• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
    Imitation game was beyond excellent.
    A wonderful movie.
    Maybe slightly pandering but overall brilliant
    dude that was a haiku
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Hate when customers have buyers remorse and I have to "re-sell" the benefits of a product, but love it when it works out.

Customer email:

Hello Gordon,

I need your help, I want to change the Nissan for a Honda.

Please let me know if it's possible. To be exact I would like the Honda Accord EX-L Modern Steel Metallic with Black Interior.

Me:

Although we do sell Honda vehicles, they are not available for stateside delivery.

They are both great vehicles so I can understand your interest. The main thing that would swing it for me though is the Nissan’s amazing MPG ratings. When it comes to the drive quality, power and speed they are virtually identical.
      When it comes to design, most people feel that the Nissan’s design is bolder and geared towards a young person whereas the Honda has a more conservative feel.
      The MPG is something I just couldn't overlook. 38 on the highway for Nissan, which is an amazing figure. The Honda Accord only gets 28 or 30 depending on the transmission. That’s a massive difference.
      A lot of our clients pay $5000 or more for that level of MPG savings when they are looking at gas versus diesel. And for Nissan to be able to provide that in a gas engine for no extra cost is just incredible.
      In your opinion do you feel that this would benefit you xxxxxxxxx?

Customer:
      Yes it would. Ok thank you so much.. I'm going to stick with the Nissan.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
          dude that was a haiku
          the words flow while drunk
          the devil wine
          it makes poets of us all
          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

American sniper was just amazing, oscar written all over it.

Unbroken on the other hand. Entertaining and they love the true stories, definitely the nod for best pic too.

SPOILER
            It just didnt go enough into the misery they went through, it was evident but visually i feel it needed more.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

seems the drummer kid in whiplash did the soundtrack for birdman

best bit off Brookers wipe 2014

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

i like this Surkov guy, seems to be a real go-getter with defined goals and agenda.
              Last edited by nicnicnic; 08-01-15, 03:52.

Comment

Beat: Had a HSE Psyche appointment today for the first time, it was utterly pointless.
                My doctor referred months ago due to low flat mood. The psychiatrist who spoke at me (her underling who did the leg work was a sound brown lad) was dismissive, curt and condescending.
                What I've deduced is that unbeknownst to me, essentially there was zero point in me presenting myself, unless I was a suicide risk and wtf was I doing wasting her time. I clearly missed a memo.
                I might have to write a review of her that she has 'the bedside manner of Harold Shipman.'

vs

Brag: Girlfriend was quite busy today between college, commuting and training but she knows that I've been in shit form since this morning (wear me on me sleeve innit m8s, also far too sensitive obviously).
                She only went skyed me out of the blue a couple of hours ago. Her phone beautifully framing her shower as she treated me to a nice soapy suddsey show of her showering, all the while sashaying, dancing and singing along to the music she had playing: various throw back songs from do wop 50's type numbers to slower sultry numbers such as below.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 08-01-15, 04:26.

Comment

Beat: Had a HSE Psyche appointment today for the first time, it was utterly pointless.
                  My doctor referred months ago due to low flat mood. The psychiatrist who spoke at me (her underling who did the leg work was a sound brown lad) was dismissive, curt and condescending.
                  What I've deduced is that unbeknownst to me, essentially there was zero point in me presenting myself, unless I was a suicide risk and wtf was I doing wasting her time. I clearly missed a memo.
                  I might have to write a review of her that she has 'the bedside manner of Harold Shipman.'

vs

Brag: Girlfriend was quite busy today between college, commuting and training but she knows that I've been in shit form since this morning (wear me on me sleeve innit m8s, also far too sensitive obviously).
                  She only went skyed me out of the blue a couple of hours ago. Her phone beautifully framing her shower as she treated me to a nice soapy suddsey show of her showering, all the while sashaying, dancing and singing along to the music she had playing: various throw back songs from do wop 50's type numbers to slower sultry numbers such as below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttjh_kK62lY
                  Dude.... Don't make me say it!!
                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                    Wondering will i make a balls of this again! Will send to Dom late on Friday night so put me down.

