This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
    LOL I couldnt give a fuck , I would do anything for a sale and dont care who's toes I step on to get one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AXTx4PcKI
    Second prize is a set of stake knives.

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
    it was the other american sports film on my watchlist ha, well watch that anyway. will get on 42 tomorrow
    3 tea stories now as you missed last nights.
    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Been in the Garth Brooks queue outside Centra Johnstreet since around 6 yesterday. Its fucking freezing now and a student just pissed on my sleeping bag but gonna be so worth it come July.

Comment

The Garth Brooks queues make me want to emigrate.

Comment

why are there so many queue's for garth brooks? do tickets not go on sale online at the same time?
          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
            Building and succeeding whilst competing against an amazing team.

Manyoo? Wana Cech themselves but they don't Eden Mata anymore to be Frank.

Fuck off
            I'll let you out of our bet now for €25.01, just transfer it on stars if ya want. One time offer though expiring in 36:45 hours
            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
              why are there so many queue's for garth brooks? do tickets not go on sale online at the same time?
              Pre-internet, where first in line at at each of the outlets would race each other for front row seats. But now a days you are racing with everyone.

That's not to say its a complete waste of time. There's going to be huge traffic on ticketmaster.ie later, its will be very laggy/crashy. Queuing up to order on their in-house system is probably more reliable

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                I'll let you out of our bet now for €25.01, just transfer it on stars if ya want. One time offer though expiring in 36:45 hours
                I'll let you accept defeat and double or quits on manyoo top 4.

Obviously you can get a better price but when ya owe the bookie 50...

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                  John busted pretty early on day 2.
                  Cheers for that,hopefully we see a deep run again soon

Comment

Mornimg winners.

Comment

morning, long night but nearly there now, singalong going atm

Comment

Think I'll buy some off ticketmaster this morning just to show how easy it it . lol
                        Her sky-ness
                        © 5starpool

Comment

Havent slept more than few hours a night in several week. Need quaaludes stat

Comment

Jose moaning about teams coming to Stamford Bridge and adopting defensive tactics.

Great start to the day.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Funking hard for Garth Brooks to be brown bread this time tomorrow.
                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                Funking hard for Garth Brooks to be brown bread this time tomorrow.
                                Prime time between now and the summer to form a Garth Brooks tribute act. You in?

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                  Prime time between now and the summer to form a Garth Brooks tribute act. You in?
                                  lol both yourself and Conor would need to start eating now to get into the right shape!!
                                  ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Don't really know killswitch engage but was given a ticket to see them last night randomly so went along, have to say it was a great gig for somebody that didn't know any songs of theirs, well apart from holy diver :-p

Killswitch Engage's music video for 'Holy Diver' - available now on Roadrunner Records. - CD: http://smarturl.it/DisarmDescentCD- iTunes: http://smarturl.it/...

Support were great, singer of the first support was on some form of drugs, especially noted when he jumped about 12-15 feet down to the stage,
                                    ran through the crowd grabbing people and shouting in their face to get them riled up.

Waiting for the bus in I see this guy in a suit dragging a typical looking scumbag fellow out of spar -stolen 500ml bottle of coke in his hand, said bag of scum was trying to run off but SuitMan ® was pulling him back,
                                    they wander up the road slowly and the police come bombing along, witht he staff pointing in the direction of the fugitive.

An upstanding member of society in sweatpants beside me remarks on how he knows this "retard";
                                    "He works in tha sparrr he was stealin' from, he's gonna get a bleedin' charge sheet over tha, I've seen it all now mister".

I get the bus into town and when I get off notice a car rolling down it's windows at the traffic lights, a guy rolls down the window and starts blaring Hare Krishna music and playing the spoons,
                                    very loudly singing..somewhat unimaginatively, "Hare Krishnaaa Harreeeee", over and over.

Walk on to the next lights and sure enough he is there doing it,
                                    he then proceeds to pull in, Michelle SatNav style, to seal the deal and starts playing his spoons beside us as we pass on the foothpath.
                                    We went and ate in the Hare Krishna restaurant, Govindas, before the gig.

