Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Divil the bother (on me)' means i have no bothers (on me) - ie. i'm grand.

Perhaps derived from 'the devil wouldn't bother me right now' but that's a guess.

Divil (Devil) is commonly used around Ulster (and perhaps elsewhere i dunno) for all sorts of things, 'the poor divil', the 'dirty divil'.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyHiFi View Post
      'Divil the bother (on me)' means i have no bothers (on me) - ie. i'm grand.

Perhaps derived from 'the devil wouldn't bother me right now' but that's a guess.

Divil (Devil) is commonly used around Ulster (and perhaps elsewhere i dunno) for all sorts of things, 'the poor divil', the 'dirty divil'.
      That makes sense.

'Divil' is quite common in Dublin too.

I thought he was saying 'divil a bother'
      I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Would a meat thermometer accurately measure air temperature, or even be close to it?

Mine's reading 25.4c

I'm thinking it's close, it's too warm to even wear a t shirt right now, and I'm in shade.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
          That makes sense.

'Divil' is quite common in Dublin too.

I thought he was saying 'divil a bother'
          Similar to the phrase 'divil a bit' meaning nothing or not a bit. Seems like he just replaced bit with bother.
          Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
            Similar to the phrase 'divil a bit' meaning nothing or not a bit. Seems like he just replaced bit with bother.
            We have great craic in work taking him off.

Love that ahhcsent so I do

Comment

Saw Joe Duffy in the Chesterfield Hotel in Mayfair today.

[x] Beat

Comment

Would a meat thermometer accurately measure air temperature, or even be close to it?

Mine's reading 25.4c

I'm thinking it's close, it's too warm to even wear a t shirt right now, and I'm in shade.
                Google says yes

Ask questions on any topic, get real answers from real people. Have a question? Ask it. Know an answer? Share it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
                  Cool!

It's 23.6 now, if it keeps falling like this it may even snow.

Still no need for upper body adornments as of yet.

Comment

just got emailed this!

I heard some people in the canteen saying (after arranging to bring their sandwiches outside), "sure, it would be a crime to be inside on a day like this." get a fucking life...and then end it. as if we're that sun-starved. I swear, this would be a great country - it it wasn't for all the stupid cunts living here. No wonder tourists always say "you have a beautiful country." Yeah, to look at - preferably from a distance, like, from a space station...As you can tell, I'm really enjoying the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by rounders123 View Post
                      just got emailed this!

I heard some people in the canteen saying (after arranging to bring their sandwiches outside), "sure, it would be a crime to be inside on a day like this." get a fucking life...and then end it. as if we're that sun-starved. I swear, this would be a great country - it it wasn't for all the stupid cunts living here. No wonder tourists always say "you have a beautiful country." Yeah, to look at - preferably from a distance, like, from a space station...As you can tell, I'm really enjoying the heat.
                      GFY would be my reply

Comment

GFY would be my reply
                        Ah you need to know the guy i suppose, its said in the family guy kinda way.

Comment

Today I switched to my most hated garment. Ankle socks. I need some decent flip flops it seems, left them in Canada.
                          Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            The Basil D'Oliveira doc on BBC4 is excellent.
                            Good documentary alright, only watched it as it was after the Kerry Packer drama but very enjoyable. The incidental music was from an old Four Tet album so good to hear it again.

Comment

@ Semibluff and Megatron or anyone else who lives in that crazy part of the world.

We have a customer from Drogheda, anytime I answer the phone to him he always says the strangest thing.

I'd always say to him 'ah Johnny, how ye doin?'

He always without fail replies 'ah divel a bother, divel a bother' at least that what it sounds like.

Wtf is he saying?
                              divel the bit is one I'm familiar with. ie had the devil on the bridle and riding life hard
                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                              Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                              https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

If i were to sell a phone thats locked to the three network. Would 3 be able to block the phone if there was a different sim in it .

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                  If i were to sell a phone thats locked to the three network. Would 3 be able to block the phone if there was a different sim in it .
                                  Not unless you report it stolen.

