X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
    ok

What does 'catholic country' mean?

Am I excluded from being a citizen of this 'catholic country' given I'm not catholic?

Why should religion, particularly this odious, disgusting vile brand of religion, with it's evil history when it comes to the welfare of children feature at all in the education of our children?
    You most certainly are not excluded, as far as i am aware.

You may be a non catholic if you want.

What rights are not available to you as a non catholic in this catholic country ?

The evil and vile form you talk of is not religions fault, it is mans fault, again, as devils advocate.
    This too shall pass.

Comment

Kinda ironic too that as 'devil's advocate' you're advocating for the catholic church.
      But im not !

edit: trying to watch a film, im just trying to give another view, if anyone thinks im an apologist or even a christian for that matter...you really need to look more at why you hate rather than who you hate.
      Last edited by oleras; 23-01-15, 01:08.
      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
        You most certainly are not excluded, as far as i am aware.

You may be a non catholic if you want.

What rights are not available to you as a non catholic in this catholic country ?

The evil and vile form you talk of is not religions fault, it is mans fault, again, as devils advocate.
        Ole, we've just spent the last while discussing how my daughter is excluded from being educated in her local school. I'm lucky that I live in Dublin and have some choices for her, thousands don't have that luxury.

Don't get your 'not religion's fault, man's fault' point tbh dude.

I find the religion's central tenants vile, it's entire system of belief vile. It's man made.
        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Introducing the Golden Showeries

Wolfpack Inc are proud to announce The Golden Showeries.

The best shower/bath beer/cider/cocktail/beverage picture of 2015 posted on thread will win all the marbles, the first coveted Golden Showery Trophy, a six pack of beer and a selection box.

Good luck.

Entries close 18/12/15.
          Prizes can be collected at the IPB Christmas party or by arrangement.
          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
            But im not !

edit: trying to watch a film, im just trying to give another view, if anyone thinks im an apologist or even a christian for that matter...you really need to look more at why you hate rather than who you hate.
            Hey man, I understood the term 'Devil's advocate' to mean taking a side in a debate for the sake of the debate rather than for any belief in the argument.

Father Ole.

Comment

I thought you were Jewish anyway.

Comment

I thought you were Jewish anyway.
                Thats the grandfather, Lemon was his codename, transported Jews through Denmark to Sweden, spent a few years in Auschwitz for his troubles, im sure i have told the story of my father in Copenhagen being woken during the occupation by a holster brushing off his face as the house got searched.

Yeah, i am anything but religious and still find time to defend it, theres good in most of it.
                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                  SPOILER
                  Dewey Crowe....Dewey Fuckin Crowe
                  SPOILER
                  The anus was always on him

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                      Looks like the murder trial of Graham Dwyer is going to be far from run of the mill. I guess, based on the texts, his defense is going to be that Elaine O'Hara asked him to do it.

Link?

Was best pals with her brother in college. Lovely family.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                        Link?

Was best pals with her brother in college. Lovely family.
                        A successful architect almost committed the perfect murder when he killed childcare assistant Elaine O’Hara for his own sexual gratification, the prosecution has alleged.

Comment

David Bowie performing Space Oddity Live on the Serious Moonlight Tour in 1983.Taken from David Bowie’s 2nd studio album David Bowie (Space Oddity) released ...
                          This too shall pass.

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                              Jesus Christ. Thats horrific.

Comment

Like Lazare and RDIII, I don't really care much about the issue itself. If it's such a big deal to people, I don't feel strongly enough either way to try to oppose same sex marriage. However, what's being said about the church/state would be the biggest reason for me to vote yes. The Catholic church do still have too much influence in this country (obviously no where near as much as it once had, and I think we're well on the road to decreasing that influence even more) and I think a yes win would be a big signal of the diminishing influence it has on the overall population.
                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                  Like Lazare and RDIII, I don't really care much about the issue itself. If it's such a big deal to people, I don't feel strongly enough either way to try to oppose same sex marriage. However, what's being said about the church/state would be the biggest reason for me to vote yes. The Catholic church do still have too much influence in this country (obviously no where near as much as it once had, and I think we're well on the road to decreasing that influence even more) and I think a yes win would be a big signal of the diminishing influence it has on the overall population.
                                  Sure aren't half the priests in the country gay anyway? Not hearing much from the church on this (Catholic that is, CoI is all in favour).

