This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    But you send your kids to a Catholic school? Curious how you square that circle.
    No other choice out in the sticks. That's one of the things, alongwith equal rights for gay couples, we should be trying to change.
    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
      I come from a catholic family. Said the rosary through May as a kid for example. Dawned on me at an early age what a crock it all was.
      It dawned on me real early too, I remember being about 11 or 12 thinking about other religions around the world and wondering how it was possible for everyone else to be wrong and 'us' to be right, and that surely 'they' felt the same about their faith. I remember concluding that if one was wrong they must all be wrong. I also remember struggling with those thoughts, fighting them, being fearful of them. Never dreaming of sharing them. They don't call it god fearing for nothing.
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

apparently budism is rampant on Dublins northside. Everyone's at it

calling shortstack. Are you reading, some more ciderhouse chunes.

Comment

No other choice out in the sticks. That's one of the things, anongs with equal rights for gay couples that we should be trying to change.
          You chose to live in the sticks?
          Then deny your kids the bumber pay day which is confirmation and communion so they are seen as different in school
          I was jealous of one of my neighbours as kids his parents were Jehovahs witnesses
          and english and he used be excused form our 3 or 4 hours of religion a week,
          Used play cricket with him not seen him in 20 years.
          Last edited by Guest; 24-01-15, 00:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
            It dawned on me real early too, I remember being about 11 or 12 thinking about other religions around the world and wondering how it was possible for everyone else to be wrong and 'us' to be right, and that surely 'they' felt the same about their faith. I remember concluding that if one was wrong they must all be wrong. I also remember struggling with those thoughts, fighting them, being fearful of them. Never dreaming of sharing them. They don't call it god fearing for nothing.
            I was the only one who didnt take a plegde not to booze till i was 18 or 21.
            Was already sneaking the odd bottle of smithwicks at home etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post

two ol Jihad bastards having a chat about their kids.

Jihad bastard 1. How is ismal ?
              Jihad bastard2. Oh he is getting on very well , next week he will ignite himself and kill many jews. and how is Aamir ?

JB1. ah he is coming on very well, he hopes to kill many infidels
              JB2. ahh children, they blow up so fast

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                If somebody wants a longer vid
                I co-incidentally happened to watch the first part of that video about 45mins ago. His Friday night Dharma talk goes up each week.

Comment

I just watched it all right now, a pleasure to listen to him. Will keep an eye out for those.
                  Am watching his depression and anxiety video now.

Liquid Gold Dhamma Talks At http://dhammatalks.org/ DL Mp3 - http://dhammaloka.org.au/component/k2/item/551-depression.html Original at http://www.youtube.c...

Speaking of mental topics. Gonna buy this, supposed to be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                    Speaking of mental topics. Gonna buy this, supposed to be good.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Happy-Heal...sin=B00LJYK9G6
                    Let me know what you think of it. I work with one of the authors.

Comment

I only know of it because I've talked to one of the authors, it wouldn't be hard to deduce which one, even though more than one i s Irish. Will do anyway.

Comment

Sound of Song on BBC4 looks good.

Guessing you'd like it Willie.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          Sounds a bit like its founded in quantum mechanics. I suppose if you think of it from the point of there being a finite number of atoms in the universe that are constantly in a state of flux, forming new compounds after old ones decay it ties together with re-birth. The universe goes on and your carbon, oxygen, nitrogen etc will go on to give life to something else.
                          Quite similar theme to that video you hated yesterday!
                          Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance and The Dancing Wu Li Masters both are great physics books that focus on the similartieis between eastern spirituality and quantum physics. The correlations speak for themselves imo. It's all about gethering sprinklings of knowledge by testing the limits of the unknowable.
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

your mans after frying me chicken and theres no need for it

Comment

Harsh stuff Dave m8

Comment

Just saw Gone Girl. WTF... What a great film it was. Dont think I've heard any hype for it here?

