This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oleras View Post
    Again, looks like myself and Eamo are the only ones getting paid while posting.
    Pretty sure I generally am :P

Reading CHDs posts at 6am made me feel drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
      Last day in Bali. Have also overstayed my visa, only by a day in fairness but leaving tomorrow should be fun.
      Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
      Haha, more likely a deep search inside my wallet.
      Best of luck. It's not like Balinese immigrations officials are prone to over-reactions or anything

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post

6. Ban drums in school music practice. derp derp derp
          Still derpy, but you have it back to front.
          When it came to music some Muslims would see it as prohibited but “if music is performed using non-tuneable percussion instruments such as drums, most Muslims will have no problem”.
          Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
            I often think about some of what we consider to be whacky religions. I remember when I first heard that some religions had sirens as a call to prayer that would go off around a town and everybody would stop and pray. How they would ritually fast and wash themselves. Then with the benefit of time I realised sure catholic Ireland is not all that different. A public call to prayer (The Angelus), ritual fasting before mass, and symbolic washing and cleansing. I am sure it has taken generations to release this religious vice on society, most notable change surely coming in recent years with revelations of child sexual abuse. Perhaps in several generations time the musilms will have chilled out for the want of a better term?
            Ramadan is basically a more devout Lent.
            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

This just in, all religions are retarded fairytales.
              There's a myriad of reasons I think that these dudes could chill out, hopefully it will happen.
              Religion will die a slow death in the west.

Anybody done work with AESAV, openssl and the monte carlo algorithm?
              Have a question about initialisation vectors, google ain't helpin'.

Comment

Is ww dead? Was fairly into it but the break has broken the spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                  Still derpy, but you have it back to front.
                  Read this this morning in the paper and couldn't get my head around it.

Wtf?

With most of their silly rules you can usually apply some logic this beats me though.
                  I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Comment

Werewolf Analysis

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                      Is ww dead? Was fairly into it but the break has broken the spell.
                      Its back.

Comment

Iran is more or less Ireland c. 1965

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                        I often think about some of what we consider to be whacky religions. I remember when I first heard that some religions had sirens as a call to prayer that would go off around a town and everybody would stop and pray. How they would ritually fast and wash themselves. Then with the benefit of time I realised sure catholic Ireland is not all that different. A public call to prayer (The Angelus), ritual fasting before mass, and symbolic washing and cleansing. I am sure it has taken generations to release this religious vice on society, most notable change surely coming in recent years with revelations of child sexual abuse. Perhaps in several generations time the musilms will have chilled out for the want of a better term?
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Were the PLO games good in Ireland c. 1965?
                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                            Dontcha know there was only 5 card draw then, YeeHaaa

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                              PLO were in Palestine, we had the IRA

Comment

iran in the 1970s

Learning languages, space, science, Korea, geopolitical trends, religion, cats, constructed international auxiliary languages, Hermann Hesse.

Comment

Originally posted by Elshambles View Post
                                  Your name is Bill Burr and I claim my £5!

Was listening to his podcast earlier and he rips an email some home truth about buying a house.

Not funny but you would like it very much!

Sound cloud from two weeks ago. Bout half way through.
                                  Will link tomorrow when I have a chance if you want
                                  Yo Dukie!

Comment

It's just different flavours of retardation, we just have a solid preference for modernity flavour because that's the flavour we have been given 365 days a year.

People swallowing their anti-depressant with their high fructose corn syrup filled drink, staring silently at a computer screen for hours, taking a break to view another type of screen which actually now feels healthy by comparison as if jogging, fapping to videos of a naked celebrity whose privacy has been invaded or a young lady rimming a donkey for money, listening to the dulcet tones of industrial techno, pigging out on an excess of food and food-like substances, poisoning the body by getting hammered at the weekend, not being able to name the people living 2 doors down, barely physically moving, incapable of sitting quietly with oneself without distraction for 30 minutes, and trudging along with a sense of utter meaninglessness in life.

But lol at having a problem with a guitar right?

At least Muslim retardation has a basis in a text purposively written, albeit grounded in the circumstances of another age. Our retardation is fairly random, owing to the vagaries of technology, and the elevating of rationality to that of a thing worthy of worship beginning in the late 17th century.

