This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
    Is it 'Man Utd was' or 'Man Utd were' e.g. "when Man Utd was/were on the front foot."

Can both be used at different times? Like in the above example, Man Utd reads as 'they' (so were is correct), but what about times when it reads most like 'the club' e.g. 'Man Utd was top of the league that day'

Is it history or grammar you need help with?

Comment

Was in London.

Were everywhere else.

Comment

Is it 'Man Utd was' or 'Man Utd were' e.g. "when Man Utd was/were on the front foot."

Can both be used at different times? Like in the above example, Man Utd reads as 'they' (so were is correct), but what about times when it reads most like 'the club' e.g. 'Man Utd was top of the league that day'
        It doesn't fucking matter. Grammar is the most uninteresting subject.
        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

I will leave that fabulously successful guerrilla army alone now (weren't we meant to be talking about Albert?), but this is an interesting post by a former IRA Hunger Striker.

Not easy going (hotspur would probably enjoy it) but worth a read.
          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
            Going for a mad one with Zod tomorrow after work, few pints.

Who is in?

@deadlyparrot, are you thirsty?
            EamonH is working apparently.
            mdoug, you about?
            bodybuilder, what is your availability?
            Would love to and I ensure you I'm every bit as mad as my WW personality indicates- But unfortunately I live in the west of Ireland.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybuilder View Post
              Would love to and I ensure you I'm every bit as mad as my WW personality indicates- But unfortunately I live in the west of Ireland.
              We will bring the party to you one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                Downtown is smarter than me Im gonna side with him on this one
                He is indeed a very smart individual, he is friends with Liv Boeree and along with her boyfriend Igor Kurganov & Philipp Gruissem + some others they've setup a charity called REG Raising for Effective Giving and trying to find the best way to maximise the impact for giving to charity.

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                  We will bring the party to you one day.
                  LOL no way I'm in Dublin a lot, I used to live there for years.

The hermit lifestyle suits me better though, prefer it back home.

Comment

Grammar is the shit.

I invite you to join me over at the Spell Czechs forum. Such wonders are discussed far from the beady eyes of the peasants, furrowing their eyebrows in a vain attempt to understand the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybuilder View Post
                      LOL no way I'm in Dublin a lot, I used to live there for years.

The hermit lifestyle suits me better though, prefer it back home.
                      When are you next in Dublin. We will have a party.

Comment

When are you next in Dublin. We will have a party.
                        You'd never step foot out of bray
                        airport, lol

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                            Downtown posted this on Facebook about why it's not all its cracked up to be.
                            I had some thoughts about the ice bucket challenge, but couldn't articulate properly what I meant. What your man says in the article about "all causes are equally worthy" is basically what I was getting at though. In a world where everything is so connected, 'raising awareness' almost becomes null and void, and it'll surely reach a stage where people will actually have to pick and choose their charities. There's finite resources (in this case, resources = the few quid a week people are willing to donate to charity) but it can't be too long before there's seemingly an infinite number of campaigns or charities to donate to.

That, or stop being a dry bollox and just do it for the craic.

(tbf, I'd say that's 80%+ of people's mentalities. I didn't even know the charity in question for the first few days)

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                            North circular road, south circular road, most of Ennis road all clearly far nicer.

Castletroy on a par with Dooradoyle/ Raheen (where I live) for suburban hellness.

Monaleen/ Annacotty is nice and leafy but the rest of it is a kip.
                            We'll have to agree to disagree, no way am I being convinced Castletroy isn't the nicest place to live in Limerick. North Circular road is nice alright, S Circular and Ennis Rd wouldn't really be my cup of my tea for whatever reason though. And yeah I agree Castletroy is a bit too suburban in places alright.

I got a pm from Danny Diamond a couple of nights ago, asking for my pokerstars and apologising about the debt, said he has paid most people back now.
                            Shipped me the money for my hard fought Premiership Predictions joint 2nd place finish.

He's a top man and I won't have a bad word said about him.

Name change request to Rigs the Bounty Hunter.
                            pm now for debt recovery services and debt reconsolidation services.
                            Says your man that can't even collect a debt from a lad that schooled by a youth club
                            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                              You'd never step foot out of bray
                              I'm actually in Dublin alot.

Just picky about who I have in my company

Comment

If you play Enya videos on Speed 1.5 she becomes an angelic rapper.

I'm not even stoned.

Comment

Comment

I've met this one (she was quite slow logically at the time and I was practically facepalming in front of her)

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                      Fairly certain heard it mentioned on here a few times, but a huge fan of Ray Donovan having watched the first six episodes over last few days. Proper good tv.
                                      The current series is pretty good too..Love John Voight in most things.

How are you finding the new season of Scandal , or have you got that far yet? ?

Comment

Comment

Yeah John Voight is the man, main guy is excellent too. Stuck on S03E07 of Scandal waiting for the wife to catch up. Still a big fan of that show.
                                          WTF...S03 E04 only aired tonight on Sky Living, can this be downloaded already?

