This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
    I always assumed 15% was standard, and expected. 10% would be an intentional insult/indication you weren't happy. 20% or more when the waiter gave you a blow job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4sbYy0WdGQ
    I don't know where you're getting these figures from. 15% is standard American tipping because they get paid about $3 an hour. Standard in Ireland is about 10% as staff get over 8 euro an hour minimum and often quite a bit more. I'd pay about 12.5% if service was excellent and 15% if it was exceptional and I had an unforgettable experience in a restaraunt

Comment

Originally posted by conspicuous View Post
      I don't know where you're getting these figures from. 15% is standard American tipping because they get paid about $3 an hour. Standard in Ireland is about 10% as staff get over 8 euro an hour minimum and often quite a bit more. I'd pay about 12.5% if service was excellent and 15% if it was exceptional and I had an unforgettable experience in a restaraunt
      This

20% is just stupid.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Yeah, I experienced tipping (both giving and receiving) for the first time in NY about 26 years ago, and mostly carried on with those figures. Don't eat out often enough for it to be an issue tbh.
        Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Yeah, 20% seems a bit mad alright. 15% is my usual.

Just wasn't sure if there was an unspoken cap, didn't want to drop €90 as a tip and have them look at me like I was crazy. Also didn't want to drop €40 and have them think I was a miserable bastard.

Don't think I've ever tipped more than about €30.
          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Massive scrap in the Eagles Redskins game, players getting ejected and everything. Great fun

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
              Anyone done any research on toasters? The bread type, not masons! Really frustrated with trying to find one that might be able to do irregular sized bread. The fact that some bread is made to fit toasters pisses me off big time.
              Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
              Why not just get a 4 slice toaster and put the bread sideways? There are plenty of those available to buy.
              Yup. Got this one in Argos today. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-VTT...ywords=toaster

Nothing spectacular, but toasted a slice of batch loaf, which doesn't really work on a grill, unless you flip it every 15 seconds or so as it becomes convex or concave, depending on your frame of reference.

Comment

Went out for dinner today and bill came to €75.80 and gave a tenner tip which seems about right to me.

Comment

Originally posted by NiceandcoolTrig View Post
                  O'Sullivan walked out on Connacht the day before they were supposed to go on a pre season tour. He walked out on Galwegians mid fuckin season. He had some nerve to even apply for the job. They met him for a chat and told him he wouldn't be getting an interview. More than he deserved given his past treatment of Connacht imo.

It's early doors of course and some of the stats are a bit worrying. But Dave Heffernan's throwing will continue to improve (converted from flanker only 18 months ago) and his tackling was phenomenal the last night, he was everywhere. Carried well too. Our backline will get better as the season goes on too. 10 is a concern but Carty played reasonably well Friday and whilst he missed a very gettable penalty early on, he also showed bottle to slot a tough enough conversion. Craig Ronaldson was very impressive when he came on pinging the ball into corners in Leinster 22.

Muldoon is underrated by people because he spent all his career at Connacht. Had he gone to Munster he would have at a minimum hit double digits in caps imo.

Obviously we'll have some bad nights (Glasgow next Friday might be one) but confident Connacht will be in top 6 come end of season.
                  Losing Henshaw next season could have a big impact. Reckon top 6 will be a push to be honest. Thought Mcsharry looked very good defensively but still needs work in attack.

Comment

I have nearly a stone weight lost in 2 months , hubby home friday and hopefully will see the change! random post but shur fuck it had to share
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                        I had an amazing steak tonight. I am looking forward to writing a trip report. Pure quality.
                        Ha! Read that as 'streak' and wanted pics
                        Last edited by ComradeCollie; 21-09-14, 21:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                          Was out at a meal in Russia in a top place and it was my treat. Gave a bundle of money to the waiter at the end of the night to pay bill and tip. Thought was around bill amount + 15%. Next thing all the waiters called over to the table to say thanks. Then the head guy comes over with a bottle of some spirits and starts liberally pouring it for us repeatedly without charge with a look on his face of a man who was going to upgrade his car. Kinda shudder to think how much was actually in that bundle of cash I handed over that night.
                          Really hope it was with your wife, and not some random 'stripper'.

Comment

Was out at a meal in Russia in a top place and it was my treat. Gave a bundle of money to the waiter at the end of the night to pay bill and tip. Thought was around bill amount + 15%. Next thing all the waiters called over to the table to say thanks. Then the head guy comes over with a bottle of some spirits and starts liberally pouring it for us repeatedly without charge with a look on his face of a man who was going to upgrade his car. Kinda shudder to think how much was actually in that bundle of cash I handed over that night.
                            How much in €€€ did you think you were giving him? How expensive was it compared to what you'd expect to pay in Dublin for the equivalent? You were in St Petersburg, ya?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Loopz View Post
                                Went out for dinner today and bill came to €75.80 and gave a tenner tip which seems about right to me.
                                Just got dominos came to €18 and a tipped €2.
                                People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

What is the premise behind tipping in restarants anyway? Isn't the job adequately paid and easy unless the restaurant is jammed? I wouldn't mind tipping the chef solely but I don't see why waiters are tipped so often.

