X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potential hilarity in the France-Oz game
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Great test match that, superb entertainment.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        Great test match that, superb entertainment.
        France have a 24 stone replacement on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
          People claiming that this photo is faked are actually the pinnacle of pathetic conspiracy theorists. The independent is hardly a paragon of unbiased reporting but they're not gonna mess about with something like this!

What is the significance of the photo iyo? Jobstown not liking Gards and having lots of disaffected youth isn't news?
          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

What is the significance of the photo iyo? Jobstown not liking Gards and having lots of disaffected youth isn't news?
            Oh I think the story is overblown. This shit happens at protests and the guy was arrested seemingly. It's a nothing story really other than as a footnote to the story about how the Tanaiste was treated.

I'm more interested in the stupid reaction to the photo (on both sides to be fair). Some calling it evidence of how this has all gotten out of hand (it has but not cause a muppet threw something at a Garda car) and some calling it a photoshopped conspiracy.

I'm laughing at the process, not the underlying issue.
            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Shame not a strong willed military man in charge.
              One round in that man please.
              A brick when thrown is a lethal weapon.
              People jostling guards and screaming peaceful protest in the video as well.

And other stuff was thrown at the car too where Joan Bruton was.
              Its going to get that many politicans will not be safe in public with the anger and potential harm to themselves from baying mobs like was seen today.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Oh I think the story is overblown. This shit happens at protests and the guy was arrested seemingly. It's a nothing story really other than as a footnote to the story about how the Tanaiste was treated.

I'm more interested in the stupid reaction to the photo (on both sides to be fair). Some calling it evidence of how this has all gotten out of hand (it has but not cause a muppet threw something at a Garda car) and some calling it a photoshopped conspiracy.

I'm laughing at the process, not the underlying issue.
                  Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                  Shame not a strong willed military man in charge.
                  One round in that man please.
                  A brick when thrown is a lethal weapon.
                  People jostling guards and screaming peaceful protest in the video as well.

And other stuff was thrown at the car too where Joan Bruton was.
                  Its going to get that many politicans will not be safe in public with the anger and potential harm to themselves from baying mobs like was seen today
                  What's remarkable is that it has taken this long for us to see this type of backlash from the section of society that feels disenfranchised. Such incidents would be relatively commonplace around Europe (which is where many of ye against the water protests would like us to be modelled upon seemingly ). The economic recovery will take its time to filter back down to Jobstown - precisely the type of area that would have the most experience of Bruton's great experiment as Minister for Social Protection.

That picture / video doesn't mean a whole lot and isn't showing anything we didn't know before.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                    Ah she did a tree. Bit disappointing, must teach her more about nature. Maybe it'll be 12 before she gets into Ox.

SPOILER
                    Your six year old daughter made that?

Comment

Listening to Kate Bush ridiculously loud

Official music video for the single "Running Up That Hill" written and produced by British singer Kate Bush.The song was the first single from Kate's 1985 al...

Official music video for the single "Hounds of Love" -- which is the title track of the Hounds of Love album by Kate Bush. It was also the third of the albu...

Official music video for the single "Cloudbusting" written, produced and performed by the British singer Kate Bush. It was the second single released from he...

Official music video for the single "The Big Sky" written and produced by British singer Kate Bush.The song was the fourth and final single from the No. 1 al...
                      Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

What's remarkable is that it has taken this long for us to see this type of backlash from the section of society that feels disenfranchised
                        Still doesn't make trapping her in the car for 2 hours anything other than unacceptable.

Comment

Comment

That's tame for jobstown. Used to drive their cars into ours when we beat them. Kingswood was another lovely area where insurance money always followed. Lovely area is tallaght.

Comment

Comment

What's remarkable is that it has taken this long for us to see this type of backlash from the section of society that feels disenfranchised. Such incidents would be relatively commonplace around Europe (which is where many of ye against the water protests would like us to be modelled upon seemingly ). The economic recovery will take its time to filter back down to Jobstown - precisely the type of area that would have the most experience of Bruton's great experiment as Minister for Social Protection.

That picture / video doesn't mean a whole lot and isn't showing anything we didn't know before.
                                Ahem i have never said if im with or against protestors.
                                I do believe irish water is a farce and the gung ho approach and arrogance of the government in rushing in meters with buddy Dennis O briens company and a managing director Tierney whos cv is a long list of fuck ups and squandering public money has quite rightly stirred anger.

