This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
    I think those strat days are dead. I suppose what initially grew the forum was a lot of people trying to figure out the game together at a fairly simple level. The game has been solved way passed that point, no one, even someone starting out, is going to spend much time discussing those topics (imagine how many posts a folding AA preflop thread would get these days), and anything beyond that is too valuable to be giving out for free. Twitter has probably taken over the social part to a large extent. I think the only time that people who still play post here is to sell %s (does no one play cash anymore?)

I'm not sure the forum would even change that much if it went back to the golden days where anyone sensible could make solid 4/5 figure months clicking buttons against idiots. I don't think it's just us, I think 2p2 has gone the same way.
    I agree. I think in order to grow the forum again we'd need to engage with the changed game in a totally different manner. How that would be done I don't know exactly - probably sponsored sub forums / affiliate deals / more presence at tournaments / etc. Or look to steal traffic from elsewhere on general topics.
    I don't know that any of us are up for that. Nothing lasts forever. Boards is still going strong, but it's a demonstrably different animal to what it was five years ago. We haven't changed much and we'll eventually die because of it. I'm alright with that personally. If people aren't let us know I suppose. We're not closed to ideas.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
      They were probably the most widely tipped team by the masses I seen to be relegated this season, or at least the perceived value to be relegated. Mainstream press and fans alike were reporting their summer sales in crises mode while being generally ignorant of the talent they were signing and quality of youth players in their ranks. Your assertion that everyone thought they'd be good is miles of the mark.
      I was talking about football statisticians. These are mostly a small but tightly-nit circle of bloggers with pirated copies of SPSS and too much time on their hands. None of them work for mainstream press... yet.

e.g. This guy seems to have gone quiet recently but is one of the better ones: http://jameswgrayson.wordpress.com/
      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Ultimate FPL is where the future is at. Needs a few tweaks but it has a lot of potential compared to the main game

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
          The admins are kind of an issue (and I don't mean this in a bad way). You have 3 people who don't play the game and whose attitude to it veers from at best ambivalance to hatred. And a 4th who works in the industry but plays little. Its not the sort of set up likely to make the board grow bigger.
          Like I doubt there are too many successful Lord of the Rings forums being ran by people who hate Tolkiens longwinded prose and gave up in chapter 3 when Tom Bombadil started singing.

Obviously the state of poker itself is the big issue as its been stagnant for 5+ years. However if it does become big again during Celtic Tiger 2 and attract lots of new players/students etc will the IPB admins put the effort in to get this place to grow in synch. Probably not due to their lethargy and laziness (which are two traits I approve of).
          It's something I've been thinking about the last while and Denny alludes to it that 2+2 has also gone that way a bit, stagnant. Seeing the likes of the guys from The Firm when giving interviews that basically they can hit up the top 5 players in Ireland on Skype and ask for advice or hand analysis is just so much more convenient and immediate than posting it here (or elsewhere) plus you aren't giving every randomer the keys to figuring out the game. In turn the strategy forum takes a dive.

2+2 for example is just one of the defacto places to go for information as it's pretty much centre of the poker universe for information, with IPB we have our own little piece of the pie but pretty specific to where we are & who we are.

Fair point about us AJ but it's not just about us it's also down to the sites posters also, over 5,000 members and I'd hazard at roughly 300-400 active users on a given day & four times as many lurkers but yet there isn't many threads created or ones that are don't seem to get a lot of attention/responses, no threads about all the new Pokerstars changes from anybody can't be just down to us to have to deliver content. Try to do some stuff on Facebook/Twitter but I'm not some social media wiz but do what I can.

Scope of the site has changed from when it initially came about, not really all about strategy or breaking news but more an informative site about upcoming games etc decent enough platform for people wanting to sell %'s which is nice to see & way for those who once loved the game to still interact with each through the BBV which is obviously the sites biggest hits.

Be nice to get some sponsored forums like 2+2 and maybe throw a little something into bring the site a little more alive, like to see the old threads when the likes of Flushdraw organised the online games.
          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
            Ultimate FPL is where the future is at. Needs a few tweaks but it has a lot of potential compared to the main game
            Cliffs on the difference

Comment

Has there been any analytics done on site traffic? Maybe that would help in giving it some direction.

I seem to only gravitate towards the BBV. But I really enjoy when there is some live reporting done. Photos of members playing tournaments is great. Live updates etc are good also.

The poker has died a death unfortunately. Maybe we all think we do'nt need to learn any more. Or as previously stated poker has been beaten and there is an optimum way to play now.

