• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
    SPOILER
    GTFO LSB

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Tech Question

I downloaded an app on my iPhone called HD Cinema. Tried to download the same app on my iPad and it says "safari can not download this file"

Any suggestions?
      twitter
      moneybookers

Comment

Denny, Hitch, PokerPiper, Iago, anyone else...

Anyone know anything about buying shares when a company goes public?
        They set a date and time for the IPO and state that x amount of shares are offered at $X. Say $X is $15, sometimes you then read that the shares opened way higher etc. How do you access them at $15? Or are they only available at that price to institutional investors? I've never traded individual equities so don't know how the IPO process works.

Comment

Originally posted by cooker3 View Post
          That's me as well except I am blowing all my money on travel...Well at least I will have the memories in 40 years when I'm living in some shelter without a pension!
          They memory is the 1st to go
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
            Seperate rooms is a bit silly. Who doesn't like snuggling before you go to sleep? Wrong people, that's who. That said, seperate duvets is a big winner for me. It's amazing how much better you sleep without contesting for warmth with another person. Wife seems to think there's something wrong with that but I think she's just annoyed that it makes it harder for her to plonk her cold feet on me while I'm trying to snooze.

As for couples living in 1-bed apartments, this is just impractical in the long term. Firstly it's quite nice to have guests sometimes, and secondly you need somewhere to store the piles of useless stuff you will inevitably accumulate.
            Separate duvets is weird.
            SuperValu did these throws/blankets before xmas that has revolutionized bedtime in my gaff.
            €15 ea, and use them as a mattress cover.
            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Assumed seperate bedrooms would be more common. Guess it explains, what I had chalked down as a massive overreaction.

Comment

Maybe start easy with a bundling board and work your way up to sperate bedrooms

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                  I downloaded an app on my iPhone called HD Cinema. Tried to download the same app on my iPad and it says "safari can not download this file"

Any suggestions?
                  Bin your ipad

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                    Assumed seperate bedrooms would be more common. Guess it explains, what I had chalked down as a massive overreaction.
                    You need to stop watching Rich old man, yung wan wife, Presbyterian, American period dramas!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                      Better. Still not UPC level, but better.

Is that actual fiber of eircoms version of fiber through the copper phone lines ?
                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        yikes, the pay over there isnt great

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          Weeks holiday this week

Short notice so nothing planned

Decided on a bit of local sight seeing (places I haven't seen yet), apply for jobs and gym for the week

Got flu & chest thing, worst flu ive ever had (fever, hallucinations the lot)

bed ridden

Left the sick bed today for a quick walk, 30 seconds from house and the hail stones start
                          Decided to make a business plan for my life, with live somewhere warm being the corner stone of it

Comment

This is very good lol

Some of the others very good too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSnx4V_RewE#t=13

I put words in people's mouths. Baracksdubs mashes together people's words to the tune of popular music, based on fan requests. Have a suggestion for a dub? Tweet the suggestion with the hashtag #baracksdubs. Created by Fadi Saleh. Some Inspirations: -Neil Cicierga -The Gregory Brothers -Brock Baker
                            Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

On the way to Kildare town to meet a m8, looking for a bit of drunken cash later, is the poker club still open there or will we have to head to Naas?
                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                Is that actual fiber of eircoms version of fiber through the copper phone lines ?
                                It's fibre to the cabinet then copper the rest of the way. The cabinet is only 5m from my building though so not a lot of degradation in the signal. Vodafone are just a reseller of eircom.

Comment

It's fibre to the cabinet then copper the rest of the way. The cabinet is only 5m from my building though so not a lot of degradation in the signal. Vodafone are just a reseller of eircom.
                                  Fibre to home coming soon.
                                  Actually minces UPC in a lot of tests.
                                  However, UPC prolly just bump up the speeds again

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                    On the way to Kildare town to meet a m8, looking for a bit of drunken cash later, is the poker club still open there or will we have to head to Naas?
                                    yeah its still there, do you want me to find out is there anything going on there later?

Edit, 35 FO on tonight and cash later
                                    Last edited by SatNav; 29-01-15, 21:01.
                                    Her sky-ness
                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                      Ya, hopefully in the next year or so that will be available. Will it be more complicated for apartments do you know compared to houses? All the ESB/Vodafone FTTH 'coming soon' locations skip most of Dublin though. This is because of the underground cabling I assume?