Comment

Originally posted by chips1234 View Post
                                      looks like they needed just juan bit of magic
                                      Jose not a happy man at all, but Big Sam looked like the cat that got the cream!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

The Iona issue continues.

Some privately-owned news media can be described as having a particular editorial slant – but the state broadcaster has a duty to be balanced and challenge opinions that promote inequality, writes Catherine Murphy TD.

Kayroo, know much about defamation? What's this "Fair Comment" stuff? Should it have been allowed stand?

Comment

Breda O'Brien says the "legal definition" which RTÉ paid out on was a "fear, loathing and suspicion of gay people".

Is there any basis anywhere for that?
                                            Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-01-14, 11:12.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                              The Iona issue continues.

Some privately-owned news media can be described as having a particular editorial slant – but the state broadcaster has a duty to be balanced and challenge opinions that promote inequality, writes Catherine Murphy TD.

Kayroo, know much about defamation? What's this "Fair Comment" stuff? Should it have been allowed stand?
                                              There is no defence known as "Fair Comment". There is a defence to defamation known as "defence of fair and reasonable publication" and another known as "defence of honest opinion". That doesn't stop you from being liable and it doesn't stop you from being sued. It just means you can defend what you've said in Court.

I'd imagine RTE has some sort of standing policy to avoid these cases if at all possible. The damages in these cases can be massive so it's probably worth buying them off.

People who say "RTE should have defended it and stood over it" could well have been right in a moral or ethical context but as a business decision it probably was sound. You'd only defend it if you wanted to stand over it and since RTE has a mandate to be balanced in the public discourse and since it wasn't one of their employees who made the remark I can totally see why they'd just back away from it and gear up for the ridiculous tight rope walk they have to pull off over the next 18 months as Iona et al make whatever bullshit loopy religious points they want and never get called on it while anyone who identifies their position as inherently anti-gay is shouted down for incendiary rhetoric.

RTE are in a lose-lose here. I genuinely feel for their legal department and editorial department having to plot something close to a neutral course in what promises to be an ugly debate.
                                              You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                              World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                Breda O'Brien says the "legal definition" which RTÉ paid out on was a "fear, loathing and suspicion of gay people".

Is there any basis anywhere for that?
                                                What? Legal definition of homophobia?
                                                Last edited by Kayroo; 30-01-14, 11:25.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                  There is no defence known as "Fair Comment". There is a defence to defamation known as "defence of fair and reasonable publication" and another known as "defence of honest opinion". That doesn't stop you from being liable and it doesn't stop you from being sued. It just means you can defend what you've said in Court.

I'd imagine RTE has some sort of standing policy to avoid these cases if at all possible. The damages in these cases can be massive so it's probably worth buying them off.

People who say "RTE should have defended it and stood over it" could well have been right in a moral or ethical context but as a business decision it probably was sound. You'd only defend it if you wanted to stand over it and since RTE has a mandate to be balanced in the public discourse and since it wasn't one of their employees who made the remark I can totally see why they'd just back away from it and gear up for the ridiculous tight rope walk they have to pull off over the next 18 months as Iona et al make whatever bullshit loopy religious points they want and never get called on it while anyone who identifies their position as inherently anti-gay is shouted down for incendiary rhetoric.

RTE are in a lose-lose here. I genuinely feel for their legal department and editorial department having to plot something close to a neutral course in what promises to be an ugly debate.
                                                  so this is absolute spot on?

SPOILER
                                                  Originally posted by Peregrinus
                                                  Yup. He wouldn’t name names until O’Connor invited him to. Nor did he use the word “homophobe” until O’Connor asked him whether he would, and even then he prefaced his comments with a lengthy “talking-down” of what the concept entails - homophobes are not “horrible monsters”; they don’t “go around beating up gays”; homophobia is basically a good impulse (to benefit society) which has been misdirected. What O’Neill basically says comes down to this; homophobia is not hatred of or violence towards gays; it’s the failure to recognise the detriment to gays that your positions and beliefs and basically good impulses are causing. And in that rather limited sense O’Neill implicitly implicitly accepts the suggestion that Waters and the “Iona Institute crowd” are homophobes.

