Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
    — Samuel Johnson

Living in reasonable comfort inside zone 1 and being able to afford to enjoy all that it has to offer would be pretty much as good as it gets.
    Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
      Man was responsible for one of the funniest and most personally insulting results in legal history. Bless.
      'Thats women for you' was and will always remain my favourite Albert moment.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
        Intel would give me a gig, but the only interesting research they do is in Oregon! Would like to keep up the teaching too.
        Come on away out to Leixlip and we'll have the bants.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

If you had the means to live in comfort within Zone 1 in London then, sure, London would be amazing. The reality for most is not Zone 1 however. I have friends who were over the moon at buying a place in a shitty Zone 4 neighbourhood.

When you have well educated people from a middle class Dublin background overjoyed at buying into the London equivalent of Darndale too much Kool aid has been consumed imo.
            "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
              "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
              — Samuel Johnson
              Wise words as always from my main man.

Comment

But showing up and invoking the zero notice period on day 1 is fine?
                I didn't realise there was a zero notice period. Would have to see the terms obv but that seems right.
                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                  I would actually rather be homeless than work there again. Why on earth did you go back?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

You do realise that's a pic of Samuel L. Jackson. And the quote was by Samuel Johnson

Comment

Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 21-08-14, 10:56. Reason: spoilered for largeness

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                        I didn't realise there was a zero notice period. Would have to see the terms obv but that seems right.
                        I don't believe it has anything to do with the particular contract, if that's what you mean. There is always zero notice in effect. More that the law is that under 13 weeks there is no notice, and 13 weeks - 2 years is 1 week and so on. Unless you mean the terms of the actual act, where it isn't really set out in stone on how to deliver the notice, but I assume normal rules would apply. If there is zero notice afforded then i imagine written notice from anywhere would be fine.

Comment

So say you breach the contract by telling them you aren't coming in. Realistically what are they going to sue you for - what is their loss?

Comment

Value imo

Visit our online store and discover the menswear collection from ZEGNA Ireland: designer suits, jackets, shoes and accessories for formal and casual looks.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post

When a motherfucking man is motherfucking tired of motherfucking London, he is motherfucking tired of motherfucking life; for there motherfucking is in motherfucking London all that motherfucking life can motherfucking afford motherfucker.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                So say you breach the contract by telling them you aren't coming in. Realistically what are they going to sue you for - what is their loss?
                                Having the class available, cost of short term replacement etc. May be penalty clauses.

I am basing all this on the assumption you are a contract worker as opposed to employed for service. Which now I think of it seems utterly ridiculous.

I'm on my fucking holidays! I'm checking back out.
                                You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

I would actually rather be homeless than work there again. Why on earth did you go back?
                                  Were you working in the Fab or what?

I'm in physical design which I love. There's a bit of pressure but the management are fairly clued in when it comes to not grinding you into the dirt with deadlines encroaching (worked with most of them before).

Mostly cos money though.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                    very slowly. very little on during the summer. Have had 3 or 4 interviews, but it takes weeks to get them set up.

sending 3 or 4 CVs a week but responses are so slow, so just enjoying the summer with my kids, doing the touristy things, going to the parks, museums, etc. As a bonus, there's a skate park just next to our flat so the boys are in there 2 hours a day also.

In general, working hard to make sure the boys love London before school starts, and taking advantage of the time off and good weather (july was unreal, August more hit and miss).

Haven't had 6 weeks off in a row since i was a kid tbh, and i like it!!!!
                                    good luck with it.. I'm currently weighing up emmigration options for my family. Not even sure where I'd like to go yet!

Comment

You living or working in Leixlip? Will have to get a home/pub game going if any more are out here. Have spotted that JohnOB and Fiend are here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                        good luck with it.. I'm currently weighing up emmigration options for my family. Not even sure where I'd like to go yet!
                                        Do it, I've done it 3 times, don't know why I keep going back to Ireland tbh, hoping this was my last one.

Comment

Comment

I'm in physical design which I love. There's a bit of pressure but the management are fairly clued in when it comes to not grinding you into the dirt with deadlines encroaching (worked with most of them before).