I read somewhere that UPC can pretty much upgrade their service to 400mb or so without any further changes to their own lines.

Comment

Brag: Mortgage paid off on my well appointed passive house in the sticks.

Beat:
                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

guess when you've got a query,this is the place to go!!
                                          anyone here used stag organising companies. stagit.ie stagparty.ie etc.
                                          got to organise a stag & was looking at galway for the june bank hol. some of the packages they put together seem pretty good value so just wondering if anyones had experience of dealing with them. cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by underachievement View Post
                                            guess when you've got a query,this is the place to go!!
                                            anyone here used stag organising companies. stagit.ie stagparty.ie etc.
                                            got to organise a stag & was looking at galway for the june bank hol. some of the packages they put together seem pretty good value so just wondering if anyones had experience of dealing with them. cheers.
                                            I used http://www.henparty.ie/ to help organise my friends Hen and they were absolutly brill, could not fault them and wasnt ripped off in anyway.

We did a photo shoot that lasted about 2 hours and were given the disc of pics with ALL the pics no hidden extras. We had alovely meal in Temple Bar, then on to a night club with VIP area with bubbly. Hotel with breakfast too. Cant remember the cost but it wasnt a lot and well worth it! Think they do stag parties too. They featured on the Dragons Den orignally and got the investment

Stags http://www.henparty.ie/Stags.aspx
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Frank (2014) Official Trailer - http://youtu.be/-catC4tBVyYFrank on IMDb - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1605717/
                                              His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Frank Sidebottom's Fantastic Supergroup - Frank, David Soul off Starsky & Hutch and that opera the god squad went mental about after not seeing it, a hammere...

Panic on the streets of Timperley. Filmed by Applehead Media in the late 80`s in and around Timperley.We even appear in it as the film crew. Loads of laughs...

Comment

Frank Sidebottom was possibly the strangest pop star in history. Jon Ronson, who played in his band, and has co-written a film inspired by the character starring Michael Fassbender, remembers Frank's creator Chris Sievey as being even more eccentric than his papier-mache alter ego

Very interesting story - I thought I remembered him from Vic and Bobs Big Night Out but I could be wrong
                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                    http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2...r-chris-sievey

Very interesting story - I thought I remembered him from Vic and Bobs Big Night Out but I could be wrong
                                                    Don't think so

Did a lot of quirky northern ITV shows and CH4 that were shown late night at weekends

Vic was this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Bit Frank/bit Shuttleworth/bit plagurism

Comment

After I got married I stayed at friends house 3 nights a week so as to ease ourselves into each others company despite the fact i had been living here on and off for months before hand. Two beds when in hotels under the guise of on sex bed and one snuggle bed but it does have it's merits

Comment

Ye wouldnt see this in Liffey valley.
                                                        Is it wrong the 1st thing I did was mentally plan a heist?

Comment

Ya, hopefully in the next year or so that will be available. Will it be more complicated for apartments do you know compared to houses? All the ESB/Vodafone FTTH 'coming soon' locations skip most of Dublin though. This is because of the underground cabling I assume?
                                                          Market catchment mostly. At least that's what I think. As u say UPC can ramp up quite easily

Comment

Entered a selfie comp on FB to win free hair extensions, any chance ye could like my pic , pretty please

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                              Entered a selfie comp on FB to win free hair extensions, any chance ye could like my pic , pretty please

https://www.facebook.com/HotloxsHair...=1&pnref=story
                                                              Done. GL

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                                Done. GL
                                                                ty!!
                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

More details on the Vodafone thing? As for UPC I'm currently on their 200mb package and want to switch to the 240 with 24 upon which is excellent but don't want to pay for the supposed new modem, somebody said in the other place that the newest Technicolor is able to handle it anybody here know anything about it?

