X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parker

Comment

Parker, Ince, Scholes. Guessing the last one is from Blackburn ?
      Profit before people.

Comment

Fucking Ulster bank have left me high and dry without a debit card despite me telling them on the 20th that I hadn't received my new one and trying to sort it out twice on the phone since, they tell me today that yes they did cancel the one I never received but that no one actually ordered a new one for me and it will take another 5 - 7 working days to get one to me.

FFS!
        Where is Hitch when you need him
        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Warhurst or something like that for the Blackburn player

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
            Parker, Ince, Scholes. Guessing the last one is from Blackburn ?
            Originally posted by Loopz View Post
            Warhurst or something like that for the Blackburn player

Comment

Merson

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Finkel View Post
                Merson

Comment

Merson
                  Did he leave before 98? Must have I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                    FFS!
                    [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Did he leave before 98? Must have I suppose
                      Has 2 Division 1 medals according to Wikipedia no Premierships.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                        Watched Judgment at Nuremberg again last night. Hard to see a film like that being made these days.

Also got me thinking: what movies have had a comparable contingent of all-time great actors playing to their peak? Nominations please.
                        I think gettting a top ensemble together is never a problem for certain directors - the best actors will always be willing to do a hard shoot for low wages if they see it as potential art, not to mention potential awards. I'm not sure who those directors would be nowadays though (maybe Scorsese, Coens). Studio knows it'll probably be breakeven at best so the actors involved just have to do a superhero flick the same year to appeal to the DeadParrot market and make up the money.

Not sure what the big subject matter could be though, WW2 continues to be the biggest event in living memory and probably doesn't have many angles left. Maybe theres a good story to be told about the final 5 years of the Cold War from a Moscow/Kremlin viewpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                          [IMG][/IMG]
                          Probably more like this for those who read Viz.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            Not sure what the big subject matter could be though, WW2 continues to be the biggest event in living memory and probably doesn't have many angles left.
                            Well there's that dog that had 6 puppies, each a different colour. You could have a top Hollywood star for each of the 6 puppies. Non-animation now, just a stuck on tail and a nose. Would still be better than Ocean's Twelve.

Comment

Fucking Ulster bank have left me high and dry without a debit card despite me telling them on the 20th that I hadn't received my new one and trying to sort it out twice on the phone since, they tell me today that yes they did cancel the one I never received but that no one actually ordered a new one for me and it will take another 5 - 7 working days to get one to me.

FFS!
                              I got a text today from them that says you can now use your app to get the cash from an AM without your debit card.

Comment

Local beach was damaged in a storm here a couple of days ago, sand washed away etc due to heavy rain. Christmas day on the beach is a big thing here so here's hoping the authorities can repair it in time. First world problems.
                                A colleague of mine in the Philippines said he will probably be out of the loop for a few days because Typhoon Hagupit is about to hit the Islands.
                                Just looked at what's expected when it hits and fuck me, I wouldn't like to be out there right now.

The Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA) earlier declared Hagupit a "violent" typhoon, the highest classification on its scale, with 10-minute sustained winds of 130 mph and gusts to 190 mph. That ties Vongfong for the highest wind speeds of 2014 in JMA's bulletins. Hagupit has since been downgraded to a "very strong" typhoon on JMA's scale with winds of 115 mph and gusts to 160 mph as of 4 a.m. EST Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                  I got a text today from them that says you can now use your app to get the cash from an AM without your debit card.
                                  LOL
                                  I got that too and I thought for a minute that there was someone in there who actually gave a fuck and sent it to me to help me out.

FFS!!!

Anyway it does help a bit.

Comment

I think gettting a top ensemble together is never a problem for certain directors - the best actors will always be willing to do a hard shoot for low wages if they see it as potential art, not to mention potential awards. I'm not sure who those directors would be nowadays though (maybe Scorsese, Coens). Studio knows it'll probably be breakeven at best so the actors involved just have to do a superhero flick the same year to appeal to the DeadParrot market and make up the money.

Not sure what the big subject matter could be though, WW2 continues to be the biggest event in living memory and probably doesn't have many angles left. Maybe theres a good story to be told about the final 5 years of the Cold War from a Moscow/Kremlin viewpoint.
                                    Surely there's plenty of mining of WW1 to be done, can't think of too many in comparison to the many WW2 flicks that would be regarded as classics. Think they are having another crack at a gallipoli movie at the moment
                                    Last edited by Guest; 05-12-14, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                      Speaking of drugs in sport
                                      Is it not a generally accepted fact that your average GAA player is off his head on goofballs too?
                                      My minor team did an awful lot of doping anyway.