The big one to me is modern abortion legislation (in line with, say, the UK). If that ever gets passed, then I'd say Laz can declare victory and drink many shower beers.
                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Break the link between church and school and you break the link between church and Ireland to a large extent. I can't see that happening any time soon though.

Comment

Also Laz I think you're being a bit rigid in your approach to baptism. Half the kids in the country are baptised for tactical reasons (i.e. to get into the right school). Hitch did it.

No harm imo. The game may be rigged but you still have to play it.

Comment

It seems extremely blinkered and self obsessed for any liberal hetrosexual to not realise how important this referendum is to the gay community. I actually have more sympathy for religious people who think that gay marriage is an abomination, stupidity is more appealing that borderline autism.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          Also Laz I think you're being a bit rigid in your approach to baptism. Half the kids in the country are baptised for tactical reasons (i.e. to get into the right school). Hitch did it.

I was thinking fair play to him for refusing to play the game. Smaller victories will come when more people stop marrying in a church for their parents sake, stop writing catholic in the census for the same reason and refuse to play the baptise in return for an education game.
                                          I wasn't baptised and the schools that refused me are ones that I'm happy I didn't go to in hindsight.

Comment

Anyone here messed around with google cardboard? Just ordered a 4 euro kit online.
                                            For anyone that doesn't know it essentially turns smart phones into a VR headset like oculus rift.
                                            Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

That was the point I was making about being forced to swell the ranks, and create terms like 'catholic country'.

I'm in a position to avoid it luckily.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                I never claimed that I don't care about the issue. I care a lot about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                  It seems extremely blinkered and self obsessed for any liberal hetrosexual to not realise how important this referendum is to the gay community. I actually have more sympathy for religious people who think that gay marriage is an abomination, stupidity is more appealing that borderline autism.
                                                  Are you talking about me Darragh?

If so, you're pretty wide of the mark with your first sentence.

For me, full and total acceptance and support of LGBT goes hand in hand with a rejection of all the CC stands for.

Comment

Laz, chill out. That's two overly defensive posts in a row!

Don't think Hectorjelly is talking about you at all, pretty sure he's talking about those with apathy towards the issue, the RD3s of this world!

Also, Jam-Fly echoes what you said about your interest in the debate being based on your anti-Catholicism .

Deep breaths, nobody thinks you're a bigot!

And on the subject of the school system....
                                                    Early in the lifetime of the Government an announcement was made that 50% of schools would change from religious patronage to other models of patronage. Of the 1,500 schools affected by this issue, only one, a Church of Ireland school in the Taoiseach's constituency, has changed its model of patronage.
                                                    Solid conversion rate

Comment

What else is being voted on in May?

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                        Voting age

Comment

Scumbag beside on bus giving out about the bed situation, in jail.

84 always delivers.

Comment

I thought John Lyons was outstanding alongside her on Claire Byrne. He should be wheeled out a lot more.

I disagree that articles ridiculing Iona are wasteful and counter productive, there's a vast swath of people open to persuasion by their muddying arguments, the more people that expose their bullshit the better.
                                                            None of those people are reading those blogs though. My friends father told him in no uncertain terms was he discussing the referendum, and he was voting no. Wheeling out Mullally and painting everyone on the no side as bigots isn't going to win over anyone. Iona are winning by playing to their base and whipping up conservative peoples concerns, ridiculing them on blogs doesn't do anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                              None of those people are reading those blogs though. My friends father told him in no uncertain terms was he discussing the referendum, and he was voting no. Wheeling out Mullally and painting everyone on the no side as bigots isn't going to win over anyone. Iona are winning by playing to their base and whipping up conservative peoples concerns, ridiculing them on blogs doesn't do anything.
                                                              mainstream media, mainstream media,mainstream media, mainstream meeeedi FUCKIN A

Iona may be cunts, but they know this game.