The practical legal problem for RTE is this: read as a whole, the comments do involve calling Waters, etc, homophobes. And calling someone a homophobe does, generally, tend to lower them in the eyes of your average right-thinking citizen, so it is prima facie defamatory. And if RTE were sued on this by, say, Waters, there are two main possible lines of defence.

Justification: “Yes, he’s a homophobe, and here’s the proof”. If you run this defence, the onus is on you to show that what you have said is true. You’ve got to bring in the evidence, and you’ve got to prove your claims to a fairly high standard, and to the satisfaction of a jury. And it’s a high-risk strategy because, if you fail to discharge the onus of proof, your attempt to do so will go very badly against you when it comes to measuring damages.

And I think we can probably agree that, for at least the sense of “homophobe” which implies motivation by hatred, violent attitudes and behaviour, being a “horrible monster”, etc, it would not be easy to produce hard evidence to pin that on John Waters. “I strongly disagree with what he writes” just doesn’t cut it.

Fair comment on a matter of public interest: “Yes, I called him a homophobe, but I meant it in the nicest possible sense - I meant that he advocated policies and positions which, in practice, are disadvantageous to gays, that those policies and principles are unjustified, and that he failed either to recognise this or to accept responsibility for it”. The problem here is that the “nicest possible sense” argument does not play well in a defamation trial. You don’t get to redefine words in a defamation trial; if you use the word “homophobe” what matters is not what you meant by it, but what the jury thinks people would ordinarily understand by it. So if you called Waters a homophobe and the jury thought that that ordinarily implied certain attitudes and certain behaviours that you haven’t proved Waters to be guilty of, well, you’re in a sticky position.

Sure, you can point to the context, and you can say you explained clearly the very limited sense in which it was alleged that Waters could be regarded as a homophobe, and you could invite the jury to consider all that and take the comments in totality and not focus on the word “homophobe”. And if you got the right jury you might be OK. But it’s not a risk-free strategy.

Plus - licence-fee payers please bear in mind - defamation trials are hugely expensive. Pick a figure of what you think they might cost. Now double it. Now treble that again. Now add the number you first thought of. Now you’re getting close.

So I can see RTE making a calculation here - we can run this, and we have an arguable case, and may very well win. But we may lose and, if we do lose, it will cost us large numbers of squillions. (And even if we win it will cost us small numbers of squillions.) And that’s a kind of cost we might be prepared to bear to defend investigative journalism. But an entertainment-based chat show? Nah, not a chance. Throw a few shillings at the complainants and move on.

Don’t get me wrong. I wish to God RTE had fought this one, but I’m not amazed that they didn’t. And I don’t honestly think their calculation here had anything to do with the power of vested conservative interests.

Comment

the ridiculous tight rope walk they have to pull off over the next 18 months as Iona et al make whatever bullshit loopy religious points they want and never get called on it while anyone who identifies their position as inherently anti-gay is shouted down for incendiary rhetoric.
                                                    With that in mind I think I'd question the wisdom of rolling over so easily on this.

What? Legal definition or homophobia?
                                                    Legal definition.
                                                    Last edited by Denny Crane; 30-01-14, 11:30.

Comment

SPOILER

Absolutely nail on head.

In fact the one thing he misses out on that I considered when thinking about the whole issue is the make up of the jury. You might go in and win on all fronts, total legal victory, but if the jury happens to be made up of people who ideologically tend towards the "gay marriages are bad" view of things then you could end up losing even if you have a watertight case.

Absolutely not worth the financial risk to back up a light entertainment programme. That being said if I was RTE I'd have Brendan O'Connor out the door at the first opportunity. He is brutal at the best of times but he absolutely created this shit storm and has left "Panti" as the focal point of it while people totally forget the role that O'Connor played in the whole thing.

Comment

There is a guy playing the EPT Deauville main event who looks like The Rigger, pic to follow.
                                                        "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Absolutely nail on head.

In fact the one thing he misses out on that I considered when thinking about the whole issue is the make up of the jury. You might go in and win on all fronts, total legal victory, but if the jury happens to be made up of people who ideologically tend towards the "gay marriages are bad" view of things then you could end up losing even if you have a watertight case.

