X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    ummmm

that was a joke
    Ah. It's pretty fucking excellent. I have a major problem with 3 hour movies though, no matter how good they are. There are a few exceptions, though I still have to be in a particular state of mind to watch them.
    Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Booked couples counselling for the 13th.
      Post-Christmas, I'd imagine this is like selling gym memberships in the first week of January.

<Image of hotspur gleefully rubbing hands together, chanting 'dolla, dolla yo' as yet another teary spouse calls in>
      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
        Backs up my belief that there is no such thing as true altruism. Imo, every single act no matter how selfless it appears, ultimately is done for the benefit of the self*, whether that's conscious or not.

Would you agree?

*or the self's genes.
        It's a big question, and actually quite complex. A lot of it is definitional. It was a topic I was very interested in years ago as an undergraduate when it became a hot topic in psychology with a lot of studies being done. My conclusion then from reading them was that true altruism does exist.

It gets harder when by definition you make the criteria for true altruism more and more stringent, as you allude to there with the reference to genes. We have evolved to co-operate among our in-group, and previously in-groups would have been genetically close relatives in small hunter gather communities of a couple of dozen. So if I have genes for altruistic helping and I help an in-group member then i may be helping them to propagate their genes, and since their genes share some of mine then their offspring will be likely to have my altruism genes too. And thus by helping others I am propagating my genes. Are we to then call this "not altruism" because it confers this "benefit"?

We come into the world hard wired to respond to the suffering of others, to be compassionate, empathic, co-operative, and altruistic. It is our nature. It evolved to be our nature because they were successful traits in respect of genetic fitness (defined in terms of propagation of genes). Here is a very short video on the hard wired nature of it, I found it because I searched for the video at the end of it with the toddler helping the guy carrying books which I like:
        So much of the action in psychology has been a running debate over which view is right.

So if I am moved to alleviate the suffering of someone, at a cost to me, does it render it not altruism because this trait is in my genetic make-up because it is beneficial to my genes for it to be? I find that too stringent a definition of altruism. Because it is not reflexive or automatic. More often than not we can have the thought of being altruistic and go "fuck it". So we are not slaves to our genes.

I think the motivation is important. If you are helping someone because the presence of their problem is just annoying you then I don't think it is altruistic. As a new father I am sure you have experienced both situations of soothing Amber because you wish for her not to feel distressed, and also just trying to get her to shut the fuck up because her crying is going through your head. I would suggest that the first is altruistic.

Many people do pro-social things which I would not classify as being altruistic because of their motivation. A lot of people will put the needs of others before their own when operating not from the soothing / compassion motivational system but from the threat system, because they have learnt to perceive expressing their own needs as being risky, that others may take offence and judge them or challenge them. They are not being nice they are being pussies. Others will do pro-social things for social approval or to feed or be consistent with a needed self-view that they are a "good" person.

I would call a behaviour of mine altruistic if in full (as much as possible) mindful awareness of the motivations behind it I discern that I am doing it to help the other person for their sake, not for any egoistic reasons, to get a positive experience, or alleviate a negative experience. Now that it happens to be in my genetic make-up for the aforementioned reasons, or that I likely will feel good about having done it, do not to my mind render it not altruistic because that is not my conscious motivation.

Compassion is something that I am really into now (these 2 book arrived for me today - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1444738178/ http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1593859759/ ), and it's the next big thing in terms of personal development, following on from mindfulness. Actually when January rolls around I'm doing an 8 week Mindful Self Compassion course.
        Kristin Neff, Ph.D., is an associate professor in human development and culture at the University of Texas, Austin, and the author of the book "Self-Compassi...

One thing about the altruism debate from a Buddhist philosophy perspective is that within Buddhism the perception that people are different and separate from you is considered to be an illusion. This view kind of collapses some of the debate. From this perspective you would be no less likely to help another than help yourself, because you are not separate. The thinking behind that is too difficult to get into here, but it's not as batshit or hippy as it first appears to be, but it needs to be understood from within the system of thinking itself.

