• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The university's barn?
    Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

definitely not a cow college.
      Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Eddie Hobbs is some drool monkey.
        Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Finkel View Post
          Wtf Danny, no titties.
          The fecking drum roll was better than the 20K post

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
            Eddie Hobbs is some drool monkey.
            What's he at?
            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Only went in to wrestle with the cattle

Comment

I see one ill cat & NorwichfanRob had a new arrival this morning (girl). Surely a future poker Champion. Congrats.

Comment

If any film goer of decent taste needs their faith restored in good cinema after Interstellar check out the Imitation Game.
                  Profit before people.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                      Kinda put off by how depressing the original C4 movie was on Turing. Also a bit put off by Cumberbatch doing that awful Assange movie (what was he thinking?). It's genuinely decent, even if you're familiar with the story?

Comment

Comment

Kinda put off by how depressing the original C4 movie was on Turing. Also a bit put off by Cumberbatch doing that awful Assange movie (what was he thinking?). It's genuinely decent, even if you're familiar with the story?
                          Yeah the Fifth Estate had lol pacing issues, very poor film.

Yeah I thought it was excellent, Turing is portrayed not too dissimilar from his Sherlock character which he's obv brilliant in so while perhaps not doing his versatility as an actor any favours he's quite clearly masterful at playing that reclusive genius role.

It was depressing though, not sure you can tell his life story with accuracy without it being so.
                          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                            If any film goer of decent taste needs their faith restored in good cinema after Interstellar check out the Imitation Game.
                            Last time i was at the cinema to see 71, they had the trailer for both that and Mr. Turner, both looked brilliant
                            airport, lol

Comment

- Do you know what they call a euro in England?
                              - They don't call it a euro?
                              - Nah, man, they got the sterling system. They wouldn't know what the fuck a euro is.
                              - What do they call it?
                              - They call it a pound.

uhhhh why would an American and an Indian production company pay a man in Sterling?

Comment

Anyone who didn't enjoy Interstellar is doing it wrong imo.

The trick is not to overthink these things, let yourself get carried away in the entertainment.

Some of the shite in the film review thread in the other place is loltastic...like, why didnt NASA put the effort into reducing the nitrogen levels in the atmosphere first...cos you wouldn't have a space film then you thick cunt.
                                This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

The housemate was arguing recently that there is a curious male phenomenon (largely the preserve of males under the 30 mark apparently) about needing to push their opinions on music / films / culture onto others in an aggressive way. This was part of a conversation on gender and feminism so I obviously didn't concede the point at the time but on reflection I realised I was definitely massively guilty of the behaviour when I was younger.

Great example of it there tbf. You could have said 'Imitation Game' is class but no - you had to go a little harder than that. Good stuff.
                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                      The housemate was arguing recently that there is a curious male phenomenon (largely the preserve of males under the 30 mark apparently) about needing to push their opinions on music / films / culture onto others in an aggressive way. This was part of a conversation on gender and feminism so I obviously didn't concede the point at the time but on reflection I realised I was definitely massively guilty of the behaviour when I was younger.

Great example of it there tbf. You could have said 'Imitation Game' is class but no - you had to go a little harder than that. Good stuff.
                                      I did deliberately add it in just to be divisive tbf, and knew I'd get a rise from some, so can't speak for the whole demographic you catagorised me in but at least on my part there's full self awareness about it, forums work better imo when you stir it up a bit.

Interstellar was still a crock of shite though.
                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Cant understand how people could love Guardians of The Galaxy and find plot holes in Interstellar...the mind boggles, they are not documentaries.
                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                            Is it true you can read other peoples PMs once you hit 20k posts?
                                            Don't worry your secrets are safe with me

Thats such an excellent boards first post. c u @ 40k m8
                                            This "m8" thing needs to stop you know it's polluting people's mind when you even see RD3 using it.

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                            20k Posts, can't stop now Danny
                                            Actually would've hit 20,000 a long time ago but slowed down my posting for awhile.

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                            Technically any of us admins are able to do it, but I'd be amazed if any other than me know how to. I think your inner ravings are generally safe though.
                                            Liking the new pic you implemented for it, think this would also be acceptable and you could even steal it for yourself.