Highly recommend!
                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                  Just saw Gone Girl. WTF... What a great film it was. Dont think I've heard any hype for it here?

Highly recommend!
                                  There was a lot of talk about it when it was first released. iirc the general consensus was it was a great film up until the last 20mins when it just went a bit bizarre. Ruined the movie for me tbh.

Comment

No other choice out in the sticks. That's one of the things, alongwith equal rights for gay couples, we should be trying to change.
                                    It's (the patronage of the school system) got very little to do with religion these days and an awful lot to do with money. Emmet referenced tbe abysmal conversion rate of religious to State patronage the other day - don't expect any change to this in the near future.

fwiw I'd prefer to see religious patronage removed from the public school system (there will always be private schools of varying denominational hues) but no child alive today will ever see this imo.
                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

With all the talk about the marriage referendum the last few weeks. I decided to ask the very religious people that I work with and the people who call to see the boss for tea and a chat.

One man will be voting yes because he has a gay son and accepts everything as natural. The rest of the men will be voting no because it is not natural and god only wants a man and a woman to be married. The 20 yr old female said, and I quote, "the gays freak me out, weirdos" so I took that as a no vote and the 26 yr old female said no because "fuck em, they made a choice".

Do not rule out the hold the church has over rural Ireland, sadly. This is only a sample size of about 10 people but I'd imagine this would be the general feeling in most Ballygobackwards places.

Comment

Kids are heading off to the grandparents to the night and my wife is busy pouring prebought soup into a container to pass it off as home made, so her mam doesn't give out to her for feeding them rubbish. lol Irish mammies.

Comment

That could well have been red. Lucky.

Comment

A1 Sharon.

Comment

Worked out well if Dave isn't too badly hurt

Edit just as I post that hes gone
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Comment

Andy Goode is looking, ahem, prosperous these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                    Worked out well if Dave isn't too badly hurt

Edit just as I post that hes gone
                                                    I'm in bits

Comment

Andy Goode is looking, ahem, prosperous these days.
                                                      Reminiscent of a late career Gatting

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                        With all the talk about the marriage referendum the last few weeks. I decided to ask the very religious people that I work with and the people who call to see the boss for tea and a chat.

One man will be voting yes because he has a gay son and accepts everything as natural. The rest of the men will be voting no because it is not natural and god only wants a man and a woman to be married. The 20 yr old female said, and I quote, "the gays freak me out, weirdos" so I took that as a no vote and the 26 yr old female said no because "fuck em, they made a choice".

Do not rule out the hold the church has over rural Ireland, sadly. This is only a sample size of about 10 people but I'd imagine this would be the general feeling in most Ballygobackwards places.
                                                        SPOILER

Comment

School patrons should be banned from seeking baptism certificates or other proof of a child’s religious affiliation in managing admissions, the Humanist Association of Ireland has said.
                                                          The grouping argues that non-religious parents are being forced into having “pragmatic baptisms” for their children because more than 90 per cent of primary school remain under Catholic Church control.

It is holding it first meeting next week with Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Minister for Education and Skills Jan O’Sullivan under the “structured dialogue” process for churches and secular groups that was set up a decade ago by former taoiseach Bertie Ahern.

Minister for Education and Skills Jan O’Sullivan: wants clearer guidelines on how ‘standalone’ Catholic schools intend to accommodate children of other faiths and none. Photograph: Eric Luke ‘Catholic first’ school admissions policies may be illegal
                                                          Humanist Association of Ireland’s Dick Spicer: says the clear increase in demand for humanist services is proof of the need to continually survey the educational needs of parents.

Brian Whiteside, director of humanist ceremonies, said “education is at the top of our agenda” for the meeting on Thursday.

“There is a new reality that has to be addressed. One third of couples are getting married in non-religious ceremonies. It’s reasonable to ask what sort of schools they want for their children.”