Also while I have you here DP want to finally go about getting myself setup with a NAS for online storage/access to my photo's while out on the road, any ideas on a good setup? 24mb up from UPC would fantastic, some of my pic folders from EPT's can be upwards of 40-50gb.
                                                                  "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

This selfie craic needs to stop now. Human race is fucked
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post

https://www.facebook.com/HotloxsHair...=1&pnref=story
                                                                      Done Gl
                                                                      Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

We're in seperate rooms about six weeks now while the new owner of my gaff is learning how to sleep without waking up every four hours.

It has it's benefits for sure, but I wouldn't like it to be a permanent thing. Snuggling, as AFB says, is too nice.
                                                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                          We're in seperate rooms about six weeks now while the new owner of my gaff is learning how to sleep without waking up every four hours.

It has it's benefits for sure, but I wouldn't like it to be a permanent thing. Snuggling, as AFB says, is too nice.
                                                                          Get the baby off the boob onto the bottle should sleep longer.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                            .....
                                                                            Also while I have you here DP want to finally go about getting myself setup with a NAS for online storage/access to my photo's while out on the road, any ideas on a good setup? 24mb up from UPC would fantastic, some of my pic folders from EPT's can be upwards of 40-50gb.
                                                                            Dont mean to butt in Danny but I have a Synology Diskstation DS412+ with 8TB's including synology's RAID system.
                                                                            I can access anything from it at any time and stream even over 3g. Theres a number of android apps that can assist. I have the UPC 240/24 and I feel I'm finally where I want to be with my storage.
                                                                            It's reasonably priced considering what it can do.

I really dont trust the google cloud thing. have you seen CitizenFour?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                              Get the baby off the boob onto the bottle should sleep longer.
                                                                              She's off the boob now a while, other than the odd bit of soothing. She's on the bottle now fully.

Ah, she sleeps pretty well, we've just agreed because I'm working and need a nights kip that seperate rooms for a while is a good idea.

Comment

We're in seperate rooms about six weeks now while the new owner of my gaff is learning how to sleep without waking up every four hours. .....
                                                                                Our latest 5 month old has just moved into his own room.

Comment

Beard extensions for pasty faced hipsters.

Who wants to invest?

Comment

She's off the boob now a while, other than the odd bit of soothing. She's on the bottle now fully.

Ah, she sleeps pretty well, we've just agreed because I'm working and need a nights kip that seperate rooms for a while is a good idea.
                                                                                    when Mia was born, myself and himself had a plan and it worked so well. every friday night I would have the spare room and I would sleep solid till miday sat and himself had the spare room sat till 10am sunday

we did that for maybe 2 yrs, best thing ever!
                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                      Our latest 5 month old has just moved into his own room.

We're not too far from it I think, she's 5 months now, I'm guessing another three weeks.

Comment

We're not too far from it I think, she's 5 months now, I'm guessing another three weeks.
                                                                                        yeah thats great fun altogether, tucked in nicely at 8pm and snuggled between the two of ye come 4am
                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                                                          Dont mean to butt in Danny but I have a Synology Diskstation DS412+ with 8TB's including synology's RAID system.
                                                                                          I can access anything from it at any time and stream even over 3g. Theres a number of android apps that can assist. I have the UPC 240/24 and I feel I'm finally where I want to be with my storage.
                                                                                          It's reasonably priced considering what it can do.

I really dont trust the google cloud thing. have you seen CitizenFour?
                                                                                          More than welcome any input same for anybody else interested in putting in a few bits, looked at a few Synology things a couple years back more so consumer stuff but haven't done much research yet for a proper setup.

Comment

More details on the Vodafone thing? As for UPC I'm currently on their 200mb package and want to switch to the 240 with 24 upon which is excellent but don't want to pay for the supposed new modem, somebody said in the other place that the newest Technicolor is able to handle it anybody here know anything about it?

2x options I can think of: DIY - freenas and owncloud or MS office 365 subscription with 1TB of OneDrive storage.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                              2x options I can think of: DIY - freenas and owncloud or MS office 365 subscription with 1TB of OneDrive storage.
                                                                                              Think if I was going down the cloud storage route it would more than likely be Google Drive, defo want to have my own NAS setup.

