Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many have actually counted their losses per month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many have actually counted their losses per month?

As Posted in the BBV. I have blocked myself from Boyles and PP , the two places where I left my fortune... As this is a Poker forum I decided I would create a thread on losses as opposed to profit

I am a recreational player, and never really clicked a big one unfortunately. Most probably due to consuming copious amounts of alcohol while playing!

I am the type of person who would deposit 20s, 30s and 50s Euro on a regular basis , mainly at weekends and wake up full of guilt and wtf was I at last night, should have cashed out when I hit 300 quid on the speed poker . Fortunately I am working but now that I am working I notice I would deposit more than what I was when not working . Chill out on a Friday , few drinks, takeaway at the ready and off we go! Nearly always would be down at least 50 but approx 70 quid come saturday morning. Which over a month is a tidy sum and that is just one night of the week!
    Recently I bit the bullet and examined bank statements . It didnt look too hot and I reckon approx 300 to 500 per month was being lost.

Car insurance was up today plus the local property tax thing was well over due, and it was then that I realised my poker was a major loss and the money I was spending could have covered these things over and over.

So I decided fuck it, lets sort this shit out so contacted PP and boyles and self excluded myself from poker for a few months. be interesting to see how I get on.

imo when its a niggling worry at the back of your head about wasting money and not controlling bank roll , its kinda fucked up tbh.

It would have been a dream to be someone like doke , but in reality it was never gonna happen. its not many who can live that dream and have the brains and commitment to do so in fairness. and I have been dreaming far too long. Its alot harder now I would imagine to take that dream on and just because you got paid and there is a couple of 100 quid sitting in your bank acc doesnt mean you are gonna click one night and all your dreams come true. that aint ever ever gonna happen.

Anyway just needed to get it off my chest as I feel there is surely loads of posters here trying to live that dream but like me are just burning money. I am off to Lanzarote next week to spend MY cash on my daughter and chill for a week!

i am relieved but also afraid of the boredom come the weekend due to my actions today but have to admit poker is deffo not a profitable game for me!
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Sounds a good move msn. I hated poker 99.9% of the time, it was an effort to play so quitting wasn't a big ask.
    What did you have for tea?
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

I'm a recreational losing player too. Doesn't bother me once I enjoy it and get a cash every now and again. Not looking for "the score", I play $3, $5 and occasionally an $11 freeze out like the big 11. Just enjoy poker, not losing a fortune or winning it.

If you feel you made the right move for yourself, that's all that matters once you're happy with it.

Comment

Don't listen to MSN. Everyone keep depositing. That big score is just around the corner!
        It's all an illusion

Comment

Having spent a bit of table time with you lately i think it's a very wise decision

Comment

Originally posted by 72over View Post
            Don't listen to MSN. Everyone keep depositing. That big score is just around the corner!
            Jono Crute said the same thing to me when we ended up on the piss at some tourney: "On behalf of pros everywhere, keep trying"

Comment

Packing it in will be handy after this weekend and you won't miss it.

Online poker is terrible. If you aren't going to put the effort into being a winning player then you're one of the fish. Why bother?

Plenty of better ways to spend money that you have marked as expendable and you will enjoy the ways you spend it alot more than you do now. Instead of waking up on Saturday down you can go out on Saturday and spend that 50-70 anyway you like. You'll love it.

Easy game.

PS.

Bingo is cheaper and I have winning systems, pm for details.

Comment

there are plenty of 2$-3$ tournaments online, why not just play those?
                "Poker isn’t about default strategies, it’s about exploiting your opponent's bad tendencies"

Comment

I've always tracked my wins and losses, from the very start - someone here (I think it was HJ) sent me a good spreadsheet about six or so years ago, which I've modified a good bit so that all poker transactions (live, online, stakes, cashflow) and each and every session/tournament are fully tracked. Would be a bit mad to play otherwise, too easy to convince yourself you're doing better than you are.