I don't know - I wouldn't like to see it die as it's a good place to get in touch with the Irish poker scene. Does IPB need to concentrate on irish poker more? Does it need to close the BBV down (when was the last time we saw a bad beat HH in the thread ? ) to do this? If it dod close it down where would the 10 posters post? I don't know

Comment

NFL Fantasy format pisses all over the soccer. Smaller leagues no two team with same players.
                airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                  I agree. I think in order to grow the forum again we'd need to engage with the changed game in a totally different manner. How that would be done I don't know exactly - probably sponsored sub forums / affiliate deals / more presence at tournaments / etc. Or look to steal traffic from elsewhere on general topics.
                  I don't know that any of us are up for that. Nothing lasts forever. Boards is still going strong, but it's a demonstrably different animal to what it was five years ago. We haven't changed much and we'll eventually die because of it. I'm alright with that personally. If people aren't let us know I suppose. We're not closed to ideas.
                  The BBV is awesome to come and read some smart opinions on a lot of things. Its also a pretty useful tool for getting advice from rational and reasonable people of all ages and backgrounds. I would personally miss it a lot if it were to die.

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                  If a Fantasy Premier League format like the NFL format was available I'd play it in a heartbeat.
                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Finkel View Post
                    Cliffs on the difference
                    Squad of 25. Ability to make manager sub's and capt changes mid game week. No free transfer apart from during set windows. No price rises. Slightly different way of scoring. ÂŁ25k prize for first place. Most importantly I am flying high in the rankings

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post

They've also spotted that Arsenal have been greatly underperforming defense-wise - conceding a lot of goals due to apparent bad luck rather than any measurable attribute. Dwane Chambers is still only 5m and is one of the highest scoring defenders in the league.
                      One of the fastest players in the Premier League

Comment

The Walking Dead mid season finale.

SPOILER
                        it was fucking awful.

Comment

I've been hiring some stuff from a bloke/company for 12 months and recently I asked for a receipt for my books, I've asked for one before but didn't follow it up because I didn't really need it yet.

Now he tells me I'm not getting on cause he had it off his books. This is not acceptable to me. Can I bring harm on this person or am I goosed

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post

SPOILER
                            it was fucking awful.
                            Down with this mid season finale bollox!! Did Breaking Bad invent this? I'm glad I don't get strung along by TWD amymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                              Judgement at Nuremberg obv.
                              Never seen this

Did a bit of googling and got pointed towards 'Shoah'. Over 9 hrs of testimony! Wont be a pleasant view but defo have to take a peek at it

Comment

First test launch of the capsule that's apparently going to go to Mars is on at midday our time on Thursday, if anyone's interested in dat sorta ting. First crewed flight 7 years away!

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                  Is there a standerised rule set for pool here? I only ever play occasionally, but my more slightly more serious friend seems aghast at the my suggestion of not carrying shots.
                                  These are the most common alright but you still run into random rules in certain places
                                  Even the Mosconi is inconsistent.
                                  They had an interesting break rule the the last few years to force players to power break but seem to have abandoned it this year.

Not a big fan of this venue, preferred the more claustraphobic ones were the fans were almost beside the table. Poor fuckers in the front row seem to be watching most of it on the big screen.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                    Down with this mid season finale bollox!! Did Breaking Bad invent this? I'm glad I don't get strung along by TWD amymore.
                                    yeah what a pile of wank.

Comment

lol oops. They all look the same, innit.
                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I've been hiring some stuff from a bloke/company for 12 months and recently I asked for a receipt for my books, I've asked for one before but didn't follow it up because I didn't really need it yet.

Now he tells me I'm not getting on cause he had it off his books. This is not acceptable to me. Can I bring harm on this person or am I goosed
                                        I understand you have easy access to snooker cues, did you watch the season 5 finale of Love/Hate?

Comment

Even the Mosconi is inconsistent.
                                          They had an interesting break rule the the last few years to force players to power break but seem to have abandoned it this year.

Not a big fan of this venue, preferred the more claustraphobic ones were the fans were almost beside the table. Poor fuckers in the front row seem to be watching most of it on the big screen.
                                          ...Fuck, he blew a chance to get it to 4-4...I'm surprised how badly USA have fared in recent years, I used to really enjoy the build up and watching it...But I miss Steve Davis and Strickland...Agree about the atmosphere, not half as good as it used to be...
                                          ...On the bigger Tables, drug test for Ricky Walden, he is ripping Ken apart...