Comment

interesting project.
                                                                                                but hang on a tic. why would you need 24mb up to upload pics from EPTs?
                                                                                                how is that relevant?

ah....forget it...accessing not uploading

anyway...newbie2's suggestion is pretty much the road I was going down. You could do it yourself for much cheaper
                                                                                                (ProLiant hardware, Linux OS, Lights-Out (for WOL)) but it depends how dirty you wanna get your hands.
                                                                                                Last edited by DeadParrot; 29-01-15, 23:35.

Comment

interesting project.
                                                                                                  but hang on a tic. why would you need 24mb up to upload pics from EPTs?
                                                                                                  how is that relevant?

ah....forget it...accessing not uploading
                                                                                                  Some of the venues have terrific uploads but some don't 24mb at home for when I'm doing my own things would be sweet.

Comment

Comment

Newbies setup is deffo best option for what you want Danny. That exact model with wd RED drives is what I use for budget off-site backups for businesses.
                                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                                                                        So your point about rent is valid, but don't forget the likelihood of a mortgage staying at the same level is pretty much zero too. We are still in a period of historically low rates, and while I'd be surprised if we ever got back to the 17-18% of the 80's we are very likely to end up back at 7-8% imo.

That's going to be very painful down the line for people. At the rates in the example given, the interest rate was 4.7% or so. Let's say it's fixed at that for 3 years

At the end of year 3, they will have paid €27,000 off their mortgage, but their loan will still be €152,070.

In the intervening 3 year period, if rates have increased to a modest 6%

Their monthly payment will increase to €892
                                                                                                        Their total amount paid over the duration of the mortgage would be €369,528
                                                                                                        This added to the other costs outlined in the previous example would be €434,753
                                                                                                        + the original example didn't include furniture, fittings appliances (every 5-6 years max) or indeed the simple matter of house insurance (circe €300 a year)

If it were to go to 7.5% that monthly payment would increase to €1,042 a month and the total cost of the mortgage would be €428,664.
                                                                                                        I know it was hypothetical and that the renter is unlikely to stay put, but that's irrelevant really. No matter where they move to, they'll be paying rent, and in 20 years time it’ll be more than $1,200pm.
                                                                                                        Even if the renter decided to downscale to save cash, the owner has that option too, they can rent out the house for and get somebody to pay their mortgage, while to a 1 bed and forget about babies (good luck ).

I wasn't assuming that rates would stay the same either. I fully accept that the cost could well increase, I’d expect them to at some point, but it would need to make up a lot to cover the $850k lifetime rent cost. And the more aggressive rates become over the 35 years, then the more aggressive rent increases would be.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                        My friend and his fiancée have shared a room in rented accommodation for years, they have pay around 200 each and love living with people. Main point as always is that renting is so flexible, not that you can find the above deals willy nilly, it's just that you can change things up as you want.
                                                                                                        Love living with people, or deep down despise each other and the marriage is out of desperation as they pass 35.

Originally posted by digiman View Post
                                                                                                        Have you considered buying a house in Ireland and renting it out with the intention of moving into it some time in the future if you go home?

Sydney house prices are just ridiculous. $1.5million doesn't buy much of a house within an 45min commute of the CBD. I can't see myself ever buying due to the fear of a property crash here, but it does sicken me quite a lot that I have paid just over $100k in renting in 3 years and have nothing to show for it.
                                                                                                        Can’t see an Australian bank giving me a loan for a house overseas, not without some equity or a co-signer here. Nor can I see an Irish bank being satisfied with Australian earnings, even though the exchange rate superficially inflates them.
                                                                                                        I don’t plan on settling here forever, but I also don’t plan on having kids. So I don’t need a big 3 bed in Balmain, although being on the water would be nice. Realistically, 550-600k should get me a 1.5 bedroom place in the eastern suburbs, the repayments will probably equal my rent, more or less. Any money I clear off the loan, plus any equity increase is profit. If I do decide to sell up and go home, that profit should be worth a bit more in Ireland.

Comment

I did this too for the first couple of months. Nearly 3 years on and she still wakes a bit during the night. Although we have managed to keep her out of our bed for the most part. Take sleep when you can get it is all I can say anytime of day. (says the man who is still up at 1 and in work in the morning)
                                                                                                          Last edited by elbows; 30-01-15, 01:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                            I know it was hypothetical and that the renter is unlikely to stay put, but that's irrelevant really. No matter where they move to, they'll be paying rent, and in 20 years time it’ll be more than $1,200pm.
                                                                                                            Even if the renter decided to downscale to save cash, the owner has that option too, they can rent out the house for and get somebody to pay their mortgage, while to a 1 bed and forget about babies (good luck ).

