Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its a pity the water debacle has turned out the way it has. I think the biggest mistake the Irish Government made was trying to introduce a fair tax that incorporated everyone in society. If they just bumped up the universal social charge they would probably end up with more revenue and no protest.

Comment

A lot of people just can't bear to see things from the side of the protesters due to the involvement of groups like the freemen etc.
      Been a lot easier for people on here to make themselves feel like intellectual powerhouses by making snide cracks about easy targets like the freemen rather than look at the underlying conditions that lead some to embrace such retardedness
      Last edited by Guest; 19-11-14, 17:55.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        However I think it's important to take stock and reflect. The smart kids on this thread told us the protests would have no effect. Registration or payment intentions were irrelevabt as the majority wanted it. It was law and the courts were solid. So I'm confused? Why is the gov rolling back? Are protests...effective? Surely not!!
        Irish Water still in existence and water charges for everyone, it's amazing what 100k in the streets can do alright

Ez game for gov; Irish Water is still in place, and people are taking it as a victory that they're paying (slightly lower) water charges.
        Last edited by Denny Crane; 19-11-14, 18:19.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
          A lot of people just can't bear to see things from the side of the protesters due to the involvement of groups like the freemen etc.
          If those in the protester group who oppose IW could present someone, anyone, to speak on radio/television whoiss a professional or reasonably well educated I'd be more inclined to listen. Hell if I heard any reasonable arguements I'd be more inclined to listen. Its not that I cant bear to see it from their point of view I just think their reasons and arguements are so flawed entertaining them in the slightest hurts my soul

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            Irish Water still in existence and water charges for everyone, it's amazing what 100k in the streets can do alright

Ez game for gov, Irish Water is still in place, and people are taking it as a victory that they're paying (slightly lower) water charges.
            Don't forget the safety of our precious PPS numbers has been restored. It takes me a call to find anybodies PPS, they are that secure, willing to sell to businesses.
            The changes actually make things worse and people are celebrating.

Fair enough the good thing is that people actually did something and the government had to adapt, yet the result is for the worse. Great win for the people...
            It is merely a start and most people are satiated, does that say anything about what most people wanted from this?
            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-11-14, 18:24.

Comment

Arsenals best performance of the season

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

PPS numbers didn't need to be provided to waste collection companies to get service charges tax credits in the past, to say IWS needed them for the end-user to obtain a tax credit is misleading.

Comment

The smart kids on this thread told us the protests would have no effect. Registration or payment intentions were irrelevabt as the majority wanted it. It was law and the courts were solid. So I'm confused? Why is the gov rolling back? Are protests...effective? Surely not!!
                  I assume the Courts thing was aimed at me. The Courts could handle it. The roll back had nothing to do with resourcing in the Courts. Of course protests are effective. 100,000 people on the street are effective. Blocking water meter workers is just thuggery but legitimate protest works. Pretty sure (I'm sure you'll quote a post of mine if I'm wrong) that I said people should protest march as is their right. My issue was with the other "protests", not the marches.

This is just a political trick anyway. Once everyone is metered and registered they'll do what they were gonna do anyway. Keane actually put it really well, it benefits the minority at the expense of the majority in many ways. Landlord provisions are a little dodgy I'd you ask me by the way. Very unsure how this government can claim they can't affect the private contracts of bankers but they can affect the private leases of landlords and tenants are fair game after the fact for taking the water charges. Really don't see that one flying
                  You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                  World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                    Moto G issue.

The wifi symbol disappears from the top of the screen after around 1min after reboot, wont connect to home wifi, tried it in the mothers and same issue there. Done some clear cache through the volume and power buttons but still the same, i have a wifi analyser app and that "sees" my signal and strength and goes up and down when i move away from the router so that leads me to believe all hardware is fine its just a software issue ?

I dont want to factory reset it but might have to, anyone any ideas ? No system updates of late either, just happened this morning.

Its black.
                    Factory reset it this morning and all was good with the world again.