Absolutely not worth the financial risk to back up a light entertainment programme. That being said if I was RTE I'd have Brendan O'Connor out the door at the first opportunity. He is brutal at the best of times but he absolutely created this shit storm and has left "Panti" as the focal point of it while people totally forget the role that O'Connor played in the whole thing.
                                                          Yeah, the Rory lad doesn't even mention "the word", nor does he identify the group as a bunch of "the words". O'Connor unwittingly seemed to manage to tie it to him though!

Comment

Legal definition.
                                                            There is no legal definition of homophobia of which I am aware. There would only be a legal definition if it was a crime to be homophobic or if some judge had made a pronouncement on the issue although, even if they did, in a defamation trial the first port of call here would be the Oxford English Dictionary which defines homophobia as "an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people". That would be the starting point for the Court although there would likely be discussion and debate as to what exactly was meant when the person said it in the context of the overall discussion.

Calling someone homophobic is certainly defamatory prima facie although that, in and of itself, as admitted by the Iona institute et al is interesting as it implies that they accept that having an aversion to homosexuality is wrong and that anyone accused of such would rightly be lowered in the eyes of right thinking members of society. Therefore, by obvious implication, right thinking members of society believe that homosexuality is a perfectly normal and correct way of living and that people with an irrational aversion to same are in the wrong. What an interesting position for the Iona Institute to take!

Comment

SPOILER

Pursuing this would be risky for Iona too. Very little upside in creating a situation of a Catholic Right-Wing think tank contesting a case with a drag queen over the meaning and use of the word homophobia

Comment

Therefore, by obvious implication, right thinking members of society believe that homosexuality is a perfectly normal and correct way of living and that people with an irrational aversion to same are in the wrong. What an interesting position for the Iona Institute to take!
                                                                To be fair that would be their line. They've no issue with homosexuality (some of their best friends are gay!). They just wish to protect traditional marriage from being "undermined" by SSM.

Although I'd be interested to see how John Waters would defend himself considering he's been quoted as saying they're out to undermine and destroy society out of jealousy.

Comment

Having it go to court would as said have been lose lose for RTE and the taxpayer.
                                                                  Having a general perception that Waters, O'Brien Quinn and Co are a bunch of extreme Catholic fundamentalists who will use the deficiencies in our legal system to screw a few quid out of RTE and pretend that it will somehow prevent people articulating what most people see as a fair and uncontroversial assessment of their widely stated views is a good thing.
                                                                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Calling someone homophobic is certainly defamatory prima facie although that, in and of itself, as admitted by the Iona institute et al is interesting as it implies that they accept that having an aversion to homosexuality is wrong and that anyone accused of such would rightly be lowered in the eyes of right thinking members of society. Therefore, by obvious implication, right thinking members of society believe that homosexuality is a perfectly normal and correct way of living and that people with an irrational aversion to same are in the wrong. What an interesting position for the Iona Institute to take!

It will be important for RTE and everyone who engages with them to drive this point home at every single opportunity until they crawl back under the rock from which they came.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                      Correcting An Assignment Where The Guy Has Capitalised Every Fucking Word In The Paper. How Do You Even Get Into That Headspace? How Do You Sit Down And Think 'I've Got A Crazy Idea To Reinvent Writing; This'll Blow His Mind'?
                                                                      Just put fAILED on the bottom and let him figure it out

Comment

With that in mind I think I'd question the wisdom of rolling over so easily on this.

Legal definition.
                                                                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                                                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Lots of Garth Brooks tickets up for sale already. Some guy even had them up 9 hours ago

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                            There is a guy playing the EPT Deauville main event who looks like The Rigger, pic to follow.
                                                                            Opinions?

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Speaking in the Seanad, Senator Power called on the Minister for Communications to address the Seanad over the recent revelations that RTÉ has made a financi...

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                Lots of Garth Brooks tickets up for sale already. Some guy even had them up 9 hours ago

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/musictic...Min&source=all
                                                                                Anyone who tries to sell above face value and then sticks up 'No Time Wasters' at the end of their ad probably deserves to have their time wasted via a series of 'will send the money tomorrow' failed promises. Someone do it plz.