Comment

LOL
                                        I got that too and I thought for a minute that there was someone in there who actually gave a fuck and sent it to me to help me out.

FFS!!!

Anyway it does help a bit.
                                        It's really quite good, I had it with RBS last year. Really straightforward, open app, get digits, put them into machine, get cash.

Comment

Really enjoying the butthurt naivete of some Irish rugby fans at any suggestion Irish players might use PED. Not much of it on display here in fairness.
                                          Mind you Paul kimmage does seem to have some kind of complex, wouldn't surprise me if he ran a santa isn't real expose in the funday times

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                            It's really quite good, I had it with RBS last year. Really straightforward, open app, get digits, put them into machine, get cash.
                                            We have been live with it in some African banks for about 5 years

There you don't even need to go to an ATM you can just go to a corner shop and pick up the cash!

Comment

Originally posted by Rufio View Post

Can anyone tell me what the story is with Soccer players seemingly giving the two fingers in photos?
                                              Hippidy hop music

Comment

RIP Jackie Healy-Rae. Did anyone ever look more like a man from the arse end of Kerry?
                                                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

FFS Spoiler that LLOYD

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                    Nothing to make you feel like a peasant like overhearing the guy across you discussing the issues he has with his plane
                                                    New money buys, old money rents

Next time; you wanna mention how little trouble you have whenever you pick up one for a couple of weeks

Gold 50 years ago

Most Recent Gold
                                                    Interesting fact; both recently had scans on their ankles and were found to have the same levels of arthritic damage

Comment

There's bound to be some rugby players using PEDs but I think what Kimmage is saying is that they all are even though he has no evidence of it at all. His best arguments are coming from

1. Saying a couple of players in Argentina 2007 had some tenuous links to a dodgy doctor and they did quite well in the tournament - lol at O'Gara tweeting he wondered if something dodgy had been going on - eh no ROG we were terrible (nearly lost to Georgia for ffs and also ROG was the worst of them all!).

2. A couple of amateurs / underage lads who have clearly been doing this on their own - the most high profile positive test he seems to have found is the son of a former Scotland player.

3. This one makes me lol the most a few lads on the Kenya team.

4. The English team gave one of their French security lads some super powered protein at France 07 and he put on a load of muscle. I wonder does he know creatine isn't (or at least at that time) available in France.

My biggest problem is why is he picking on rugby? Why not GAA, soccer, UFC etc?

One could easily say - he put 3 years of work in BOD's book which was going to be a big money spinner - fell out with him lost half his pay - by his own words in Jan of this year he was broke - his big life work on the cycling is dead in a news sense - needs a new hook to make himself relevant - rugby is Ireland's most successful international sport (mainstream) at the moment - has feelings of ill will towards rugby circles due to BOD issue - sure might as well have a go at them and hopefully grind himself out a living for a couple of years while he is at it.

That's not to say he's wrong (no-one knows for sure) but I don't like living in a place where someone can start spouting all this stuff with a gut feeling without any proof whatsoever and is doing down the efforts of these great pros and guys you would like to see kids aspiring to be like not just for their sporting prowess but their behaviour and attitude on and off the field.
                                                      Last edited by jack90210; 05-12-14, 15:12.

Comment

Devil's advocate, perhaps Kimmage learned things from BOD that he wasn't too happy with...

Kimmage wanted to make a deal of it, BOD said no, relationship over.

Comment

I had a lot of time for Paul Kimmage in the early days. I read Rough Ride and found it an excellent read. The last few years he's been broken and become twisted and desperate and its sad to see. A good guy fucked over for years and has now become a caricature of his crusading best IMO.

You see this sort of thing happen in lots of different fields but in journalism it has a cruel and awkwardly exposed sort of medium to play out in.
                                                          ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Devil's advocate, perhaps Kimmage learned things from BOD that he wasn't too happy with...

Kimmage wanted to make a deal of it, BOD said no, relationship over.
                                                            Lol. Kimmage threw the toys out of the pram because BOD didn't give him an exclusive interview. Farcical, childish and financially stupid - if he had anything at all he'd have vented his spleen then.
                                                            ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

It's a bit much that some rugby fans have seemingly decided that Paul Kimmage is bitter, twisted, settling scores and unreliable the week he says rugby players are all on the juice.