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                    What is the premise behind tipping in restarants anyway? Isn't the job adequately paid and easy unless the restaurant is jammed? I wouldn't mind tipping the chef solely but I don't see why waiters are tipped so often.
                                    Where I am the chef's get nothing from the tips. The restaurant staff and housekeeping etc keep it all. Even although there are many in there on min wage.

I have given money specifically to the chef before and made sure they got it. The work that is put in to a meal deserves to be recognised and not just the service of it.

Comment

TBH I only tip if the service is good - regardless of the food quality... I've no qualms sending food back to the kitchen if it's below par.

I usually tip 10% in Ireland, maybe slightly more if bill is below 100 and I'm rounding it up. I tip 20% if I go to the States as I know the wages are pittance there; I remember seeing this guy tipping a doorman $10 just for calling him a taxi and thinking "that's too much!" til I found out the Doorman gets $100pw for working 40-45 hours... Tips are essential in USA, not so much in Ireland IMO. Most places retain a % of pooled tips before distributing it to the staff.

Comment

Surely the restaurants should be incentivising the performance of staff.
                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Just in the door at home after a day that started at 6am. But what a day. I think the majority of Kerry fans travelled in hope more than expectation but my god am I happy I went. Have to give a massive thanks to Careca, hooked me up with a ticket at very short notice when a man with his contacts must have had no shortage of takers. Just one of the many reasons I love IPB.

Will have to watch the game again but thought it wasn't the best football match ever. Both teams had a game plan and stuck to it religiously, to Donegals own detriment imo. Paul Murphy, we knew he had a blinder. Stuck in everything and took his point well. I know the man very well and you couldn't meet a nicer fella. Absolutely deserves the MoM award. Not bad for a fella who got dropped from the minor team for being too small.

Everything's a bit of a blur right now and I'm probably rambling but words can't express todays feeling. Thanks again Careca, much appreciated.

Almost forgot, I think there's one thing all fans can agree on, Kerry Donegal Dublin Mayo. Brolly can go and take a jump. Man talks complete bollox and I'm delighted Donaghy gave him a mention today. Anyway, work tomorrow. Night all.

Comment

Anyone watching Intruders, any good ?
                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                              Aren't you already paying for excellent food and superior service with a 600 bill anyway?
                                              that would be my understanding, you pay for the quality of both food and service...then pay more for service? I would view tips as service above expected, and I'd expect a lot from a good place anyway.

Or is this some kind of thing where the food is 10-15% cheaper than it would be otherwise wihtout tips, so cheap cunts like me can tip less or not at all and the rest of you pay for us, cheers.
                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-09-14, 23:15.

Comment

Comment

Here we go Denver here we go.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                    You getting into NFL this time?

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                      You getting into NFL this time?
                                                      I now leave it on instead of giving up a quarter in.

Comment

This too shall pass.

Comment

...Myself and a couple of mates are thinking of fucking off somewhere on a piss up foreign for a couple of days...Basically Ryanair flights are on special, it work out at about 40 pp...One of the lads mentioned Oslo but flights don't seem to be on Monday Wednesday or Friday. I said I'd have a proper look, and of course that meant sneak on here and ask people who know shite and are brilliant at this stuff...Where would people recommend...possibly cheap, possibly nice weather, and preferably full of slutty sex bombs...

Comment

Comment

... go to somewhere tindertastic obv...
                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

It would appear to solve all of the problems of there/their/they're some people have now started to posting the word 'dare'.

I don't even know what to......
                                                                Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Dare be mistooks errryweire doooglas...

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                    Oh Dear ... Barry John

Really and truly thats chavball level stuff

But the angleshooting worked so I guess thats ok then
                                                                    That was my favourite thing

Comment

Fuuuck!!! I am way overtipping then!

This is the part I am kind of struggling with in LA. I usually try and go for a middle ground between 15 - 20% and usually let my satisfaction with the service determine which side of the range to tip on.

One thing I hate is tipping for valet. I am more than happy to get my own car from the garage but not allowed. So have to wait 10mins or so for my car which is parked less than 20 yards away to be brought to me and then tip 2/3 bucks for that

Have the feeling the reason it takes so long is because I only tip when I leave the place but not when I arrive. Two can play that game though as I try and get there 10mins before I actually need the car.
                                                                      No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Muricans are clowns tbf. What a silly country.

Comment

Muricans are clowns tbf. What a silly country.
                                                                          Fantastic women though...
                                                                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                            Fuuuck!!! I am way overtipping then!

