This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
    I'm still with the WHO on this one. Cigarettes are banned from public areas with good reason. It's most reasonable to put the same ban on e cigs until we know what we are dealing with
    Direct from the school of ban mobile phones on planes because nothing

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
      Also there is a valid medical argument that, even if second-hand eCig vapour is slightly unhealthy for non-smokers, the net health benefit for society of getting millions of smokers off tobacco is a greater win.
      **Spoiler Alert!** Short clip of the Greater Good scene

Comment

Blatant brag!

With all the e-cig talk. I am off the fags one year this week. Used e-cigs for the first few days and patches for a few months until I forgot to wear a patch to work one night. Spent the whole night sweating and shaking like a leaf but haven't had a bad craving since. Must have been all the shite leaving my body.

To anyone still trying to quit or thinking of quitting. Stay with it. It is definitely worth it, financially and physically. Also the hardest and best thing I have ever done. I really hope I can stay off them now.

Comment

Also there is a valid medical argument that, even if second-hand eCig vapour is slightly unhealthy for non-smokers, the net health benefit for society of getting millions of smokers off tobacco is a greater win.
          I don't think that would be considered a valid medical or moral argument at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
            Gorilla glass or an equivalent?
            Yep, Gorilla Glass 3

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
              This was a shop bet, that different?

Edit to say, cos I didn't get it. big drift from 10/3 that I took to 8/1 !!
              Its singles only in the shops I have just found out.

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
              Blatant brag!

With all the e-cig talk. I am off the fags one year this week. Used e-cigs for the first few days and patches for a few months until I forgot to wear a patch to work one night. Spent the whole night sweating and shaking like a leaf but haven't had a bad craving since. Must have been all the shite leaving my body.

To anyone still trying to quit or thinking of quitting. Stay with it. It is definitely worth it, financially and physically. Also the hardest and best thing I have ever done. I really hope I can stay off them now.
              The second time you quit it gets easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                At the moment we have banned ones that give off smoke but allowing the other ones (due to having to cross a full house to see if it's an e-cig or a drunk fuck with an actual cig)
                This in the pub? Do your rival pubs have the same policy as I'd have thought your total ban policy would just lead to people going to other pubs.

Your reason for the ban seems a fairly terrible reason btw. "Because a lazy look from distance sometimes means a product kinda looks like a banned product therefore we'll ban it". WTF. It's even worse than BKs 'until we know what we are dealing with'.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                  I don't think that would be considered a valid medical or moral argument at all.
                  Nope. Medical science is a constantly-evolving tradeoff of risk/reward decisions. Health authorities make maximum-utility decisions like this all the time.

Obviously this example does hinge on the health effect of second-hand vapour being negligible. Which, until new information comes along, it is.
                  "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

This is a great prank!
                    FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/sawardegaSUBSCRIBE: http://www.youtube.com/user/wardegasa?sub_confirmation=1Muzyka pochodzi z katalogów X-Ray Dog, Kosinus ...
                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                      This in the pub? Do your rival pubs have the same policy as I'd have thought your total ban policy would just lead to people going to other pubs.

Your reason for the ban seems a fairly terrible reason btw. "Because a lazy look from distance sometimes means a product kinda looks like a banned product therefore we'll ban it". WTF. It's even worse than BKs 'until we know what we are dealing with'.
                      That's the reason the HSE gave for banning them on hospital grounds. They don't want cigarette smokers to mistakenly think it's ok to smoke.

I'm all for restrictions on them tbh, similar to cigarettes in public areas, busses, hospitals, cinema etc. If we're serious about promoting their efficacy in eliminating smoking in society well I think we should be uncomfortable with reversing the recent trend towards stigmatising smoking.

I'm confident given my own anecdotal experience that e-cigs pose little or no health risk but I do take on board concerns that society in general stands to lose if smoking is de-stigmatised.

Vaping areas in pubs would be cool though.
                      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post

Lazy?
                        Push through 50-100 or so people on a sold out night to see it's nothing!

*venue not a pub; best too keep same rule through whole place imo

** & seeing as on average it's less than 5 people a week, during the quiet times most ask beforehand and are fine with smoking them in the garden (not one person has thrown a hissy fit)

It is having less effect on business than you seem to think
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-09-14, 14:11. Reason: **

Comment

Performed on network 2 coverage of italia 90 just before we were due to play Italy.A goal by Italian player Salvatore Schillaci put us out of the world cup o...