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                            I understand you have easy access to snooker cues, did you watch the season 5 finale of Love/Hate?
                                            I'd like to bring a more official kind of pain, surely he can't just leave them off the books

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                              And yeah, Spurs. Harry Kane is ÂŁ4.9m right now and is likely to start a lot more games over the Busy Christmas Period. He will get goals if he gets games. Chadli and Eriksen are both smashing it, too.
                                              Just a note on Kane. Against Everton yesterday he took it to a whole new level all together, one I didn't think he could take it too. It was, dare I say it, Bale-esque. He was picking it up deep and charging towards goal with pace, power, and confidence. He has now become the leader of the team of sorts, leading the way with passion and drive. The fans absolutely love him, as he is one of them (as they sing). He should be first choice striker in the league from here on.

Whether that means he should be picked ahead of an Auston, Berahino, or Sakho I'm unsure, but the 2nd half of the season should be a good one for him imo.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                Just a note on Kane. Against Everton yesterday he took it to a whole new level all together, one I didn't think he could take it too. It was, dare I say it, Bale-esque. He was picking it up deep and charging towards goal with pace, power, and confidence. He has now become the leader of the team of sorts, leading the way with passion and drive. The fans absolutely love him, as he is one of them (as they sing). He should be first choice striker in the league from here on.

Whether that means he should be picked ahead of an Auston, Berahino, or Sakho I'm unsure, but the 2nd half of the season should be a good one for him imo.
                                                I think you're getting a little over-excited about Kane. Yes his performances have been great in terms of general play (and Europa goals), however he needs to an extended run of form in the EPL. First choice striker ahead of a profligate Soldado and (wtf ever happened to) Adebayor isn't a massive task at the moment. He's grown a lot from the ungainly lump that was loaned to Norwich and Leicester.

Spurs fans will be happy to see the hunger and application in the win over Everton. Really pressing hard and crisply passing like Pochettino's Saints of last year. There should have been another goal in the last 10 mins on the counter. Nice to see Lennon back as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                  NFL Fantasy format pisses all over the soccer. Smaller leagues no two team with same players.
                                                  Originally posted by Theresa View Post

If a Fantasy Premier League format like the NFL format was available I'd play it in a heartbeat.
                                                  There is and I am playing with ten of my other friends.

The draft was brilliant, two lads from were on, skype from dublin and australia and all 8 were drinking/ in room

In our group there are 3 or 4 who havent much interest which takes away from how excellent it could be, with offers of trades etc and hundreds of players still out there for the picking ( I got kane a few weeks ago )

If there was money involved it would be even better and a forfeit for wooden spoon would spice it up.

Comment

Kayroo, is not the drunk Kayroo

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                      (wtf ever happened to) Adebayor
                                                      Is it not obvious?

Believes he's had a curse put on him by his juju practising mother.
                                                      Other members of his family think he is under the influence of evil Muslim clerics (Adebayor is a Christian).

SPOILER
                                                      Daily Mail yesterday, there was a copy lying around the pub.

Comment

Is it not obvious?

Believes he's had a curse put on him by his juju practising mother.
                                                        Other members of his family think he is under the influence of evil Muslim clerics (Adebayor is a Christian).

SPOILER
                                                        Daily Mail yesterday, there was a copy lying around the pub.
                                                        I genuinely thought you were taking the piss for a moment. That story is just all sorts of bat-shit crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                          I genuinely thought you were taking the piss for a moment. That story is just all sorts of bat-shit crazy.
                                                          The most shocking thing about that story is that Adebayor is on ÂŁ170k a week.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                            The most shocking thing about that story is that Adebayor is on ÂŁ170k a week.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...magic-him.html
                                                            If you're only earning ÂŁ1 a day selling tomatoes, you have to be doing something wrong. Maybe selling fruit just isn't your thing
                                                            Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post

I dont know anything about DFS but some of the US Sites offer "soccer" markets. Maybe they run the similar to the NFL ones.

Try FanDuel, Draft Day, Draft Kings

Comment

Just watched Predestination

Comment

How 5G will change the world.

Anyone who watched the video 'Humans need not apply' may still after viewing it have been quite cynical about its contents. 5G looks to be when we will see the high level automation revolution really take hold. It's when most of technology will be fully implementable especially what probably still feels like way distant future stuff to some like self drive cars but the technology is already built we just need the constituent parts like 5G to catch up.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                                                                    I dont know anything about DFS but some of the US Sites offer "soccer" markets. Maybe they run the similar to the NFL ones.