We all nod approvingly at the world view of the unhappiest, alienated victim of modernity destroying their mind, body, and spirit as long as they restrict their rationality to scepticism of non-modernity, and worship their freedom to consume all that is structurally demanded of them. For example, is how we eat a form of virtual violence against ourselves? Yep. Paleo? Lol, retard, that's not exactly how they ate, and where are the books grounding it in good dietetics theory and research papers on it's efficacy? Give us a holy scientific text and we will follow it. And is scientific "research" trustworthy? Lol, no.

tl;dr I am not saying that a lot of the traditional views and practices of many Muslims are not retarded, but let us not kid ourselves that we are any less retarded. Not "when Ireland was a very Catholic country before we all copped on" retarded, but right now, with all our rationality, freedom, and modernity - full retard.

Comment

Comment

Which misses the point that we do a cornucopia of other retarded things, I would view people very simple as a civilization yet in every area, wow we don't do this discriminatory thing we used to do, even that is recent and not fully fledged.

Comment

lol
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

The only thing I take from this is that hotspur should delete his browsing history on a regular basis.

Comment

[*] Read John Gray, bought the T Shirt

I just don't buy this thesis that our modern retardation is even in the same ball park as religious retardation.
                                              People are free to find their own level of delusion and retardation and all the information to make us aware of how retarded we are is open and free for us.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                              It's just different flavours of retardation, we just have a solid preference for modernity flavour because that's the flavour we have been given 365 days a year.

People swallowing their anti-depressant with their high fructose corn syrup filled drink, staring silently at a computer screen for hours, taking a break to view another type of screen which actually now feels healthy by comparison as if jogging, fapping to videos of a naked celebrity whose privacy has been invaded or a young lady rimming a donkey for money, listening to the dulcet tones of industrial techno, pigging out on an excess of food and food-like substances, poisoning the body by getting hammered at the weekend, not being able to name the people living 2 doors down, barely physically moving, incapable of sitting quietly with oneself without distraction for 30 minutes, and trudging along with a sense of utter meaninglessness in life.

But lol at having a problem with a guitar right?

At least Muslim retardation has a basis in a text purposively written, albeit grounded in the circumstances of another age. Our retardation is fairly random, owing to the vagaries of technology, and the elevating of rationality to that of a thing worthy of worship beginning in the late 17th century.

We all nod approvingly at the world view of the unhappiest, alienated victim of modernity destroying their mind, body, and spirit as long as they restrict their rationality to scepticism of non-modernity, and worship their freedom to consume all that is structurally demanded of them. For example, is how we eat a form of virtual violence against ourselves? Yep. Paleo? Lol, retard, that's not exactly how they ate, and where are the books grounding it in good dietetics theory and research papers on it's efficacy? Give us a holy scientific text and we will follow it. And is scientific "research" trustworthy? Lol, no.

tl;dr I am not saying that a lot of the traditional views and practices of many Muslims are not retarded, but let us not kid ourselves that we are any less retarded. Not "when Ireland was a very Catholic country before we all copped on" retarded, but right now, with all our rationality, freedom, and modernity - full retard.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                  lol
                                                  Socially I mean, not comparing Lemass to the Ayatollah obv

Comment

4. Female students only taught PE by female teacher and allowed to wear hijab during sports. Err...
                                                    So in theory having only female PE teachers would get us around this one?
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Socially I mean, not comparing Lemass to the Ayatollah obv
                                                      lol

(trying this response out for size)

Comment

Poor Ivan Dineen.

Comment

[*] Read John Gray, bought the T Shirt

I just don't buy this thesis that our modern retardation is even in the same ball park as religious retardation.
                                                          People are free to find their own level of delusion and retardation and all the information to make us aware of how retarded we are is open and free for us.
                                                          Hotspurs post puts me in mind of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where the shrinks desperately struggle to prevent the ultimate answer from being leaked because it will put them out of a job.

Comment

This guy an educated and leader of his community should be told to go fuck himself.
                                                            Ireland does not allow itself to be dictated to by foreign interests except the IMF ECB and the EU.
                                                            Of course it wont happen wouldnt want to offend the man or his bonkers faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                              Poor Ivan Dineen.
                                                              I suspect there's more leaked info to come.

Foley's comments came across like he didn't give a fuck.

Comment

Poor Ivan Dineen.
                                                                EMMET CAN YOU PM THAT SCREEN SHOT.
                                                                Sure he was dead or something but linkage would be appreciated.

Comment

^^^ that's all very well-written, but misses the fundamental difference that we generally don't discriminate against half of our population because they have breasts.
                                                                  Let's be honest here. We clearly do.
                                                                  Not to the same a degree, but it's there.

Comment

Poor Ivan Dineen.
                                                                    What happened to him?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                      EMMET CAN YOU PM THAT SCREEN SHOT.
                                                                      Sure he was dead or something but linkage would be appreciated.
                                                                      e-mail easiest for me in work. PM your address.