I wasn't assuming that rates would stay the same either. I fully accept that the cost could well increase, I’d expect them to at some point, but it would need to make up a lot to cover the $850k lifetime rent cost. And the more aggressive rates become over the 35 years, then the more aggressive rent increases would be.

Love living with people, or deep down despise each other and the marriage is out of desperation as they pass 35.

Can’t see an Australian bank giving me a loan for a house overseas, not without some equity or a co-signer here. Nor can I see an Irish bank being satisfied with Australian earnings, even though the exchange rate superficially inflates them.
                                                                                                            I don’t plan on settling here forever, but I also don’t plan on having kids. So I don’t need a big 3 bed in Balmain, although being on the water would be nice. Realistically, 550-600k should get me a 1.5 bedroom place in the eastern suburbs, the repayments will probably equal my rent, more or less. Any money I clear off the loan, plus any equity increase is profit. If I do decide to sell up and go home, that profit should be worth a bit more in Ireland.
                                                                                                            And when things go tits up down under?
                                                                                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Hmmmm.
                                                                                                              "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Getting old.

Two wedding to attend this year. One in MEXICO and the other in the Europe Killarney.

Not overly unhappy about either.
                                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                  Hmmmm.
                                                                                                                  probably should have banked the roulette winnings.

Comment

Question for the BBV.

My missus has been invited to her housemates wedding this November in Cancun. She isn't hugely good friends with this chick, she worked with her for a bit I guess, but they wouldn't socialise or hang out. Situational usage for lifts and favours are given both ways.

Anyway, I haven't spoken more than total 30 words to the bride, and less to the groom but my missus wants me to go.

I am vastly inexperienced with weddings, and how they operate these days, but it seems to me the bride and groom are pulling a fast one here? They are essentially getting a free wedding trip (if enough people book).

Its $1600 per person, all inclusive (and flights). Like the price isn't extortionate for an AI trip to Cancun for a week with flights, and its certainly not outrageous but its not cheap either.

I feel a bit dirty about it. I feel worse that none of Bride or Grooms family are going ('can't afford it'-bride), and only 17 people total, of about 40 +partners have been invited. Its not putting me under terrible strain financially but it may mean missing my cousins wedding or Christmas at home. It is putting the missus under pressure though. She desperately wants to go travel Asia and its a decent dent in her savings for that trip.

Am I wrong to think the whole situation is a bit unsavoury? I am of the view that a wedding should be something as convenient as the cost is reasonable for your friends and family? I'd hate to think my family or best mates or ANY one I invited couldn't attend because I had it in a completely ridiculous venue with a somewhat prohibitive cost and I'd hate it even more to think that my friends thought I only had it there to save me a few bob and get a free wedding trip.

I'm not sure if this is a Canadian only thing, I don't know if Irish people do such things. I know my cousins wedding is nothing of the sort.

Kinda catch 22 now, cos if I refuse to go, then the missus might reasonably or unreasonably ask why should we go to my cousins and not her mate/housemates, or she might say she'd rather go to Mexico than ireland in Winter.

The deposit it 250. I think the best line is to sink that and play the long game? Thoughts bbv collective?
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                                                                                                      And when things go tits up down under?
                                                                                                                      If I'm going home I've the option of selling up and seeing where we stand, or if not favorable, I could keep it and rent it out.

Comment

I've had to pass on weddings one or twice recently. Close friends. Next year I'll be going to Vegas instead of a wedding, probably.

I certainly wouldn't be paying $1600 to go to a strangers wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                          I've had to pass on weddings one or twice recently. Close friends. Next year I'll be going to Vegas instead of a wedding, probably.

I certainly wouldn't be paying $1600 to go to a strangers wedding.
                                                                                                                          I agree. I guess the missus could go on her own, but doubt she'd be happy, and if she goes she 100% won't be able to afford to go back with me at Xmas / Cousins Wedding.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X