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                            That's the reason the HSE gave for banning them on hospital grounds. They don't want cigarette smokers to mistakenly think it's ok to smoke.

I'm all for restrictions on them tbh, similar to cigarettes in public areas, busses, hospitals, cinema etc. If we're serious about promoting their efficacy in eliminating smoking in society well I think we should be uncomfortable with reversing the recent trend towards stigmatising smoking.

I'm confident given my own anecdotal experience that e-cigs pose little or no health risk but I do take on board concerns that society in general stands to lose if smoking is de-stigmatised.

Vaping areas in pubs would be cool though.
                            I agree, in my Spanish class on Wednesday, I put the vape in front of me on the desk and after a few whispers between a married couple beside me they switched seats. Made me feel uncomfortable about using it in class so I'll knock it on the head until lessons are finished in future. Fair nuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post

The second time you quit it gets easier.
                              This is my fourth attempt!

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                  This is my fourth attempt!
                                  Ya but you're a year off them now. Thats fantastic stuff and you just need to be careful from here on in. don't get all cocky and think that was handy, i could do it again, cos you'll be back on them before you know it. Take yourself out of situations where you'll be tempted or recognise the danger before you go there (ie house parties, etc). Over time you'll think about them less and less and you'll eventually be sure that you'll never touch one again.

Strangely after 16 years I still have the odd dream where I've had one and I'd wake up disgusted with myself

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                    Direct from the school of ban mobile phones on planes because nothing
                                    On the phone so il be able to properly debate this later but the above is a straw man argument and you know it.

To answer andy's second quote first that's an economical issue and not a medical one. Besides why should we risk the health of the general population to remedy the health of those who's ill health was self inflicted.

It will be 10 years before there is enough research to draw a conclusion on e-cigs. Those advocating them would do well to remember they are not the only alternative to smoking. I don't like the impression people give that it's either e-cigs or smoking. Whatever happened to nicotine replacement and willpower?

Anyway I'm still on the fence until some proper research comes out. I don't have a problem with people smoking e-cigs but I think it's reasonable to confine it to areas that one can currently smoke I.e. Not in public buildings

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post

Whatever happened to nicotine replacement and willpower?
                                      Oh my. Really?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                          Tilt-booked the winter holiday in Marrakesh. Never booked a sun holiday before and those package holidays are such a nightmare to navigate. Fairly simple requirement that the place has some sort of kids club that's open in the winter for a few hours a day seems like something that no package company has ever considered.

Ended up going for two weeks all-inclusive in Riu Tikida Palmeraie, with the only catch being that we have to pretend the kid is 4 to get her into the kids playgroup (should be grand?). Heard some slightly dodgy things about Morocco, but guess it'll probably be fine in a resort.
                                          Morocco/Marrakech is great. Except it wasn't hot when we got there!

We went in March and turned up in shorts and t shirts. It was 10/12 degrees each day we were there.

Make sure to get a Hammam, don't read what they are. Just go get one. Full works.
                                          Day trips to Zagorah / desert and some of the geographical wonders are great too.

Comment

We know what we are dealing with. It's vapourised propylene glysol.
                                            Vapourised propylene glysol ....
                                            That is warm water that has been filtered through the alveoli or whatever you call them of some possibly diseased humans lung and spat out into the atmosphere in a convenient droplet form for everyone to share.

Sounds like a great idea to just go ahead and make that the new public norm so that chronic addicts can feel comfortable about not having to deal with their addiction

BK any research done into the effect of these vapours in the spread of diseases like tb?
                                            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Those advocating them would do well to remember they are not the only alternative to smoking. I don't like the impression people give that it's either e-cigs or smoking. Whatever happened to nicotine replacement and willpower?
                                              My own experience, which chimes with everyone else's: Quitting tobacco is ludicrously easier with an eCig than with any other method. It's a night-and-day difference, it really is.
                                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                BK any research done into the effect of these vapours in the spread of diseases like tb?

You're really clutching at straws now, SP.

Comment

That is warm water that has been filtered through the alveoli or whatever you call them of some possibly diseased humans lung and spat out into the atmosphere in a convenient droplet form for everyone to share.
                                                  What is the difference between this and normal "fresh air"? I'm pretty sure that most of what I breathe has been breathed in / out before no?

