• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
    Class!
    That is some ninja shit right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
      I agree if you're on less than 30k it makes more sense to live outside Dublin.

Similarly, is there any good argument to work in Dublin over London? Generally speaking, the culture and weather are similar. Would living expenses be that different? It just seems like a no-brainer when you have the option of working in a city of 1 million or a city of 8 million.

(obviously plenty of generalizations above)
      Nope the culture and weather are different. Rent is higher in London but day to day stuff is cheaper. eg. I could eat like a King on £50 per week. I brought a chick to Wetherspoons and bought a pint of lager, a vodka and OJ and a pitcher of cocktail and had change from a tenner. Also there's the 24 hour bars, the cocaine and Toddla T. Move to London post haste. I can hook you up with some reasonably priced accommodation.

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
        Found it nice for a change. I'm sure you can add different ingredients to it, yours looks a lot better than mine lol at least it didn't fall apart. What's your secret lol?
        I used streaky bacon instead of the lean and let it rest for 15 mins when i took it out of the oven. Also used about 3 large spoons of tomato paste rather than the 2 teaspoons in the recipe.
        This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
          Check in your bag.

Meh. Friend of mine living over there at the moment (since 2011), and one of the lads and I visited at the end of 2012. The lad I was with had just finished a PHD in Computer Science specializing in recommend-er systems and was therefore in demand, so he was going to interviews and considering moving over there. His conclusion was a round 'no', and I'd have to agree.

If you earn a quarter of a million quid a year then San Fran could very well be awesome. I wouldn't fancy it on < $100k a year though. You'd be faced with a choice of pokey accommodation in a rough area or living across the bay on a BART ride from downtown San Fran. The work culture is oppressive and work social scenes are intense. 'Networking' is king and making real connections with people is apparently much harder than it is here.

It is still undoubtedly beautiful and cool of course, but quality of life is a lot about the little practical things imo - things that are very easy to take for granted in Dublin.
          I was looking at it recently when i was offered a job there, for beating the hiring manager really well at a strategic board game lol.
          It is true there is a lot more to it than flashy lights and numbers, I could have started on up to ~$100k as a graduate in the US depending on who hires you (you'd get up to that level fast anyway), however their universities are to a much better standard so you fight for it more. There is lower tax to boot but you have to look at a lot more than that. Very little holidays, culture of your job is your life, pressured to not take the little holidays you have. Also much longer hours, I work quite few here compared. No job security, can be literally marched from your desk by security or not allowed into the building to get your stuff and so on.

Sick days take from your annual leave days! Weird health insurance law insofar that you pay tonnes for it but you also lose it with your job, leaving people fucked over and fearing for their lives when they lose a job. Say you have cancer and lose your job, how can you pay for treatment then? A new job won't accept you on their policy either. Ways around this but I'm told it just doesn't work out for most people.

It's certainly a lot more grey than some people think.

On the other hand there is great quality of life to be had there if you can get it, there are some nice big cities where you could get a place to rent twice the size of mine for the same price, earn a killing and live the good life.

Somewhere like Switzerland would be fairly amazing to me imo, huge wages. Speaking for software, after about 3 years 90-100k euro. Starting on 65k as grad in smaller places, probably more in bigger ones.
          Much lower tax, about 31% afaik? Insane benefits, do not do overtime ever.
          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 20-08-14, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
            Sleeping in shop doorways and eating rats in Dublin > richest man in Limerick.
            This too shall pass.

Comment

So to sum it up for Pokerhand - knock that excitement out of you and either relocate to Limerick or commit suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Apparently it means either two, or 'an indefinite small number', but specifically means two in Australia/NZ. Guess it would look a bit stupid to contact them and ask should I reduce the length of the cover letter? Would have to get into a dumb-sounding explanation. It seemed quite a casual request for length rather than a firm rule.
                It means too no matter what planet you are from.
                I'd consider reducing it, chances are if the HR guy gets a 4 page essay along he'll just not be arsed reading it. The mice in the bin will say a couple for 2 also.

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                  Nope the culture and weather are different. Rent is higher in London but day to day stuff is cheaper. eg. I could eat like a King on £50 per week. I brought a chick to Wetherspoons and bought a pint of lager, a vodka and OJ and a pitcher of cocktail and had change from a tenner. Also there's the 24 hour bars, the cocaine and Toddla T. Move to London post haste. I can hook you up with some reasonably priced accommodation.
                  Do you mind me asking how and is it going to be cheaper than standard prices?