Comment

Comment

He is indeed a very smart individual, he is friends with Liv Boeree and along with her boyfriend Igor Kurganov & Philipp Gruissem + some others they've setup a charity called REG Raising for Effective Giving and trying to find the best way to maximise the impact for giving to charity.

http://reg-charity.org/
                                              Fairly shameless use of Liv there.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                Gazza looks about as bad as Gaza
                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
                                                  That's not a real photo surely? He's only 47.
                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Fairly certain heard it mentioned on here a few times, but a huge fan of Ray Donovan having watched the first six episodes over last few days. Proper good tv.
                                                    Yeah, cracking show. Liev Schrieber is the lead (may be spelt incorrectly). Season 2 is excellent too. I find his kids quite annoying but can get over it because the rest of the characters are well played. I think "Bunchy" is excellently played, given his story line.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                      Yep, it sure is. He's meant to have signed for a Sunday League side in Bournemouth which is why he's back in the news.

Comment

Tis. He's bad but not that bad. Lucky shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                          Grammar is the shit.

I invite you to join me over at the Spell Czechs forum. Such wonders are discussed far from the beady eyes of the peasants, furrowing their eyebrows in a vain attempt to understand the situation.
                                                          aint nobody gunna understand the situation, he cray cray.

I had some thoughts about the ice bucket challenge, but couldn't articulate properly what I meant. What your man says in the article about "all causes are equally worthy" is basically what I was getting at though. In a world where everything is so connected, 'raising awareness' almost becomes null and void, and it'll surely reach a stage where people will actually have to pick and choose their charities. There's finite resources (in this case, resources = the few quid a week people are willing to donate to charity) but it can't be too long before there's seemingly an infinite number of campaigns or charities to donate to.

That, or stop being a dry bollox and just do it for the craic.

(tbf, I'd say that's 80%+ of people's mentalities. I didn't even know the charity in question for the first few days)

We'll have to agree to disagree, no way am I being convinced Castletroy isn't the nicest place to live in Limerick. North Circular road is nice alright, S Circular and Ennis Rd wouldn't really be my cup of my tea for whatever reason though. And yeah I agree Castletroy is a bit too suburban in places alright.

Says your man that can't even collect a debt from a lad that schooled by a youth club
                                                          Finks will pay.
                                                          X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Wrecked from drink drugs mental health problems.
                                                            Such a waste remember the 1990 world cup when i loved soccer and he was an excellent footballer.
                                                            Big strong skillful was always a mad bastard though doubt hell get to 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                              Wrecked from drink drugs mental health problems.
                                                              Such a waste remember the 1990 world cup when i loved soccer and he was an excellent footballer.
                                                              Big strong skillful was always a mad bastard though doubt hell get to 50.
                                                              That photo actually puts me in a bad mood tbh.

Comment

on the efficiency of charities, the only charity I ever seriously worked with or contributed to was Ducuum (I don't think they're very active anymore - not under that name anyway).

Basically, there was a guy I went to school with whose family was Sudanese. They got out during the first civil war there and found their way to the UK and then Ireland. Anyway, his mother set up a charity and long story short, whatever money was raised, she'd go to Sudan directly herself, and ensure the money was spend on building schools, buying school materials etc. Their main mission was to improve education for young girls in Sudan (to fix things you have to start from the grassroots was the reasoning).

Anyway, a charity like that, where you know that every cent that is raised will go to the people who actually need it, is a much more worthwhile charity than most of the large organisations that call themselves charities imo.
                                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Majority of charities you may as well throw away your money.
                                                                  Bill gates one seems pretty legit (if they even let you donate to them, they have guidelines). He has a good youtube channel in general

Hi, I'm Bill Gates. Tune in here to watch videos about my work. On this channel, I post videos about the issues I'm focused on: saving lives, improving education, and delivering cleaner, cheaper sources of energy. I'm lucky that my work allows me to talk with a wide range of brilliant and insightful people working on some of the world's toughest problems. In these videos, you'll get to meet some of them. I hope you'll enjoy watching, and that you'll stop by often to check out the latest additions. Feel free to share them with others and stay in touch: http://www.gatesnotes.com/
                                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 21-08-14, 22:38.

Comment

Gazza's peak was a bit before my time. How good was he? Always struck me as someone the English press might have hyped up a bit too much and was a great tragic hero. Tbh that opinion isn't really based on much though.
                                                                    Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Charity Boxing Match in Aid of <insert something>

Raoul 'Dukes' III vs Hitch 'Prepare To Suffer a Battering' Hiker.

Maybe some oversized novelty gloves.

More grudge matches to follow.
                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Gazza's peak was a bit before my time. How good was he? Always struck me as someone the English press might have hyped up a bit too much and was a great tragic hero. Tbh that opinion isn't really based on much though.
                                                                        Ah he was class had a very serious knee injury just after the 1990 world cup probably at a time when syringes full of cortisol were the cure.