Also, isn't the argument that the difference between a normal cigarette and an e-cig being that the lungs of the user are far less damaged/diseased whilst they're still getting their nicotine hit?

Completing the logic steps, shouldn't you be absolutely rooting for e-cigs to be adopted so as to improve the general fresh air that people breathe in because the lung damage caused by cigarettes has been minimised?
                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 05-09-14, 14:53.

Comment

E-cigs cause Ebola is where this argument is inexorably lurching.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                                                        I agree, in my Spanish class on Wednesday, I put the vape in front of me on the desk and after a few whispers between a married couple beside me they switched seats. Made me feel uncomfortable about using it in class so I'll knock it on the head until lessons are finished in future. Fair nuff.
                                                        Quite independently of any health questions any time I have ever seen someone using an electronic cigarette in an indoor place that would be very inappropriate to smoke (e.g. a theatre) I have thought "wanker". The most noxious fumes emanating from them are self satisfied smugness.

Comment

Morocco pretty damn dodgy lol, siters husband is from there. Can't even name your baby certain things or the king will smite you. Should be fine though and can get iphones for 80e. However if you hold it in your hand in public you'll be robbed. plenty of cats though. Enjoy!

Comment

Are there any available clips of Shane McGowan performing before he was an absolute wreck?

I imagined that he must have been ruined by drink and drugs after he became 'famous', so surely there's some lucid-ish performances to be found?

Comment

Any studies into the effect e-cigs have on the serious dose of Me-Fein most smokers seem to have?

Comment

A lot of your posts on the issue have had a knee jerkish sense of hysteria about them as does a great deal of media commentary.

You make a lot of points I agree with but I think overall you're taking a very negative view of it.
                                                                Really???
                                                                Vapourised propylene glysol ....

Sounds like a great idea to just go ahead and make that the new public norm so that chronic addicts can feel comfortable about not having to deal with their addiction

I wasn't in a position to go searching last time, I knew you'd relieve me of the bother.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                  Lol, that is fuckin freaky dude.
                                                                  Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Waterford Whispers RTÉ delivers as usual!

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                      Morocco pretty damn dodgy lol, siters husband is from there. Can't even name your baby certain things or the king will smite you. Should be fine though and can get iphones for 80e. However if you hold it in your hand in public you'll be robbed. plenty of cats though. Enjoy!
                                                                      This is the best and most random report of Morocco ever.

Also, the leaving out of the 's' in sister makes it sound like you have a baby sitter without having a baby. Which is porntastic.

Comment

Just after doing 9 night shifts in a row...nice welcome to night work. The bonus is im off now until Monday and an all Ireland final to look forward to.

Anyone any tips on how not to have to queue for 45 minutes to get in to coppers tomorrow night...other than the obvious do not go there?
                                                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                          Just after doing 9 night shifts in a row...nice welcome to night work. The bonus is im off now until Monday and an all Ireland final to look forward to.

Anyone any tips on how not to have to queue for 45 minutes to get in to coppers tomorrow night...other than the obvious do not go there?
                                                                          Become a guard
                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

Borrow a pair of crutches, ldo.

Comment

Like I said it will take a long time for any meaningful research to be published on e-cigs and most stuff at the moment is speculation or focusing on short term. Give it a few years and see how it affects lung cancer and COPD rates and then decide if you are pro or anti ecigs.

Very willing to change my opinion when more concrete evidence comes out. After all 50% of what I've been taught is wrong we just don't know which 50% yet

Comment

Stay in the hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
                                                                                  Borrow a pair of crutches, ldo.
                                                                                  Most doormen won't allow you in to a nightclub with crutches.

Claim hazard.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                    Stay in the hotel.
                                                                                    I looked in to that and the price was insane by the time I was looking. My suggestion that we try somewhere different was met with disapproving looks.
                                                                                    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

I looked in to that and the price was insane by the time I was looking. My suggestion that we try somewhere different was met with disapproving looks.
                                                                                      Go early, get stamp, leave and come back.

Get a Gold Card.

Or else just queue.

Comment

Juts slip the door man €50 to let you jump the queue? Works for me everytime.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                                          This is the best and most random report of Morocco ever.