Reason I ask is I might be putting a crew of lads together to go to London working, might have a job which consists of 140 apartments in Croyden and I have another job in West Sussex with 4 years work, just have to agree on rates, there is a frightening amount of work over there.

Wages are getting much better over there, feeding one self is very cheap as you mentioned, I have a brother in-law over there and he says £30 goes a long way, only problem is accommodation.

Was just browsing the West Sussex area and for a 3bed house, a kip tbh, is going for £1200 a month so this could be the downfall of going over there.

Comment

Malky Mackay out of the Crystal Palace job for the most ridiculous text messages ever. Seemed a very good manager but there must be no brain in there at all.

'Fkn chinkys. Fk it. There's enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around.'

On the arrival of South Korean international Kim Bo-Kyung

'Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers'

On football agent Phil Smith

'He's a snake, a gay snake. Not to be trusted'

On an official of another club

'Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering.'

On a list of potential signings

'I hope she's looking after your needs. I bet you'd love a bounce on her falsies.'

On a player's female agent

A picture entitled Black Monopoly (where every square was a "Go to Jail" square)

Sent to members of Cardiff's staff

Comment

So he is being charged for being Scottish.

Comment

Originally posted by TheImprover View Post
                        Do you mind me asking how and is it going to be cheaper than standard prices?

Reason I ask is I might be putting a crew of lads together to go to London working, might have a job which consists of 140 apartments in Croyden and I have another job in West Sussex with 4 years work, just have to agree on rates, there is a frightening amount of work over there.

Wages are getting much better over there, feeding one self is very cheap as you mentioned, I have a brother in-law over there and he says £30 goes a long way, only problem is accommodation.

Was just browsing the West Sussex area and for a 3bed house, a kip tbh, is going for £1200 a month so this could be the downfall of going over there.
                        Sure thing. I have a contact over there who leases hotels. One floor is set aside for long term guests. I took a room from him for £75 per week and had the advantage of paying no bills, council tax or any other rates. Also had a 24 hour bar facility should I wish to avail of it. The long term floor had its own kitchen if you wanted to cook something and the accommodation assistant would clean your room and do your washing for a tenner per week.

Comment

Where exactly is the hotel? Thus sounds very good

Comment

Where exactly is the hotel? Thus sounds very good
                            There are a few. My favourite one is in Greenwich. TBH alot of large pubs offer the same deal. Greenwich was handy for me and lots of bohemian ladies nearby attending the university.

Comment

Originally posted by gorrrr72 View Post
                              Good luck man. We applied for US visas for a few years back around 98-2002 and finally got sick of waiting and went to Germany.
                              Do you have a job and a vehicle sorted out there? Let me know if you are interested in looking at leasing one out there. It's very difficult (almost impossible) to get a lease there with no credit history and it's also difficult to get insurance too. Our company has a branch who work with expats and immigrants, we can sort out a lease or purchase and insurance too. Leasing makes more sense though.
                              Thanks.

It is a intercompany transfer so the job aspect is fine, to be honest it is a kind of a stepping stone, as working there for a couple of years is going to open up more opportunities.

Re car: I am actually not 100% what I will do yet, the company I work for is giving me a rental for the 1st month until I find my feet. While I am under no delusions about the transport system (hear it's really bad) it all depends on where I get my living place, how close it is to work, etc... It may well be the case that I won't need a car except for the odd weekend (if I'm lucky) and I could always get a short term rental for that. But thankfully I don't have to rush on that yet.
                              No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

There are a few. My favourite one is in Greenwich. TBH alot of large pubs offer the same deal. Greenwich was handy for me and lots of bohemian ladies nearby attending the university.
                                Is there any near West Sussex or are they all in London City?, I have never been to London so don't know the area, only know that West Sussex is about a 2hr drive, the job is actually about 15min from Gatwick. This could sort out a lot of my problems.

Comment

Check in your bag.

Meh. Friend of mine living over there at the moment (since 2011), and one of the lads and I visited at the end of 2012. The lad I was with had just finished a PHD in Computer Science specializing in recommend-er systems and was therefore in demand, so he was going to interviews and considering moving over there. His conclusion was a round 'no', and I'd have to agree.

If you earn a quarter of a million quid a year then San Fran could very well be awesome. I wouldn't fancy it on < $100k a year though. You'd be faced with a choice of pokey accommodation in a rough area or living across the bay on a BART ride from downtown San Fran. The work culture is oppressive and work social scenes are intense. 'Networking' is king and making real connections with people is apparently much harder than it is here.