Funnily enough I played my first session on online poker for about six months last night (think I tried an IPO Dublin sat in October) courtesy of Bet365, who gave me $5; crushed the €0.02/€0.04 PLO tables for a full $1.50 I'm not allowed to play on any Rational Group platform (Stars, FT) and so the options aren't very appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
                    There is no point in playing anything, I have lost interest . Summer is coming need to get out more instead of losing money online. even if I played lower buyins and cashed I would still sit into bigger games etc. Couldnt be arsed tbh

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                    I've always tracked my wins and losses, from the very start - someone here (I think it was HJ) sent me a good spreadsheet about six or so years ago, which I've modified a good bit so that all poker transactions (live, online, stakes, cashflow) and each and every session/tournament are fully tracked. Would be a bit mad to play otherwise, too easy to convince yourself you're doing better than you are.

Funnily enough I played my first session on online poker for about six months last night (think I tried an IPO Dublin sat in October) courtesy of Bet365, who gave me $5; crushed the €0.02/€0.04 PLO tables for a full $1.50 I'm not allowed to play on any Rational Group platform (Stars, FT) and so the options aren't very appealing.
                    Fair play , I would say the majority of recreational players dont do that. Live for the moment more like. Thats how I worked. Most only talk about the recent win they had, rarely to posters come on and say jeez I am down 100 quid this week etc etc

I always turned a blind eye to my bank statements , but when you look closely it really does add up even a tenner here and then over even 6 months is a fair bit!
                    Her sky-ness
                    © 5starpool

Comment

Fair play MSN that's a good post.

I self excluded myself from Stars and FT a while ago as it was just too easy to jump on and try and spin up a fortune when all you are really doing is donating. Like Cillian said above if you are not willing to put the time and patience in then whats the point? I have to say I really don't miss it as online poker for me is the absolute pits anyway.

Now as for live poker..... I have more or less stopped playing except for the drunken nights in town where by the time Bucks is closing and you haven't met a lady yet (happens alot) I think there is no better idea in the world than to hit the Fitz!! This is a major leak as I am continuously burning hundreds of quid and putting myself under pressure then. The Blackjack and the wheel of steel being prob the biggest issue I have.

Anyway fair play and I bet you won't really miss the online stuff, sure poker for a recreational player is a bit of craic, the mind numbing clicking of buttons doesn't really do it for me anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by ViperEyeIRL View Post
                        What MSN is cleary saying, is, it wouldnt stop there, discipline wise she could end up losing more than she is comfortable with. Some people cant just dip their toe in. I dont think you needed to broadcast it to the world MSN but almost certainly a good choice in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                          What MSN is cleary saying, is, it wouldnt stop there, discipline wise she could end up losing more than she is comfortable with. Some people cant just dip their toe in. I dont think you needed to broadcast it to the world MSN but almost certainly a good choice in the long run.
                          I dont mind broadcasting it at all. I have just decided I am fed up with poker in general and I wasnt really making anything from it due to a few different things. What I did lose at the time I could afford to lose but now I think that lost money could have been put to better use. If I was depositing the whole weeks wages and losing well then yeah I would be a bit morto lol
                          Her sky-ness
                          © 5starpool

Comment

Just checked the start date on this thread - thought it might be a April Fool.
                            Apparently not!

Feel like I'm at 1 of those meetings.
                            OK so - I AM A LOSER TOO!
                            (admitting it is half the battle, now where is that credit card and scissors?)

Comment

Most people lose playing poker! The key is to keep it as inexpensive a habit as possible! Lots of cheap options available without having to give up what is a fun and social game! Ireland is a fantastic place to play at the moment for recreational players with lots of small buy in, decent guarantee games!

Comment

Lot of reasons to love the Satnav, one of them being your brutal honesty about yourself and others. You're probably the most open and genuine person I've met through poker, best of luck with this
                                My poker blog - Doking around in cyberspace

Comment

drink and poker is a big no no for most players I think u did the right thing satnav

if u do start missing poker loads of freerolls u dot need money 2 have fun playing.

anyone putting in that kind of money and not winning must be mad.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                    Packing it in will be handy after this weekend and you won't miss it.