If anyone should be curious to have a passing interest in the cultivation of compassion or "loving kindness" as the word Metta (Pali word important in Buddhism) often gets translated to in English then you could do a lot worse than listen to this talk on it by Jack Kornfield. Jack Kornfield is someone whom I adore and has had a big influence on me, and many people I have introduced him to have felt the same. He is a Buddhist teacher in America (poker relevance his retreat centre is called Spirit Rock which was a username that Prahlad Friedman used), also a trained clinical psychologist, spent years as a monk in SE Asia.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
          Ah. It's pretty fucking excellent. I have a major problem with 3 hour movies though, no matter how good they are. There are a few exceptions, though I still have to be in a particular state of mind to watch them.
          Mrs Doubtfire
          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Post-Christmas, I'd imagine this is like selling gym memberships in the first week of January.

<Image of hotspur gleefully rubbing hands together, chanting 'dolla, dolla yo' as yet another teary spouse calls in>
            That's so weird, 2 days ago I changed my wake up alarm on phone to this:
            Tickets + VIP Meet & Greets: http://smarturl.it/BATourSpotify: http://smarturl.it/SGDBSpotifyApple: http://smarturl.it/SGDBAppleiTunes: http://smarturl.it/SG...

Comment

Booked couples counselling for the 13th. Actually booked out two weeks ahead. The metrosexual revolution continues.
              Turn up sober.

Comment

Comment

I gave a hobo a can the other night.

just letting everybody know im great

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                    That's so weird, 2 days ago I changed my wake up alarm on phone to this:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KBXmzTrcpY
                    I should be the psycho-talking guy really

People really are fucking predictable though, you must have the easiest job in the world.

Comment

I should be the psycho-talking guy really

People really are fucking predictable though, you must have the easiest job in the world.
                      Time to get your 2015 predictions in. How is the new jax working out?

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                        I gave a hobo a can the other night.

just letting everybody know im great
                        This morning there was a well to do bird concerned about a hobo on Ushers quay. He was fairly ramped up for that time of the morning and giving it all this. I was cycling stopped at lights right beside them. She says ''Have you got a safe place?'' ''I do'' ''Well take care of it'' ''I bleedin am''.
                        The girl was lovely i was thinking you need to be looking after me like this.

Comment

Time to get your 2015 predictions in. How is the new jax working out?
                          Grand thanks. We made your man elevate them to a more comfortable height so shytin' away ta bate the band.

I'm awaiting Hitch's prognostications.

Comment

Anyone watch the movie The Judge? Any good
                            Her sky-ness
                            © 5starpool

Comment

Booked couples counselling for the 13th. Actually booked out two weeks ahead. The metrosexual revolution continues.
                              The 13th is a good day, it's the day Finkel arrived on this planet

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                Anyone watch the movie The Judge? Any good
                                It is entertaining, very formulaic though, you will not regret watching it.

I enjoyed The Hobbit earlier, it entertained me and the HFR and 3D were very good.

How did your eulogy for your Gran go earlier ? You didnt stay on and get locked i take it ?
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                                  Watched Annie Hall the other day with a slew of gin & lemon. What a film. I think Diane Keaton is weak but was perfect for that part.
                                  I'll be watching Match point soon but probably the newer version. This film has to be right up there with the greats.
                                  Pretty sure 'Hannah and her sisters' is still my favourite. http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/ha...r-sisters-1986

[after learning Mickey is infertile]
                                  Hannah: Could you have ruined yourself somehow?
                                  Mickey: How could I ruin myself?
                                  Hannah: I don't know. Excessive masturbation?
                                  Mickey: You gonna start knockin' my hobbies?
                                  Mickey's Father: How the hell do I know why there were Nazis? I don't know how the can opener works!
                                  Frederick: You missed a very dull TV show on Auschwitz. More gruesome film clips, and more puzzled intellectuals declaring their mystification over the systematic murder of millions. The reason they can never answer the question "How could it possibly happen?" is that it's the wrong question. Given what people are, the question is "Why doesn't it happen more often?"
                                  Hannah, And, Her, Sisters, Woody, Allen, 1986, Woody Allen (Writer)

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                    It is entertaining, very formulaic though, you will not regret watching it.

I enjoyed The Hobbit earlier, it entertained me and the HFR and 3D were very good.