It is still undoubtedly beautiful and cool of course, but quality of life is a lot about the little practical things imo - things that are very easy to take for granted in Dublin.
                                  Slightly regret not travelling during the poker times, felt too tied to playing 3243223490 tables and lazy overall. Although my present job isn't a million miles away in terms of mobility. US hours start earlier but being finished by 2pm-ish would be nice.

Comment

Is there any near West Sussex or are they all in London City?, I have never been to London so don't know the area, only know that West Sussex is about a 2hr drive, the job is actually about 15min from Gatwick. This could sort out a lot of my problems.
                                    All of his places are in central London. I'd be looking at Brighton if I were you.

Comment

All of his places are in central London. I'd be looking at Brighton if I were you.
                                      Cheers, when the time comes I will be in contact and you might hook me up if you don't mind.

Comment

Cheers, when the time comes I will be in contact and you might hook me up if you don't mind.
                                        Sure

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                          Thanks.

It is a intercompany transfer so the job aspect is fine, to be honest it is a kind of a stepping stone, as working there for a couple of years is going to open up more opportunities.

Re car: I am actually not 100% what I will do yet, the company I work for is giving me a rental for the 1st month until I find my feet. While I am under no delusions about the transport system (hear it's really bad) it all depends on where I get my living place, how close it is to work, etc... It may well be the case that I won't need a car except for the odd weekend (if I'm lucky) and I could always get a short term rental for that. But thankfully I don't have to rush on that yet.
                                          Yeah, it would be difficult to make a decision until you get a feel for what you need and if you even need a car. It's common for employers to provide the first months rental vehicle while you are settling in.

I will PM a couple of our websites so you can check things out yourself. If you feel you want to explore things further you can fill out the contact page or send me a PM and I'll get one of the reps to call you.
                                          We do long term rentals too (minimum 30 days), if your company does a lot of intercompany staff transfers you'll probably discover that your company already uses our service or at least have some vehicle advice in place for people re-locating.

I don't do the rental and civilian sales and leasing, I work on the military and diplo branch so the pricing is a little different but we still have good deals and would be worth keeping in mind.

Comment

Sure
                                            The job is actually in Horsham West Sussex, where would you recommend to stay that would not be too expensive for accommodation? Somewhere within reasonable distance to Airport and Horsham, Brighton seems to be about 45min away.

Comment

Is weather that different? Obviously no two big cities are the same culture wise, but Dublin and London would have to be fairly similar when you're talking about comparing capital cities. I appreciate stuff like 24hr bars and other stuff you'd get in London but wouldn't get in Dublin.

I didn't fancy Dublin too much the 6 months I lived there, but I've always have in my head that if moving to Dublin full time was the move to make, I'd just try my best to move to London instead. Definitely would like to try a US or Canadian city first though.

For people giving Limerick a hard time, it's actually generally quite fine imo. You could do a lot worse than living in Castletroy (by far the best place to live in Limerick). Obviously it's a small town though (calling anywhere outside Dublin a city is pushing it imo), so prospects would naturally be more limited than Dublin.
                                              Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

The job is actually in Horsham West Sussex, where would you recommend to stay that would not be too expensive for accommodation? Somewhere within reasonable distance to Airport and Horsham, Brighton seems to be about 45min away.
                                                Don't know the area too well but Crawley seems the obvious choice. Lots of cabin crew chicks there too

Comment

Originally posted by NuckChorris View Post
                                                  Malky Mackay out of the Crystal Palace job for the most ridiculous text messages ever. Seemed a very good manager but there must be no brain in there at all.
                                                  lol fuckin ridiculous. It happens time after time, why on earth would you partake in such ridiculously -EV behaviour? The cheap laughs he may get from using such language can't nearly compare with the disaster if even one of those messages got out. It's so indefensibly racist. Calling someone that's tight with money a jew is something you could sell off as banter, referring to a player as a 'chinky' and talking about there being enough dogs in Cardiff to go around you can not.

Friend of mine was working at Cardiff City last season, I wonder if he got the Black Monopoly picture
                                                  Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

It just sounds like bants.

Lots of things are great when you're 21 because you're 21 and are happy so long as you have beer money and a roof over your head. When I think about 'quality of life' now as a 30 year old I think about things I didn't give two fucks about ten years ago. I certainly would have lost any desire to scrape by just to be where its happening.

