This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
    Powers have them at 32.5 seats and Boyles have them at 33.5 seats.
    I'm struggling to see how they can reach those figures and think under 33.5 5/6 is big bet material. Onviously if you think 20 is a pipedream then you should be emptying your wallet on that line.

Thats really depressing.

AJ is almost always right and I'm too old to emigrate.

Lloyds 'this type of stuff (democratic discourse) doesn't work on us' and the blatantly fascistic usage of 'We' as if this was the sports team of some obscure North of England city no one wearing the badge will ever visit...

<>Got to stop before I get too annoyed
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
      A good fun competition that was, we should do it again before the next GE.

I accept your point that predicting things so far in advance is difficult. I'd argue over it being foolish though, especially on a board where its not unusual for people to do antepost bets on events years away.
      I don't mean that the bet is foolish but rather the idea of making statements with any degree of certainty.

Right now the question "If the election were held tomorrow who would you vote for?" has a drastically different connotation than it will when candidates are known, policies are in the spotlight and we are in the midst of a full scale election. It will also have quite a different answer in my own opinion.
      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Does anyone have a gif of a foot being shot.

Comment

da fuq

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                Does anyone have a gif of a foot being shot.
                Is this any use to you?

[VINE]OOXVEaVFzmE[/VINE]

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  trying to work out what this was meant to mean
                  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were suggesting that the burden on the average taxpayer in Ireland is too high, and that some of that should be shifted to the working poor, of which we have many. I was suggesting that you only think that because haven't a clue what it's like to be working poor. If I'm completely misunderstood you then I will apologise.
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Just back from seeing this movie, deffo take the kids. its very good. really enjoyed it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_dideF5qvk

However We are absolutely dying to see this! The whole Cinema was in stitches for the trailer , cant wait!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-d-V9jXYDE
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                      Is this any use to you?

[VINE]OOXVEaVFzmE[/VINE]
                      Could use more foot but the shooting part is spot on.

Comment

Comment

Wasn't it the persons choice to have the kids and put them in the creche though? He/she could have not had kids and had plenty of disposable income but chose to sacrifice the disposable income for the kids?
                          airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                              Wasn't it the persons choice to have the kids and put them in the creche though? He/she could have not had kids and had plenty of disposable income but chose to sacrifice the disposable income for the kids?
                              The State desperately wants people to have children. I cannot even begin to overhype how much the State wants this. The taxation system should not be a disincentive to this ultimate goal.

Comment

Comment

Agree. Having kids is a choice. I am a single person on minimum wage renting a room in a house (as Hitch pointed out above) and I have plenty of disposable income. By plenty I mean enough to comfortably eat each week, pay rent, have my few pints and save €100 a week minimum.

I saw a thread on boards.ie recently from a woman who was made redundant 18 months ago who is on all kinds of benefits and also expecting a baby. Her thread was basically her freaking out about how she could afford a child and where the money was gonna come from. It is plain to see from the thread that this was a planned pregnancy. My question is why dafuq would someone in her situation plan a baby. Makes no sense to me.

Comment

After the weekend I've had, I can't imagine why anyone would make that choice!

Comment

Here's the thread. Mind boggling why they'd choose to have a child if they can't afford it.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post

Thats really depressing.

AJ is almost always right and I'm too old to emigrate.

Lloyds 'this type of stuff (democratic discourse) doesn't work on us' and the blatantly fascistic usage of 'We' as if this was the sports team of some obscure North of England city no one wearing the badge will ever visit...

<>Got to stop before I get too annoyed
                                        Democratic discourse =/ mudslinging, casting aspersions and fixating on the past
                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          Very laden use of the term working poor there.

Someone with two young kids in creche on €50k is most definitely working poor in terms of disposable income, yet it seems its their duty to is pay tax for whoever your definition of working poor is rather than be able to use their income for themselves.

(seemingly working poor would include a 20-something single person earning €25k a year, maybe renting a room in a house, thus having oodles of disposable income. They essentially pay no tax, as the €50k 2-kid person above is paying extra tax to cover this working poor's part of the cost of social services)
                                          This is clearly single parent families which must be a small enough percentage when you take out the number who raise the kids alone but don't recieve anything from the other parent.

If it's a 2 parent family than they are either 2 on 25k which is low tax or one stay at home who really should look after the kids rather than pay for crèche.

Comment

Not having some form of tax credit for creche fees is disgraceful imo.

Comment

It was indeed, but that's not the point. The point is why should they have to pay extra tax, not just their fair share, but also the tax to cover the other person. Like, why is it them that have been designated as the people who pay for other people's social services?