Mostly cos money though.
                                            Was a process engineer in Fab 24 back in 2005/06. Hell on earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                              Think in academia its the reputational impact - there's only six/seven physics departments in the six/seven unis in the country and they'd all probably hear about it. Know with my pal and his DCU/UCD switch and attempt to switch back it was widely known in all the other uni departments. You really don't want to have to go for your next interview in a place where they were previously mocking you.
                                              Everyone knows that the system is in tatters and people have to look after themselves though. What rational person would hold a grudge that you backed out of a 5 month contract on a 40% reduction in pay because something better came along? If you don't want this kind of thing happening then offer better jobz!

Comment

Mostly cos money though.
                                                What do you do on a day to day basis in a job like that?

Comment

Comment

I would actually rather be homeless than work there again.
                                                    ++; Was there for my work experience in 2001. It was the most Dilbert-esque exerience I have ever had. Best story from my time there:

My mate Dave has wandered down to the kitchen to get some tea. We had a round going and it was his turn. As he's coming back up the stairs, holding a cup of tea in each hand, someone stops him and says, "Excuse me, I'm a health and safety officer. You're not allowed to climb the stairs without holding the handrail". Dave tries not to laugh, knowing what these guys are like, and calmly explains he can't do that and carry two cups of tea at the same time.

So your man suggests he can carry the other cup of tea to the top of the stairs for Dave. They head up the stairs, but the moment Dave touches the metal handrail, it gives him an electric shock, and he drops the cup of tea. The whole stairwell was closed for an hour while they waited for someone to come clean it up. A few weeks later that one metal handrail, of all the hundreds of metal handrails in the building, every one of which gave people electric shocks on a daily basis, was replaced with a wooden one.
                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                      You living or working in Leixlip? Will have to get a home/pub game going if any more are out here. Have spotted that JohnOB and Fiend are here.
                                                      Just working, out in Intel. I remember you were very helpful to me a bunch of years ago before I moved to Dublin in terms of how feasible it would be to live in the city and work out here, still very grateful. Wouldn't be averse to a little home game action once in a while!

Was a process engineer in Fab 24 back in 2005/06. Hell on earth.
                                                      Yeah I've heard the Fab is a different world, heard nothing but horror stories from people who've been in there.

Design is definitely a different kettle of fish. As relaxed as any job compared to the insanity of some of the procedures they have in place in the Fab and whatnot. They work pretty hard here on not burning you out since the team here was set up out of the ashes of Shannon's development team going into flames for a while after the project I worked on.

On that one they scheduled it for about 3 months less than it ever had a chance of taking and then expecting us to work stupid hours indefinitely to engineer our way around the schedule.

I left directly because of it, along with a tonne of other people and had it made very clear before I joined that everyone here was well aware of the clusterfuck and having had an experience of their own with it they're pretty on guard against it.

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                      What do you do on a day to day basis in a job like that?
                                                      It's a desk job for a start.

Not sure how much background you have so to give a quick flavour of how the job works:

1. Intel decide they want a chip that does X-Y-Z.

2. A team turns the notions of X-Y-Z into HDL code - basically code describing how the functionality can be cobbled together from a load of logic gates, and how those gates talk to one another.

3. That code gets handed over to me for "physical design". I take the code, and match up all the logic in it with real components from libraries of them Intel have, lay them all out physically and connect them all up to one another.

Obviously (3) is done almost entirely by software, the finesse on my end comes from how you control and restrict the tools in various ways. E.g. if various pieces of logic need to talk to one another, how do I lay them out to ensure the signals travel between them quickly enough, how can I keep power consumption to a minimum (what I'm working on mostly at the moment) and a million other things.

I find it very interesting and stimulating anyway!
                                                      Last edited by Keane; 21-08-14, 11:49.

Comment

Yeah I got pulled up for not holding the handrail one day and told the guy it gave me a shock and he was delighted that he had something to put on the safety improvements section of his appraisal form. Pathetic.

Comment

Today I noted that metal conducts electricity, we must put a stop to this.
                                                          End note.

Comment

Yeah I got pulled up for not holding the handrail one day and told the guy it gave me a shock and he was delighted that he had something to put on the safety improvements section of his appraisal form. Pathetic.
                                                            "Good catch!"

Comment

I love VHDL, I assume that's what they are doing, such a sweet language. People are always so surprised a software engineer knows it. I seem to be treated a lot better by hardware people for being an electronic engineer than getting an IT/computer science degree, haha.
                                                              Sounds pretty interesting over there, I'd say intel do a lot of bleeding edge stuff.