Originally posted by Lord Finkel View Post
                                            Wtf Danny, no titties.
                                            I know I know was going to included them at the end but thought best not to.

[NSFW="Bouncy"][/NSFW]
                                            "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

I watched Veronica Guerin last night and in the epilogue it stated that the government changed the constitution during an emergency session to set up CAB. Ruined the whole movie for me.
                                              Last edited by Denny Crane; 17-11-14, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                Cant understand how people could love Guardians of The Galaxy and find plot holes in Interstellar...the mind boggles, they are not documentaries.
                                                I didn't watch them to find plot holes, but Guardians of the galaxy didn't have clunky dialogue and wasn't preachy with things massively signposted throughout the film.

For a film that tried to explain a lot of the science involved as it went along, Interstellar just got so much so wrong, but it was still the bad dialog and signposting that was the main reason I disliked it. Plot holes I can glaze over when the rest of the film is engaging, but in this case it certainly wasn't for me.

Comment

Its just an application of group theory really?

Android fan is not just a fan of Android, but an active disliker of Apple

XBox fan is not just a fan, but a disliker of PS4

For the group to be strong there needs to not just be a reason for the group to exist, but some sense of dislike directed at those outside the group.

In the small circumstance here, the group is those who like the new movie, with the added bonus of the group disliking the old movie.

Although this could all be pseudo-science, and the analogy to group behaviours doesn't quite fit in this circumstance.
                                                  What with the need to pigeon hole things.

There is no requirement to like both at the same time or like one and dislike another. I personally actually like both Apple and android.

They are two different films. Perfectly ok to like one and dislike the other or like them both. Purely down to personal preferance...
                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Yeah plot holes was far from the reason why I didn't think it worked. Wouldn't know nearly enough about Astrophysics to call them out on inaccuracies.

GOTG was charming, had characters with a far greater emotional core that engaged the viewer far more deeply. It also had very witty dialogue and full of genuine funny moments throughout.

Interstellar never drew me in beyond the admittadly impressive visual effects and accompanying score but it failed in so many ways where GOTG worked, had a very formulaic big budget feel to it.
                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Interstellar could easily have been 30 mins shorter, more inclined to look for faults when attention is starting to wander and enjoyment is decreasing.
                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

Its just an application of group theory really?

Although this could all be pseudo-science, and the analogy to group behaviours doesn't quite fit in this circumstance.
                                                        Much more profound and essential than group behaviour. We are talking about binary opposition, the meaning and value of things being grounded in their position within a structure. What is is good about a "good" film is in contradistinction to what is bad in a "bad" film.

This is part of a massive area of intellectual thought in the 20th century which was initially based on the French structural linguist Ferdinand de Saussure's work, and taken up by French intellectuals in the structuralist movement such as Levi-Strauss who founded structural anthropology, and people like the psychoanalyst Lacan, and then post-structuralists such as Derrida and Foucault.

My strong advice is to not touch structuralism, post-structuralism, deconstruction etc. with a fucking bargepole as there is little as abstruse as a French intellectual's writings due to the cultural fact that unlike, say, an analytical philosopher from US/UK, in France the less penetrable one's ideas are the more they are considered to be impressively intellectual.

But if you are interested in this tendency to frame things in opposition to what it is not then this is where you would look to.

Comment

fwiw I'd like to watch more of the Nolan film about Cooper and his children chasing after military surveillance drones through corn fields. That was cool. I kept thinking that the whole way through the film. It was like he had all these set piece ideas that he thought were cool and connected them in a pretty awful way.

Opr

Comment

Yeah plot holes was far from the reason why I didn't think it worked. Wouldn't know nearly enough about Astrophysics to call them out on inaccuracies.

GOTG was charming, had characters with a far greater emotional core that engaged the viewer far more deeply. It also had very witty dialogue and full of genuine funny moments throughout.