@Kev,

Are you accepted payments on our behalf for the other Prem thing we did with Damien? I see the deadline is also Saturday. Is that how we paid the first half?
                    Yep no probs Tony

Comment

I thought this years newswipe was fairly disappointing, I think he put all his end of year effort into Black Mirror instead.

Also I didn't realise that Armando Iannucci, Chris Morris, and Brooker worked together in the early days, fairly crack team.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                        What are we all betting on?
                        Yes vote % to be under 66.5
                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                          Have never managed to get more than 200 on at the quoted price in a shop.
                          It's all about picking the right shop
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Just on the referendum bet some more. Lets look at actual numbers that would be required to get a 68% Yes. Might make it a little clearer on where we're seeing value here.

Let's just pie in the sky say that if everyone who could vote was asked today, that 75% would be Yes. Under these assumptions 25% of the electorate (~825,000) are no voters. No voters vote. Stretch it to 80/85% and the 20% is still a large number of voters.

Let's make an assumption that the No Campaign manages a conversion rate of approximately 66%, that is people who would answer No, actually going to the polls on the day and voting No. That means that there's ~ 550,000 No votes that 'will happen'. (I believe it will be closer to 80%)

What this bet now hinges on (other than our assumptions) is the conversion rate of the Yeses. From the above table, Yes only wins a 68% vote (in the presence of 550k No Voters) if of the 2.45M 'Yeses' they get a 50% conversion rate and above. Do you believe that the Yes campaign can do this? Do you believe that on the day, half of all the people in the country that believe that it should be fair, will make it to the polls and vote?

Adjust my numbers in the assumptions as you wish to find the expected Min # of No Voters, then see what type of Turnout/Conversion Rate is needed to get the Yes Vote to be twice that and more.

Guess the minimum number of No Votes however which way you want, and see how it fits into the above table.
                              Last edited by Emmet; 08-01-15, 09:37. Reason: Line has changed to 66.5

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                It's all about picking the right shop
                                Do I have to cycle up in a tracksuit?

Comment

The population of county Donegal was 161,137 according to the 2011 census
                                  That's a good start imo

Comment

Comment

I'm not convinced the moderate no voters are ridiculously more inclined to vote on this issue than the moderately yes voters.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                          Yes vote % to be under 66.5
                                          Are we putting all of the monies on?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                            Imitation game was beyond excellent.
                                            A wonderful movie.
                                            Maybe slightly pandering but overall brilliant
                                            I dunno, I saw it in the cinema in December and maybe I wanted to love it more than I actually did.
                                            The problem for me is that at the end of the day its a biopic and as such the errors and omissions that in fairness to the production are well crafted to tell the heart of the story to people who don't know it were too much for me to stomach.

For example, one of the things I keep hearing people say they like about the script is the way they present the moral dilemma about how to use the intelligence they were getting. They do achieve that very well in the context of a fictionalised version of the story by presenting the kid who wants to save his brother. But the idea that it was the techies in Bletchley that were making those decisions is nonsense and as important a part of the story as it is, shoehorning it into a Turing biopic is ridiculously tilting to me.
                                            Another thing that drove me nuts is that they clearly try to give the impression that Turing dreamed up the Bombes from a standing start without any mention of all the previous work that had been done.
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I am having a bit of a problem with my sound set up that I hoping the BBV will be able help out with.

I normally play my sound through my surround sound system using it to control volume and the sound on the TV turned down to minimum.

Now for some reason the sound on the TV wont go down to 0 or mute and there is a little residual sound which makes it all very 'echoy'.

I have noticed that the graphic that comes up for volume has changed to say "Home Cinema Sound", but I have no idea how this happened as its a relatively old TV and there's no software to update.

Is this something I can fix or get fixed easily?

Any help appreciated.

Ciaran, 33, Dundalk.