It's also in the long-term interests of the country that kids are born, as they pay the pensions/healthcare of today's workers - so ideally the tax system wouldn't be making it impossible for people to afford to have kids just so the 20-something €25k a year guy can pay no tax.
                                              Yeah, but some one also has to pay for the children's allowance, the free preschool year, the eight years in primary, five in secondary and maybe another five in college.

Not to mention the portion of usage of other public services that will be used by families with their kids. You surely don't want to hit some poor struggling min wage guy with extra taxes to subsidise others childcare choices.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                    Democratic discourse =/ mudslinging, casting aspersions and fixating on the past
                                                    Read: Judging people based on actions they have taken while acting as the head of a political party.

Before I get too into this end of things, will you please take a min if you get a chance before Love/Hate (I am not being sarcastic when I say that) and answer the questions in my post above please? I would really appreciate an insight into your perspective.

Comment

Here's the thread. Mind boggling why they'd choose to have a child if they can't afford it.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/205731.../#post92831009
                                                      They are all at it in Africa.
                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                        Read: Judging people based on actions they have taken while acting as the head of a political party.

Before I get too into this end of things, will you please take a min if you get a chance before Love/Hate (I am not being sarcastic when I say that) and answer the questions in my post above please? I would really appreciate an insight into your perspective.
                                                        Lloyd has been asked several times to do this (quite nicely too) with no result. I doubt you will get anything worthwhile.
                                                        "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Can't see Youtube vids on phone so trying this to see if it works.

Nope. Still can't watch it.

Comment

Just to make it easier for you Lloyd, if you're on a phone or tablet and quoting a long post is a pain:

Let me ask you three very simple questions - and I would really appreciate an answer to each - as follows:

1. Do you believe that Gerry Adams has done nothing wrong with regards to Maria Cahill?

2. Do you believe that Sinn Fein members have been complicit in the protection of child sex offenders and, if not, what is the basis of your belief?

3. If it was unimpeachably proven that everything Maria Cahill said about Gerry Adams or Sinn Fein was true, would that change your opinion of them?

I'm not asking out of any sense of anti-SF bias (although I must admit I do dislike SF as a party) but rather to try and gain an understanding of the mindset of an articulate and intelligent SF voter. You are probably correct that I do not understand why anyone would vote SF, or that I do not understand the loyalty to the party, and it is for those reasons that I am asking the questions above.

Comment

Pretty decent deal this http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/the-g-hotel-and-spa-4

Comment

The booing at Taylor in darts when hes on a double just aint right but one heck of a game!

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                  Lloyd has been asked several times to do this (quite nicely too) with no result. I doubt you will get anything worthwhile.
                                                                  I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Anyone who believes their point of view isn't getting a fair shot should welcome the chance to explain it. I am genuinely coming at this with an open mind. Obviously I have my own thoughts but I am more interested in his point of view than my own for the moment.

I'd like to think that he believes in this enough to discuss it rationally. When Strewel was going to vote for the Abbeylara Amendment I spent a decent amount of time discussing my position in the face of someone who, initially at least, was unwilling to accept it. I would hope Lloyd would accept an opportunity, hell it's an invitation, to do the same!

Comment

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/205731.../#post92831009
                                                                    There is never a good time to have kids and if we all waited till we could afford it then it wont happen for a lot of people. I was working in a solicitors when I got pregnant the last time. I was made redundant when the little one was 6 months old.

A few months later FD was made redundant. Maybe we should have given the kid up as it was going to be tough to support 3 kids

The lady in question suggests she been out of school 20 years so maybe this was the last chance at having a kid and she had been trying for a long long time. Maybe being made redundant wasn't ideal but she also states she pays a mortgage.

Comment

Very laden use of the term working poor there.

Someone with two young kids in creche on €50k is most definitely working poor in terms of disposable income, yet it seems its their duty to is pay tax for whoever your definition of working poor is rather than be able to use their income for themselves.

(seemingly working poor would include a 20-something single person earning €25k a year, maybe renting a room in a house, thus having oodles of disposable income. They essentially pay no tax, as the €50k 2-kid person above is paying extra tax to cover this working poor's part of the cost of social services)
                                                                      Why do they have two kids in a crèche if there's only one income? Unless you were suggesting 50k was the combined income (I've no idea what a typical income in dublin is these days), if that's the case they'd be paying a similar amount of tax each to the 25k guy, no? A bit ridiculous to suggest he sould be penalised for frugal life choices.

Comment

Well that's a rather mean, but perfectly correct, destruction of my argument.

*whistles awkwardly*

Sorry didn't think I was being mean, destroying your argument was certainly intentional.

I don't know much about the supports in place for single parents but we can both agree that they deserve tax breaks and help with crèches.

Comment

Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                                          Yeah, but some one also has to pay for the children's allowance, the free preschool year, the eight years in primary, five in secondary and maybe another five in college.