Comment

— Samuel Johnson

Living in reasonable comfort inside zone 1 and being able to afford to enjoy all that it has to offer would be pretty much as good as it gets.
                                                                Which was kinda my point, nobody can afford that.
                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Too many acronyms have HD in them and are 3 letters long.

Comment

"Good catch!"
                                                                    *shudder*

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                      I love VHDL, I assume that's what they are doing, such a sweet language. People are always so surprised a software engineer knows it. I seem to be treated a lot better by hardware people for being an electronic engineer than getting an IT/computer science degree, haha.
                                                                      Sounds pretty interesting over there, I'd say intel do a lot of bleeding edge stuff.
                                                                      Mix of that and verilog.

I did elec eng as well but was a shambles when I tried to move into software (ask Strewelpeter ).

Chip I'm working on at the minute is a first foray into the wearable devices market, for which power consumption is obviously vital. For some unknown reason that's also what I'm in charge of

*shudder*
                                                                      A good illustration of the difference between the Fab and this end I suppose, the good catch thing is met with lols up here 100% of the time, while apparently it's still serious business down the way.

Comment

Not sure how much background you have so to give a quick flavour of how the job works:

2. A team turns the notions of X-Y-Z into HDL code - basically code describing how the functionality can be cobbled together from a load of logic gates, and how those gates talk to one another.

3. That code gets handed over to me for "physical design". I take the code, and match up all the logic in it with real components from libraries of them Intel have, lay them all out physically and connect them all up to one another.

Obviously (3) is done almost entirely by software, the finesse on my end comes from how you control and restrict the tools in various ways. E.g. if various pieces of logic need to talk to one another, how do I lay them out to ensure the signals travel between them quickly enough, how can I keep power consumption to a minimum (what I'm working on mostly at the moment) and a million other things.

How do you find time to make Strewelpeter's tea and ship it to him when doing all that

Comment

Just working, out in Intel. I remember you were very helpful to me a bunch of years ago before I moved to Dublin in terms of how feasible it would be to live in the city and work out here, still very grateful. Wouldn't be averse to a little home game action once in a while!

Yeah I've heard the Fab is a different world, heard nothing but horror stories from people who've been in there.

Design is definitely a different kettle of fish. As relaxed as any job compared to the insanity of some of the procedures they have in place in the Fab and whatnot. They work pretty hard here on not burning you out since the team here was set up out of the ashes of Shannon's development team going into flames for a while after the project I worked on.

On that one they scheduled it for about 3 months less than it ever had a chance of taking and then expecting us to work stupid hours indefinitely to engineer our way around the schedule.

I left directly because of it, along with a tonne of other people and had it made very clear before I joined that everyone here was well aware of the clusterfuck and having had an experience of their own with it they're pretty on guard against it.

Very interesting Mr. Dyson, where do you get your ideas from?
                                                                          SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                            How do you find time to make Strewelpeter's tea and ship it to him when doing all that
                                                                            I did nary a stroke of work for the time I was working there sadly. I would have been happy to work harder but I hadn't the know how to make anything beyond a tiny contribution there realistically.

I think they mostly kept me around because I was good craic and because it gave people someone to talk to about GAA.

Comment

...

Comment

Nut allergy flight girl. Part Deux

What the fck - the whole airplane has to not eat nuts because of your precious? How about just not eating the nuts / bringing a bit of food on board?
                                                                                And maybe the whole airplane can do without nuts for a few hours, just in case it kills someone. Oh poor me , i cant survive with nuts for a few hours so ill put this persons life at risk.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainSarcastic View Post
                                                                                  And maybe the whole airplane can do without nuts for a few hours, just in case it kills someone. Oh poor me , i cant survive with nuts for a few hours so ill put this persons life at risk.
                                                                                  they actually only asked that First Class not be served nuts (where they ahd booked) so it would only inconvenience 9 other people.
                                                                                  Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

^^^ any sign of Intel making a decent push into the mobile/wearables market - they're surely a gazillion miles behind Qualcomm, even with Atom?

*disclaimer: may be used for pseudo insider trading
                                                                                        Bizarrely actually I got a phonecall from a guy recruiting for Qualcomm about three weeks after starting here to my internal phone number which I don't even know myself and have yet to figure out how to call.

I guess someone here probably doesn't like me.