Comment

I saw Birdman in the cinema the other evening, its was an enjoyable ride,
                                                its a good rather than a great film
                                                Filmed beautifully, the tracking shots are spectacular, all the cast are excellent (How does Ed Norton still look so young ) and the drum solo soundtrack is just brilliant thinking about it afterwards it seemed to be lacking a little bit of substance that got covered over by the style.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                  I dunno, I saw it in the cinema in December and maybe I wanted to love it more than I actually did.
                                                  The problem for me is that at the end of the day its a biopic and as such the errors and omissions that in fairness to the production are well crafted to tell the heart of the story to people who don't know it were too much for me to stomach.

For example, one of the things I keep hearing people say they like about the script is the way they present the moral dilemma about how to use the intelligence they were getting. They do achieve that very well in the context of a fictionalised version of the story by presenting the kid who wants to save his brother. But the idea that it was the techies in Bletchley that were making those decisions is nonsense and as important a part of the story as it is, shoehorning it into a Turing biopic is ridiculously tilting to me.
                                                  Another thing that drove me nuts is that they clearly try to give the impression that Turing dreamed up the Bombes from a standing start without any mention of all the previous work that had been done.
                                                  Yeah I'm probably not going to watch it for those reasons. I've read enough books about Turing and Bletchley to know it will annoy me greatly.
                                                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Another movie I watched was a screener of the Drop. Thought it was an above average telling version of a Lehane story.

I may not have been paying enough attention and missed a scene...
                                                    SPOILER
                                                    Where did the arm come from

I wasn't sure at first that it belonged to the guy with the watch but after Cousin Marv reverses into the other robber I assumed it must have been him killed his buddy and left the arm for Bob to find.

Edit : Ooops! Spoiler not quote
                                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 08-01-15, 11:45.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                      Yeah I'm probably not going to watch it for those reasons. I've read enough books about Turing and Bletchley to know it will annoy me greatly.
                                                      TBH now that you've read that and had your expectations set you will probably be less tilted than I was by it.

I was just going to write that CumberSnatch does to a pretty good job of portraying him but now that I think about it the performance is probably a bit strong and more of an interpretation than an impression (Impression is better for a biopic IMO).
                                                      Because there is little or nothing of Turing on tape he has played him as 11 on the functioning autism / asbergers spectrum and I'm not sure that that is an accurate representation of the great mans undoubted eccentricities, it certainly feels a bit anachronistic.

Comment

On the war intelligence thing, we did a tour of Churchills war bunkers last year. Fascinating to see how it was setup. Literal cell structure, each part separate with only himself allowed free range to roam between the units.
                                                        Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                        https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                          Yeah, think we forget how ridic backward the west of Ireland is.
                                                          Galway city is the heart of the West of Ireland (in my humble opinion) and is not "ridic backward". O'Connell Street is at the very centre of the anglophilic east of Ireland and is both a stone's throw from ghettos of various types and plagued by hordes of the living dead heroin addicts 24/7, with the authorities seemingly having given up trying to fix the problem - that's fecking backwards Finally watched the interesting Women on the Inside RTE documentary over the past few days, the only women with West of Ireland accents inside the Dochas Centre were working in the prison service or associated supportive services, those detained at the pleasure of the state were almost all from the 'enlightened' surroundings of Dublin city...

I'll note that I do like much of Dublin, before anyone tells me to go back home, and I'm being more than a little tongue-in-cheek!

Comment

Because there is little or nothing of Turing on tape he has played him as 11 on the functioning autism / asbergers spectrum and I'm not sure that that is an accurate representation of the great mans undoubted eccentricities, it certainly feels a bit anachronistic.
                                                            That's about what I was expecting. Not quite Charles Babbage level of neckbeardery, but someone who doesn't understand social mores and therefore pays no attention to them. Hrm, maybe I will see it.
                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

This movie also taught me that Turing was asexual

Comment

A lot of autistic people would be.

Got a group skype from riggs gf this morning?! She cheers everybody up.

Don't be put off by a bad mental health professional riggsy, for a bad one there are 100 good ones.
                                                                They are incredibly beneficial.