Try FanDuel, Draft Day, Draft Kings
                                                                    The big ones don't seem to accept non US/Canadian customers, signed up for an Asian facing one, will find name later but low volumes.

Comment

The missus wants to do a cruise thing as part of the honeymoon. We were looking at the usual Caribbean type ones, but I may have talked her into one to Alaska from Vancouver. Anyone any reasons why this would be a bad idea? I think it'd be great.

Comment

SPOILER
                                                                        it was fucking awful.
                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                        You be crazy !

that was far the strongest episode of TWD all season, I would even say the last 3 seasons.
                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Was going to watch that on the way home on the bus today, but some of the reviews left me thinking that i wouldn't have a clue what's going on. I'm presuming that's your gif too?

Opted for Fury which i thought was fucking excellent, and The Babadook which i thought was good, but weird. Watched it on the laptop with earphones in and didn't have any 'jump out of my skin' moments which i was expecting!

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                            The missus wants to do a cruise thing as part of the honeymoon. We were looking at the usual Caribbean type ones, but I may have talked her into one to Alaska from Vancouver. Anyone any reasons why this would be a bad idea? I think it'd be great.
                                                                            Keep an eye on sites like this one where you might save yourself a few quid.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

Opted for Fury which i thought was fucking excellent,
                                                                              Loved it.

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                              :- Best job I ever had.
                                                                              This too shall pass.

Comment

It's been around for awhile before it.

Have it downloaded you reckon give it a miss?

SPOILER
                                                                                You be crazy !

that was far the strongest episode of TWD all season, I would even say the last 3 seasons.
                                                                                The Walking Dead

SPOILER
                                                                                actually preferred the episode before it, shouted "terrible" when the major scene happened, bugs when they do shit like that when they don't have to.

This summation is spot on IMO "losing the church, however, once again illustrated the show’s major weakness: The Walking Dead has only gotten better with the character drama under the guide of showrunner Scott Gimple, but in a way, the series is still walking around the forest in circles, just as it had under Frank Darabont. It’s infinitely more thrilling. It’s exponentially more heartbreaking. But at the same time, the survivors haven’t really made any progress over the last eight episodes."

Comment

Great idea, one of the best places I visited. So many interesting parts. And I love Cruises . stick with Alaska imo

Vancouver is amazing too.

Comment

Comment

make sure it has a double hull, not joking

Comment

Is that not what jobsbridge is for? Surely they can provide you with someone who will take notes of your general musings and slowly spread them on social media.

Thanks for the reminder, I keep meaninng to see if I could get one signed up, test the system.

Originally posted by TheDrunkenOne View Post
                                                                                        Its December so now we can start offering opinions on best Christmas movie.

Mine has to be obvious and a classic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewe4lg8zTYA
                                                                                        Not showing for me, what was it?

Has list in theory is:

Die Hard 1
                                                                                        Jingle All the way

The admins are kind of an issue (and I don't mean this in a bad way). You have 3 people who don't play the game and whose attitude to it veers from at best ambivalance to hatred. And a 4th who works in the industry but plays little. Its not the sort of set up likely to make the board grow bigger.
                                                                                        Like I doubt there are too many successful Lord of the Rings forums being ran by people who hate Tolkiens longwinded prose and gave up in chapter 3 when Tom Bombadil started singing.

Obviously the state of poker itself is the big issue as its been stagnant for 5+ years. However if it does become big again during Celtic Tiger 2 and attract lots of new players/students etc will the IPB admins put the effort in to get this place to grow in synch. Probably not due to their lethargy and laziness (which are two traits I approve of).
                                                                                        It's time for a re-brand. Not arsed attracting new/more poker talk, it's done.
                                                                                        I'll take this on if need be.
                                                                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Yo rounders absolutely no joy in getting streamtvbox up & running, tired logging in through my browser/app/xbmc and nothing, left a message on the forum so hope to hear something back.

Comment

Hotel was packed with arms dealers in for a huge conference called
                                                                                            Arms for peace

Not a hint of irony on anyones face
                                                                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Was in a bar at the weekend with the most impressive whiskey selection I'd ever seen.
                                                                                              Tipple from all over the world, Ireland, American, Japanese, and the various regions of scotland (highland, lowland, speyside, islay etc).

SPOILER

SPOILER
                                                                                              Attached Files

Comment

It's been around for awhile before it.

The Walking Dead

SPOILER
                                                                                                actually preferred the episode before it, shouted "terrible" when the major scene happened, bugs when they do shit like that when they don't have to.