Most of my friends are against even ones with there own wells.
                                Dont know much about Jobstown but passed a Topaz close to Ballyfermot and was 6 tough looking lads with boycott Dennis o Brien wrote on signs.
                                Would have been intimidating for anyone stopping off.

No harm politcians getting some abuse they were like the clergy before untouchables.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                  That's tame for jobstown.
                                  Whoever named that place had a sense of irony.

Comment

With that brick photo I can't get past his left hand and what looks like gloved fingers in a highly improbable position.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                      That's tame for jobstown. Used to drive their cars into ours when we beat them. Kingswood was another lovely area where insurance money always followed. Lovely area is tallaght.
                                      Decent swathes of Tallaght are shitholes. I would know.

I always find it amusing when you hear the nonsense 'ah Tallaght is as good as anywhere, everywhere is the same'. Eh no it fucking isn't. I'll take nice leafy Goatstown everyday of the week thank you (no protests when the water meters were installed on my road!).

Comment

There's 6 photo's here

Comment

Comment

Can I just ask by the way, why in the name of jaysus was Bruton sent to Jobstown given the current landscape? It's almost like they wanted something like this to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                              Ahem i have never said if im with or against protestors.
                                              I do believe irish water is a farce and the gung ho approach and arrogance of the government in rushing in meters with buddy Dennis O briens company and a managing director Tierney whos cv is a long list of fuck ups and squandering public money has quite rightly stirred anger.

Most of my friends are against even ones with there own wells.
                                              Dont know much about Jobstown but passed a Topaz close to Ballyfermot and was 6 tough looking lads with boycott Dennis o Brien wrote on signs.
                                              Would have been intimidating for anyone stopping off.

No harm politcians getting some abuse they were like the clergy before untouchables.

Mick, as always, you're alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                That link of previously aforementioned scumbag somehow led me to this:

wp internet
                                                Last edited by Raoul Duke III; 15-11-14, 23:04.

Comment

Comment

Can I just ask by the way, why in the name of jaysus was Bruton sent to Jobstown given the current landscape? It's almost like they wanted something like this to happen.
                                                    She was at some graduation thing. It was a perfectly normal thing for a Minister to attend. Timing maybe not brilliant but she's got a job to do and I'm glad she's still doing it. (FWIW I don't rate her politics but she's always seemed a very good person and actually believes in what she's doing)

I'll just brush past the old victim blaming comparison cause it's trite and silly.

Comment

Comment

That's not even original. The idea of extra EV picking higher numbers than 31 has been around for years.

Comment

Decent swathes of Tallaght are shitholes. I would know.

I always find it amusing when you hear the nonsense 'ah Tallaght is as good as anywhere, everywhere is the same'. Eh no it fucking isn't. I'll take nice leafy Goatstown everyday of the week thank you (no protests when the water meters were installed on my road!).
                                                          Lol haven't heard anyone other than George Hook refer to an area as 'leafy'. Was in his gaff a few weeks ago, as he somehow managed to end up in London, without his passport. Surprisingly modest abode, even if it is Foxrock
                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

She was at some graduation thing. It was a perfectly normal thing for a Minister to attend. Timing maybe not brilliant but she's got a job to do and I'm glad she's still doing it. (FWIW I don't rate her politics but she's always seemed a very good person and actually believes in what she's doing)

I'll just brush past the old victim blaming comparison cause it's trite and silly.
                                                              lollingtons, lots and lots of righteous outrage and snark in these debates recently. There was a decent opinion piece in the Times today that made a good point about the forceful protestations from the Government and media on recent political events rings terribly hollow.

Unemployed people graduating from some employability course in a college there today. Social welfare funded it.

Should Jobstown be considered no-go aka Free Derry until the water thing dies down?
                                                              Yes it should for national level coalition politicians - it and any other estates in Dublin that have had physical meter installation protests. That's simple common sense, whether it be right or wrong.

Comment

It's a giraffe apparently eating a plane

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                  Lol haven't heard anyone other than George Hook refer to an area as 'leafy'. Was in his gaff a few weeks ago, as he somehow managed to end up in London, without his passport. Surprisingly modest abode, even if it is Foxrock
                                                                  I can't describe it as anything other when I have to trudge over lots of wet decaying 'leafy' shit on the footpaths to and from my bustop each day!!

