This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
    Her computer is at risk of going out the window.

Going on 4 hours of putting stuff on etc., no problem. But I had to download her fucking Kaspersky anti virus, and for some reason when I click the .exe file it comes up that this app can't run on your PC. No fucking idea what the problem is, system requirements seem fine, no other AV on it.
    I have not forgotten about you either punk

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
      Annoying when someone turns into a bitch and stops posting for no reason isn't it
      I didn't realise you missed me that much Kim Huybrechts.

Comment

Love Healy-Rae's use of language.

Comment

Going on 4 hours of putting stuff on etc., no problem. But I had to download her fucking Kaspersky anti virus, and for some reason when I click the .exe file it comes up that this app can't run on your PC. No fucking idea what the problem is, system requirements seem fine, no other AV on it.
          32 bit 64bit maybe u got the wrong version. AVG free is fine too. Just get the free version not the free trial to the paid version and unclick any other toolbars or extra bundled shite.
          Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Went to my first football training for almost 2 years tonight and my first game back is against my former club tomorrow. Absolutely pumped and raring to go. Travelling to the game with my brother and playing on opposing sides should be fun. All the hard work to get back was worth it.

Also, welcome back CHD. Even though you're a Chelski fan, I missed your posts. Hope everything is good with you.

Comment

Originally posted by PokerPiper View Post
              Love Healy-Rae's use of language.
              You'd have to love the Kerry crowd in fairness, nothing better than a summer trip down to Dingle & a few pints at night having the craic with them

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                5131G...160k ? Good jasus.
                Originally posted by Xeyboy View Post
                As I said the holy grail it only retails at 45. I know watches of Switzerland in cardiff had one in their window before christmas.
                This?

Really?

If you said it cost €800 I'd think it was pricey, why exactly is it valued so ridiculously (imo) high?
                I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Setting up a computer for my aunt, 70 years old and will be her first foray into the Internet. Brought up to Harvey Norman to get a laptop by her brother without my guidance and pulled the trigger on a 12 month Kaspersky anti-virus for only €50. No details yet on rust proofing.
                  Durable outer casing to prevent fallapart?

Comment

Rigger, are you branching out to a wider audience?

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                      I got my mum a laptop for Christmas and got her sorted for broadband after 3 years of persuasion on my part and 3 years of procrastionation on her side. She's a week in of an ecdl course and flying along.

Great kick start and you''ll just have to pick up small pieces s opposed to teaching everything.
                      Against the recommendations of me and my other siblings, one of my sisters got my mother a cheap android tablet for my mother. Nothing wrong with that you might think. However, my mother has never, and never wants to use anything like a computer or tablet. They have no internet connection, and no intention of getting one. My mother is the last person in the world who would want to use anything like this, and at 80 years of age isn't going to start. Mobile phones, even the basic nokia that my parents were given years ago are beyond her, and my father, who is older and has no clue either of anything like that, is in charge of it.

I got a call from him a few months ago, and assumed something was wrong as he would never ring me. It turned out that he saw something on the phone that there was a missed call from me, but he never noticed that it was about 6 months previous.

tl;dr old people aren't good with technology. They wouldn't have any interest in an age action courses.

Comment

I haven't checked out Serial yet, I know a few of you have.

The Intercept have a few articles that might be of interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                          This?

Really?

If you said it cost €800 I'd think it was pricey, why exactly is it valued so ridiculously (imo) high?
                          For people who have too much money and don't actually want to know the time obviously.

Comment

Right click and run as admin ?
                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                              Rigger, are you branching out to a wider audience?

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057363238/2
                              Always, should try and get it trending on that twitter yoke.
                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Wild, Boyhood or Birdman ?

Im leaning towards Wild.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Birthday Willie !!
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                  For people who have too much money and don't actually want to know the time obviously.
                                  Emperor's new clothes imo.

They'll scoff at us when we're the Romans.

Comment

Why do so many people type ''Yum'' or something similar after naming their healthy option meal they just ate.

''Just had asparagus and celery, YUM''

''Had some rice cakes, scrummy''

You are fooling nobody you pretentious twats.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                      Why do so many people type ''Yum'' or something similar after naming their healthy option meal they just ate.

Steak and ale pie, chips, peas and 2 pints of Guinness, yumscrummy, having a g&t now. That ok pal?