This summation is spot on IMO "losing the church, however, once again illustrated the show’s major weakness: The Walking Dead has only gotten better with the character drama under the guide of showrunner Scott Gimple, but in a way, the series is still walking around the forest in circles, just as it had under Frank Darabont. It’s infinitely more thrilling. It’s exponentially more heartbreaking. But at the same time, the survivors haven’t really made any progress over the last eight episodes."
                                                                                                TWD
                                                                                                SPOILER
                                                                                                but is that not the point? To show that no matter what you do, It is a lose/lose situation.

It is actually interesting now imo. They are at their lowest point to date i.e. no home, no hope, no future, no endgame. Before they had Atlanta, the farm, prison, terminus, Washington. Only 5 of the original cast left, tied up all the loose threads, so where and what now?

Think it has been a great season so far...
                                                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Morning.
                                                                                                  X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                  Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                                    Was going to watch that on the way home on the bus today, but some of the reviews left me thinking that i wouldn't have a clue what's going on. I'm presuming that's your gif too?

It may be worth a watch for how bizarre the story is but its not good. Interesting perhaps

Comment

@Dom, the only concern is that it could be fucking freezing on deck, which rules out going outside much when you're on the ship. Can highly recommend Norwegian, but I'm sure all of the main ones are good.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                        @Dom, the only concern is that it could be fucking freezing on deck, which rules out going outside much when you're on the ship. Can highly recommend Norwegian, but I'm sure all of the main ones are good.
                                                                                                        And a balcony cabin is nice in a port to have a look, no way you are spending any time when there when the ship is steaming along, its like sticking your head out of the car window...

Feck outside, stay inside, every hour there is something to do on those cruises, and you have the 24hour eating too.

The Alaskan whale watching sounds class in fairness, a good warm jacket and gloves and outside should be grand.
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

And a balcony cabin is nice in a port to have a look, no way you are spending any time when there when the ship is steaming along, its like sticking your head out of the car window...

Feck outside, stay inside, every hour there is something to do on those cruises, and you have the 24hour eating too.

The Alaskan whale watching sounds class in fairness, a good warm jacket and gloves and outside should be grand.
                                                                                                          We had a balcony cabin on the back and it was grand. Are they that bad down the sides?

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                            We had a balcony cabin on the back and it was grand. Are they that bad down the sides?
                                                                                                            Maybe the captain was in a rush but it wasn't exactly a leisurely pace, it was full steam ahead most of the time. In fairness most of the week we ere on it was at sea, NJ>FL>Bahamas for around 3 days then back to NJ, not port intensive like a med one but i prefer that i think. It was very very relaxing though, always something to do during the day in one of several bars, quizzes, bingo etc...you know, exciting shit !
                                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Lol

EMAIL FOR A LISTENER - ????
                                                                                                              {{<Hello Karen and Timmy
                                                                                                              As I write this email I've had a lovely weekend at Winterval in Waterford and fair play to all the organisers it has Waterford looking lovely and we should be so proud of our city. i took my children in around on saturday and we saw Keith Barry's magic show on the mall.
                                                                                                              Everything was brilliant but something i saw in town on Saturday really annoyed me. I was upstairs in ~***** getting a few things when I saw a woman, about my own age in her forties, with a small child in a buggy and two other children about 8 or 9. She was in the shop plain as day buying herself a Mrs Claus outfit in the underwear department. I felt sorry for the poor children with this one parading around the shop. It was a red underwear outfit with white fur trim. Imagine a mammy buying this in front of everyone. I think Christmas is about children and family and this kind of thing shouldn't be done like you're buying a jumper or a coat. I really was digusted and I left the shop straight away with my own children. I wanted to remind people to keep Christmas in Waterford about Winterval and about family.

Comment

With 3 weeks left til the big day, you'll want to be finalising your Chinese shopping basket soon if you want delivery on time.

Don't miss out on these Laser Guided Scissors. A must-have for all homes this Christmas.

€4.03 delivered.

Comment

Bring back CHD, Mdoug and Hitch

Comment

Anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                                                      Bring back CHD, Mdoug and Hitch
                                                                                                                      Micknail is a notable absence too.

Anyone
                                                                                                                      Shirley threatening to go to the Revenue should suffice?

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                                                        Micknail is a notable absence too.

Shirley threatening to go to the Revenue should suffice?
                                                                                                                        Done that, no dice. How much hassle would it cause if I did

Comment

Done that, no dice. How much hassle would it cause if I did
                                                                                                                          I'd imagine a fair bit if he is hiding revenue. I'd only go through with it if you are going Nuclear.

Link

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X