Interstellar never drew me in beyond the admittadly impressive visual effects and accompanying score but it failed in so many ways where GOTG worked, had a very formulaic big budget feel to it.
                                                            I am the complete opposite to you and Tom then, it completely drew me in, i was very much emotionally involved with the whole family and shed more than one tear near the end.

I am a very good target audience in fairness, i just look for a good story that entertains, i dont go into that dialogue arc and score bullshit. I dont know what signposting is either.
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

I am the complete opposite to you and Tom then, it completely drew me in, i was very much emotionally involved with the whole family and shed more than one tear near the end.

I am a very good target audience in fairness, i just look for a good story that entertains, i dont go into that dialogue arc and score bullshit. I dont know what signposting is either.
                                                              Signposting is them making it obvious what is going to happen at later bits in the film.

One of many examples was
                                                              SPOILER
                                                              when it was obvious Matt Damon was hiding something and going to go rogue when he made up a flimsy excuse for why the robot had been dismantled and told them not to bother looking at it.
                                                              . Not the best example by any means, but there were lots.

Comment

Was meant to be away this weekend and plans changed. Long shot but looking for a ticket or a couple of tickets to the Australia game. If anyone has any leads or ideas please let me know. Thanks, Adam

Comment

Originally posted by thechamp87 View Post
                                                                  Was meant to be away this weekend and plans changed. Long shot but looking for a ticket or a couple of tickets to the Australia game. If anyone has any leads or ideas please let me know. Thanks, Adam
                                                                  Can send an email to my club Adam and ask im owed a favour just need a guarantee youd take ticket or 2 if i could secure one.

Comment

There is no surer sign that we need a vicious and prolonged world war than grown adults tweeting about how the new John Lewis ad brought a year to their eye.

Speaking of world war just saw sainsburys effort at flogging mince pies by using the Christmas truce from ww1, utter cunts

Comment

I know we all love a good protester beatdown on here, but that footage of the guards slamming that woman into the bollard outside the dail was nasty

Comment

Sunday sport really is special
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                                                          There is no surer sign that we need a vicious and prolonged world war than grown adults tweeting about how the new John Lewis ad brought a year to their eye.

Speaking of world war just saw sainsburys effort at flogging mince pies by using the Christmas truce from ww1, utter cunts
                                                                          Is nothing sacred?

No

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                            Much more profound and essential than group behaviour. We are talking about binary opposition, the meaning and value of things being grounded in their position within a structure. What is is good about a "good" film is in contradistinction to what is bad in a "bad" film.

This is part of a massive area of intellectual thought in the 20th century which was initially based on the French structural linguist Ferdinand de Saussure's work, and taken up by French intellectuals in the structuralist movement such as Levi-Strauss who founded structural anthropology, and people like the psychoanalyst Lacan, and then post-structuralists such as Derrida and Foucault.

My strong advice is to not touch structuralism, post-structuralism, deconstruction etc. with a fucking bargepole as there is little as abstruse as a French intellectual's writings due to the cultural fact that unlike, say, an analytical philosopher from US/UK, in France the less penetrable one's ideas are the more they are considered to be impressively intellectual.

But if you are interested in this tendency to frame things in opposition to what it is not then this is where you would look to.

Comment

What is is good about a "good" film is in contradistinction to what is bad in a "bad" film.

This is part of a massive area of intellectual thought in the 20th century ... the structuralist movement such as Levi-Strauss who founded structural anthropology, ...
                                                                              He did a good job
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Oh yes

"We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Have to be honest here....
                                                                                  I read a lot of your posts, then re-read them and half the time don't understand them...

tl;dr feel like a gobshit
                                                                                  Follow me in twitterland

Comment

Originally posted by smurph View Post
                                                                                    I read a lot of your posts, then re-read them and half the time don't understand them...

Must be a word for speaking purposely overly intelligent and/or inappropriate for the situation? hotspur probably knows it!