He said because the Government had “delegated the management of schools to the churches”, schools could insist on children being baptised before allowing their admission.
                                                          ‘Lack of integrity’

“There has been an awful lack of integrity and honesty in many areas of Irish life, and here you have young people being bullied into doing something totally against their conscience.”
                                                          Mr Whiteside said he welcomed the intervention of Prof John Coolahan, chairman of the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism, when he suggested that grants might be cut in locations where schools refused to change patronage.

While there has been little progress on the divestment of schools from the Catholic Church, Ms O’Sullivan plans to announce this month up to four further Educate Together schools, including in Tuam and New Ross.

But Mr Whiteside said more radical solutions were required. He points out that when the national school system was set up in 1831, “it was to be a secular system where all children would be educated together. Before long, in very simplistic terms, the churches got their hands on them and we ended up with Catholic and Church of Ireland schools in most towns around the country.”

He said: “It’s time to revert to the original plan and have what we were meant to have all along: a secular national school system.” As a step towards this, he said the Government could either fine schools or lower capitation grants for schools which insisted on proof of religion in admissions.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                            SPOILER
                                                            Jesus what a sick bastard!
                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Van gaal is laughable, do ya United fans actually like him? Everything against him, come on like?
                                                              airport, lol

Comment

Where would I find a decent stream for the rugger? On mac so sopcast preferably.

Comment

Relaxing the entry requirements is all well and good, the main problem for me is that they teach the shit. That needs to end.

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSolsks View Post
                                                                    apparently budism is rampant on Dublins northside. Everyone's at it

calling shortstack. Are you reading, some more ciderhouse chunes.
                                                                    This was the first music I filmed for the craic. Pretty much one take of everything:

Official music video for The Skimmity Hitchers song The Skimmity Pint song. This was shot at The Spice Ship in Weymouth and Lodmoor country park. This is one...

One of last years OutCider acts:

AVAILABLE NOW FROM iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/girls-night-out-single/id875760386Amazon MP3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K7YN8XA/ref=dm...

Another one who are also playing our May Festival this year as well

From the album "Finally"Give us a like and a follow here:http://www.facebook.com/kingtutsrevengehttp://www.twitter.com/kingtutsrevengehttp://www.ktr.org.ukAv...

Loop pedal expert played last year and on line up for both this year:

Funke And The Two Tone Baby performs 'Bella's Kiss' live at Smugglers Festival 2013.Thursday 29th August - Sunday 1st September 2013,Now in its third year, S...

Another one from last year:

Written By: Gaz BrookfieldDirected & Filmed By: Danny Hughes & Vince BarnettEdited By: Vince BarnettMusic By: Gaz Brookfieldhttp://www.gazbrookfield.comwww.f...
                                                                    sigpic
                                                                    www.d4events.com

Comment

Kane Douglas shouldn't have got the nod to start the game and he repays the coaches faith with that bullshit. Leinster playing well without having to really push themselves so far. I hope Dave Kearney isn't too bad. Lukey is looking better every day. BOD mark 2 if his body can just give him a run of games.

I fancy leinster to get a bonus point here as wasps will have to chase soon.
                                                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

I just had a conversation with my parents (in their 80's) about the referendum. While they have softened their views on things over the years, they are still of the "ah it's not right" viewpoint, and I expected nothing less. I argued the point, but I don't think it had any real affect, same as most country people their age. The thing they don't know though (and it's not my place to tell them) is that one of their grandchildren is gay. If they knew they wouldn't treat her any differently, and would tell my sister that it didn't matter while looking puzzled at how it happened, but outside of their earshot they would be scandalised I'm sure.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                          Kane Douglas shouldn't have got the nod to start the game and he repays the coaches faith with that bullshit. Leinster playing well without having to really push themselves so far. I hope Dave Kearney isn't too bad. Lukey is looking better every day. BOD mark 2 if his body can just give him a run of games.