Comment

Looks more like the GOAT than the Rigger but then again in his own way the Rigger is The GOAT.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                    I heard that alright. Literally no idea where she plucked that one from. I ran the expression through a couple of legal databases and by a friend of mine who does a lot of this work and nothing. The colleague thought I was running the title of an article past her.

As far as I can tell, and I know this will come as a shock to you, Breda is talking out of her hole. I stand to be corrected of course, perhaps there is some case that mentions those terms but I can't find it.

Comment

I'd hazard a guess that 95% of those ads are people winding up their mates.

Comment

I was slightly tempted to purchase and sell on with a mark up of €20 a ticket. I really dont like ticket touting so I left the idea go.
                                                                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                          I was slightly tempted to purchase and sell on with a mark up of €20 a ticket. I really dont like ticket touting so I left the idea go.
                                                                                          4 on ebay with a current bid of €990

LInk

Its not like you not to like a few easy quid.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                                                                            4 on ebay with a current bid of €990

LInk

Its not like you not to like a few easy quid.
                                                                                            I have a small few morals somewhere. I dont know touting tickets was always very frowned upon in GAA and then the Euro 2012 ticket crisis.

Id never be able to talk to someone on the phone and ask them for that kind of money. I most likely would have gave them to someone I know who seemed desperate.
                                                                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Anyone want to become my new landlord?

7 bedroom house with a Snooker Room, a snip at £140k

Comment

Anyone able to tell he how to go about getting tickets to the Barca v City game at Nou Camp and in the Barca end? Impossible?

Comment

...

Comment

Just thinking I haven't been near a doctor since I was a child. Can I just go to a local GP for a full NCT checkup or should I go somewhere more specialized?

Comment

Surprised you were even tempted

How would we feel about leading a tout on that we are going to buy tickets off him? He wants €950 for tickets worth about €550.

I said id meet him at Bewleys tomorrow is it taking it a bit far getting him there and not showing. I truly despise touts especially online ones. I could handle a lad on the street chancing his arm before a game.
                                                                                                      I feel like having some fun with a tout. Il make sure i agree to meet him during the matches tomorrow as hes most likely a football fan.
                                                                                                      Go big or go homeless.

Comment

http://itonlyencouragesthem.wordpress.com Senator Jim Walsh defends the Iona Institute

Comment

And the Iona Institute disappears in a puff of logic. Well played, Kayroo.
                                                                                                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Rachel Riley looking particularly good in blue today.
                                                                                                            "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                              Correcting An Assignment Where The Guy Has Capitalised Every Fucking Word In The Paper. How Do You Even Get Into That Headspace? How Do You Sit Down And Think 'I've Got A Crazy Idea To Reinvent Writing; This'll Blow His Mind'?
                                                                                                              I'm pretty sure that's a copy and paste issue.
                                                                                                              I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                                I'm pretty sure that's a copy and paste issue.
                                                                                                                wOULD hAVE bEEN bETTER iF hE dID iT lIKE tHIS fOR tHE cRAIC

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                  Homo

Comment

...

Comment

Just thinking I haven't been near a doctor since I was a child. Can I just go to a local GP for a full NCT checkup or should I go somewhere more specialized?
                                                                                                                      Equivalent of asking a traffic lights Herald seller for a full mechanical and electrical check up of your car.

We have discussed options here before, V for example was one who had one. Think they cost around the €200ish mark from a few places.

The Mater private do them. Others are Googleable.

Comment

Happy Chinese New Year! It's the year of the horse this year, that may be a sign to a few here, it's 00:14 here and place is gone mad on fireworks there are two cars already on fire and that's just in the apt block here! Crazy Chinese!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                                                                                          LMFAO at the guys on the numbers game.

50 / 75 / 6 / 3 / 9 /10 ...... 407

1st guy declares 406 and says '75+50 is 125. Times 3 is 425' Eh, sorry bud

Next guy declared 400 so he's 7 away.

'75 x 6 is 450, minus 50 is 400'

WTF is wrong with people!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X