Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking about depression doesn't normalise depression, it normalises talking about it.
    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Do Power Line adaptors work on Fibre Optic broadband? If not what is my best option for extending the broadband range?

Thanks for any Help.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
        Do Power Line adaptors work on Fibre Optic broadband? If not what is my best option for extending the broadband range?

Thanks for any Help.
        they work on any broadband, as they connect up to your router. You'd want to check what speed they will allow so you're not creating an artifical bottleneck.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
          Talking about depression doesn't normalise depression, it normalises talking about it.
          This. If people talk about their problems they are more likely to seek a proper medical diagnosis and treatment, and are much less likely have a severe incident.
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post

Thanks for any Help.
            They're the nuts.

Comment

Anything to be said for throwing some lithium in the water supply?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                This. If people talk about their problems they are more likely to seek a proper medical diagnosis and treatment, and are much less likely have a severe incident.
                This is particularly bad with Irish people, and our culture of feeling shame and shaming. Bate into us.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                  I think the point is more about separating out actual depression from "having a bad day"

There is definitely a growing trend of people who state they are depressed and a result they are or should be forgiven for any number of trangressions. The problem is that nobody, for the most part, is going to be inclined/motivated to call it for what it is.

Friends & families will err on the side of caution for fear of starting a worse negative spiral. GP's for the most part aren't equipped to deal with it so will either

a) prescribe anti-depressants
                  b) prescribe anti-depressants and recommend a physc visit

Psychiatrists will obviously want a series of meetings to establish whether or not there is a mental disorder that needs treatment or not.

While we should all be cognisant of the damage and problems of depression, there is also a need to balance that with giving someone a kick up the hole imo
                  Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

I absolutely think it's better for people to talk about it than not talk about it, and it's better for society to try to address the problem rather than ignore it. However, I don't think society is aware yet of the ideal way to deal with depression.

I think you could argue it goes back to education, where incorrect information and education is often worse than no education on the topic. It seems to be the type of subject where information derived from personal experience is seen as just as valid as information derived from medical/psychological knowledge and research.
                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                      This is particularly bad with Irish people, and our culture of feeling shame and shaming. Bate into us.
                      and actually this is a great point on the other side of the fence. We have a culture of just sucking things up and the generation after me is probably the first one that really feels they can be more open about having problems and feelings.

There is a huge amount to be said for being open and receptive to peoples needs, feelings, worries and problems. I still think it needs to be balanced against the fact that there is also a tendency in that generation to blame things on external factors, including the likes of depression, rather than tackling problems or inadequacies in themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                        On the subject of depression, here is an interesting short game about dealing with it: http://www.depressionquest.com/

Its well worth a play through
                        Hmmm I beat the depression but now I've a cat and I'm living with my girlfriend

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                          there is also a need to balance that with giving someone a kick up the hole imo
                          You and hotspur should go into partnership.
                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

the creator of that game was one of the women targeted by Gamergate.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                              Anything to be said for throwing some lithium in the water supply?
                              Fun fact: 7-Up was originally a lithium drink, first called Bib Label Lithiated Lemon-Lime Soda.

Just think how much fun soft drinks used to be with this and cocaine laden Coca Cola.

Comment

I think the point is more about separating out actual depression from "having a bad day"
                                We train mental health professionals to be able to tell the difference between clinical depression and someone who is sad because their dog died. If they are not doing a good job of this, then there is a different set of problems, entirely unrelated to the state of the average patient.

While we should all be cognisant of the damage and problems of depression, there is also a need to balance that with giving someone a kick up the hole imo
                                Right, because this method is scientifically proven to be an effective treatment.
                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    I'm so depressed right now, if that makes any difference! Never thought I wouldn't see every moment of my daughter's growth.