Comment

For the financial wizards, with verified by Visa do you have to have individual passwords for each of your bank cards or does one cover the lot?
                                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                  It's a bit much that some rugby fans have seemingly decided that Paul Kimmage is bitter, twisted, settling scores and unreliable the week he says rugby players are all on the juice.
                                                                  haha, dangerous comment when the rugby bandwagon is in town

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                    RIP Jackie Healy-Rae. Did anyone ever look more like a man from the arse end of Kerry?
                                                                    What a man. Did a lot to help my family and my girlfriends family. Sad day in the kingdom today.

Comment

If that's directed towards me I've held my view on Kimmage since mid last year when he had a near meltdown interview on off the ball following the moral victory he had against the world cycling federation but he was still left financially fucked from. I may not have posted it on IPB but I would have certainly spoken about it to plenty of people. I think a lot of people hold the same view and their views or concerns about rugby would be irrelevant.

As for drugs in sports including rugby. Ldo. It saddens me and steals away the romance of all the sports i enjoy but I'm a realist about it. I'm a big fan of people building businesses and being entrepreneurs too but I'm realistic enough to know very few did it without taking a shortcut or acting in a dishonest fashion.

That's life but I try not to let it impact my personal scorecard.

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                                                        haha, dangerous comment when the rugby bandwagon is in town
                                                                        It's the exact same shit people who loved cycling said about him when he was doing it about cycling. This is unlikely to be a coincidence.

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                          For the financial wizards, with verified by Visa do you have to have individual passwords for each of your bank cards or does one cover the lot?
                                                                          They all seem to be individual.

Verified by Visa drives me nuts. It hasnt been working properly on some sites in Chrome of late and you have no idea it's used until it gets to the point and the transaction just fails.
                                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
                                                                            If that's directed towards me I've held my view on Kimmage since mid last year when he had a near meltdown interview on off the ball following the moral victory he had against the world cycling federation but he was still left financially fucked from. I may not have posted it on IPB but I would have certainly spoken about it to plenty of people. I think a lot of people hold the same view and their views or concerns about rugby would be irrelevant.

As for drugs in sports including rugby. Ldo. It saddens me and steals away the romance of all the sports i enjoy but I'm a realist about it. I'm a big fan of people building businesses and being entrepreneurs too but I'm realistic enough to know very few did it without taking a shortcut or acting in a dishonest fashion.

That's life but I try not to let it impact my personal scorecard.
                                                                            I think there's a pretty clear "poison the well" job going on from rugby fans about Kimmage now that's depressingly predictable.

The fact that he's obviously correct makes it stick in my craw a small bit when people start their amateur psychology of his mental fragility and motivations just because the sport he's turned his attention toward happens to be one they like.

It's pretty understandable, and it isn't a big deal or anything, but I find it a bit distasteful really I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                              They all seem to be individual.

Verified by Visa drives me nuts. It hasnt been working properly on some sites in Chrome of late and you have no idea it's used until it gets to the point and the transaction just fails.
                                                                              The good news is it's being retired in favour of a two-factor authentication system (phone or email)
                                                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I think there's a pretty clear "poison the well" job going on from rugby fans about Kimmage now that's depressingly predictable.

The fact that he's obviously correct makes it stick in my craw a small bit when people start their amateur psychology of his mental fragility and motivations just because the sport he's turned his attention toward happens to be one they like.

It's pretty understandable, and it isn't a big deal or anything, but I find it a bit distasteful really I suppose.
                                                                                I disagree. He wants this reaction and would have been hoping for it in order to give himself marketability. Personally if I was involved in pro rugby I'd have ignored him entirely as that would be the only reaction that would have hurt him. It's not depressing or distasteful it's boring and predictable and the same hype machine that fills 95% of what passes for news in all media.

Comment

The good news is it's being retired in favour of a two-factor authentication system (phone or email)
                                                                                  Like when "3d Secure" was retired? OR actually something functional this time?
                                                                                  May you live in interesting times!

Comment

This and it would be fans from another sport if he went after the sport they love.