Comment

Against the recommendations of me and my other siblings, one of my sisters got my mother a cheap android tablet for my mother. Nothing wrong with that you might think. However, my mother has never, and never wants to use anything like a computer or tablet. They have no internet connection, and no intention of getting one. My mother is the last person in the world who would want to use anything like this, and at 80 years of age isn't going to start. Mobile phones, even the basic nokia that my parents were given years ago are beyond her, and my father, who is older and has no clue either of anything like that, is in charge of it.

I got a call from him a few months ago, and assumed something was wrong as he would never ring me. It turned out that he saw something on the phone that there was a missed call from me, but he never noticed that it was about 6 months previous.

tl;dr old people aren't good with technology. They wouldn't have any interest in an age action courses.
                                        My mum's only 62 so myself and my sister decided to just jump in in a sink or swim effort.
                                        My sis got her a smartphone which she is slowly coming to terms with and the ecdl with son backup should see her through.
                                        The big sell was that she could watch missed episodes of coronation street online whenever she wanted!

Comment

My mum's only 62 so myself and my sister decided to just jump in in a sink or swim effort.
                                          My sis got her a smartphone which she is slowly coming to terms with and the ecdl with son backup should see her through.
                                          The big sell was that she could watch missed episodes of coronation street online whenever she wanted!
                                          Has she the cam set up ? Whats her username ?
                                          This too shall pass.

Comment

62 is ok, but they have no need or want to need anything like that. It's also a really cheap one that has no brand name on it even, not that it really matters since it won;t be used.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                              Steak and ale pie, chips, peas and 2 pints of Guinness, yumscrummy, having a g&t now. That ok pal?
                                              Perfect. Real food that deserves a yummy.

Comment

Showed my mother a few times ages ago how to check the mailbox and delete messages from her landline. She said to me a few weeks ago that her sister in kilkenny had told her that her mailbox was full and could I sort it out. Spent about an hour listening to / deleting messages. Disturbingly quite a few messages were from dead people - and some of them have been dead for a good while. Fairly sure the mother never successfully listened to a message

Comment

Setting up a computer for my aunt, 70 years old and will be her first foray into the Internet. Brought up to Harvey Norman to get a laptop by her brother without my guidance and pulled the trigger on a 12 month Kaspersky anti-virus for only €50. No details yet on rust proofing.
                                                  oh lord....
                                                  I hope it wasn't an i4, those babies will just freeze if you run anything heavier than pacman...

close the deal gil, he's buying AV, close the deal
                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post

there is no delusion like self delusion

just made meself almond flour coated oyster thighs with a buffalo and cheese sauce and coleslaw
                                                    yum
                                                    it was actually fucking massive
                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by BobSloane View Post
                                                      Showed my mother a few times ages ago how to check the mailbox and delete messages from her landline. She said to me a few weeks ago that her sister in kilkenny had told her that her mailbox was full and could I sort it out. Spent about an hour listening to / deleting messages. Disturbingly quite a few messages were from dead people - and some of them have been dead for a good while. Fairly sure the mother never successfully listened to a message
                                                      lol, I had to do something very similar a year or so ago, but less messages from dead people though.

Comment

Are you on the low carb kick too Deadly ?

Do you notice any eye twitches ?
                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

lol Dom, it's like you're describing yourself in forty years. You didn't lick your 'youth of today' cynicism off a stone

Comment

Yummmm..

Comment

Are you on the low carb kick too Deadly ?

Do you notice any eye twitches ?

yeah.
                                                              Not finding it bad to be honest. Weird dreams is the only thing I've got since i started but since ;
                                                              1) getting married in a few months
                                                              b) gave up the smokes
                                                              iii) have had work related shit with sorting out contracts since Dec (sorted today)
                                                              ●) changed my diet
                                                              I think diet is probably the least stressful thing I'm dealing with. I'm quite enjoying the eating all the cheese, rashers, eggs and greens thing. Lunch was the only thing to get me head around but meat and coleslaw seems to be working

Comment

One on the right obv.

Comment

oh and I miss beer.
                                                                  two weeks and I had two pints of plain today and they were fucking heaven.
                                                                  am necking the whiskey though

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                    One on the right obv.
                                                                    cant beat a bit of ghee

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                      cant beat a bit of ghee
                                                                      Cock flavoured ghee. What a chat up line 'hey, you want cock flavoured ghee?'