Comment

— Samuel Johnson

much rather live in zone 2 or 3 tbh, but it's more or less the same.

Not done this many museums in such a long time and it's great. Kids are absolutely loving them and are almost craving for more. I've had to brush up on cubism, conceptual art, egyptology etc. as i'm being asked a million questions, but as they're free, we do a room or two at a time, so we'll have the whole winter to do the other rooms.

Getting ready to organise my son's birthday by a sleepover in the Natural history museum, where you walk around the dinosaur rooms with torchlights till midnight. can't wait!

@SP: just bought tickets for the below king creosote gig at the union chapel in London in February. long way away but small and cheap venue so tix might sell quickly.

king-creosote-confirms-single-london-show

Comment

lol VG seems like a fun guy!

Ray Moloney features too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EWS2OvuCII#t=63
                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post

Ray Moloney features too

who's VG?

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                who's VG?
                                                                                                left out full stop! very good I meant lol

could call him vaginal growth maybe ?
                                                                                                Her sky-ness
                                                                                                © 5starpool

Comment

Lad.
                                                                                                  People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                  Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                  https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Why is that a lot for brussels, seems a place people would visit for both tourism and work?

Must be 10+ to amsterdam from here every day haha

Comment

Good riddance Mario.
                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Three flights a day with Ryanair from Dublin to Brussels main airport. That seems like a ridiculous number of people to be travelling that route each day.

189 per plane x avg 90% capacity x 3-daily both ways x 365 = 372,000 people transferred on that route each year

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post

Ray Moloney features too

Woulda been better if it was Ryanair pissbucket challenge, I wonder if anyone added their own special ingredient to the water to eh, warm it up a little, seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                                            Lol at castletroy being by far the nicest part of limerick to live in.
                                                                                                            Come on now, really?
                                                                                                            Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

Just watched a really good French film.

You forget its subtitled after a while and also based on a true story which makes it better imho

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

It says something about Irish attitudes to politicians that the best line people can come up with on hearing of the death of Albert Reynolds is "well, he wasn't the worst of them".

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
                                                                                                                  It says something about Irish attitudes to politicians that the best line people can come up with on hearing of the death of Albert Reynolds is "well, he wasn't the worst of them".
                                                                                                                  What did you think yourself Zodders?
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                                    The implied interest charge on late payment of NPPR is criminal.

Forgot to pay the €200 NPPR? You now owe us €4k per property. Don't pay by the end of the month? €7k.
                                                                                                                    That a joke, got a letter today first i heard of it, only had it rent from July 2011 on and its
                                                                                                                    €4,220 for the NPPR. That must be wrong, Not a hope that i will i pay that.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                      What did you think yourself Zodders?
                                                                                                                      argh.

His commitment to delivering peace in Northern Ireland was admirable, and his role is often understated when discussions of the Good Friday agreement come about.

His Taoiseach-ical failings almost all come about due to his shortsightedness in reappointing Harry Whelehan. I don't know the reason for his loyalty to him when forming the '92 government (can't understand why Spring didn't raise this as a concern at the time either to be honest, given the shitstorm Whelehan's X case brought about. To think, a different decision to that, Reynolds wouldn't have been done in by Whelehan's appalling handling of the the Brendan Smyth extradition request.

His other failing was to spring Bertie Ahern into Finance and set in place everything that was to come from there, including his shafting for the presidential nomination.

To get that high in FF, especially to be able to avoid complete political destruction by Haughey in the 80's is the mark of a shrewd political operator. But of course, to be that high in FF means you don't just know where the political bodies are buried, you would have had to be involved in digging the holes also.

I think he got out relatively unscathed from the tribunals, which I think will have an effect in the consideration of his political career when looked back upon in future times.

Comment

...Had the pleasure for the first time in my life of having the option of two girls to have a one night stand with... The girl I thought I was going choose had lost her sex appeal to me in the last 3 months...
                                                                                                                        ...Reason for bragging is not about the option , but the reason I gave to a mate for not choosing her...
                                                                                                                        SPOILER
                                                                                                                        ...Seen her last night, she looked like she was swallowed and spat out by an Ebola Victim...

...Think the levels of wrongness in this really fitted her face...

Comment

He played a key role in delivering the 1994 IRA Ceasefire. That's as worthy a legacy as any. Glyn / Zod: top 5 Taoiseachs?
                                                                                                                          "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X