Comment

Galway city is the heart of the West of Ireland (in my humble opinion) and is not "ridic backward". O'Connell Street is at the very centre of the anglophilic east of Ireland and is both a stone's throw from ghettos of various types and plagued by hordes of the living dead heroin addicts 24/7, with the authorities seemingly having given up trying to fix the problem - that's fecking backwards Finally watched the interesting Women on the Inside RTE documentary over the past few days, the only women with West of Ireland accents inside the Dochas Centre were working in the prison service or associated supportive services, those detained at the pleasure of the state were almost all from the 'enlightened' surroundings of Dublin city...

I'll note that I do like much of Dublin, before anyone tells me to go back home, and I'm being more than a little tongue-in-cheek!
                                                                  Was down for the IPC and had a foreigner who had never really been outside Dublin down. We went down around town on Saturday lunchtime & was remarked how nice it was and " the people seem different to Dublin".

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                    That's a good start imo
                                                                    Listen here now!!

In other things though this is pretty funny, don't watch if you are Indian or easily offended. Probably the most amount of cricket I have ever watched as well!

Comment

For anyone who has their interest piqued by the Turing story and wants to look a little more deeply at the broader subject I'd highly recommend James Gliek's book The Information a history a theory a flood as being one of the best popular science reads I've come across.
                                                                      There is an audio version of the book with the cousins, that works very well and its currently selling for a fiver in Chapters..

Comment

It probably didn't help that I'm not a cumberbatch fan at all and that his performance seemed quite similar to what little I was able to stomach of Sherlock

Comment

Every time I want to bet on the gays, the line moves. Under 64.5 now.

Comment

Just on noticing it:

(a) hope Duncan Stewart doesn't Google, darn I've said it again

(b) best tagline ever
                                                                            Oh yeah, woke up this morning to see that Mattress Mick had requested to add ME on Linkedin.

Take that.

Comment

showery stuff
                                                                              young wans have no shame, wp
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

...

Comment

A friend was wondering if there are any bookies that offer markets on morbid stuff like dead pools, next airline to lose a plane and stuff like that. Anyone know if there is, and if not what would be the reasoning behind it...legal or something else?

TY.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                    A friend was wondering if there are any bookies that offer markets on morbid stuff like dead pools, next airline to lose a plane and stuff like that. Anyone know if there is, and if not what would be the reasoning behind it...legal or something else?

TY.
                                                                                    Being cretins?
                                                                                    Probably dodgy offering financial incentives on someones future death (or a crime). Bit like if you could take out an insurance policy on someone else's life.
                                                                                    Last edited by Lord Sir Banter; 08-01-15, 12:45.

Comment

Being cretins?
                                                                                      PP generally seem to have no problem with this though...

Comment

TY.
                                                                                        The Dead Pool stuff is just unpleasant, they would definitely get negative publicity from this.
                                                                                        'Next airline to lose a plane' would surely leave themselves open to being sued if the favourites tag ('in the know punters plunged on XAir to be the next crash') led to an airline losing bookings.

Comment

...
                                                                                          Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 08-01-15, 12:56.

Comment

I think you need to distance biopic from documentary.
                                                                                            I can see your point, but its gets in the way of good storytelling

Comment

The backward west of Ireland thing is loloverstated mostly by people who only cross the Shannon to go to the Galway Oyster Festival.

The reason Dublin is so young and liberal is because all of the people in it have moved to it from the west of Ireland since they finished college.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                The backward west of Ireland thing is loloverstated mostly by people who only cross the Shannon to go to the Galway Oyster Festival.

The reason Dublin is so young and liberal is because all of the people in it have moved to it from the west of Ireland since they finished college.
                                                                                                Her has a point if he's talking about mayo though

Comment

I think ireland is still backward in many ways.
                                                                                                  The fucking licensing laws.
                                                                                                  Not been able to get a drink in a supermarket before 12 on a sunday the restricted opening hours at night.
                                                                                                  Most pubs closing at the same time 2-3 huge crowds spilling out to the streets.