'No, no! it's a condiment'

Comment

yeah.
                                                                        Not finding it bad to be honest. Weird dreams is the only thing I've got since i started but since ;
                                                                        1) getting married in a few months
                                                                        b) gave up the smokes
                                                                        iii) have had work related shit with sorting out contracts since Dec (sorted today)
                                                                        ●) changed my diet
                                                                        I think diet is probably the least stressful thing I'm dealing with. I'm quite enjoying the eating all the cheese, rashers, eggs and greens thing. Lunch was the only thing to get me head around but meat and coleslaw seems to be working
                                                                        Its great being able to eat a steak at 11 o clock...but sometimes, just sometimes, that fresh white roll with chicken and coleslaw and red onion...
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

So THAT'S what they were saying...Like on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/badlipreading Follow on Twitter! http://twitter.com/badlipreading

Comment

Originally posted by Fiend View Post
                                                                            32 bit 64bit maybe u got the wrong version. AVG free is fine too. Just get the free version not the free trial to the paid version and unclick any other toolbars or extra bundled shite.
                                                                            There is no option on Kaspersky (as far as I can see) to choose between 32/64 as a download. Hmm, it appears that Kaspersky does not release products restricted to 64 bit systems, so all are 32.

I wouldn't have spent the last few hours trying to figure it out if it were a question of choosing an AV. She would have Avast or AVG free no problem. I like Avast these days.

Right click and run as admin ?
                                                                            The only account up and running is administrator, and run as admin doesn't help.

edit: Laptop has a number pad and now I am sitting here changing the registry because the fucking num lock turns off when I reboot and the password I set up for her has a number, can't be dealing with the phone calls crisis about that. Preventative measures.

Fuck it, I have tried a ton of things and it's all because some prick salesperson in Harvey Norman saw a mark. She can have Avast.
                                                                            Last edited by hotspur; 17-01-15, 01:04.

Comment

You should have paid a poor person to do this for you.

Comment

Download avast.
                                                                                Rename avast to kapersky
                                                                                If you feel extra sneakiness is needed, change the icon

Job done

Comment

oh lord....
                                                                                  I hope it wasn't an i4, those babies will just freeze if you run anything heavier than pacman...

close the deal gil, he's buying AV, close the deal
                                                                                  Thought of that exact simpson moment when that was posted earlier. My brain automatically connects situations to the simpsons. What the hell is wrong with me. Really enjoyed reading 5 pages of posts from yesterday. Great effort all around. Glad so many have pitched in with Hitch not being around
                                                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Wild was a really good watch, much better than i anticipated. A great story.

And a great soundtrack.

I'd rather be a sparrow than a snail.Yes I would,If I could,I surely would.I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.Yes I would,If I only could,I surely would.CHOR...
                                                                                    This too shall pass.

Comment

Knife porn ? maybe.

Been wanting to buy one of these for a while now, should have struck sooner, the $ is only getting stronger.

This too shall pass.

Comment

From the new album, 'Modern Blues,' out now!(Coming April 7th 2015 in the US & Canada.)iTunes: http://smarturl.it/waterboysmodernbluesAmazon CD: http://smart...
                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Weekly Live Streams: https://twitch.tv/kongosmusicDISCORD: https://kongos.com/discordKONGOS - Come With Me Now Download "Lunatic" at iTunes: http://smarturl...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

All top choo choo chooooones!!! How are we all
                                                                                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Knife porn ? maybe.

Been wanting to buy one of these for a while now, should have struck sooner, the $ is only getting stronger.

Instantly I thought of replying with a picture of a spoon. Are there any drugs I can take to stop this problem I have.
                                                                                            His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2GVlQkn4Q

All top choo choo chooooones!!! How are we all
                                                                                              Watching the golf. On the tee at 9.30 weather permitting. All good here

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                Instantly I thought of replying with a picture of a spoon. Are there any drugs I can take to stop this problem I have.
                                                                                                Obviously you've played Knifey Spoony before.

Comment

Hmmm knives.

I remember as a kid ~14yrs I watched a kung fu film and wanted throwing knives. Got 4 in a pouch and flung them at shed door for weeks, they were shite and forgot about.