Ah it'll be grand in a bit, and I clearly didn't manage the whole marriage right.
                                    Did I miss something?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Now that I think about it, it would be pretty awesome if a kick up the hole was shown to be an effective treatment. We'd all be sent off to a qualified, registered Butt Kicker every time we were feeling down. Kids would apply to Butt Kicking College when they leave school. Those who's situation was not improved by a butt kicking would have to endure bigger and harder butt kickings until they could finally be given anti-depressants and allowed to speak to a traditional psychologist. The medical industry would have a field day selling specially designed boots. Good times for all, really.
                                          Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 06-01-15, 17:53.

Comment

Depression, as a disease, suffers from sharing its name with a feeling. So many people don't know the difference.

Comment

Now that I think about it, it would be pretty awesome if a kick up the hole was shown to be an effective treatment. We'd all be sent off to a qualified, registered Butt Kicker every time we were feeling down.
                                              The revolution starts here my friend

Comment

Posted Sunday and new years about the marital problems
                                                Have you copped on to yourself yet?

Comment

Comment

This might seem harsh but there is talking about your problems and then there is plastering them on facebook hoping the likes will fill the chasm,hoping to become some kind of media depression guru, sure fuck the guys who have spent years studying it. 'raising awareness' has become a cover for all sorts of self serving behaviour. If you want to help join the samaritans, you might not get a column on the journal.ie but it'll do far more good.

Theres plenty of people with mental health problems who feel patronised by the infantile" your so Brave and special" nonsense that gets served up by self appointed gurus
                                                    Last edited by Guest; 06-01-15, 18:25.

Comment

Btw I'm not trolling, and have heard similar views expressed by people who have recovered from clinical depression
                                                      Also don't mean to offend anyone, I'm sure there is a few sufferers posting here
                                                      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-15, 18:33.

Comment

The revolution starts here my friend
                                                        Everyone knows you need to go to Australia for the best treatment

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Lol hitch man you have some serious issues. You are a basket case. If even half the tales you tell us in here are true then what did you expect, you are an idiot.

I'll say one thing though, if I fucked up my chance to be in my kids life because I was a complete jackass I'd never get over it. Wake up to yourself

Sorry if that's a bit harsh

Comment

Have kinda switched now to imagining what the next stage will be like. The new wife, new kids...
                                                            ...the alimony....

Thought you were going to counselling?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                    Btw I'm not trolling, and have heard similar views expressed by people who have recovered from clinical depression
                                                                    Also don't mean to offend anyone, I'm sure there is a few sufferers posting here
                                                                    Since the turn of the year you have done nothing but rant at groups of people. I suspect the issue may not be these various groups of people. You may not want to talk to people about what's up with you, but the idea of it doesn't need to be defended against with tirades against people who do talk about things that are troubling them.

Originally posted by Kim Huybrechts View Post
                                                                    Lol hitch man you have some serious issues. You are a basket case. If even half the tales you tell us in here are true then what did you expect, you are an idiot.

I'll say one thing though, if I fucked up my chance to be in my kids life because I was a complete jackass I'd never get over it. Wake up to yourself

Sorry if that's a bit harsh
                                                                    Stick to talking about darts or whatever imo, there are plenty of topics you can be a cunt about, there's no need to take it to an issue as deeply heartfelt as this. You're not sorry you're being harsh, you're a fucking gobshite. And this is 100% independent of the truth of anything you wrote.

And to think there are people leaving IPB with storylines like this. Sure where would you get it? Eastenders has nothing on us. Smashing start to the new year. Let's keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                      I know of two stories involving two of the very top flat racehorse trainers in Ireland.

Trainer A - Told his dad that he was getting rid of the wife, the dad told him it would cost him 50% of his wealth so €XXm and uttered the words "go home and learn how to love her"

Trainer B - A renowned scrooge was getting rid of the wife until his solicitor gave him the number. Love was found again.
                                                                      So the lesson is don't get married?

Actually one thing that perplexes me about the marriage referendum is the argument that marriage is all about children. Has that always been the case or that something that was decided when SSM came along? Prior to the I was always under the impression that it was adult-centric.
                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 06-01-15, 19:10.