Comment

lollingtons, lots and lots of righteous outrage and snark in these debates recently. There was a decent opinion piece in the Times today that made a good point about the forceful protestations from the Government and media on recent political events rings terribly hollow.
                                                                    You do realise I was pointing out that accusing you of victim blaming was a silly argument, I was trying to head it off at the post as it were. I took your point and addressed it without snark. I was sans-snark.

Do you really think the Tanaiste shouldn't go near certain parts of the country?

EDIT: Sorry, you have probably addressed this adequately above to be fair.

Comment

Brag: Have convinced the missus to watch True Detective. Can't fucken wait to watch it again.
                                                                      Last edited by AndyFatBastard; 15-11-14, 23:26.
                                                                      "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Comment

Just. no.
                                                                          Let's not dismiss this so easily. No-Go zones could be the answer to all our problems.

Comment

You do realise I was pointing out that accusing you of victim blaming was a silly argument, I was trying to head it off at the post as it were. I took your point and addressed it without snark. I was sans-snark.

Do you really think the Tanaiste shouldn't go near certain parts of the country?
                                                                            Oh right, no I didn't get that I guess. I suppose you could have simply not mentioned it at all if you wanted to be 100% snark free.

Yes I do. The parts of the country are tiny blips on the whole map that is Ireland. The government is hand waving about 'dark elements' behind the protests. IF they believe that, they should stay away. The Gards are doing their thing in those areas and rightly so. It's about being smart, that's all.

You can poke a hornet's nest because you're entitled to, unfortunately you're likely to take a couple of stings if that's your call.

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                              That eejit throws like a girl.

Was about 8 feet away from the car and still didn't manage to break the window.
                                                                              Managed to fall over after throwing the brick.
                                                                              His jeans are half way down his arse.

Spanner

Comment

...

Comment

Oh right, no I didn't get that I guess. I suppose you could have simply not mentioned it at all if you wanted to be 100% snark free.

Yes I do. The parts of the country are tiny blips on the whole map that is Ireland. The government is hand waving about 'dark elements' behind the protests. IF they believe that, they should stay away.
                                                                                  Have you got a comprehensive list of these areas for us? Might be a useful reference guide.

Better yet, the government could withdraw services and SW benefits from these areas if the people within feel themselves unduly constrained by the laws of the Republic. That would appear to be fair exchange.

Comment

You can poke a hornet's nest because you're entitled to, unfortunately you're likely to take a couple of stings if that's your call.
                                                                                    Yeah... that's bullshit frankly.

It was a Minister of Government attending an extremely positive event in a community that doesn't have enough positive events. There's nothing wrong with that. People protesting peacefully - there's nothing wrong with that either. But just because you shout peaceful protest doesn't mean it is one. Intimidating anyone like that is simply wrong.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

@Kayroo could you stop time travelling and then copying what I'm about to say pls
                                                                                            Quotes? Where we're going we don't need quotes...

Comment

Yes it should for national level coalition politicians - it and any other estates in Dublin that have had physical meter installation protests. That's simple common sense, whether it be right or wrong.
                                                                                              More outrage and hand waving I see.

I guess common sense isn't that common but there you go.

Comment

...

Comment

More outrage and hand waving I see.

I guess common sense isn't that common but there you go.
                                                                                                  Actually I was picking you up on the entirety of your point, not the throwaway part at the end where you give yourself an out.

Also you're missing the fundamental point. We are discussing a principle. Minister Burton should be able to go to Jobstown free from the fear of scenes like that. The fact that she isn't able to do that is wrong. Surely you would concede that?

Your post effectively blames her for the situation. That's simply nonsensical.

Comment

That's brilliant. Are you arguing with yourself now? This is going to be absolute carnage but the match we've all wanted to see. LL vs LL.
                                                                                                    No, I'm not arguing with myself. I'm highlighting the fact that I already indicated such types of protests aren't 'right' so, by extension, you should calm the moral outrage frenzy ye quickly descended into.

In other news, here's a picture of the German Chancellor:

Got off the plane in Australia and hit down a busy pub for a pint, well played.

Comment

LL, not to antagonise you (seriously) but you are one massive walking, talking fucking contradiction. You're always going on about growing up in Tallaght, your sympathies for the underprivileged, your highly left-wing and reactionary (if anyone in power is for it, then I'm agin' it) politics. Not to mention your unwavering espousal of, and unquestioning devotion to Sinn Fein.