Strangely now I can throw a knife and it sticks after a few practice throws once I get to know balance/hold

Hmmm knives

Comment

Goodnight gents.

Comment

One thing I hate about facebook.... Showing me pictures of beautiful women as 'people I may know'. No facebook I dont know her... Stop f**king taunting me with her picture.
                                                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

@hotspur

Windows 8.1 (which I assume it has) has security essentials built into defender so you don't need a stand alone AV product.
                                                                                                        May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                          One thing I hate about facebook.... Showing me pictures of beautiful women as 'people I may know'. No facebook I dont know her... Stop f**king taunting me with her picture.
                                                                                                          Porn cookies kicking in. At least it's not showing you animal rescue centres and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                            I heard about a drug called Focusyn a while ago. Works extremely well at letting you concentrated on the important things. Some adverse side effects.

Comment

Foxcatcher
                                                                                                              SPOILER
                                                                                                              meh. Some fine performances but not sure why they felt this story deserved a 2 hour movie, a 1 hour true crime doc would have done.reading up on it after they left out a lot of important stuff (dupont being diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic, apparently he had a much closer relationship with the ruffalo brother)spent the last hour waiting for him to hurry up and shoot, and I wasn't the only one judging by the amount of talking and phone checking going on around me.I do think the 3 main performances saved it from being a total write off though
                                                                                                              Hmm think I need to go to some kind of Michael Owen treatment centre

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                                                                I heard about a drug called Focusyn a while ago. Works extremely well at letting you concentrated on the important things. Some adverse side effects.
                                                                                                                How's the bomb?

Comment

My folks have had smartphones the last year or so. My stepdad is almost 71 and my mum is 66. He struggles with anything other than texting, phoning and googling but my mum is flying. She was impressed with herself that she managed to get herself onto a wifi in the shopping centre while sitting waiting for me. They are both on FB now as well and use google constant when trying to remember things or quizzes etc!

My mum has my old laptop and was proud of herself booking her holiday accomodation through it. Who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks

My gran who is 87 has email only and it comes up on her TV, she doesnt use it much. She also has a basic mobile phone for when she is out and about.

Comment

OAP version of cool story bro

Comment

This is a random smattering of unorganised thoughts... tis a.m on a Saturday though.

^I think it's great, there should be much of more this. Did you help them with it MrsFD?

Lots of older people have the capability to use computers but never realise or execute it which is a real shame.

I think it is in part perhaps due to a lack of self belief/mental block and they and/or the people who try to show them lose patience with each other, usually because they know each other too well: son/daughter etc.

The slight informal formality of a taking a few one on one sessions with an assigned 'tutor (volunteer) works wonders.

Helping to get some older person progress from being fearful of just turning their computer on or off, of pushing buttons on it for fear of breaking it to looking up their interests/history/old music on google, getting on email and to get photos of their loved ones overseas, connecting to people on facebook (though I think Facebook is a bit hectic for a lot of them) and even better Skype-e to connect face to face with relatives (grown up kids and grand childen) is awesome.

It really restores something to their lives that shouldn't have been lost. They are also often a top laugh, have interesting stories and enjoy cups of tea.

I was considering floating the idea at my college that they start up/adopt such a program such as age actions's getting started program.

I mean, they have the facilities - modern computer rooms (actually it's best when the old cunce bring their own laptops), cups of tea, students who are tech savvy, I'm sure some of whom would be happy to give an hour once a week for three weeks.

It could be shot down straight off the bat with 'what if someone falls' or something like that though.
                                                                                                                      Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 17-01-15, 14:46.

Comment

Paul, they used to do that in DCU, so it's definitely possible, go for it! You can find out more from them probably.
                                                                                                                        Old people are not treated like people, homes and the way people think of them is a disgrace. The stories you hear from those places.

I liked the music therapy in this, bringing eldery people back into focus:

Subscribe to TRAILERS: http://bit.ly/sxaw6hSubscribe to COMING SOON: http://bit.ly/H2vZUnSubscribe to INDIE & FILM FESTIVALS: http://bit.ly/1wbkfYgLike us on...

The theory of everything and whiplash were pretty crap. The main actor/ress held Theory of everything together.

Comment

Any stream for the Munster game?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X