Whatever sport you enjoy just accept they're using illegal PED's and enjoy it, it doesn't take away from the fact they're the top athletes in their sport. The sports I enjoy and watch the most, Football/MMA/NFL are probably some of the 'dirtiest' doesn't stop me from enjoying them.

Comment

I disagree. He wants this reaction and would have been hoping for it in order to give himself marketability. Personally if I was involved in pro rugby I'd have ignored him entirely as that would be the only reaction that would have hurt him. It's not depressing or distasteful it's boring and predictable and the same hype machine that fills 95% of what passes for news in all media.
                                                                                      You do accept that PEDs are rife in rugby though right?
                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Details on when this will be implemented?
                                                                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

nvm

Comment

The conviction based on the evidence and the prosecution timeline we've been shown to date was lol.

That being said, I think it's still doing a good job of posing the "did he do it" question.

This latest episode was the weakest to date, very little time spent on the only two things we hadn't heard before (Jay's attorney & Adnan's plea bargains), all the rest was stuff about the lawyer we already knew to a large extent, wrapped up by Koenig saying she didn't think the lawyer was too bad anyway.
                                                                                            Does it do a good job though? Her position could be summed up as:

- he's convincing to talk too;
                                                                                            - I don't agree with the purported motive;
                                                                                            - I don't agree with the purported timeline;
                                                                                            - I don't find Jay fully reliable;
                                                                                            - I think the defense made a crucial error;
                                                                                            - BUT there are tidbits of circumstantial evidence that look bad and he was convicted you know and maybe he's a socio / psycho path and I'm being duped;

Nonetheless I've still found it fascinating but purely from a 'lol US justice system' point of view.
                                                                                            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

'Yeah, sport X obv has endemic doping but my sport is mostly about incredible advances in nutrition and training and maybe the odd individual player is a scumbag'.

Lol people, as always.
                                                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                FFS Spoiler that LLOYD

There's nothing to spoiler. It's an interpretation of the information. The whole thing is laid out in summary in episode one and the rest build on it. Reading my opinion couldn't possibly spoil it.

Comment

Details on when this will be implemented?
                                                                                                  "Slowly"

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                                                                    What a man. Did a lot to help my family and my girlfriends family. Sad day in the kingdom today.
                                                                                                    With any luck his legacy will be along the lines that never again will one man be permitted to hold the finances of a whole country to ransom in the service of very narrow parochial ends.

closely followed by never again will his local opponent, who happens to be from the party borrowing the dosh to buy his vote, be furnished with further unjustifiable millions so that he too can be reflected.

Sad day for his family, I m genuinely sorry on a personal level. But on a political level I hope we never see his likes again.

Comment

Not been a great week in our household. Started off with me asking the mechanic to check something on the car to find out the ball joint was hanging out. Then the little one dropped and smashed a tablet screen but the other night after fighting with the Christmas Tree I lost the diamond out of my engagement ring

Thankfully there was cover with the house insurance and it will only cost €75 excess. Had to report the diamond lost at the Garda station first and have a report for how much to fix and the valuation.

Fucking Tree

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                        You do accept that PEDs are rife in rugby though right?
                                                                                                        I don't even know what the right drugs are anymore but I'm sure rugby, and all major physical sports are rife with the good stuff, including bizarrely amateur sports as people want to win things so badly. Like cheating at online scrabble. Just bizarre. But yes rugby, soccer, nfl, cycling, golf, GAA, athletics, hockey and whatever else you care to name are all riddled with performance enhancing drugs. Now where do I sign up to get invited to every media outlet to repeat that??

Comment

I don't even know what the right drugs are anymore but I'm sure rugby, and all major physical sports are rife with the good stuff, including bizarrely amateur sports as people want to win things so badly. Like cheating at online scrabble. Just bizarre. But yes rugby, soccer, nfl, cycling, golf, GAA, athletics, hockey and whatever else you care to name are all riddled with performance enhancing drugs. Now where do I sign up to get invited to every media outlet to repeat that??
                                                                                                          Hence the big question - why is he picking on rugby? He is thinking of his wallet/some bitterness over BOD book.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                            Hence the big question - why is he picking on rugby? He is thinking of his wallet/some bitterness over BOD book.
                                                                                                            Ah he talks about drugs in lots of sports to be fair. Rugbys turn this week. Neil Francis was speaking about it years ago but you didn't have players taking the bait on Twitter etc.