Comment

You are wrong though. 'If I fucked up my chance'. Is it only me who fcks things up in the partnership? Is the dating process that perfect?
                                                                        So true. I'd have been much more inclined to apologising to my ex for cheating on her if she hadn't been such a cunt.

Comment

Pre-nup

Comment

Comment

Or marry a wealthy one with a few acres

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                  Or marry a wealthy one with a few acres
                                                                                  Bita frontage.

Comment

...

Comment

Too far gone. Not even living at home.
                                                                                      There are two ways of looking at this

- There's enough love between you that you are both willing to sit down, work out what seems to be wrong on both sides and agree that either the behaviours/attitudes/things will change because it's what you both want. Or indeed that they won't because that level of change isn't natural to you, and you split anyway.

- You both decide that there isn't enough there to justify going through the process above and decide that separate is better and start planning how you can best minimise the impact on your daughter and ensure that each of you comes out of it in the best possible way to salvage some element of interaction for her sake

Either way, whether there's enough there for you both to come to your senses and make it work, or indeed if this break signals you both coming to your senses and finding an alternative way of making it work

you should still be heavily involved in your daughters life and whichever way it ends up will probably be for the best. If you need someone to be a sounding board just shout.

Comment

Cunt is a great word.

So misused though.
                                                                                        This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                        All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                        The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

...

Comment

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

GL Hitch. Try and preserve some sort of relationship with the mother of your child and keep your eye on the prize of maintaining strong contact with your child in the future. If the marriage is gone so be it but your daughter is too important.
                                                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Bita frontage.
                                                                                              Oh she's not short on that either

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                                Since the turn of the year you have done nothing but rant at groups of people. I suspect the issue may not be these various groups of people. You may not want to talk to people about what's up with you, but the idea of it doesn't need to be defended against with tirades against people who do talk about things that are troubling them.

.
                                                                                                I don't see any tirade against people who talk about what's troubling them, I do see a tirade against a specific method some people use and against some of the approaches and language used with dealing with mental health. Admittedly some real world experiences may be coloring my perception.
                                                                                                Also I think you'll find I've been doing nothing but rant against various groups of people since I started posting here but thanks for your professional diagnosis anyway

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                  Unpopular opinion but think he's being treated a little harshly - the whole concept of 'paid his debt to society' seems to be getting ignored.
                                                                                                  Hard to see a way back into the game for him, needs a club where the chairman doesn't give a fuck and is less reliant on external sponsorship - Wigan maybe?
                                                                                                  That doesn't apply for a high profile footballer whose image rights are sold as a role model to children. He can fuck off and get a proper job if he wants to work.
                                                                                                  Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                  The main objections seem to be based on the fact that he maintains his innocence on the charges.
                                                                                                  It certainly is making his case far worse but I think unless he was genuinely contrite publicly the same problem remains.

Prosecution's case has more holes than a fine gorgonzola. I still have no idea how they managed to obtain a conviction. Good summary of the evidence against him here, a description of the decision to refuse an appeal:

https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-...-chedwyn-evans
                                                                                                  No holes in this mate
                                                                                                  whether she may have consented, although she had consumed a large quantity of alcohol;
                                                                                                  You fuck a girl who is too drunk to consent you are a rapist, simple as that.

Eric Hall doing a great job of arguing his case on c4 now
                                                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

So true. I'd have been much more inclined to apologising to my ex for cheating on her if she hadn't been such a cunt.
                                                                                                    Not the time for judgements surely? I'm not blaming her. I would never use the latter term.
                                                                                                    I may be misreading this, but I think Andy is talking about his own personal experience of cheating on his own ex who was a cunt rather than commenting on your situation.

That's my take on it anyhow.

Comment

Hipsters drink Barry's tea now Ted.
                                                                                                      Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                        I know of two stories involving two of the very top flat racehorse trainers in Ireland.

