awful so you probably want to be within walking distance or on a decent bus corridor.
                                                                                                                        Always slightly surprised that they never constructed some cheap rail lines as they seem to have a perfect setup for it with such a high density population and a flat landscape. A line all the way down the east coast and a few branches would have been fine. Wouldn't needed to have been particularly high speed or hi tech, even a 25 mile double track line like our Dart would make a huge difference. Far too late now as everything has been built on. They don't appear to be a particularly driven people for such ideas.

Can only emphasise as others have said that the traffic is truly terrible and the bus system is a complete slow moving zigzagging shambles with 10 mile journeys timetabled for 90 minutes. Dublin is like a smooth running fantasy compared to it. Even as a relaxed tourist for a week I found it so frustrating.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                          Always slightly surprised that they never constructed some cheap rail lines as they seem to have a perfect setup for it with such a high density population and a flat landscape. A line all the way down the east coast and a few branches would have been fine. Wouldn't needed to have been particularly high speed or hi tech, even a 25 mile double track line like our Dart would make a huge difference. Far too late now as everything has been built on. They don't appear to be a particularly driven people for such ideas.

Can only emphasise as others have said that the traffic is truly terrible and the bus system is a complete slow moving zigzagging shambles with 10 mile journeys timetabled for 90 minutes. Dublin is like a smooth running fantasy compared to it. Even as a relaxed tourist for a week I found it so frustrating.
                                                                                                                          Most of it is walkable though You're never more than 1 hour from anywhere else you want to be even on foot

he says in hope

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X