How did your eulogy for your Gran go earlier ? You didnt stay on and get locked i take it ?
                                    Colm is pissed here on gentleman jack hot whiskey and have no pleasure watching it as he keeps talking so turned it off lol

eulogy went fantastic, first time in life my knees were knocking with nerves though. Got a few cheers and an applause and so many people thanked me afterwards. My granny words all my life to me were " you are a brazen bitch, followed by a friendly clatter across the head" and I know well in my heart she would have nobody else reading that eulogy today and was probably looking down smiling! Beautiful peaceful funeral with a lovely meal in the Anner hotel ( she always said , " when I die do not give people sandwiches and tea, sit them down and give them a proper dinner" lol
                                    I didnt drink today , I have had 4 days of driving up and down to Tipp and what with colms mother being sick also and us having to spend time with her when he first arrived and then my mother up here for xmas and then nanny going., I have not had one day alone with colm, it has been stressful enough. my dad and partner arrive tommorrw as they do this time every yr ( and we are so looking forward it tbh) Colm gone then Fri and I wont see him till march ffs!

what an odd xmas!
                                    Her sky-ness
                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Oh jasus thats good CourierCollie, i dont even want to watch the youtube clip till i see the film. Though imo Mia Farrow and Sondra Locke is a close run thing on who is best at weakening films, Locke by 3.5L. Lead actors were such saps at having their lovers co-star back then. These days it simply wouldn't be allowed.

Comment

Excellent post Hotspur. I suppose it's just semantics, I feel if you follow the true definition of the word it doesn't exist but I agree maybe that's too stringent. 'Altruism' as we know it of course exists, selfless acts that only show a benefit on the genetic level aren't consciously selfish so therefore are truly altruistic in a less stringent definition of the term.

Maybe the definition needs a little tuning.
                                        Last edited by Lazare; 30-12-14, 23:11.
                                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Bit of a long-shot but I know a few of you have Samsung smart TVs so worth a try ... has anyone had issues where the HDMI feed is repeatedly interrupted for a split second?

The Sky box is recording & we can rewind & rewatch the missed content no problem so it's not a problem between the box & the dish. It only started happening today but it's already ridiculously annoying.
                                          I've updated the firmware on the box and the software on the TV, no help, and tried a different HDMI cable.

A solution would be great.
                                          . .

Comment

Originally posted by one ill cat View Post
                                            Bit of a long-shot but I know a few of you have Samsung smart TVs so worth a try ... has anyone had issues where the HDMI feed is repeatedly interrupted for a split second?

The Sky box is recording & we can rewind & rewatch the missed content no problem so it's not a problem between the box & the dish. It only started happening today but it's already ridiculously annoying.
                                            I've updated the firmware on the box and the software on the TV, no help, and tried a different HDMI cable.

A solution would be great.
                                            Have you tried another HDMI port on the TV?

If still having issues try another HDMI device to see if that has the same issue, a DVD player or Laptop would do the trick.

Also worth checking the output settings on the Sky box in case it is set to a frame rate the TV has difficulty with.
                                            sigpic
                                            www.d4events.com

Comment

I watched The Adjustment Bureau earlier and really enjoyed it. Very much my kind of thing, like a Twilight Zone episode.

Comment

Originally posted by shortstack View Post
                                                Have you tried another HDMI port on the TV?
                                                Yeah, tried that but same problem

If still having issues try another HDMI device to see if that has the same issue, a DVD player or Laptop would do the trick.
                                                Tried the PS4 - same issue.

Also worth checking the output settings on the Sky box in case it is set to a frame rate the TV has difficulty with.
                                                Not sure where exactly to find this, but from HD box settings screen:
                                                HD Resolution Output = 1080i
                                                HDMI Control = ON

We have an 8 series Samsung Smart TV which has given no trouble in the 2 years we've had it

The weirdest thing is that it was working fine then started this nonsense out of the blue.
                                                . .

Comment

Originally posted by one ill cat View Post
                                                  Yeah, tried that but same problem

Tried the PS4 - same issue.

Not sure where exactly to find this, but from HD box settings screen:
                                                  HD Resolution Output = 1080i
                                                  HDMI Control = ON

We have an 8 series Samsung Smart TV which has given no trouble in the 2 years we've had it

The weirdest thing is that it was working fine then started this nonsense out of the blue.
                                                  I'd be pretty sure that it is a fault with the TV then. If you have updated the software then it's most likely to do with the hardware. I'd try and reset the software to factory default if there is that option on your TV as a last resort.