Trainer A - Told his dad that he was getting rid of the wife, the dad told him it would cost him 50% of his wealth so €XXm and uttered the words "go home and learn how to love her"

Trainer B - A renowned scrooge was getting rid of the wife until his solicitor gave him the number. Love was found again.
                                                                                                        A lad I know of was out celebrating his divorce having handed over 8 Million asks the question
                                                                                                        "Do you know why divorce is so expensive? "
                                                                                                        "Because its worth it"

That was about 2007 I'm not sure he feels quite the same now as she got all the cash and he kept all the debt
                                                                                                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

@Hitch, sorry to hear your news. V4V got it spot on, let he who is without sin. Some good advice on here that maybe you should take on board, especially Iagos about talking it out with someone you trust.

My 2c is don't rush into anything else because it won't solve any problems, more likely just create more. Not speaking from personal experience but I have a lot of friends who went through the same thing and they just rushed headlong into the next pair of arms (or whatever ) came their way.

Take your time and let things settle is all I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                            Cunt is a great word.

So misused though.
                                                                                                            Its especially good when someone you wouldn't expect to use it just comes out with it. Eg my mother-in-law.

Comment

You are wrong though. 'If I fucked up my chance'. Is it only me who fcks things up in the partnership? Is the dating process that perfect?
                                                                                                              Obv I don't know your situation and I'm basing my opinion on solely BBV hitch which isn't fair either. I'm probably miles wrong. It's just a view I have taken from here

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                                                                Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

GL Hitch. Try and preserve some sort of relationship with the mother of your child and keep your eye on the prize of maintaining strong contact with your child in the future. If the marriage is gone so be it but your daughter is too important.
                                                                                                                This. (I think this is what Iago was saying too but his blatant plea for HH to let him administer a kick up the hole clouded my reading)

I'm sure everyone on here has failed relationships behind them, many with kids included. HH will work things out as best he can.

One thought: perhaps people feel they can be overly judgemental due to his propensity for oversharing the details of his life on here? Much in the way people feel like they have some kind of personal ownership in the lives of celebrities. Don't know. Edit; post above seems to confirm this suspicion.

Comment

I'm liking the new spiky Hotspur it must be said.
                                                                                                                  Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                    I'm liking the new spiky Hotspur it must be said.
                                                                                                                    The Iagospur Counselling Clinic will be great altogether.

Patient: "so I feel all sad and depressed doctors, please make me better"

Hotspur: "STFU you whiny bitch"

Iago: "never mind him just turn around for a sec there will you?"

{Boot!}

"That'll be €500 please"

Hotspur: "dolla dolla yo".

Comment

...

Comment

...Lots of Serious conversation today, I'm almost frightened to comment...Start with the obvious, Cunt is a great word to describe certain people...
                                                                                                                        ...I personally wonder is there too much discussion about Depression in recent months...As mentioned, it is important to talk about it, but speaking personally, talking to family and friends/girlfriend doesn't necessarily help...It can be a very emotional thing to mention, and people can over react or under react in certain circumstances which results in negative results...I fear that so many advertisements, help lines and people sticking it up on Facebook so much has turned it into something that people will soon become reluctant to face, for fear they will get a negative reaction and be told they are just jumping on the bandwagon...I know I spent months frightened of this, and the more I read/seen shite about it the harder it made to face...I think it needs to mentioned less than it has recently, especially by normal people, and let the professionals do their job...

...on a different note, Hitch..I posted a couple of weeks ago when you mentioned you had a difficulty and I was possibly harsh, but I'm sorry to hear that it hasn't worked out...I hope you manage to sort out the child arrangements...oh and you mention not living there, free room in my house (for 5/6 weeks anyway) if your stuck at any stage...

...Lastly, watching Boardwalk empire...Can someone explain the mother/son relationship thing...disgusting and erotic at the same time...

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                                          Its especially good when someone you wouldn't expect to use it just comes out with it. Eg my mother-in-law.
                                                                                                                          What did you do - finish the last of the Christmas ham when drunk, put a wet spoon into the sugar or take the last of her favourite chocolate leaving nothing but crap and wrappers in the box like an animal?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X