You can post the images up here then?

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                                        This guy an educated and leader of his community should be told to go fuck himself.
                                                                        Ireland does not allow itself to be dictated to by foreign interests except the IMF ECB and the EU.
                                                                        Of course it wont happen wouldnt want to offend the man or his bonkers faith.

We are telling him to GFH, just as we do the the nutjob catholics... errrm

Comment

What happened to him?
                                                                          Think he came out poorly in leaked Munster report on all senior players .
                                                                          Last edited by Guest; 03-09-14, 11:35.

Comment

We are telling him to GFH, just as we do the the nutjob catholics... errrm
                                                                            This imports relevance to catholics?

Comment

Catholic Nutjob Muslim Nutjob whats the difference?

Comment

Well catholic nutjobs thankfully are decreasing.
                                                                                Muslim ones seem to be on the increase and dont see what they offer ireland, some decent kebab shops in fairness.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post

Is your point...

scientific "research" = unreliable
                                                                                  religious dogma = unreliable
                                                                                  => scientific "research" = religious dogma

I hope not. Why introduce the "alienated victim of modernity" at all when you could have focused on some of the triumphs of modernity?

Are you an atheist?
                                                                                  Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

About 500 years

Comment

But we choose to do those things, they generally aren't imposed on us. There's a meta argument that its hard to escape cultural and other social behavioural norms, so maybe its not all free will decisions, but don't think that's in the same league as a religion or state dictating social behaviour.

Generally, Ireland, and most of the developed world, doesn't discriminate against anyone. Even in the last bastion of schooling - where religion still has hold on entrance - this is rapidly being eroded. Generally Muslim countries do discriminate.
                                                                                      You essentially brushed against my point there, we are no different than people in the history books we read, than those under these regimes, we are not smarter, our society is merely different.
                                                                                      Society and culture has a bigger impact than people release during formative years and beyond. I'm sure we all scoff at slavers and atrocious part of history x, we would never do that right guys? Simply not the case.
                                                                                      If we were there, if we were raised in such a way, the majority will be bent by it. For some of us, merely if we got the chance.

We are born and then we are picked at and push and pulled into who we are.
                                                                                      Sure we can reach higher with more freedoms but the parameters affecting you during your life always hold you down/elevate you, or I should say, affect you.

Fast forward a thousand years when/if people scoff at our behavior (much like we do to those of the past), damaging ourselves, damaging others, stupid views, what will have changed?
                                                                                      The base level of behavior and ideology in society moreso than the people it effects.

Comment

Originally posted by coillcam View Post
                                                                                        Heading up Saturday myself. I was there for Sunday last year and it was a savage day out. All the specials and once offs disappear early on. A few stalls had no beer left when I got in around lunch time.

Any suggestions for grub beforehand? Myself and the gf were thinking of hitting Bison Bar on Wellinton Quay.
                                                                                        Bison is always a good option. Bit of a trek though.
                                                                                        They are doing grub at it as far as I know. Probably easier doing that
                                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

^^^ that's all very well-written, but misses the fundamental difference that we generally don't discriminate against half of our population because they have breasts.
                                                                                          I dont believe women should be paid the same as men,
                                                                                          I'm not saying they arent as qualified, dont work as hard are arent as good at their jobs as us.
                                                                                          I just dont think they should be paid the same.
                                                                                          They live in a different economy
                                                                                          /jimjeffries
                                                                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

Fast forward a thousand years when/if people scoff at our behavior (much like we do to those of the past), damaging ourselves, damaging others, stupid views, what will have changed?
                                                                                            I'm always more interested in looking at a 30 - 60 year window
                                                                                            What are the things that appear normal or acceptable to us now that will shock our grandchildren?

Comment

...

Comment

Islam is 700 years "younger" than Christianity.
                                                                                                Civilized Europe was a lot worse at the same age imo

Comment

...

Comment

All I have to say is lol Bausch and Lomb, the company who left/leaving go 200 people in Waterford over the past 3-4 months. The auld lad was working for them as an Engineering Manager but on contract so was left go 3 months ago. He started with another company for more money but more travel time/expenses. Bausch just rang him last week looking for him back. Cue some laughing but he negotiated and hello 25% increase in salary from when he left 3 months ago!
                                                                                                    Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Any students willing to do a tiny bit of work for a €100 return

Comment

Comment

I'm always more interested in looking at a 30 - 60 year window
                                                                                                          What are the things that appear normal or acceptable to us now that will shock our grandchildren?
                                                                                                          Probably buying bits of dead animals in the local supermarket for a start.

