Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The russians shot down an airliner in 1983 http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&...r5eIIe18DLUS7g

It has lots of conspiracy theories about it Reagan got his huge defence budget increase after this incident and the plane was well off course.

The americans shot down an Iranian airliner in 1988 over iranian air space mistaking it for an f 14 which they had sold to them in friendlier times.

Comment

Originally posted by Fearbocht View Post
      I flew that route at christmas and back.
      Namechange request please Kev

Comment

Thailand, Aus, Bali - all places friends of mine have been in recent years that fly that exact route...

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
          Go for the one you're interested in, there's a huge amount of non-monetary benefit to be had from being able to show up for work and not wanting to walk straight back out the door again.

Night shifts can be very tough and they suit some people better than others (hated them myself) but if there's an opportunity down the line to get moved to a day shift in the same role or a different one, then taking the hit for 6 months and performing well will be worth it long term.
          I have had a fair bit of Night work in the past so I know what I am getting in to on that end.

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
          Wtf, commuting for 50 minutes is frowned upon?

For your first job you should not be looking at the money which is very unimportant compared to other aspects such as job satisfaction and progression.
          Money comes with time anyway. There is a pittance between them. Sounds like Cork, no brainer, get experience in an industry you want.
          I think he had the issue with driving 50 minutes on a motorway after a nights work. I shall see what way things progress as I essentially have inherited a house in the last few weeks.
          I also don't see as much benefit renting working the hours that I would be.

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          @tipp

I'd be a bit circumspect about the gaming job. Is it essentially that you'll be phone support until a better job pops up, or is it something more? They could easily just be dangling the analytics possibility down-the-road just to get you to take this job without having the slightest intention of giving you an analytics position. You're quite pigeon-holed careerwise if you go down the phone support route. I'd personally choose the job that gives you the most solid work experience and training. For your next job in 2-3 years that's what's going to payoff.

Although maybe I'm totally wrong about the nature of the gaming job. Also worth bearing in mind that a lot of gaming analytics will inevitably be highly automated in the next few years, thus requiring less people.
          This was a big worry of mine. I could take the KK job and probably be on double the money in Dublin in 2/3 years. I was approached by an agency in relation to a role worth 32k as a graduate. I was relatively good at the job but it was pretty boring and 90% of the people in the office hate there job. They all told me run as far as I could or at very least don't come back to KK.

I think you learn about a company pretty quick and if it becomes evident after a few months that it is a dead end customer service job then I can jump ship and the Fund industry is pretty much booming so I don't think 6 months will Pigeon hole me in that career.

It was always on my mind that taking KK was the safe option but I think I would always look back and say what if.

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
          The bit in Red is probably 100% right as it is likely a different hiring manager/HR rep looking after the different departments. However it is what an individual does for their own career progression to get the subsequent ideal role that counts when they start with a company.

The bit in Green is a bit naive tbh. In my current role I have witnessed phone agents going to every differing part of the business and so many different levels. Phone agents have become Marketing Executives, Operation Executives, Team Leaders, Trainers, UX executives, Traders etc. etc.
          There are some phone agents who came in at entry level and are now P&L Managers and People Managers after a few years.

In summary once you get in the door you have a potential massive increase in influence on getting any other role within that company as long as you have a focus to do it.
          I am glad you came on with this after HH above as he had me worried and I know you work in the industry.
          Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Strange route to take; At the least I thought passenger planes were avoiding the area due to confusion over air traffic control after the Russian takeover

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
              Posters on boards saying that if the plane was shot down by a ground-based missile, it would either have to be Russians or soldiers supplied by them doing it, that the rebels wouldn't have access to the tech needed to shoot down a plane at 10,000m without Russian backing.
              The fact that an incident was reported on board might suggest a smaller missile might have hit damaging the plane & bringing it down. Far worse way to go than the plane being vapourised I would think. Hardly be any survivors from a 10km freefall though. RIP to all.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                  The fact that an incident was reported on board might suggest a smaller missile might have hit damaging the plane & bringing it down. Far worse way to go than the plane being vapourised I would think. Hardly be any survivors from a 10km freefall though. RIP to all.
                  Its not star trek
                  Planes down get vapourised by photon torpedos.
                  Ya regardless of it your dead and probably in pieces grim stuff.
                  Id say half the plane i was on last time were european not that it matters but for political reasons it might.