Not to mention the portion of usage of other public services that will be used by families with their kids. You surely don't want to hit some poor struggling min wage guy with extra taxes to subsidise others childcare choices.
                                                                          Taking the long view those kids will pay for your pension and incontinence pads when you are droolingly senile. Given the alarming demographic trend of the dependency ratio in Europe, procreation should be encouraged by governments as much as possible.

Comment

Just seen Richie essentially made the same point as me.
                                                                            Sorry Hitch, didn't mean to gang up on you like that

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                              Not having some form of tax credit for creche fees is disgraceful imo.
                                                                              Damn straight! I'd say we've easily spent 100k on creche fees since our first started just over 7 years ago.

Think of all the potential degeneracy foregone.

Comment

...

Comment

Oh you weren't, can't even hold that against you. It was a perfectly well-mannered argument.
                                                                                  It also stopped you from using it on Vincent Brown or similar in the future, or even on twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                    It also stopped you from using it on Vincent Brown or similar in the future, or even on twitter.
                                                                                    I think he was briefly in the Funday Times today too. Water charges no less.

Comment

Originally posted by Jibzzzz View Post
                                                                                      saw that earlier and was so tempted! but with 2 holidays booked , I had to rethink
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                        There is never a good time to have kids and if we all waited till we could afford it then it wont happen for a lot of people. I was working in a solicitors when I got pregnant the last time. I was made redundant when the little one was 6 months old.

A few months later FD was made redundant. Maybe we should have given the kid up as it was going to be tough to support 3 kids

The lady in question suggests she been out of school 20 years so maybe this was the last chance at having a kid and she had been trying for a long long time. Maybe being made redundant wasn't ideal but she also states she pays a mortgage.
                                                                                        Completely different situation MrsF. You already had the little one and obviously we can't predict the future of redundancy etc. What I'm finding hard to understand is why people who are already struggling to make ends meet and paying mortgages would plan to bring a baby into that situation and make things harder on themselves. Makes no sense to me to heap more pressure on yourself.

Comment

Always knew Mark Sanchez was a winner

Comment

Completely different situation MrsF. You already had the little one and obviously we can't predict the future of redundancy etc. What I'm finding hard to understand is why people who are already struggling to make ends meet and paying mortgages would plan to bring a baby into that situation and make things harder on themselves. Makes no sense to me to heap more pressure on yourself.
                                                                                            Did you see the bottom of the post? Where I said it looks like the woman was basically pushing 40 and maybe wanted to have a baby basically? There really is never a good time to have a baby and I can understand when people have them when the timing doesn't seem right.

Comment

...

Comment

The cost of a child makes it all worthwhile when you have these moments no matter how broke you are , Mia has had 5 lessons and although its probably all out of tune to ye, to me its like listening to Hendrix

Its wipeout lol I told her if she can do it fully in the next 6 months I will give her 100 euro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1sW0...g5VNi2buAxqk6Q
                                                                                                Last edited by SatNav; 02-11-14, 21:07.
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                  Did you see the bottom of the post? Where I said it looks like the woman was basically pushing 40 and maybe wanted to have a baby basically? There really is never a good time to have a baby and I can understand when people have them when the timing doesn't seem right.
                                                                                                  Yeah I saw it. Still doesn't make sense to me. If you can't afford a car or a holiday you don't get them. I don't see why people have kids if they can't afford them. I don't have kids and my oh and I won't be having any in the near future cos we couldn't afford to have one. I am expecting this to be a very unpopular opinion but it's an honest opinion nevertheless.

I don't want to argue with people about it so I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree.

Comment

...

Comment

Bus fares!
                                                                                                      Obviously the article got my full and undivided attention.

Comment

Two more women in Belfast with rape allegations against a senior IRA figure.

Comment

...

Comment

Was shocked to see they've done away with the actual Funday Times part of the newspaper. When did that go?
                                                                                                            Eeeek, 2006. Shows how long since I've bought the ST as it was in it then.

Comment

Was shocked to see they've done away with the actual Funday Times part of the newspaper. When did that go?
                                                                                                              It actually is a shit paper now. The sport is the best bit and I know one of the business journos.

It's better than the Sindo.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

Comment

Relax with the sound of Alka Bilk playing the Clarinet while looking at Beach Photos
                                                                                                                    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you were suggesting that the burden on the average taxpayer in Ireland is too high, and that some of that should be shifted to the working poor, of which we have many. I was suggesting that you only think that because haven't a clue what it's like to be working poor. If I'm completely misunderstood you then I will apologise.
                                                                                                                        Hmm just think that the higher rate kicks in too early on what's still low wages. Think I covered the second part.

Comment

Can't believe I've got to watch the whole of the USA Grand Prix live !!

Now if only Rosberg would get the Finger out......

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X