Comment

This vote is standalone as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                  President age thingy no? You should know these things AJ. Drink up that coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                    Voting age
                                                                    Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                    We're both wrong, it looks like the voting age is scrapped, but reducing age eligibility of the President to 21 (from 35) is in

Comment

President age thingy no? You should know these things AJ. Drink up that coffee.
                                                                      Meh, so boring a referendum that I was completely unaware of it.
                                                                      Hard to see how the government could fail to get that one over the line.

Comment

Wipers on the car were making a loud weird sound this morning, I actually thought it was the car in front of me with a hole in their exhaust until I realized it was my wipers ,

Then when I got home they just died. I pulled them away from the window and put them back again and they starting working again but with the same sound, kinda like when a wiper is going on a dry screen but worse. Went up town again and they were still working but on the way back died again.

thoughts?

Nissan Qashqai maroon colour
                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Buy new wiper blades. Probably only a tenner.

This video shows you how to replace windshield wipers on your car. It shows you how to check your wiper blades and change your wipers. How to change windshie...

Comment

Buy new wiper blades. Probably only a tenner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mOm2u9YqwA
                                                                            I think its something more serious, surely the wipers wouldnt just die if it was the blades.
                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Pull them away from the windscreen and turn them on. Do they move side to side? If not, ignore previous.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                Of all the gay rights issues, it's not anywhere near the top.

Decriminalisation >>>>>>> gay marriage. I'd probably put the right to adoption ahead as well and civil partnership too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                  Listening to Morning Ireland and they do a piece about how it is this time two years since the Garda was shot dead in Lordship north of Dundalk after a Credit Union robbery. Then I remembered that in 2 weeks time it will be the two year anniversary of the very very long odds on favorites, Crossmaglen Rangers, suffering a crushing defeat in the AIB Club Semi Finals at the hands of St Brigids. At the time Crossmaglen were the powerhouse of club football and had won the previous two All Irelands. Stragely (or not perhaps) they havent been mapped on a football field ever since! My how they have deteriorated in the intervening time period.

Edit - the guard didn't play football for them btw or wasn't from that parish.
                                                                                  I have no idea what you're implying here but the implied causation is intriguing. Moar!

Comment

This is tough for the family to swallow. Sounds like a horrific ordeal.

If it was a Baltimore court in 2000 they would have been convicted. #freeadnan

Comment

Pull them away from the windscreen and turn them on. Do they move side to side? If not, ignore previous.
                                                                                      yeah they work but that loud sound is still there, could be just pot luck that they went again but the issue is still there. Have to drive to Galway tomorrow so prob better take it to a garage to have a quick look
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                        yeah they work but that loud sound is still there, could be just pot luck that they went again but the issue is still there. Have to drive to Galway tomorrow so prob better take it to a garage to have a quick look
                                                                                        Yeah if the motors are making noise it's for the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                          There's talk of Khabib Nurmagomedov v Cowboy Cerrone as the co-main to McGregor v Aldo
                                                                                          I'd actually love to see Cowboy fighting tbh. This is gonna be greatttt.

-----------
                                                                                          Also this is on front page of reddit, possibly one of the best movie scenes ever
                                                                                          This choppy melodrama investigates the life of a prostitute in a pseudo-documentary style. The bottom line of the film is that a life of a hooker isn't easy....
                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

That was the point I was making about being forced to swell the ranks, and create terms like 'catholic country'.

I'm in a position to avoid it luckily.
                                                                                            Not only that but when people copped on that they could be removed from their roster they shut down that avenue.