Yet, you reside in fucking Goatstown. One of the most middle-class suburbs in Dublin, Alan Shatter's heartland. A far more well-off place than me, HH or Kayroo live in btw (sorry lads, it's true). I reckon you only pay lip service to these politics because you know it will infuriate peeps on the interweb and you know there is zero chance they'll ever get elected. You're a cappucino socialist of the worst kind.

If you actually lived in the kind of place that practices your brand of politics, they'd sniff you out in five minutes and have you up against the wall as a traitor to the proletariat.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                        Yet, you reside in fucking Goatstown. One of the most middle-class suburbs in Dublin, Alan Shatter's heartland. A far more well-off place than me, HH or Kayroo live in btw (sorry lads, it's true).
                                                                                                        I definitely grew up in, went to school in and currently live in far FAR more working class conditions than Lloyd for much of my life.

Not all by any means by the way, but most.

EDIT: Not that it actually makes the slightest bit of difference either. I actually have a left of centre view on politics also.
                                                                                                        Last edited by Kayroo; 15-11-14, 23:39.

Comment

...BBV help needed as always...I've spent the last 15 minutes debating whether to order Chinese or Pizza...And I am fucking starving so need to have a decision made, but cant make it myself...First response please...

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                            LL, not to antagonise you (seriously) but you are one massive walking, talking fucking contradiction. You're always going on about growing up in Tallaght, your sympathies for the underprivileged, your highly left-wing and reactionary (if anyone in power is for it, then I'm agin' it) politics. Not to mention your unwavering espousal of, and unquestioning devotion to Sinn Fein.

Yet, you reside in fucking Goatstown. One of the most middle-class suburbs in Dublin, Alan Shatter's heartland. A far more well-off place than me, HH or Kayroo live in btw (sorry lads, it's true). I reckon you only pay lip service to these politics because you know it will infuriate peeps on the interweb and you know there is zero chance they'll ever get elected. You're a cappucino socialist of the worst kind.

If you actually lived in the kind of place that practices your brand of politics, they'd sniff you out in five minutes and have you up against the wall as a traitor to the proletariat.
                                                                                                            My debt ridden parents live in Tallaght.
                                                                                                            I help my debt ridden parents out with their mortgage they will be unable to pay in Tallaght.
                                                                                                            I have volunteered for charities over the years operating in Tallaght.
                                                                                                            Yes, I rent in Goatstown. I like nice and leafy as much as the next man and I work hard and can afford to live somewhere half decent.

You're not suggesting that - in order to hold certain political views - you must live a certain way? So it's okay to be for the disadvantaged once you're disadvantaged but if you claw your way out of the gutter you must immediately assume middle class centerism? I could see how you might prefer that, but I wouldn't think you really believe it is how people need to be.

Comment

My debt ridden parents live in Tallaght.
                                                                                                              I help my debt ridden parents out with their mortgage they will be unable to pay in Tallaght.
                                                                                                              I have volunteered for charities over the years operating in Tallaght.
                                                                                                              Yes, I rent in Goatstown. I like nice and leafy as much as the next man and I work hard and can afford to live somewhere half decent.

You're not suggesting that - in order to hold certain political views - you must live a certain way? So it's okay to be for the disadvantaged once you're disadvantaged but if you claw your way out of the gutter you must immediately assume middle class centerism? I could see how you might prefer that, but I wouldn't think you really believe it is how people need to be.
                                                                                                              I suppose Paul Murphy went from Goatstown to Tallaght so maybe it was an exchange programme.

Say hi to Alan when you're picking up your almond croissants in the morning.

Comment

You let Raoul troll you way too easily there Lloyd. I expect better.

Comment

...
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 15-11-14, 23:48.

Comment

...

Comment

GAB randomly pointed out to me one day the school that Raoul went to. Couldn't quite see it through the leafiness though
                                                                                                                      Did have to get a scholarship in my defence.

It was either that or be shipped off to boarding school in Waterford, some incentive tbf

Comment

GAB randomly pointed out to me one day the school that Raoul went to. Couldn't quite see it through the leafiness though
                                                                                                                        I always assumed Raoul was home schooled by a series of inspirational tutors who prepared him for his role as a master of finance.

Comment

You let Raoul troll you way too easily there Lloyd. I expect better.
                                                                                                                          Masterful restraint by the big man. I had assumed the combination of Alan Shatter and tasty breakfast pastries would ignite the touchpaper to a good rant.

LL can live wherever he likes. Even if it is the kind of place that is the antithesis of all he allegedly holds dear.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X