One other thing to check out is to connect the SKY box via the aerial connection if it and the TV has it. If it is a fault limited to HDMI then you will get uninterrupted viewing but will lose HD.

Final step - check how long the warranty is
                                                  sigpic
                                                  www.d4events.com

Comment

Nightshiftin'.

President Bush?

Connections to a company that supports the Affordable Care Act could prove to be a political liability for Bush, should he run for president

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Going further down the rabbit hole - have bought another Jeffrey Archer. For shame...
                                                          He rattled through his work schedule on The Saturday Night Show, very organised, ordered, militaryesque approach. Can't find the clip so this will have to do, it was better hearing him give the spiel.

Q. Is it true that you often don't know how a book will end?

A. I usually know the first four or five chapters in detail, and the next 10 in outline, which will take me to the middle of the book. Then it's time to pray. As I write, I'm wondering what will happen on the next page. My theory is: If I wonder what will happen on the next page, there's a good chance you'll wonder what's going to happen on the next page, as well. If you know exactly what's going to happen two chapters down the line, you'll give it away. If you don't know, you can't give it away.

Q. Do you write with a specific reader in mind or do you write for yourself?

A. I write what I feel at ease with, and then hope that it works for the reader—it might be a saga, or a thriller, or short stories.

Q. Do you prefer writing novels or short stories?

A. I enjoy them both but for different reasons. As I mentioned, with a novel, you haven't got a clue where you're going—you look up there and you pray. With a short story, you have to know the end. It's only 3-5,000 words, not much in between. You begin and you know what the last line is going to be.

Q. What is your writing day like?

A. I am very disciplined and usually go abroad to write to eliminate any distractions. I work in two hour blocks - and I have a huge hourglass, which was a present from Mary, on my desk to ensure that I work for the full 120 minutes of each session. I write from 6.00am to 8.00am, then break for two hours for breakfast and to read the morning newspapers, or catch up on the cricket scores around the world; then from 10.00am until 12.00pm, when I break to go to the gym or for a long walk before a light lunch. Back to work at 2.00pm until 4.00pm, after which I might relax by watching an old episode of my favourite TV show, The West Wing, and then my final session is from 6.00pm till 8.00pm. For the next book, during my breaks I'm planning to catch up with the new series of House of Cards and Borgen. I find that my morning sessions are usually the most productive.

Q. How long does it take you to write a book?

A. I normally spend a year doing research, followed by a year of writing. I follow that schedule above, and it normally takes me about six weeks to produce a first draft. I then take a four-week break and get away from it. I come back and do another draft. That takes another four weeks, and I hand writ the whole thing out again. A Prisoner of Birth took 17 drafts – and took just over 1,000 hours.

Q. Is it true that you still write your books by hand?

A. Yes! I can't type- I can just about switch a light on. My ability with anything mechanical is almost zero. I handwrite every single word.

Comment

Backs up my belief that there is no such thing as true altruism. Imo, every single act no matter how selfless it appears, ultimately is done for the benefit of the self*, whether that's conscious or not.

Would you agree?

*or the self's genes.
                                                            I dunno.. I tried to give them to 2 indian guys in the queue and they said no as they didn't trust me so I gave them to the next people who showed up and I feel no benefit from it at all.

Got a convincing 2nd in the quiz in the end(4 points loss). Was with a new team and only knew 3/70 questions that they didn't know which sucked as 1st was €250 and 2nd was €30! . Some bullshit questions though to be fair lol
                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Happy birthday CHD.
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Guy coming up shortly to view the BMW, fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                  I dunno.. I tried to give them to 2 indian guys in the queue and they said no as they didn't trust me so I gave them to the next people who showed up and I feel no benefit from it at all.
                                                                  What was your motivation for giving the tickets away?

List all you can think of.

Comment

Black Man's Willy ?

Comment

No joy.

He didn't take it because there's only one key, which is a pain in the hole because on adverts now my price has dropped and I have to try explain why this guy didn't want it.

Comment

No joy.

He didn't take it because there's only one key, which is a pain in the hole because on adverts now my price has dropped and I have to try explain why this guy didn't want it.
                                                                        You lol in his face at this? Such a stupid excuse for not buying, obviously a tyre kicker.

Comment

Originally posted by BabyHawk View Post
                                                                          You lol in his face at this? Such a stupid excuse for not buying, obviously a tyre kicker.
                                                                          That's what I thought, I suppose I'm glad that's all he found issue with.