They haven't gone away you know.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                              Listening to Morning Ireland and they do a piece about how it is this time two years since the Garda was shot dead in Lordship north of Dundalk after a Credit Union robbery. Then I remembered that in 2 weeks time it will be the two year anniversary of the very very long odds on favorites, Crossmaglen Rangers, suffering a crushing defeat in the AIB Club Semi Finals at the hands of St Brigids. At the time Crossmaglen were the powerhouse of club football and had won the previous two All Irelands. Stragely (or not perhaps) they havent been mapped on a football field ever since! My how they have deteriorated in the intervening time period.

Edit - the guard didn't play football for them btw or wasn't from that parish.
                                                                                              I have no idea what you're implying here but the implied causation is intriguing. Moar!
                                                                                              Adrian Donohoue, the one of the two detectives present who was shot (in the back of the head, immediately on òpening the door of his car and without even trying to draw his gun) was a well known GAA player who was involved in coaching in the area.
                                                                                              The raiders were happy to leave the other detective face down on the ground.
                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Didn't ever get any sense of Marian Finucane being a Catholic, the other sanctimonious prick Duffy positively reeks of it.

Anyway two prominent broadcasters would seem to me to be a very small representation given the numbers.

Comment

Which numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                    Didn't ever get any sense of Marian Finucane being a Catholic, the other sanctimonious prick Duffy positively reeks of it.

Anyway two prominent broadcasters would seem to me to be a very small representation given the numbers.
                                                                                                    Same. A divorcee who's being living in sin for decades and having children out of wedlock before remarrying. Doesn't seem very catholic to me
                                                                                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Of all the gay rights issues, it's not anywhere near the top.

Decriminalisation >>>>>>> gay marriage.
                                                                                                      Downward social comparison.

Comment

Which numbers?
                                                                                                        Numbers that go to Mass has to be the baseline for practicing catholics.

No matter how much we don't like it they are entitled to some legitimacy when they count the baptism, wedding, Easter and Christmas attenders.

Comment

No matter how much we don't like it they are entitled to some legitimacy when they count the baptism, wedding, Easter and Christmas attenders.
                                                                                                          Agree in principle. But what are those numbers? Basically, how can you say that 2 'fundies' (if they are that, which I have no idea) on state radio is a fair representation considering the 'numbers'?
                                                                                                          Last edited by Emmet; 23-01-15, 11:31.

Comment

the Catholic Chiurch doesn't use mass attendance as the baseline for when they lobby governments on policy.
                                                                                                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

I wonder how many lay people that tick the catholic box on the census would actually pass a test about catholic beliefs. Wouldn't be surprised if there's actually zero true Catholics believers in this country

Comment

Agree in principle. But what are those numbers? Basically, how can you say that 2 'fundies' (if they are that, which I have no idea) on state radio is a fair representation considering the 'numbers'?
                                                                                                                Off the top of my head the census figure was c. 90% RC and weekly mass attendance is down to 30% of them so thats in the region of 1 Million.

But with such a huge identifying as raised RC just a decade ago I see huge risks in making this debate about the church. Even if 99.9% of the opposition is coming from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                  I wonder how many lay people that tick the catholic box on the census would actually pass a test about catholic beliefs. Wouldn't be surprised if there's actually zero true Catholics believers in this country
                                                                                                                  I'd put that as pretty close to zero true christians within the church, IMO the two are mutually exclusive.

True Catholics are those who buy Romes dogma hook line and sinker and believe me there are no shortage of those.

Comment

Mods

Finkel ban, sense? No. = lift ban with immediate effect

I look forward to your response.

Comment

Off the top of my head the census figure was c. 90% RC and weekly mass attendance is down to 30% of them so thats in the region of 1 Million.

But with such a huge identifying as raised RC just a decade ago I see huge risks in making this debate about the church. Even if 99.9% of the opposition is coming from them.
                                                                                                                      The church is putting forward it's press lackies from Iona/Irish Catholic/Catholic Comment/etc as if they were to enter the debate themselves they would lose handily.

the Iona clowncar exist only to give the church a layer of distance from public debate.
                                                                                                                      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Is that even close to being believable?

Last edited by Emmet; 23-01-15, 12:05.

Comment

What's up with Finkel?
                                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X