This is the part I am kind of struggling with in LA. I usually try and go for a middle ground between 15 - 20% and usually let my satisfaction with the service determine which side of the range to tip on.

One thing I hate is tipping for valet. I am more than happy to get my own car from the garage but not allowed. So have to wait 10mins or so for my car which is parked less than 20 yards away to be brought to me and then tip 2/3 bucks for that

Have the feeling the reason it takes so long is because I only tip when I leave the place but not when I arrive. Two can play that game though as I try and get there 10mins before I actually need the car.
                                                                            Might(prob 25%, waiting on a friend) be in Portland in a few weeks, might pop down for a few brewskies
                                                                            Last edited by mdoug; 22-09-14, 05:40.
                                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                              ...Myself and a couple of mates are thinking of fucking off somewhere on a piss up foreign for a couple of days...Basically Ryanair flights are on special, it work out at about 40 pp...One of the lads mentioned Oslo but flights don't seem to be on Monday Wednesday or Friday. I said I'd have a proper look, and of course that meant sneak on here and ask people who know shite and are brilliant at this stuff...Where would people recommend...possibly cheap, possibly nice weather, and preferably full of slutty sex bombs...
                                                                              Los Angeles?
                                                                              Go big or go homeless.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by luckforsome View Post
                                                                                    We went to Poland on a similar trip, place called bydgoszdh, tiny town in Poland but great craic, nice town square and good night life. Cheap and good fun, stayed one night there and was great craic, locals friendly.

All your criteria will be met!

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                                                      Will have to watch the game again but thought it wasn't the best football match ever..
                                                                                      Understatement alert! It was pure shite.

The contrast between that muck and the hurling was immense. GAA should be evangelising hurling to the max.
                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Applying standard tipping percentages to a place like Chapter 1 is excessive imo.

Comment

...thanks for replies all...that place tallin has been mentioned here a few Times, and good reviews every time so might push for that...on a different note, would the guys installing water meters get paid by the day or by the amount of meters they install...still around my area,but 4 oaps and three unemployed people with nothing better to do are literally going from road to road trying to be the street hero...
                                                                                          1.I feel bad if their getting paid by the amount of meters they install, as their out to earn a living and earn wages.
                                                                                          2. If they are getting paid regardless, then all the protesters are doing are increasing the costs of overall installation which will probably be placed onto our water bills, which will be paid eventually anyway...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                              will it be possible to get two tickets for the hurling next saturday while up there. ?Myself and himself will be in Dublin that day as its his birthday. IF anyone here could get me two I would be eternally grateful or maybe even know of someone.
                                                                                              Two beside each other? Terrace or stand? I do not think you will pick up two stand beside each other on the day. Ye both will get tickets on the day if ye are not fussy.
                                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Cant wait for the weekly journal.ie article on what some english twats on twitter thought of yesterdays a.i . I suppose at least i wont have to read 'what is this, its like hockey crossed with murder' for the billionth time this summer #inferiority complex #needapatontheheadfromthebrits

Comment

Can we have more stories of your romantic conquests tipp?

Comment

Lol at tipping 20% for anything in ireland ever even if you did get a blow job from waiter/waitress/both at the same time

Comment

Think you essentially want to tip what everyone else tips for the chefs table at Chapter One. Loads of people here have done that meal, haven't they? zuut lives there afair
                                                                                                      Have been a few times. Usually a bit too drunk by the end to remember what I type into the card machine. I would imagine about 12% though.

Comment

Can someone explain why there is so much love for the nexus /one plus one? Are they miles ahead of whats on available on contract here?

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                                          That was my favourite thing
                                                                                                          I suppose it was more entertaining than anything else going on on the pitch
                                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            I suppose it was more entertaining than anything else going on on the pitch
                                                                                                            Cliffs on Kerry shenanigans?
                                                                                                            ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                                                                                Cliffs on Kerry shenanigans?
                                                                                                                Late on a Kerry player got fouled, he then totally exaggerated the effects to try to get his opponent redcarded and to eat up the clock.

It was beautiful to see, about time our gaa sportsmen started displaying the savvy, street smarts and cynicism that define sports worldwide.
                                                                                                                Brought a tear of pride to the eye.

Comment

...

Comment

Been growing a beard for a week now and have achieved a grand total of what can best be described as a small bit of stubble. This is going to take fcking ages.
                                                                                                                    What did you have for breakfast?

Comment

Think you essentially want to tip what everyone else tips for the chefs table at Chapter One. Loads of people here have done that meal, haven't they? zuut lives there afair
                                                                                                                      Why would you do what others do? Too much caring about that in what people do.

Tipping of random service industries and not others is rather silly no? Tipping a status quo, also a bit special.
                                                                                                                      Some people tip no matter what which I find astounding.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X