Online poker is terrible. If you aren't going to put the effort into being a winning player then you're one of the fish. Why bother?

Plenty of better ways to spend money that you have marked as expendable and you will enjoy the ways you spend it alot more than you do now. Instead of waking up on Saturday down you can go out on Saturday and spend that 50-70 anyway you like. You'll love it.

Easy game.

PS.

Bingo is cheaper and I have winning systems, pm for details.

Agree with this a lot. Online poker has literally transformed over the years. Back in the late noughties you could literally make a fortune and only play recreationally just because of how much money there was on every site and the lack of care by everyone - probably including most on here. Over the years it has changed and now to be successful you need to put in hours of work, hours of watching videos, analyzing stats and just takes pure devotion to make a living off it.
                                    There are so many staking deals going on these days, deals with great players who know that it is so tough to live from this that they don't want to invest their own money in it in case it goes tits up. Whereas years ago it would have been much more shocking to go tits up with all the easy money available.

On MSN's post: I respect the self exclusion to be honest, and am very glad the fact you got a job has changed your views on such important things. Things that should be realised by everyone, I was of a similar mindset and thoughts in the past few weeks and I am very impressed with your thinking process and result here! . Hope you start saving and keep away from the tables.
                                    A random social game every few weeks should however be allowed in the schedule once you promise yourself you will avoid cash games and just go for the fun at the tables and the bar
                                    Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Wise move, I packed in poker abd only play once every year or so.
                                      On-line was dreadful, people like doke and the firm actually highlighted to me that it was a stacked deck. Plus I had no discipline abd would notice games break as I left and waiting lists as I played. In addition to that time is the one commodity you can never get back so you should use it wisely.
                                      As for live I found it depressing playing with sullen characters, drunks, addicts and know all's.used play couple of times a week years ago but the last few times I played I really had zero fun.

I closed all my online accounts and have not looked back since.

I like to bet the horses and notice that I do better when I actually use cash, it had more value the poker was the same for sure.

I used bet football but gave up when I noticed I was being the same as mdoug :-).
                                      Last edited by Thefonze; 01-04-14, 15:14.

Comment

Back Jordan spieth in the golf this weekend :-) well pay for your holiday!

Comment

Quit grinding some time back myself as I wouldn't put the effort into the studies required and a losing year confirmed that you cant win unless you do work hard at it.

Nowadays its small stakes only a couple tables at most and an odd spin when I am in mood.

Still love playing the game and dont get pissed off when I lose.

If it feels right for you sat nav it probably is and good luck

I will continue to help the poor pros build their bankrolls as they deserve it for the work they put in

Comment

How many of us would get back up on the horse again if a boom kicked off?

I cant do this day decide if I regret entering the poker world or not. I think I made between 8-13k per year for about 5 years ( I did keep records but they are gone with an old laptop).

Positives

What I made

Holidays to Bulgaria, Malta and Vegas solely thanks to poker

Other non poker holidays subsidised by poker money

I got the opportunity to spend 3 months in the US/Canada living off poker (what a test that was)

Negatives

Not having finished college 4 years ago instead of now which surely outweighs the profits I made through poker

A few bad decisions before I learned bankroll management where I spewed several thousand on several occasions

All in all I dont think I would go back to it as the normality of routine can be good. the working environment is also healthier for the head. How many of us that come from rural towns will be known as the poker player guy. Its pretty impossible to explain to people that you didnt lose a fortune as the reason why you gave up.
                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Gonna miss you Satnav.
                                              http://www.pokerinireland.net/

Comment

played at your table at ACOP and craic was brill, with some of the funds your going to save be sure and play some of the bigger weekend games, poker has to be fun not a grind for us recreational players.

Comment

When I played regularly (04-11 approx) I kept detailed records and I made a small profit (probably about 5% of minimum wage on an hourly basis) and then I stopped enjoying playing and I haven't played in just over 10 months now. I'd still like to play in the IO or similar, but I have no intention of trying to qualify or pay in, and even if I somehow ended up playing I'd probably at this stage be in the bottom 20% of players easily. I can certainly understand falling out of love with the game.