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                    Took two minutes to crash from 33,000 feet

Best Flight Tracker: Live Tracking Maps, Flight Status, and Airport Delays for airline flights, private/GA flights, and airports.

Comment

Comment

Passenger tweeted before take off, "If it goes missing it looks like this". Jesus.

Comment

In fairness, the vastly most likely future job for a phone agent is a phone agent. Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's just that its worth bearing that in mind if its not your ideal future job.
                          Some CS agents will be CS agents forever.

For that reason I was highlighting the need for ownership and drive of your own career progression if you do become a phone agent as entry level to get another role in the company.

Comment

Posters on boards saying that if the plane was shot down by a ground-based missile, it would either have to be Russians or soldiers supplied by them doing it, that the rebels wouldn't have access to the tech needed to shoot down a plane at 10,000m without Russian backing.
                            News services saying it was a BUK system which both the Russians and the Ukraine forces use

Comment

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post

Passenger tweeted before take off, "If it goes missing it looks like this". Jesus.
                              Sick. https://www.facebook.com/cor.pan.7?ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Some dude on boards was supposed to be on it but changed his flight!

No Irish on board apparently.

Comment

Terrible to see the comments change from enjoy the holiday dude to worrying if it was his plane. Just awful stuff.

Comment

Comment

Ugh that's horrible, poor people on facebook to see him joking around before leaving and now this. Pix up now of the wreckage and you can see sick on the outside of a sick bag etc. Horrible stuff. RIP.

Comment

Role this and role that
                                        Whatever happened to applying for a job or being offered a job? Roles are for actors.

Comment

23 US citizens onboard according to Ukraine news sources
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I didn't think anyone had the technology to drop a plane at 10,000m with a ground missile. That would be some next level shit

our very own @sligboi posting some highly tasteless stuff on twitter. think he's trying to be funny.
                                            that the lad that used to post here? I thought he was sound

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                              I didn't think anyone had the technology to drop a plane at 10,000m with a ground missile. That would be some next level shit
                                              Fairly standard I would have thought?

Comment

Genuinely was confused to find one unrelated tweet from years ago and only one follower when I looked him up.

Turns up I had searched @sligoboi
                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                  Fairly standard I would have thought?
                                                  I dunno you would need some way to mark the moving target which would be pretty difficult without some kind of air support.

Im only guessing ive really no idea

Comment

I dunno you would need some way to mark the moving target which would be pretty difficult without some kind of air support.

Just use radar, Cuba managed to shoot down a high-altitude U-2 back in the sixties

Comment

is this the same sligoboi that posts here?

Comment

Sligo 1 up away to Rosenborg

Comment

A 777 is a pretty big target.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                            Sligo 1 up away to Rosenborg
                                                            2-0 now. Fuck you BBV curse

Comment

Tough with a stone and I have a decent arm on me but with radar and heat guided missile hitting a large and plane moving in a straight line it would not be to complicated a job.

Obviously very expensive piece of equipment required.

Comment

2-0 now. Fuck you BBV curse
                                                                uh oh 2-1

Comment

This was the post made claiming to have done it, quickly deleted:

AN-26 airplane was shot down near Torez, it fell somewhere behind the mine "Progress".
                                                                  We warned - do not fly in "our sky".
                                                                  And here is the video proof of another "bird-fall" (bird = slang for an airplane).
                                                                  Another bird fell behind the spoil tip, residential areas were not affected.
                                                                  No civilians were harmed.

This is what supposedly shot it down:

Comment

Siigh, does anyone know if Irish derby is NRNB after betting yest?