That is until i signed back into hailo, same issue, no wifi and only GPRS, no 4G signal, uninstalled hailo and hey presto back to normal.

It must not like the moto g.
                    This too shall pass.

Comment

1st Jan 2019...happens to be when the next government will be starting their re-election campaign.

Also the landlord thing is quite retarded, tenants already avoid paying their last months rent so much, gives them another reason.

Comment

How come this is the only thing people vigorously protested about in the last 7 years? Is it because no one understands banks and bonds and therefore just took it on the chin, but this comparatively tiny tax is easily identifiable and therefore some sort of affront? Just curious, no interest in politics or society in general, but this one got me wondering.
                        Last edited by Guest; 19-11-14, 19:01.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                          How come this is the only thing people vigorously protested about in the last 7 years? Is it because no one understands banks and bonds and therefore just took it on the chin, but this comparatively tiny tax is easily identifiable and therefore some sort of affront? Just curious, no interest in politics or society in general, but this one got me wondering.
                          Cumulative effect. 'Why did that small slim book cause my shelf to collapse when I added it on Thursday? Was so solid with all those big books on it for years.'
                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                            I assume the Courts thing was aimed at me. The Courts could handle it. The roll back had nothing to do with resourcing in the Courts. Of course protests are effective. 100,000 people on the street are effective. Blocking water meter workers is just thuggery but legitimate protest works. Pretty sure (I'm sure you'll quote a post of mine if I'm wrong) that I said people should protest march as is their right. My issue was with the other "protests", not the marches.

This is just a political trick anyway. Once everyone is metered and registered they'll do what they were gonna do anyway. Keane actually put it really well, it benefits the minority at the expense of the majority in many ways. Landlord provisions are a little dodgy IF you ask me by the way. Very unsure how this government can claim they can't affect the private contracts of bankers but they can affect the private leases of landlords and tenants are fair game after the fact for taking the water charges. Really don't see that one flying
                            FYP m8

Comment

Cumulative effect. 'Why did that small slim book cause my shelf to collapse when I added it on Thursday? Was so solid with all those big books on it for years.'
                              Nonsense. If the amount was raised through income tax, USC or Vat instead there would have been no protests.

Comment

Nonsense. If the amount was raised through income tax, USC or Vat instead there would have been no protests.
                                Well yeah, the absence of IW and the increase of income tax to improve existing infrastructure would have been fine by me.

Setting up of IW; relatively high provision charges allied to a token lowering of income tax not okay.

There you are now.
                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Well yeah, the absence of IW and the increase of income tax to improve existing infrastructure would have been fine by me.

Setting up of IW; relatively high provision charges allied to a token lowering of income tax not okay.

There you are now.
                                  Irrespective of all the bullshit

A centralized place to deal with water is needed and will save money in the long run

Unless you think having over 30 different water departments across the country is a good use of taxpayer monies

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

VAT obviously best as it hits those without employment. A special 1% extra rate (call it something subtle like 'IWVAT' more than sufficient. There wouldn't be a peep.

Pity Enda didn't have the balls to tell people who wouldn't vote for him anyway to GFY.

What are the next steps for the protestors? Declare victory and move on?
                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by poprock View Post
                                        Irrespective of all the bullshit

A centralized place to deal with water is needed and will save money in the long run

Unless you think having over 30 different water departments across the country is a good use of taxpayer monies
                                        It sure isn't good to have them, people seem to forget there is a massive report saying so and that IW needed to be made to save money. (Not feasible to leave things as they are)

Comment

The smart kids on this thread told us the protests would have no effect.
                                          [citation needed]
                                          Been a lot easier for people on here to make themselves feel like intellectual powerhouses by making snide cracks about easy targets like the freemen rather than look at the underlying conditions that lead some to embrace such retardedness
                                          I think everyone acknowledged that this was happening because it was the straw that broke the camels back... still is a special kind of moronic to be to be upset about a good nutritious bit of straw when you are content to say nothing about the shitload of toxic bricks you are carrying.
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            VAT obviously best as it hits those without employment. A special 1% extra rate (call it something subtle like 'IWVAT' more than sufficient. There wouldn't be a peep.