Comment

He can be a bit sesquipedalian alright.
                                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hadn't seen this before:

Follow us on twitter @rubberbanditsor https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rubberbandits/45998897199?ref=tsSUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/19ioataVideo directed by http:/...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                          He can be a bit sesquipedalian alright.
                                                                                          I have the often annoying habit of using words like that in conversation with no idea how they are pronounced.
                                                                                          I went for years using the word hyperbole when friends exaggerated pronouncing it hyper bowl. Id never heard the word said out loud only read it in books

Comment

Has anyone come across dark chocolate advent calendar, I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Comment

This is a great episode of Horizon from 2004 that's closely aligned to the field I work(ed) in. It's about a guy who claimed to have made organic transistors work which is a kind of holy grail in electronics. He was in line for a Nobel prize and baffling everyone with his amazing results. He was found out as having made up his results in the end by some very astute people.
                                                                                              I guess not many people will have the time or interest to watch it, but just putting it out there. Ignore the first three minutes of sensationalist framing.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Can anyone recommend a good employment law solicitor? My mother may have been dismissed unfairly and we would like to look into it.

Ty
                                                                                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                                  Has anyone come across dark chocolate advent calendar, I can't seem to find them anywhere.
                                                                                                  They have them here:

Browse the famous Christmas Chocolate range; stunning selection boxes, luxury chocolate calendars, hampers, gifts, and so much more from

you could try Thornton's in Dublin? They maybe could make you one up
                                                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Anyone else google "abstruse" and think "yep dictionary, you summed up Hotspur perfectly"?
                                                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                                                                                      The hobo at the start is a cousin of mine, may or may not be DJ Willie O'Dea, I think it was Jam-fly that was on about the UL vikings before, he gets the link im sure.
                                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

SatNav love child scandal, had to emigrate to Canada to hide shame.
                                                                                                        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                          They have them here:

Browse the famous Christmas Chocolate range; stunning selection boxes, luxury chocolate calendars, hampers, gifts, and so much more from

you could try Thornton's in Dublin? They maybe could make you one up
                                                                                                          How are you getting on now SatNav?

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                            IF she has been dismissed unfairly then go for a big firm as she won't end up paying their bill as her former employer will when they are through with them, they will also end up presenting your mam with an oversized novelty cheque. Otherwise tread carefully with a cheaper solicitor I guess. I have to say that I think you would probably be a bit more committal than "may have been" if she had in fact been unfairly dismissed.

There is also another angle in so far as many big firms have a policy of never being in front of a judge on a charge such as this and will just cut a cheque to preserve public face.
                                                                                                            Thanks Noel.

Yeah I can't really be committed as I'm in Canada and I'm just getting info through whatsapp. It's obviously biased info and I'm being non committal because I don't actually know.

I'd be fairly sure she has. No warnings. No letters or formal meetings. Unrealistic goals and threats if targets not made etc. Could I maybe pm you about it?
                                                                                                            This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                              How are you getting on now SatNav?
                                                                                                              ah I'm alright. Still very very angry and still thinking about it from waking to sleeping but I kind of realise I cant do a thing and hoping Karma will rear its head at some point and look after me. in he meantime I have a weekend with friends in Manchester to look forward to and a few other blessings in life to keep me going. thanks for asking .
                                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                                                                                                                Thanks Noel.

Yeah I can't really be committed as I'm in Canada and I'm just getting info through whatsapp. It's obviously biased info and I'm being non committal because I don't actually know.

I'd be fairly sure she has. No warnings. No letters or formal meetings. Unrealistic goals and threats if targets not made etc. Could I maybe pm you about it?
                                                                                                                get your mam to give these a call, they are extremely helpful

based in Carlow
                                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

...

Comment

Lazare car update: We have a bid, lowball.

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                    ah I'm alright. Still very very angry and still thinking about it from waking to sleeping but I kind of realise I cant do a thing and hoping Karma will rear its head at some point and look after me. in he meantime I have a weekend with friends in Manchester to look forward to and a few other blessings in life to keep me going. thanks for asking .
                                                                                                                    Can't wait.

Comment

...

Comment

Update: Kicking off now.

Comment

Originally posted by smurph View Post

It's the Lord's work I'm doing. If I can make just one person feel bad about themselves then it makes all that hard work reading dictionaries worthwhile. Thank you for that Smurph, you've no idea how much it means to me.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X