Comment

Last edited by Guest; 17-07-14, 19:11.

Comment

Rosenborg 1 Sligo 2 FT

Irish teams having a great season in Europe, although Dundalk 1-0 down at home to Split threatning to ruin it

Comment

Oh Ernie

Comment

Comment

uh oh 2-1
                                                                              Morten Gamst Pederson lining out for Rosenborg. Decent scalp and 2 away goals. Hopefully Dundalk can peg Split back.

Comment

Israel has begun a ground offensive in Gaza.

Opr

Comment

...

Comment

Not sure the ProRussians are getting away with this.
                                                                                    might as well be the regular Russian army (as that's where the arms came from)

the only upside is that Putin should see some serious repercussions from this
                                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                      might as well be the regular Russian army (as that's where the arms came from)

the only upside is that Putin should see some serious repercussions from this
                                                                                      If Obama was quick of the mark here he could just lash these (pro)Russian force out of it with Air strikes and Puttin could do f all about it, given what's happened. may give the forces on the ground a chance to take back some key points and then role in a "Peace keeping" force to know them right back

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                        If Obama was quick of the mark here he could just lash these (pro)Russian force out of it with Air strikes and Puttin could do f all about it, given what's happened.
                                                                                        Are you completely divorced from reality?

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by pgodkin View Post
                                                                                              If Obama was quick of the mark here he could just lash these (pro)Russian force out of it with Air strikes and Puttin could do f all about it, given what's happened. may give the forces on the ground a chance to take back some key points and then role in a "Peace keeping" force to know them right back
                                                                                              Ah ya sure an old nuclear escalation be great craic start buying tinned foods now.

Comment

I'm thinking regular Russian forces would know the difference between a passenger plane and a military aircraft. Its a 40 year old tank that Russians and Ukrainians use.

FML do not look at any of the photos on the reddit.
                                                                                                I won't.

No, the point is that these rebels are Russian trained and equipped and operate with Putin's full support. They're a proxy army. Like Hezbollah for example (but more in favour of vodka).

Comment

Then maybe he can drop a few bombs in Israel to stop them bombing kids
                                                                                                  Or in the Gaza Strip to stop them, er, bombing kids.

Hamas are insane. The Egyptian ceasefire debacle just proves it. Dead kids are grist to their mill.

Comment

...

Comment

Imagine being a plane that is hit by a missile and goes down, fucking hell. Horrifying stuff.
                                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

...

Comment

Think the Israelis have the Gaza Strip bombing part covered. Can't imagine the four kids bombed while playing on the beach were yet fully fledged members of Hamas.
                                                                                                          The point is that they launch hundreds of (admittedly ineffective) missiles at Israel, hide their activity in densely populated civilian areas and refuse to accept outside mediation.

Israel accepted the Egyptian ceasefire. Those kids would be alive now if Hamas had done likewise.

Comment

I need to listen to the news more I have no idea whats going on in Russia or Gaza

Comment

Reports of 22 US citizens on board. Any guesses regarding possible repercussions?

What if some of the passengers were UK citizens? Yanks and brits have a chat and shit gets real?

Comment

Whats the likely actions now?
                                                                                                                Was the plane intentionally sent into hostile airspace.
                                                                                                                Troops on the ground is out of the question
                                                                                                                and the UN is really as useless as tits on a bull.

Comment

Originally posted by darwinatemyhamster View Post
                                                                                                                  Reports of 22 US citizens on board. Any guesses regarding possible repercussions?

What if some of the passengers were UK citizens? Yanks and brits have a chat and shit gets real?
                                                                                                                  Sanctions.

Comment

I need to listen to the news more I have no idea whats going on in Russia or Gaza
                                                                                                                    Better off stick to the blood lettings and leeches nothing but depressing shit in the news.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                      Sanctions.
                                                                                                                      No sanctions when the Brits and Americans bombed Iraq back to the middle ages looking for non existent wmds.

Comment

...

Comment

Humans are idiots mostly.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X