Wasps are muck though. Love the way the English commentators petenially overrate the EPL teams.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                            I just had a conversation with my parents (in their 80's)

Late starters?

Comment

Game on. Do we trust Boss and Gopperth to manage this one out?

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                Wasps are muck though. Love the way the English commentators petenially overrate the EPL teams.
                                                                                FFS Lads

Comment

Game on. Do we trust Boss and Gopperth to manage this one out?
                                                                                  Well that all came from Gopperth kicking dead. Take a look Wasps fans, this is what you'll be paying 300k p.a. for.

Comment

Aw Jaysus Whats he trying that for then?

Comment

Well that all came from Gopperth kicking dead. Take a look Wasps fans, this is what you'll be paying 300k p.a. for.
                                                                                      And a pathetic drop goal attempt to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                        this

Banjo is so cool when played well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Ao-iNPPUc
                                                                                        Reminds me of..
                                                                                        Last edited by DeadParrot; 24-01-15, 16:09.
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

FFS. Madigan has been shit today too. Dreading see him at 10 for Ireland.

Would we get a home 1/4 with the draw?

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                            DP cause he's tiny and my vag would still be intact
                                                                                            Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                            I was going to say something similar lol or Hotspur
                                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

They are going to steal this FFS!

Comment

That was lucky

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                  That was lucky
                                                                                                  Where does that leave us? Probable worst group winner?

Comment

FFS. Madigan has been shit today too. Dreading see him at 10 for Ireland.

Would we get a home 1/4 with the draw?
                                                                                                    Don't think so, Toulouse not BPing Montpellier looks only chance of being in Top 4 Group winners.

Group 1. Clermont or Sarries will win with 20+
                                                                                                    Group 2. Leinster win with 20.
                                                                                                    Group 3. Toulon likely to win with 20+. Need favour from Scarlets.
                                                                                                    Group 4. Toulouse. Bit a hope.
                                                                                                    Group 5. Either Racing or Northampton must get 20+.
                                                                                                    Last edited by ArmaniJeans; 24-01-15, 14:56.

Comment

Any one any suggestions for a poker game in Dublin tonight that's not the Fitz or Emporium? Does Luke's place in Rathmines get numbers?

Comment

Fair play to Wasps. Managed to play much better in the 2nd half but leinster went into their shell hanging on rather than pushing on. Might be costly if it means an away quarter.

Jimmy bottled it with the pressure on and Madigan had an off day with the boot. But overall it's onwards and upwards. Bring on SOB and Healy.
                                                                                                        ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Late starters?
                                                                                                          For their day probably. They got married at 27 and 31 respectively and I'm the youngest of 6 who was had when my mother was 41. They are now 80/84 (well 84 tomorrow)

Comment

This was a class quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by eoghan104 View Post
                                                                                                              Any one any suggestions for a poker game in Dublin tonight that's not the Fitz or Emporium? Does Luke's place in Rathmines get numbers?
                                                                                                              Theres a €110 game in Bray but think it started at 2pm. Check the tourney thread

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                Theres a €110 game in Bray but think it started at 2pm. Check the tourney thread
                                                                                                                I'm in a pub right beside it planning on going but the structure seems a bit long for my patience level!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                  Cowpunk band that are playing one of our festivals do a great version. Unfortunately this is the best video of it and sound is awful.

Pronghorn Play Ace Of Spades at the Isle Of Wight Festival 2011..
                                                                                                                  sigpic
                                                                                                                  www.d4events.com

Comment

Magic of the Cup eh

Comment

FA Cup weekends probably worse than International weekends. You know it's a farcical competition when a Mourinho side blow a two goal lead. They should have all the games on a more befitting day for a non-tryers comp like Thursday like they do in Spain.
                                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                                        Magic of the Cup eh
                                                                                                                        MOTD should be good tonight

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                                          Must be really embarrassing to be a United fan these days.
                                                                                                                          Indeed
                                                                                                                          Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X