Comment

*I apologise if this made you feel uncomfortable*

You're really going against a fundamental premise of cultural dimensionalist research here which says that social/cultural norms are far more important influences in some countries than others. E.g. Hofstede's individualism vs collectivism.

Most salient expression of this is in Inglehart's World Values Survey dimensions as seen in the cultural map below:

The countries in the intersection of traditionalist-survivalist strongly emphasis imposing conformist social behaviour, especially in the upbringing of kids. Those in the self-expressive and especially the self-expressive-secular-rational quandrant highly value individuality and creativity and these are the dominant features of those societies.

So, while we may impose some cultural values; the dominant feature of these societies - like ours - is that we put a lot less emphasis on this compared to e.g. Islamic countries. We're just not culturally comparable, even putting religion aside.

Now, as to which approach is correct. Obviously there's no straightforward answer to that, but we do know that over time all countries are moving closer to the secular-rational-self-expressive quandrant, and particularly in countries where more freedom to decide is introduced (e.g. Eastern Europe after the end of USSR), people choose to move in this direction. Unless we fundamentally disagree with the decisions that people make, and think they willingly make en-masse decisions to move in the wrong direction, that's fairly strong support for our way of running a society being superior.

* may very well have missed some of your other points.
                                                                                                            I am not disagreeing with this, rather I think that this continental shift will continue to occur and that this is drifting to a more favorable world. I agree a harsher regime cements formative influence to a greater extent.
                                                                                                            A point I try to get across is that even if we were all at Sweden there is still a long way to go on each axis past this. Lesser extent does not mean marginal extent.

As SP alluded to, even in 30-60 years there will be things abhorred that are not now, going onward the disparity between society of the future and now will be continually diverging.
                                                                                                            Meanwhile we do still (albeit lessening) damage to ourselves and those around us in our societies, bleeding our previous generations flawed morality into them.

I view doing less harm around me as a worthy goal, something we should work towards, yet not killing animals wantonly/needlessly is as of yet the extreme view. this is forced at people from birth,
                                                                                                            insofar that a lot of people do not question what they do and why they do it, or even try to be anything different from normality, as that is yet shunned even in the best of places.
                                                                                                            Extent varies and i agree with your chart and can understand why this is the case.
                                                                                                            A wide array of subtler things exist and are worked on as time goes by in our own societies however, from problems we don't even realise exist or think about to residual misogyny, racism, and so on.
                                                                                                            Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 03-09-14, 13:46.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                              Do you mean
                                                                                                              A) we all go veggie
                                                                                                              B) All the animals are over farmed and extinct
                                                                                                              C) we have willy wonka-esque meal pills

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                Do you mean
                                                                                                                A) we all go veggie
                                                                                                                B) All the animals are over farmed and extinct
                                                                                                                C) we have willy wonka-esque meal pills
                                                                                                                Lab meat?

Comment

The countries in the intersection of traditionalist-survivalist strongly emphasis imposing conformist social behaviour, especially in the upbringing of kids. Those in the self-expressive and especially the self-expressive-secular-rational quandrant highly value individuality and creativity and these are the dominant features of those societies.

So, while we may impose some cultural values; the dominant feature of these societies - like ours - is that we put a lot less emphasis on this compared to e.g. Islamic countries. We're just not culturally comparable, even putting religion aside.
                                                                                                                  Are you saying we have little conformist social behaviour within our current society? Just because the current means of engineering behaviour has become much more sophisticated and subtle doesn't mean it acts with any less weight on our lives.

We basically go through indoctrination within early schooling which teaches us conformity, fear, standardisation etc. We're far more exposed to advertising, films, television etc than ever before. If you study the history of cinema at least within the mainstream, the increasing emphasis isn't on asking people questions, to think or to question the world we live, but to provide stories of how to live with happy endings or rubbish which allows people to turn their brains off for a couple of hours. The media provide so much of the narrative around world events that even to the most discerning person finding truth in anything these days is a lie. We innovate, create and employ the masses increasingly in ways to distract, distance and alienate us from each other.

"You have to be asleep to believe it."A short excerpt from the video "Life Is Worth Losing" (2005).

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                                                    That or veganism

Comment

...

Comment

Poor Ivan Dineen.
                                                                                                                        What did report say(roughly)? True he hasn't trained this week?

Comment

Originally posted by NiceandcoolTrig View Post
                                                                                                                          What did report say(roughly)? True he hasn't trained this week?
                                                                                                                          Weak, slow, bad hands, bad defensively. Reached his peak as a player.

Makes same errors repeatedly.

Bad passer.

In essence - he's for the yard.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X