Pity Enda didn't have the balls to tell people who wouldn't vote for him anyway to GFY.

What are the next steps for the protestors? Declare victory and move on?
                                            Keep squeezing would be my instinct. 200k on the streets next month and no significant movement on registrations would kill it. Gov is weak - Kelly didn't strike me as a man committed to what he was saying.

Comment

There you are now.
                                              I thought you were implying in your other post that this was the level of taxation that broke the camels back?

Keep squeezing would be my instinct. 200k on the streets next month and no significant movement on registrations would kill it. Gov is weak - Kelly didn't strike me as a man committed to what he was saying.
                                              Wager?

Comment

What do they want? Complete abolition and 'free' water for all?

Would that be total victory?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                    That, plus maybe the ability to piss in the water supply of the majority who thought it reasonable (if reluctantly so) to pay for water in an environmentally conscious way.
                                                    I must admit to having pissed in the Stillorgan resevoir on a few occasions

Comment

is the Sky broadband shit enough to dissuade me from moving from UPC?

Comment

Who payed for my 'free' water last year?
                                                        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                          Who payed for my 'free' water last year?
                                                          exactly

Comment

exactly
                                                            and the year before that.....and the year before that......
                                                            Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                              and the year before that.....and the year before that......
                                                              yes

Comment

is the Sky broadband shit enough to dissuade me from moving from UPC?
                                                                YES.

That is in Wickla though. Sky just use Eircom so if eircom is shite around you then leave it.

Ideally though try keep UPC broadband and get Sky TV. Typical of Irish services but that is the ideal route.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                  YES.

That is in Wickla though. Sky just use Eircom so if eircom is shite around you then leave it.

Ideally though try keep UPC broadband and get Sky TV. Typical of Irish services but that is the ideal route.
                                                                  sounds like a pain in the hole

inertia rules OK

Comment

sounds like a pain in the hole

inertia rules OK
                                                                    Tis. Sky make you rent a line for a phone too but you probably use one so wouldn't be that much of an issue. Sky tv is so much better that it might be worth going with them for everything. Shirley the broadband will be upgraded soon.

Who knows RD3 m8, who knows?

Comment

YES.

Comment

Just back from a pretty cool restaraunt, cant say where (if you have to ask and all that) Superb steak and choice wines but the best thing is your table is situated on a glass floor situated over a glass pit where 2 homeless people fight each other to get a chance to eat some of the scraps left over after your meal. Top class food , entertainment AND you feel good inside. Top stuff.
                                                                        I see the peasants still arent happy today, loooooool time to get out the batons chaps, what-what!

Comment

The latest gig of Anonymous, is to unveil as many members of the KKK as possible. It really is a bad idea getting on the wrong side of them!

Journalism is an integral part of the modern political process. Political journalists form the information picture, shape the domestic political and international agenda.

Comment

Ship the new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Walking down past the garden of rememberance yesterday down to Parnell street and i heard what sounded like a really loud fart.
                                                                              I glanced over and some guy was holding on to some stone and had his bare arse pointed to the road and was projectile scuttering and talking to some other poor soul.
                                                                              At 3 o clock in the fucking day ffs find somewhere to hide and have a shite jesus.
                                                                              City center.

Comment

Originally posted by ThanksWhore View Post
                                                                                Just back from a pretty cool restaraunt, cant say where (if you have to ask and all that) Superb steak and choice wines but the best thing is your table is situated on a glass floor situated over a glass pit where 2 homeless people fight each other to get a chance to eat some of the scraps left over after your meal. Top class food , entertainment AND you feel good inside. Top stuff.
                                                                                I see the peasants still arent happy today, loooooool time to get out the batons chaps, what-what!
                                                                                Ship the new job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                                                                Already been done m8

Comment

Your no pasta ya prick wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                                    Your no pasta ya prick wannabe.
                                                                                    Free the PasTa 1 mod m8s

Comment

...

