Did I just make a bad lay down??? 2thewanderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I just make a bad lay down??? 2thewanderer

PokerStars Hand #109086477242: Tournament #836107468, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level XXVI (1600/3200) - 2013/12/25 23:47:08 WET [2013/12/25 18:47:08 ET]
    Table '836107468 574' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
    Seat 1: JKB2804 (180184 in chips)
    Seat 2: PCMT (42875 in chips)
    Seat 3: giacomina72 (49025 in chips)
    Seat 4: VasyaK (26731 in chips)
    Seat 5: JuanCar2410 (51048 in chips)
    Seat 6: 2thewanderer (229933 in chips)
    Seat 7: Ricer88 (85350 in chips)
    Seat 8: Zandbergs (99505 in chips)
    Seat 9: munchiedude (181796 in chips)
    JKB2804: posts the ante 400
    PCMT: posts the ante 400
    giacomina72: posts the ante 400
    VasyaK: posts the ante 400
    JuanCar2410: posts the ante 400
    2thewanderer: posts the ante 400
    Ricer88: posts the ante 400
    Zandbergs: posts the ante 400
    munchiedude: posts the ante 400
    giacomina72: posts small blind 1600
    VasyaK: posts big blind 3200
    *** HOLE CARDS ***
    Dealt to 2thewanderer [Qd Ks]
    JuanCar2410: folds
    2thewanderer: raises 3200 to 6400
    Ricer88: folds
    Zandbergs: folds
    munchiedude: folds
    JKB2804: calls 6400
    PCMT: folds
    giacomina72: folds
    VasyaK: calls 3200
    *** FLOP *** [Qs Th 8h]
    VasyaK: checks
    2thewanderer: bets 9600
    JKB2804: raises 19200 to 28800
    VasyaK: folds
    2thewanderer: calls 19200
    *** TURN *** [Qs Th 8h] [6s]
    2thewanderer: checks
    JKB2804: bets 41000
    2thewanderer: calls 41000
    *** RIVER *** [Qs Th 8h 6s] [Td]
    2thewanderer: checks
    JKB2804: bets 103584 and is all-in
    2thewanderer: folds
    Uncalled bet (103584) returned to JKB2804
    JKB2804 collected 164000 from pot

"Did I just make a bad lay down???"

Probably a good laydown imo. If KQ is winning then so is A high.
    twitter
    moneybookers

Comment

Now that confused me???

Did you read the hand right?

Comment

HUD stats or any reads/tendencies etc would be handy but assume you have none.
        Alot of his raising range on the flop will consist of combo draws as well as nutted hands J9 2 pairs etc, it's so rarely air imo
        If you had Kh or Qh a few combos could be eliminated but without them his range is a tad wider. I think you must make the decision on the turn, if you call turn and rivers bricks then it's probably a call, as played I probably wake up with a call but perhaps folding turn is best.

Comment

Hmm, extremely low signal/noise.

Comment

If you called the turn you should have called the river

I think the combos of draws that missed far outnumber the number of nut hands that take this line

you can justify any line you like once you have a decent reason for it so maybe if you told us your reasons for laying it down we could have a better discussion on it

Comment

Originally posted by sniperaction View Post
              Now that confused me???

Did you read the hand right?
              Pssst... If you didn't understand his post then perhaps asking him to elaborate would be the nice thing to do rather than assuming he misread the hand. You probably don't realise that Chris is one of the best tournament players in Ireland and someone you want to keep on your side if you're genuinely looking for advice.

This spot is really dependent on your impression of the villain. Like do you think he could be doing this with KJ, the nut flush draw or some kind of combo draw? Basically, how many bluffs are in his range for checkraising the flop, continuing turn and shoving river? You are only beating a bluff after all. He's probably not playing QJ like that unless he's a maniac, right?
              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

He was only new to the table and I didn't have many hands on him after about 40 hands after that he was running at 15/5 approx.

And just to clear up my earlier comment your right I didn't understand the comment and I was just reaching out for more information, but I am sure he will be happy you have his back.

Thank you all for your input much appreciated as always.

Comment

I actually laid it down because as it was playing out it just felt he had 88 but cant really base this on anything other then the dynamics due to lack of hands collected.

Comment

He was only new to the table and I didn't have many hands on him after about 40 hands after that he was running at 15/5 approx.

And just to clear up my earlier comment your right I didn't understand the comment and I was just reaching out for more information, but I am sure he will be happy you have his back.

Thank you all for your input much appreciated as always.
                    His comment means that, in his opinion, your hand is effectively the same as A high in this situation. Which means that whatever hands A high would beat are the only hands that your paired Q could beat. In other words your opponent never has QJ or A8 or stuff like that so therefore you can only beat a bluff.

Comment

I think you need to make your mind up on the turn to continue with the hand or not. After the flop raise and turn bet, it looks like AQ or 88 imo. If he was aggressive it could be KJh with a monster draw, but unlikely imo with position he would surely just check? So it's a fold for me.

Edit: Armani got there before me. So, what he said.

Comment

Yes Armani I understood the answer in the end.
                        I was a victim of my own ignorance

Comment

decent flop to c/c esp with stacks, balances our c/f range too though prob not overly important here. As played fold flop, fold turn, fold river.
                          "c'est en faisant n'importe quoi qu'on devient n'importe qui"

Comment

I dont agree you always have to make up your mind on the turn in these spots. You have more information on the river to make a decision. Loads of players are prepaired to fire 15-30% of their stack on the turn with draws/air but not many will stick the lot in with nothing on the river.
                            If you havent got solid info to call then give them the benifit of the doubt.
                            twitter
                            moneybookers

Comment

I actually laid it down because as it was playing out it just felt he had 88 but cant really base this on anything other then the dynamics due to lack of hands collected.
                              Sniperaction, you need to stop thinking this way. This is something I see lots of losing players do - simply picking one hand that your opponent could have and basing your decision on that hand alone, with only a small allowance made for other hands. You need to start putting your opponent on a range of hands, and basing your decisions on that range. This is hard. It requires some mental gymnastics. Doing it properly requires an understanding of the combinatorics of poker and a decent ability to guesstimate your hand's strength versus that range.

There are some decent training videos out there on how to use Pokerstove to analyse a hand, which would really drive home how important it is to construct your opponent's range properly.
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by BallymoreChris View Post
                                If you havent got solid info to call then give them the benifit of the doubt.
                                disagree. I think it completely player dependent. If you took this line I would need you to turn over the absolute nutleys before Id ever consider folding. In saying that considering the dude is 15/5 its probably a fold

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                  disagree. I think it completely player dependent. If you took this line I would need you to turn over the absolute nutleys before Id ever consider folding. In saying that considering the dude is 15/5 its probably a fold

1.If you had information on the player that would be considered information?
                                  OP has said he had no info of any importance on villian therefore im going to stick the villian in the no info box and give him the benifit of the doubt. Hope this makes sense.

2. If it was myself & yourself in the hand youd be correct to call with top pair Q kicker because against a calling station i would be shoving a lot worse for value
                                  twitter
                                  moneybookers

Comment

I'd fold flop but call river now. Really should have a plan for the hand on the flop.

Comment

I like your bet on the flop but now I'd fold, I think you have to fold the river, as said above at this stage of a tourney it is not too often you will get a player too bluff off his whole stack on a triple barrel bluff and villain has to know that you have a hand after you bet/call, ck/call. What are your own stats btw? Are you known for taking these lines of play on draws?

Comment

My own about 18/10 with no previous with the player

Comment

Working...
                                        X