Totally agree. I suppose it is slightly more complex than that as it is easier to get a job in Dublin than it would be in Limerick. But people lock themselves in a vicious cycle around this stuff all too easily. I couldn't imagine going back to ~€30k a year living here. Hopefully it never comes up!
                                                    What you working at these days and what numbers are you pulling down?
                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Adorable:

Is weather that different? Obviously no two big cities are the same culture wise, but Dublin and London would have to be fairly similar when you're talking about comparing capital cities. I appreciate stuff like 24hr bars and other stuff you'd get in London but wouldn't get in Dublin.

I didn't fancy Dublin too much the 6 months I lived there, but I've always have in my head that if moving to Dublin full time was the move to make, I'd just try my best to move to London instead. Definitely would like to try a US or Canadian city first though.

For people giving Limerick a hard time, it's actually generally quite fine imo. You could do a lot worse than living in Castletroy (by far the best place to live in Limerick). Obviously it's a small town though (calling anywhere outside Dublin a city is pushing it imo), so prospects would naturally be more limited than Dublin.
                                                      Best mate is living over in London working as a doctor and DESPERATE to get back to Dublin (moving between the two systems is difficult in the early years of your career). London IS different (as are English people ime), and that difference will either appeal or it won't. I personally hate London and would never live there. I also have friends over there who love it and like to throw stones at the apparent state Ireland is in the whole time so I'm obv aware that my opinion is far from being universally shared.
                                                      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                                        What you working at these days and what numbers are you pulling down?
                                                        I work in software testing and earn ~€50k. Dublin is expensive imo.
                                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

Comment

Anything fun for doing in north Tenerife?

Comment

Later Ireland!
                                                                  This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                                                  All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                                                  The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

Good sensible article here on Bardarbunga, giving it less than a 10% chance of blowing. One interesting 'what if' though:

Under that 'what if', would have a massive effect on Ireland, especially agriculture, given our proximity.
                                                                      I'm flying to the US in a couple of weeks, hold plz.

Comment

Just looking up some supervolcanos there. Lake Toba seems like a winner. Had a Volcanic Explosivity Index of 8, the largest ever recorded.

Killed most humans alive at the time and lowered world temperatures by 3-5 degrees on average. 15 degrees at higher latitudes - i.e. Ireland. Can you imagine the chaos if we had to get through a minus 10 degrees or so winter?!
                                                                        You mean like the big freeze we had a few years ago?
                                                                        No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

I agree if you're on less than 30k it makes more sense to live outside Dublin.

Similarly, is there any good argument to work in Dublin over London? Generally speaking, the culture and weather are similar. Would living expenses be that different? It just seems like a no-brainer when you have the option of working in a city of 1 million or a city of 8 million.

(obviously plenty of generalizations above)
                                                                          London is obviously one of the three great cities of the world but I wouldn't like to live there. Hardly anyone actually lives in the city itself.
                                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Question: I accepted the roflcopter contract Maynooth offered me purely to keep my options open and am pretty unlikely to actually follow through with it. Contract arrived in the post today to be returned by next week. Am I right in assuming it binds me to absolutely nothing and I can ring them at any point and say I won't be coming?

Comment

Albert Reynolds dead.

Not bad by FF standards although did promote Bertie (and wouldn't attend the tribunal on grounds of 'failing memory'...at the same time he was writing his memoirs ).

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                    Question: I accepted the roflcopter contract Maynooth offered me purely to keep my options open and am pretty unlikely to actually follow through with it. Contract arrived in the post today to be returned by next week. Am I right in assuming it binds me to absolutely nothing and I can ring them at any point and say I won't be coming?
                                                                                    Paging Kayroo. Would imagine signing a contract binds you though! Welcome to the faculty.

Comment

Zuutroy, are there no private sector research roles you could look at?

Comment

...

Comment

Surely first step is to pop into your department and tell them you're gone unless they make you a better offer as then they can get activate the retention scheme that the uni has and get HR to issue you a decent contract?
                                                                                          Head of School is waiting on the Dean to decide. Dean is not unlike RDIII in his outlooks for the future! Science Faculty is basically hand to mouth so there's no marching to HR unfortunately. He's told me himself that if something better comes along I should take it.

Seems to me that Employment Law would prevail no, and zero notice is required for your first 12 weeks of work, which presumably includes before you start working.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                            Zuutroy, are there no private sector research roles you could look at?
                                                                                            Intel would give me a gig, but the only interesting research they do is in Oregon! Would like to keep up the teaching too.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                              Albert Reynolds dead.

Not bad by FF standards although did promote Bertie (and wouldn't attend the tribunal on grounds of 'failing memory'...at the same time he was writing his memoirs ).
                                                                                              I would have considered him a pretty straight & honourable man tbf. Probably a shame he didn't have full power like Bertie when at the helm to give him a good run at it.