Comment

Good pic I saw on Twitter of the old Rice's & Sinnotts pub (now the Stephens Green Shopping Centre)

Comment

datsun sunny ?
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                datsun sunny ?
                                                                                Looks overcast to me.
                                                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

No joy.

You don't really at all. Justs write 'still available', or something to that effect.

Comment

You don't really at all. Justs write 'still available', or something to that effect.
                                                                                    The problem is though, he made the offer subject to inspection, don't want people assuming he found something wrong with it.

Comment

The problem is though, he made the offer subject to inspection, don't want people assuming he found something wrong with it.
                                                                                      Just stick up a. New ad?

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                        Just stick up a. New ad?
                                                                                        I could do I suppose, I'll give it a while and see first.

Comment

Think I might drink all the cider tonight.
                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

...

Comment

Is there any where in town I can pick up a Toslink cable for something close to the Amazon price rather than the maplin (€65) price?

Edit: Argos looks like the job. http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1086872/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav %7C14419512/Trail/searchtext>CABLE.htm
                                                                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 31-12-14, 17:03.

Comment

Have a good one everyone. 2015 will be a great year.
                                                                                                Did you get my pm last night?

Comment

Hope everyone survives 2015. One last photo to round off 2014 saw this guy at the top of Grafton St today.

Nonchalant Street Performer by StephenDevine, on Flickr
                                                                                                  The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

I had my car up on done deal but also on a local buy and sell Facebook group. Didn't get a call from the advert but the car sold in less than two days through Facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      I had my car up on done deal but also on a local buy and sell Facebook group. Didn't get a call from the advert but the car sold in less than two days through Facebook.
                                                                                                      Interesting, would I find a similar group here do you think or was it more of a local thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                                                        Hope everyone survives 2015. One last photo to round off 2014 saw this guy at the top of Grafton St today.

Nonchalant Street Performer by StephenDevine, on Flickr
                                                                                                        He doing a Quang Duc?

Great pic.

Comment

He doing a Quang Duc?

Great pic.
                                                                                                          Hahaha not quite. Definitely one of the better street performers though.
                                                                                                          The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Anyone else with Google play music or Spotify struggle with choosing something new to listen to? It's like the abundance of choice causes a mental block.

Randomly thought of Paul Simons Graceland yesterday and listened to that but I couldn't think what to fill the ears with today.

Then I found this. Cool, that's me sorted for the next year. I've only gotten to 499 so far, had to give BB live in Cook County Jail a spin.

Comment

Happy new year all

48

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                Interesting, would I find a similar group here do you think or was it more of a local thing?
                                                                                                                I recently bought a car off one of those facebook groups. Killarney Buy Sell and Swap. The lad I bought it off is a young fella trying to start his way into a "wheeler dealer" kinda thing and was selling for his Aunt. He said he had the car on DD for about 6 weeks before putting it on facebook. I took it the day after he put it up. Savage little car. How it didn't sell on DD is crazy tbh.

I don't know where you're from Lazare, Dublin?, but there should be a local one to you. Aul wans at home all day seem to set them up and call themselves ADMIN, gives them something to do I suppose.

Comment

Cool, I shall investigate it so. Cheers.

Comment

There should be. Just stick the area followed by buy and sell and it should come up.

Comment

I've never sold a car or the like but people make offers thast fall through all the time, some fail to respond at all after making an offer.

I wouldn't start a new ad on adverts anyway, I'd say it's likely a small group that view the car section, a new ad coild look dodge when there is nothing is.
                                                                                                                      How much to get a spare key anyhow?

Comment

Can be crazy money. Two people I heard of recently forked out €270 and €350 iirc. Neither were BMW.

Comment

I've never sold a car or the like but people make offers thast fall through all the time, some fail to respond at all after making an offer.

I wouldn't start a new ad on adverts anyway, I'd say it's likely a small group that view the car section, a new ad coild look dodge when there is nothing is.
                                                                                                                          Cheers my man.

Bout 200 for a spare key I'd say.

edit, as Collie says above, as this is a premium brand, ultimate driving machine, get ya from A to B and on to Zee, in pure luxury, maybe €500. /endshill
                                                                                                                          Last edited by Lazare; 31-12-14, 20:29.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X