Comment

misspelled restaurant dude
                                                                                        Twice

Comment

Only one cunt used to post looooooool and he was the nut cunt.

Comment

Woah, Enda saved the big guns for the news at 9, a Peoples Forum , cancel all the protests!

Comment

misspelled restaurant dude
                                                                                              It's re: star aunt

It's twinks nephew; he spelt the ":" wrong!

Comment

Teachers are planning to strike for two days because they've been asked to correct a few assignments in order to modernise the education system. Very decent changes to the junior cycle imo.

Childcare to replace lost school for those two days will probably cost more than water charges for the entire year.

I'd imagine its going to be carnage on the streets as the shinners, unions, socialist wurkers, associated badasses, take to the streets to protest against this unnecessary cost imposed by teachers on hardworking families.
                                                                                                If you cant see a problem with Teachers correcting their own students work for part of a state exam in this country then you cant be helped

Comment

Tis. Sky make you rent a line for a phone too but you probably use one so wouldn't be that much of an issue. Sky tv is so much better that it might be worth going with them for everything. Shirley the broadband will be upgraded soon.

Who knows RD3 m8, who knows?
                                                                                                  Yeah, have UPC phone. Want to get off them for TV but the bb is too good. Dilemna.

m8

Comment

Yeah, have UPC phone. Want to get off them for TV but the bb is too good. Dilemna.

m8
                                                                                                    Do not envy ya m8.

gl

Comment

If you cant see a problem with Teachers correcting their own students work for part of a state exam in this country then you cant be helped
                                                                                                      But at 3rd level we can award bachelors and masters (taught rather than research anyway) degrees with very cursory external over sight.
                                                                                                      May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by bp_me View Post
                                                                                                        But at 3rd level we can award bachelors and masters (taught rather than research anyway) degrees with very cursory external over sight.
                                                                                                        and nothing ethically dodgy ever happens there. Ever

Comment

and nothing ethically dodgy ever happens there. Ever
                                                                                                          Never. Never ever ever. Ever.
                                                                                                          May you live in interesting times!

Comment

PSV making a late run at 'troll of the year'.

Lacking in subtlety though. Needs more work.

Comment

I agree exams in school were always biased.
                                                                                                              At least for the leaving cert your a number anonomous not Paddys son who i golf with
                                                                                                              or that bollix whos disruptive.

Comment

At least for the leaving cert your a number anonomous not Paddys son who i golf with
                                                                                                                Which were you? I'm guessing 'both'.

Comment

I highly doubt you were disruptive in school?

Comment

Which were you? I'm guessing 'both'.
                                                                                                                    Nah no golfers in my family.
                                                                                                                    Id say nowadays i be diagnosed with add or something.

Went to an all boys school and had lots of women teachers who plainly hated there jobs.

One yoke form Donegal would scream at you for making a mistake first year german ffs sorry im not fluent miss
                                                                                                                    she also taught girls from convent and kept reminding us the girls are much better than you useless lot.
                                                                                                                    Obv horrible lesbian karma got her dying of cancer now.

Was huge bias in exams from 1st year to 6th i was once blamed for sticking 5 sheep in the science room new carpets obv sheep shat everywhere at night study i explained i had an alibi was playing snooker for 3 hours.

Comment

...

Comment

Seriously? 15 year olds shouldn't be doing state exams. They should be learning. The Junior Cert is an outdated idea.
                                                                                                                        In an ideal world yeah. In reality I'd imagine most secondary school teachers are fairly useless biased cunts, or have they improved a lot in the last 30 years?. The junior cert, is a small relief from that bias, and makes the leaving cert a lot less stressful than it would be, if it was ones first ever state exam.
                                                                                                                        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X