The BOD thing was tragicomedy in my view. A grown man ringing BOD to complain about an exclusive interview that he was giving to the Irish Times and begging for him to be given the interview instead. Then compounding the issue by pissing away 2.5 years of work in a fit of pique.

I personally think Kimmage deserves to have a few bob in his arse pocket for all the good work he did with cycling and drug cheating in general. The fact he was struggling to get a job spoke volumes about the nature of the media but also that he'd cracked a bit over the years with all the pressure I think. I mean surely there had to be a few places that thought it was worth hiring him but there seemed to be a view that as a journo he had become very much one topic.

Comment

What's marvels excuse?
                                                                                                              Iron Man - Jeff Bridges
                                                                                                              The Incredible Hulk - William Hurt
                                                                                                              Iron Man 2 - Mickey Rourke
                                                                                                              Thor - Anthony Hopkins
                                                                                                              Captain America - Tommy Lee Jones
                                                                                                              The Avengers - Samuel L. Jackson
                                                                                                              Iron Man 3 - Ben Kingsley
                                                                                                              Captain America: The Winter Soldier - Robert Redford
                                                                                                              Guardians of the Galaxy - Glenn Close
                                                                                                              and next we have Ant-Man with Michael Douglas
                                                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                                Do you genuinely consider that "the big question" in all this?

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                                                                  Surely there's plenty of mining of WW1 to be done, can't think of too many in comparison to the many WW2 flicks that would be regarded as classics. Think they are having another crack at a gallipoli movie at the moment
                                                                                                                  WW1 is a good shout. Hard for the average joe to identify with it due to time and tech.
                                                                                                                  Dank gritty trenches, gas attacks, xmas ceasefire are the only things that could spark the imagination of the masses.
                                                                                                                  However, US involvement in South America in the 80's is my pick for next big genre, however I know I'm likely wrong because the US cannot be the baddies. It won't appeal to 'Muricans. It could do well playing on post-snowden paranoia.
                                                                                                                  Maybe something with soviet sleepers like 'The Americans' only big budget, where the spies start to sympathize and defect.

The trend for superhero movies is reaching saturation point and whoever identifies the next big trend (not a reboot or remake) could do very well.
                                                                                                                  There was a swords and sandals revival, western revival & bio ops are always popular.
                                                                                                                  I'm hesitant to think there is market in more big war movies. The current crop of action movies do it on a grander and bigger scale than a reality based ww1 or 2 movie could manage
                                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                                                    Nonetheless I've still found it fascinating but purely from a 'lol US justice system' point of view.
                                                                                                                    I'm not trying to be snobby here but as you can imagine most of the people I know who listen to this are lawyers. Mind if I ask your reasons for thinking "Lol US justice system"?

I've been horrified by some of the stuff that has been reported about the trial (see spoiler below) but I keep wondering is my opinion a narrow one given I am coming at it as a lawyer or is it just generally a jaw-droppingly scary indictment of their criminal justice system?

SPOILER
                                                                                                                    The idea that the prosecution would supply the lawyer for a key witness who has a HUGE incentive to lie anyway is absolutely insane. I had a weird meta moment when I realised my jaw actually was open when Koenig said on the podcast "any of you who are lawyers probably have your jaws open right now"

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                      However, US involvement in South America in the 80's is my pick for next big genre, however I know I'm likely wrong because the US cannot be the baddies.
                                                                                                                      Best war films ever made were post-Vietnam. It was more about the individual grunt and the horrors of a war where "the brass" seemed to be totally disconnected from the realities of it all (harking back to WW1 I suppose)

Here's a fun character who was traumatised in Granada:

An instructor (Seth MacFarlane) tries to keep the class on track, but war vet Anthony Peter Coleman (Bill Hader) has a hard time shedding his PTSD while perf...

Comment

He fixed the road.
                                                                                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Individual, I'm not sure why you need an account at all if it's just the one card, just use the card number as an account. My boss rang them up yesterday giving out about it, it was a delight hearing him explain the stupidity of the system.

People want to be the best, doesnt matter what it is, they can convince themselves they are the best even if they cheat, people just want to feel validated. I play at the upper levels of a game, 40%~ of the people I play with cheat. People earning hundreds of thousands at these games cheat, people at the lowest levels cheat. They just yearn to be seen as better than what they are. People will always see the thing they do as the "better" thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X