Also, the leaving out of the 's' in sister makes it sound like you have a baby sitter without having a baby. Which is porntastic.
                                                                                          If I type fast without thinking everything I write comes out like that, I feel I covered teh country well. I've a lot of thinking to do re babysitter coming along and there is no child, for the bank later. King smote the baby.

I'm considering buying some speakers based on this description on a site:

The speakers offer 10 watts of RMS power, so you can screw to a party, sit on the volume and still can hear. Subtle details. The result? A broad sweet spot that gives you rich, balanced sound in and between all corners of the room. So go ahead and make dance.

Comment

I would hope that nobody would waste research resources on trying to link tb and ecigs as it would be as usefull as putting more research into smallpox which is I think the only disease we have completley gotten rid of. Comments like that are clearly the best PR for the pro ecig side tho

I would say that I am perfectly fine with banning vaping in certain places such as restaurants, theatres, cinemas, buses etc but more because of it being kinda rude rather than dangerous but that is clearly an opinion rather than a proof thing.

As it grows in poularity bars will probably move towards vaping sections or bars will allow vaping and others wont but an all out indoor ban I would say will be unlikley. I generally ask when I go to the pub now and some mind and some dont but having to go outside is not a huge issue so I dont really mind.

The one place where i think it could have a positive impact is actually in hospitals tho. We all know that patients sneak out for a smoke and there are those who are bedridden and end stage in whatever illness they have. Forcing them to go through withdrawls when they are already dying anyway seems now quite needless when they can vape instead and it will bridge the gap. Just an opinion again aand one I am sure will be shot down heavily.

Kinda surprised that ecigs dont fall into the nrt area myself as it seems like a fairly arbitary difference between nicotine spray and an ecig for instance.

Comment

It's official - "Medicine: It's a flip!"

We probably shouldn't advertise this or the drunkards on a Saturday night will have to compete in A&E with masses of Asians looking for action.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                Go early, get stamp, leave and come back.
                                                                                                If memory serves me right on AI night I think the queue is crazy before the door even opens.....could be wrong on that. I suppose the 45 minutes might sober me up a bit, it could be a blessing in disguise.
                                                                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

If memory serves me right on AI night I think the queue is crazy before the door even opens.....could be wrong on that. I suppose the 45 minutes might sober me up a bit, it could be a blessing in disguise.
                                                                                                  Sobering up for 45 minuites in a que to get into a place followed by and nice long bar que and still being in coopers at the end of it.

That is an incredibly well disguised blessing all right. I am so glad that I will likley never end up in coopers again and am praying I have not just bbv myself.

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                                                                    Sobering up for 45 minuites in a que to get into a place followed by and nice long bar que and still being in coopers at the end of it.

That is an incredibly well disguised blessing all right. I am so glad that I will likley never end up in coopers again and am praying I have not just bbv myself.
                                                                                                    That and the fact it was a farmer sausagefest whenever I set foot in it.

Pretty sure I was the most feminine thing in there 90% of the time due to the fact I'd showered at some point in the previous week

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                                      Juts slip the door man €50 to let you jump the queue? Works for me everytime.
                                                                                                      Ring Semibluff at 3am to come down and get you in
                                                                                                      Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                      https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

@ AndyFB

When you get some time I suggest having a read of this article in the latest edition of Psychotherapy Networker magazine on a brief history of psychoactive drugs. Now you may not be that interested in the topic (though I think it's pretty interesting), but I'd like to draw your attention to the social life cycle of each one, particularly the initial stage.

Comment

...

Comment

Most doormen won't allow you in to a nightclub with crutches.

Claim hazard.
                                                                                                            Tipp wouldn't have a leg to stand on if it went to court.

Comment

Advice needed

I would appreciate some feedback/advice on this issue...

I've an 8 year old Volvo, I brought it from my mother in June 2012 - it's a great car, apart from one nigging thing ...

In October 2012 an message started appearing intermittently saying "Anti Skid Service Required" - I brought it to a Volvo garage and they said it was just needed a air filter replaced and the message went. Two months later it was back and I returned to the garage where another error was found and fixed, but the message came back... In January 2013 I was informed (and internet searches at the time more or less confirmed this) that it was just a quirky blip and it was "doing no harm" as nothing was showing on the computers or could be seen to set it off...