Comment

Yep, but lower temperatures and for the whole winter rather than two weeks
                                                                                                I would love that.

Comment

London is obviously one of the three great cities of the world but I wouldn't like to live there. Hardly anyone actually lives in the city itself.
                                                                                                  what do you consider "in the city"? i don't know anyone who lives outside of zone 3 tbh, except for any and all people working in the "City", who either live in the broker belt or Essex.

so much going on and to do here, it really is crazy.

Comment

Head of School is waiting on the Dean to decide. Dean is not unlike RDIII in his outlooks for the future! Science Faculty is basically hand to mouth so there's no marching to HR unfortunately. He's told me himself that if something better comes along I should take it.
                                                                                                    Dean sounds like a stupidhead - you should do a running-him-over prank.

Comment

Lol at castletroy being by far the nicest part of limerick to live in.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                        what do you consider "in the city"? i don't know anyone who lives outside of zone 3 tbh, except for any and all people working in the "City", who either live in the broker belt or Essex.

so much going on and to do here, it really is crazy.
                                                                                                        hows the job hunt going in london? (apologies if I missed something)

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                                                                                                          hows the job hunt going in london? (apologies if I missed something)
                                                                                                          very slowly. very little on during the summer. Have had 3 or 4 interviews, but it takes weeks to get them set up.

sending 3 or 4 CVs a week but responses are so slow, so just enjoying the summer with my kids, doing the touristy things, going to the parks, museums, etc. As a bonus, there's a skate park just next to our flat so the boys are in there 2 hours a day also.

In general, working hard to make sure the boys love London before school starts, and taking advantage of the time off and good weather (july was unreal, August more hit and miss).

Haven't had 6 weeks off in a row since i was a kid tbh, and i like it!!!!

Comment

Yeah Rome is obviously another great city of the world but I wouldn't like to live there. Hardly anyone lives in The Vatican itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                                                                              can some kind soul put the numbers 1 - 24 in any random order they wish and post it up here. Only need for one person to do it so once its done I thank the BBV for their assistance.
                                                                                                              i'm part of the sweepstake (so not sure if that makes me inelliglible) but as per random. org

20
                                                                                                              19
                                                                                                              8
                                                                                                              13
                                                                                                              10
                                                                                                              22
                                                                                                              21
                                                                                                              7
                                                                                                              15
                                                                                                              12
                                                                                                              6
                                                                                                              11
                                                                                                              24
                                                                                                              4
                                                                                                              18
                                                                                                              5
                                                                                                              3
                                                                                                              17
                                                                                                              1
                                                                                                              9
                                                                                                              2
                                                                                                              16
                                                                                                              14
                                                                                                              23

Comment

17
                                                                                                                4
                                                                                                                24
                                                                                                                19
                                                                                                                18
                                                                                                                1
                                                                                                                13
                                                                                                                14
                                                                                                                7
                                                                                                                10
                                                                                                                12
                                                                                                                3
                                                                                                                15
                                                                                                                6
                                                                                                                16
                                                                                                                22
                                                                                                                5
                                                                                                                20
                                                                                                                23
                                                                                                                2
                                                                                                                11
                                                                                                                8
                                                                                                                9
                                                                                                                21

Mine is more random.

Comment

Regarding 30k and less in dublin, it's quite crap but still enough for you to live fine and do things you want, you have to look at what your wage will be in a year or two also, as well as career progression. More scope for increases and opportunities in Dublin. I started on <30 abut it has doubled pretty sharpish, there is actually things to do where I live which is important. Also if you start low you can easily find new opportunities if you want in the same city.

Seems to me that Employment Law would prevail no, and zero notice is required for your first 12 weeks of work, which presumably includes before you start working.
                                                                                                                  I'd imagine you can leave pretty sharpish, whenever new people start it's not really taken for granted they will be sticking around I'd say.

Comment

The implied interest charge on late payment of NPPR is criminal.

Forgot to pay the €200 NPPR? You now owe us €4k per property. Don't pay by the end of the month? €7k.

Comment

Eh... no.

If you sign it you have agreed to show up. If you fail to comply with it they can sue you for breach of contract.

Basic rule: contracts are actually enforceable.
                                                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Albert Reynolds dead.

Man was responsible for one of the funniest and most personally insulting results in legal history. Bless.
                                                                                                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

But showing up and invoking the zero notice period on day 1 is fine?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X