Comment

It's a terrible show, got about 4 episodes in and quit.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                          Fairly shameless use of Liv there.
                                                                          Huh?
                                                                          "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Charity Boxing Match in Aid of <insert something>

Raoul 'Dukes' III vs Hitch 'Prepare To Suffer a Battering' Hiker.

Maybe some oversized novelty gloves.

More grudge matches to follow.
                                                                            This is the co main event of the evening.

Comment

my lovely horse lol!

only in Tipp

Her sky-ness
                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                Hell on earth.
                                                                                Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                ++; Was there for my work experience in 2001. It was the most Dilbert-esque exerience I have ever had.
                                                                                Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                "Good catch!"
                                                                                Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                *shudder*
                                                                                SPOILER

Comment

I got a pm from Danny Diamond a couple of nights ago, asking for my pokerstars and apologising about the debt, said he has paid most people back now.
                                                                                  Shipped me the money for my hard fought Premiership Predictions joint 2nd place finish.

He's a top man and I won't have a bad word said about him.

Name change request to Rigs the Bounty Hunter.
                                                                                  pm now for debt recovery services and debt reconsolidation services.
                                                                                  Always knew he was a top man, we all fk up at some point, just like chips did and he had sorted his problems with his backer, we wouldn't be human if we didn't fk up now and again just like I have done in my younger days which I'm not going to get into, mostly been illegal BTW, right enough said.

Come back dannydiamind

Comment

It's a terrible show, got about 4 episodes in and quit.
                                                                                    Yikes! I've watched many a show/movie on your recommendation. Why the hate for Ray Donovan? I love it. Interested in your opinion because you keep up to date on tv shows and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                                                                                      Always knew he was a top man, we all fk up at some point, just like chips did and he had sorted his problems with his backer, we wouldn't be human if we didn't fk up now and again just like I have done in my younger days which I'm not going to get into, mostly been illegal BTW, right enough said.

Come back dannydiamind
                                                                                      He is anything but a top man.

Comment

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
                                                                                        If someone was to come into a large amount of money from abroad (200K ball - park )....how would one get it into the country without the tax man wanting 40%+

Cash in a holdall?
                                                                                        Using a bank account in the country the money is in and transferring it to neteller or currency fair. Wouldn't this work??

Comment

Come back dannydiamind
                                                                                          ah no say more
                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

He is anything but a top man.
                                                                                            He never did fk all to me and I have always got on with him so I don't begrudge him for anything, we all fk up at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                              ah no say more
                                                                                              Nah

Comment

He never did fk all to me and I have always got on with him so I don't begrudge him for anything, we all fk up at some point.
                                                                                                That is like saying you met a sound rapist in a bar but he didn't rape you and was a bit of craic so its grand.

Comment

That is like saying you met a sound rapist in a bar but he didn't rape you and was a bit of craic so its grand.
                                                                                                  rapists are a bit taboo, but I've heard people say that about murderers and be serious
                                                                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

I don't think I'm going to win this debate against you CHD, so congrats you win on to the next topic

Comment

rapists are a bit taboo, but I've heard people say that about murderers and be serious
                                                                                                      Limerick gonna Limerick
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Yeah... Except it's not like that at all
                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

And also, 'top man' and 'sound' and phrases like that are always ambiguous in these cases.

Like, a massively flawed person could be good craic and genuinely good company, but (if that flaw was a gambling addiction or a tendency to rob money for example), if it came to trusting that person with money, I wouldn't.

I think it's a similar principle to mates that might be good craic on a night out, or in a group say, but it'd be hell to actually have a one-on-one conversation with. So you might genuinely look forward to socializing with them, but dread going on a long car journey with them.

Obviously there then comes a limit where even if they are good craic or sound, you still don't want to associate with them in any capacity due to their flaws (rapist probably fits this category).
                                                                                                          Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

He was back in Waterford IT doing an IT course last year and for a few years. This must place a large financial restraint on him considering I think he has a family. The fact he is trying to pay it back in this circumstances must be admired considering he really does not need to face anyone on here again.

I guess admired should not really be a word that should be used considering it should never happen.
                                                                                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Mother of God I've gotta put in another 24 hour shift.
                                                                                                              Any of you fine people know anyone suitable for this job?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                Yeah... Except it's not like that at all
                                                                                                                You forgot the full stop there.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                                                                                                                  Ruled myself out when saw the excellent written spoken and english part.

Comment

The "Look Busy" tab is a laugh.
                                                                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

You forgot the full stop there.
                                                                                                                      Ahh come on, you can do better than that .

Comment

Ahh come on, you can do better than that .
                                                                                                                        Captain Hindsight was correct tbf to him.

Comment

Maybe hire a proofreader first ?

This too shall pass.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X