Fast forward to this year - I brought it for a NCT couple of weeks ago and it failed because of this message - I was told by NCT that it was a problem with the brakes and I need to get it fixed. Brought it to my local garage as the Volvo garage I normally went to, closed down last year. The local garage said it was a well known fault in the ABS and that only the Volvo garages can fix these...

I went to the nearest Volvo service centre and was told "yes it's a known issue due to a faulty part but the goodwill offer to replace/fix these finished in August 2013"

And if I want to get it fix it now it will be €1200" I pointed out I had been to a Volvo garage twice in the 12 months before the goodwill deadline and nothing was said/done. I still had the invoices (with the error message stated on it) to prove it... The service centre took copy of the invoices, my service history etc and made an appeal to Main HQ to see if they could do anything for me.

They came back this week and said HQ offered just to cover 50% of the cost to fix it... I did appeal directly to HQ on the grounds that I could have got it fixed on 100% goodwill in 2012, but they won't budge.
                                                                                                              your vehicle is outside of our goodwill parameters based on the vehicle being over 8 years old however I took into consideration that this issue was reported in 2012.

Our offer of 50% is our full and final offer, should you wish to pursue this case further, it must be done with the dealership who investigated the issue in October 2012 as only they can provide you with their reasoning of why the BCM was not replaced at that time

Should I accept this offer and fork out the €600 required... Or do I have any grounds to challenge them???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                Page [1] of [10]. yeah, we're going to need a twitteresque 140 character summary with a one-word explains-it-all hashtag
                                                                                                                Well I read it in physical magazine form. But the tl;dr is that "ZOMG this new administered chemical compound has AMAZING potential to solve X" is how it goes. It's worth knowing something about the social history of such things in framing your judgement about the latest ZOMG thing. Just as knowing historical cycles are relevant in economics.

The opiate history is interesting with each new version being the solution to the last one, including right up to today with methadone.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                                                                    Not yet, will pass them on here/on boards when I get them. It's worth getting yourself onto the invite list on the Android forum on boards, I actually ended up getting two invites that way (didn't use the first for some reason, it went to someone else).
                                                                                                                    Would very much appreciate an invite!! I missed mine on Boards due to having no wifi on the day to check.

Surprisingly... the Rocky Mountains dont have either wifi or 3g coverage. Gutted. Oneplus would be perfect too given the globetrotting. Works nearly everywhere.

Onetime Paul. One time!
                                                                                                                    This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                                                                    All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                                                                    The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Electra Blue View Post
                                                                                                                      I would appreciate some feedback/advice on this issue...

I've an 8 year old Volvo, I brought it from my mother in June 2012 - it's a great car, apart from one nigging thing ...

In October 2012 an message started appearing intermittently saying "Anti Skid Service Required" - I brought it to a Volvo garage and they said it was just needed a air filter replaced and the message went. Two months later it was back and I returned to the garage where another error was found and fixed, but the message came back... In January 2013 I was informed (and internet searches at the time more or less confirmed this) that it was just a quirky blip and it was "doing no harm" as nothing was showing on the computers or could be seen to set it off...

Fast forward to this year - I brought it for a NCT couple of weeks ago and it failed because of this message - I was told by NCT that it was a problem with the brakes and I need to get it fixed. Brought it to my local garage as the Volvo garage I normally went to, closed down last year. The local garage said it was a well known fault in the ABS and that only the Volvo garages can fix these...

I went to the nearest Volvo service centre and was told "yes it's a known issue due to a faulty part but the goodwill offer to replace/fix these finished in August 2013"

And if I want to get it fix it now it will be €1200" I pointed out I had been to a Volvo garage twice in the 12 months before the goodwill deadline and nothing was said/done. I still had the invoices (with the error message stated on it) to prove it... The service centre took copy of the invoices, my service history etc and made an appeal to Main HQ to see if they could do anything for me.

They came back this week and said HQ offered just to cover 50% of the cost to fix it... I did appeal directly to HQ on the grounds that I could have got it fixed on 100% goodwill in 2012, but they won't budge.

Should I accept this offer and fork out the €600 required... Or do I have any grounds to challenge them???
                                                                                                                      I'd challenge it and let them know you are going to seek advise from The National Consumer Agency and see what they say .

Comment

SPOILER

Saw this on r/food

It has been decided, breakfast for dinner!

Comment

...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X