Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

poker in ireland

hi guys,

i currently live in germany (as a full time pro) and really consider relocating to ireland in the next few months.
    the reason why im considering it? I love the country and i love playing poker, and because poker in ireland is legalized and tax free there is just no reason for not moving to ireland.
    at least thats what i thought until someone told me in another forum that an italian friend of him moved to dublin (mainly plays online poker) and is paying taxes right now.
    btw when theres another active thread about this topic, just show me and this one can be closed.
    also there are several poker news regarding the wsop 2011 results which say that Eoghan O’Dea had to pay 40% taxes since hes a professional and just amateur players are allowed to keep their money which is very irritating for me because i read several times that poker income is not getting taxed in general regarding irish laws. so if things are changing in ireland right now it would be good to know before coming along and make a living by playing poker. so many thanks in advance for any comments and i would be very glad to get some information from players in ireland who play on a regular basis, playing live tournaments abroad, withdraw poker winnings on their bank accounts etc...
    cheers,
    Appa

Originally posted by Appa View Post
    hi guys,

i currently live in germany (as a full time pro) and really consider relocating to ireland in the next few months.
    the reason why im considering it? I love the country and i love playing poker, and because poker in ireland is legalized and tax free there is just no reason for not moving to ireland.
    at least thats what i thought until someone told me in another forum that an italian friend of him moved to dublin (mainly plays online poker) and is paying taxes right now.
    btw when theres another active thread about this topic, just show me and this one can be closed.
    also there are several poker news regarding the wsop 2011 results which say that Eoghan O’Dea had to pay 40% taxes since hes a professional and just amateur players are allowed to keep their money which is very irritating for me because i read several times that poker income is not getting taxed in general regarding irish laws. so if things are changing in ireland right now it would be good to know before coming along and make a living by playing poker. so many thanks in advance for any comments and i would be very glad to get some information from players in ireland who play on a regular basis, playing live tournaments abroad, withdraw poker winnings on their bank accounts etc...
    cheers,
    Appa

Winnings are tax free, but weather crap.

Comment

No tax on any poker earnings either live or online in Ireland.

Obviously outside Ireland depends on your passport.

Comment

no tax on winnings but im sure someone told me that if the tax man realises you are making a consistant long term living from it then he will come after you

Comment

Originally posted by noname1255 View Post
          no tax on winnings but im sure someone told me that if the tax man realises you are making a consistant long term living from it then he will come after you

Comment

Originally posted by noname1255 View Post
            thats exactly what i dont like to hear.
            are you sure that the information is reliable?
            i mean its quite obvious that recreational players should not tax their poker winnings, so in fact the discussion is only about the players who are "making a consistent long term living from it".

Comment

No tax on winnings means just that. There is no tax. You are not avoiding anything with the taxman.
              Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

I remember there was an article floating around at the time about Eoghan O'Dea having to pay high taxes on his WSOP ME winnings, that was 100% untrue and whatever source the writer of the article used was wrong.

There's been a few similar threads with varying information in them all. I'm not an expert, but was always under the impression that poker winnings are 100% tax free in Ireland and I believe that is the case. Drawing the dole or looking for Irish citizenship (not an issue I assume as you're EU) may effect things.

Links to other threads:

Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

i mean its quite obvious that recreational players should not tax their poker winnings, so in fact the discussion is only about the players who are "making a consistent long term living from it".
                  no not 100% reliable at all, dont mean to give out shite advice ,just someone who worked for a betting company told me that,he could be totally wrong
                  should be some actual decent advice somewhere in what jam-fly posted

Comment

Just to correct the question, is there tax paid on gambling winnings in Ireland? No. this covers poker.

Example of winnings that are tax free: Poker, Lotto, Gaming Tables, Fruit Machines etc.

But you will still pay Vat, Property Tax if owning a home, Water Tax etc. You cannot claim social welfare.

Comment

In Ireland there is no tax on poker winnings. It does nt matter whether they come from full time play or a once off/irregular play. This is very very very unlikely to change in the short to medium term.

Comment

ok, thanks a lot guys

Comment

Hey Guys,

living in Galway since september 2014, everything quite nice here
                          but just received a letter from the revenue, and they demand 973.00 € for taxes.
                          They dont name any reasons, just giving the time period for 1/11/2014 to 31/12/2014, Due Date: 19.01.2015, VAT3 Charge.
                          Just wondering which things count for this VAT3 charge, because all my bills i paid already included VAT (eircom, calor, board gais...).

They are also writing "Final Demand, Re: Arrears of Tax", so i think there should be a writing before which I actually never received or maybe threw in the bins with some spam ad accidently.

Hope you can give me some Info about that.
                          Many thanks in advance and a successfull Sunday ,

Appa

Comment

In registering yourself for taxes in Ireland you must have inadvertently registered for VAT: what you are now receiving is a final demand in respect of an estimate of VAT that the Revenue are estimating you owe.

Solution: file a NIL VAT return and immediately deregister for VAT

Comment

Hey,

I registered for a PPS No. in October, actually for no specific reason, so i guess its due to that?!
                              How do i deregister immediately and which Form do i have to fill out?

I think its probably best to just go to a public office in Galway tomorrow because I feel I cant handle it on the phone. So nothing wrong with just going there and tell about my profession and deregister for VAT?

Again thank you very much!!

Comment

How are you finding the poker..?

www.irishkop.com Twitter = @Irish_Kop Facebook = Irishkop.com

Comment

Working...
                                X