Comment

Was pretty obsessed with poker for a few years:
                                                    - Read the books
                                                    - Watched the shows
                                                    - Spent hours playing
                                                    - Day dreamed about it often going over hands and shit.
                                                    - Love the game
                                                    - Loved going to new casinos and meeting people through poker
                                                    - Love the boards of course and all you guys
                                                    Haven't played in two years. Felt a bit like going to work in the end. Poker never cost me a penny. In fact I still have a couple of accounts with money in them that I must clear out. Will still play socially. Great experience. Got a lot out of it personally.

Have been pretty obsessed with golf for a few years:
                                                    - Read the books
                                                    - Watch the shows
                                                    - Spend hours playing
                                                    - Day dream about it often going over rounds and shit.
                                                    - Love the game
                                                    - Love going to new courses and meeting people through golf
                                                    - IrishGolfBoards.com anybody?
                                                    Shot eighty twice this year on a par 72 course. Hope to beak 70 this year and eventually have a single handicap. Golf has cost me a shit load of money!

Both are great hobbies while you enjoy putting in the work on your game. If you don't put in the work however, and expect good results, these games will beat you up.
                                                    Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Forgot the point I wanted to make. SatNav, you play poker not to make money, but to relieve the unbearable lightness of being. Find another pastime\hobby to fill the void, that you can love and get something out of, that isn't too costly obv.
                                                      Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
                                                        Forgot the point I wanted to make. SatNav, you play poker not to make money, but to relieve the unbearable lightness of being. Find another pastime\hobby to fill the void, that you can love and get something out of, that isn't too costly obv.
                                                        That is probably the truest word said here tbh!

GOLF it is
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                          That is probably the truest word said here tbh!

GOLF it is
                                                          go for it ...

Comment

Golf is awsome, however I am currently too poor to play and haven't since I left Sligo, where I used to terrorise my teachers in leagues.
                                                            I would lvoe to start golf again when I am able and get back to the handicap it took so long to get. I'm imagineing dire dire scores these days if I play

You clearly viewed poker as a fun past time and spent money on it, I see no problem spending money on having fun, the amount matters obviously, so i guess find something cheaper that is fun.
                                                            Poker paid for university for me - was great doing things like a trip up to dublin and winning the team event in Stephens poker open and having money for uni, and my home games were great fun, but all I'd ever view it as was something fun to do with friends and have a drink.

I'd love to play in cheap home games again but thats about it for me and poker. MSN...join ussss

Comment

First Friday night down in years without a game of poker.

Off to bed now shortly. The late late show and the takeaway and the bottle of Cava was quite nice

Surely up 70 quid so far, thats the Grand national sorted for tomorrow.
                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

Actually rocked up to the fitz lat night for first time in ages. Had been in the pub since 8 so good prep. Took out 250 to play but as they were all short on the table decided on 150 buy in. 75 minutes later walked out with 465 profit.
                                                                Limited fun at table tbh so won't be rushing back.

Sat nav glad you got through the night, wish you all the best

Comment

over 2 weeks now since I have played online. Thought I would be going mental with the boredom. I actually cant believe how easy it has been. granted I have been on hols for a week but still havent really thought about it since. I have deffo done alot of jobs around the house and especially the garden.

So for anyone who is in a similar position and is wasting both time and money now is a perfect time to do other things , especially with the clocks changing and the good weather!
                                                                  Last edited by SatNav; 16-04-14, 22:22.
                                                                  Her sky-ness
                                                                  © 5starpool

Comment

I don't think its possible to make money from poker these days without putting in loads of study of the game. I was unemployed in 2009 and was able to make $12 an hour playing low stakes tourneys on ipoker, these days I'm a loser at those games because everyone has gotten a lot better. Last year I moved to New York where I cant play online poker and its the best thing ever, I actually go out and do things as opposed to sitting in a room on my own clicking buttons.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    X