Loved the freedom of living in Holland could do a 2 day bender legally with late clubs after morning partys.
                                                                                                  Would end up shaking like a french soldier after it though.

And the blasphemy laws http://www.universitytimes.ie/?p=32228

Comment

After an unsuccessful spell managing Preston North End, Bobby Charlton signed for Waterford United in 1976. He was 39 years old at the time, but Charlton still had the stamina and ability to dominate matches from midfield

Comment

Curious about what the correlation will be between voting for Norris and voting yes in the ref

Comment

TY.

Paddy Power would be your best bet by far but would need an email asking for them to price the market. They often word the bet differently too - e.g. when Obama was elected, there was a market offered "Obama not to complete his first term in office". That was basically regarded as a market for Obama to be assassinated.

I asked for a price on Argentina to beat Brazil in the World Cup final and riots to take place following the match and the Maracana to be burnt to the ground...they didn't quote me a price though.
                                                                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

...Shite kicking off in Paris again by the looks of things...If its related to yesterday, then it could get very messy...
                                                                                                          ...Wonder what is going through the minds of the 2 guys from yesterday...Do they go to ground and try hide , or do they think they are fucked and go out all guns blazing?...

Comment

Oh yeah, woke up this morning to see that Mattress Mick had requested to add ME on Linkedin.

Take that.
                                                                                                            how could you possibly be down now?

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                                              ...Shite kicking off in Paris again by the looks of things...If its related to yesterday, then it could get very messy...
                                                                                                              ...Wonder what is going through the minds of the 2 guys from yesterday...Do they go to ground and try hide , or do they think they are fucked and go out all guns blazing?...
                                                                                                              Anybody else think that current events in France could escalate to a more devastating end - I'm not thinking about the two current on the run terrorists going on another spree but more that the backlash from the authorities/anti Islam brigade and French society at large could cause many more French Muslims to feel more alienated from society and thus become more radicalised.
                                                                                                              If I'm not mistaken there is already a large proportion of ghettoised muslims in france, suffering from a lack of education; skills and the almighty euro!

When I spent a couple of months in the south of France, the hatred between the north african/arab immigrants and the French was something I had not experienced before.
                                                                                                              Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                                                Anybody else think that current events in France could escalate to a more devastating end - I'm not thinking about the two current on the run terrorists going on another spree but more that the backlash from the authorities/anti Islam brigade and French society at large could cause many more French Muslims to feel more alienated from society and thus become more radicalised.
                                                                                                                If I'm not mistaken there is already a large proportion of ghettoised muslims in france, suffering from a lack of education; skills and the almighty euro!

When I spent a couple of months in the south of France, the hatred between the north african/arab immigrants and the French was something I had not experienced before.
                                                                                                                Newstalk were reporting this morning that the cop who was shot on the street was a Muslim. The image of that is as poignant as any other in this story so I would hope that this would mean there won’t be a ‘rebellion’ against the French Muslim community as all French people should feel solidarity with that image.

Comment

Would totally trade Duncan Stewart for Mattress Mick
                                                                                                                  We need all our crap "celeb" media on here.
                                                                                                                  Kim kardashian added me on fb years ago, I removed her after the bank was empty.
                                                                                                                  A girl that does porn added me on twitter. Love her work.
                                                                                                                  In my youth we used to call craig david, only saying "craig davvvid" until he changed his number. Also buckingham palace for the lols, "you have reached the royal household"

Who is next internet!

Corporate update soon today, get to find out how many blackhawk helicopters and iron man suits we made this year.
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 08-01-15, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post
                                                                                                                    Thats their plan http://www.juancole.com/2015/01/shar...satirists.html

Comment

Managed to get €500 on the gay bet in a shop.

Asked what the max was. She said there isn't a max.

So I said I'll put a €1000 on so. I've never seen anyone reach for a phone so fucking quick. After a minute on the phone she goes 'I don't know he is wearing a suit'

Max bet €500. Cunts.

Comment

Tracksuit?

Comment

What do I need to write on a betting slip for this Gay Bet?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X