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                    Today I switched to my most hated garment. Ankle socks. I need some decent flip flops it seems, left them in Canada.
                                    Ankle socks are excellent, probably my favourite of the sock family. I think there is a place in this weather for both ankle socks and flip flops* depending on what you are doing.

*Please note I am not suggesting wearing both together, obviously.

Comment

Hello children, I am in Dublin town now for a job interview tomorrow, one question really,

where am I going to play poker tomorrow night? I'm in Blackrock.

In other news, the m50 southbound looked quite picturesque, and Google maps navigation is a godsend. Didn't crash once!
                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by DAMO72 View Post
                                          Vodafone blocked my iPhone anyway, sim was still in but think they blocked the imei number, seems it can't be unblocked by anyone else and looks like they can do it even with another sim in but would do some homework on imei codes first.

Comment

in bed with swollen feet propped up on pillows and now have a thumping headache
                                            Always get swollen feet after flying but usually goes fairly quick, doesnt seem to be improving and have to work tomorrow. hopefully can squeeze them into flip flops
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

Feels like a waste not to eat outside every evening when it's like this, there must be more options besides nede/church central to town?

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                Feels like a waste not to eat outside every evening when it's like this, there must be more options besides nede/church central to town?
                                                Some might say it's a crime even.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Micknail View Post
                                                    Hello children, I am in Dublin town now for a job interview tomorrow, one question really,

In other news, the m50 southbound looked quite picturesque, and Google maps navigation is a godsend. Didn't crash once!
                                                    HU4ROLLZ in Greystones.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                      HU4ROLLZ in Greystones.
                                                      have you ever left wickla?

Is bull island full of bulls?

Is AJ still alive?
                                                      ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

have you ever left wickla?

Is bull island full of bulls?

Is AJ still alive?
                                                        Once. It was horrible.

Bullshitters Island, Bull for short. Has your typical Dubs on it.

AJ was in Bray, might be the end of him.

Comment

Just home, we survive.

Bray good fun this evening in truth, no hassle, no obvious drunks or troublemakers -everyone on best behaviour.
                                                          The summer funfair is quite good as well, would recommend for a few hours entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                            Just home, we survive.

Bray good fun this evening in truth, no hassle, no obvious drunks or troublemakers -everyone on best behaviour.
                                                            The summer funfair is quite good as well, would recommend for a few hours entertainment.
                                                            Obviously been kidnapped by a person from Bray.

Comment

Mind blown

Built during the Great Depression, the project took a little more than a year. The dangerous nature of constructing what was then the world's tallest building can be seen in these photos from the New York Public Library's collection.

Comment

They have this yoke as part of the funfair, I think if it goes wrong people will be launched towards Holyhead.

Walter Murphy's 2Extreme at the Nottingham Goose Fair October 2010. If your on Facebook, why not check out the group Fun Fairs UK, for fun fair listings, pho...

Comment

Just home, we survive.

You are lucky, that is a prominent wolfpack members territory.
                                                                  Did you get CLAMPED?

Was the mountain really big?
                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

You are lucky, that is a prominent wolfpack members territory.

Was the mountain really big?
                                                                    We didn't make the mountain, ran out of daylight after spending too long at the funfair and the other delights of the promenade. (I sound like an ad for Bray. That name again, Bray.)
                                                                    Its not the sort of mountain you can risk unless everything is perfect.

We will try again on Thursday.

Comment

We didn't make the mountain, ran out of daylight after spending too long at the funfair and the other delights of the promenade. (I sound like an ad for Bray. That name again, Bray.)
                                                                      Its not the sort of mountain you can risk unless everything is perfect.

We will try again on Thursday.
                                                                      Are you on about Bray Head?

Driving? Go up to Kilmacanogue and climb Sugar Loaf instead. Much better views from the top.

Comment

would love an absolute shitload of crisps
                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                            unbelievable that there was only 5 deaths and only one was a fall from a scaffold

How many people died while building the Empire State Building?
                                                                            Though rumors of hundreds of people dying on the work site circulated during the time of its construction, official records state that only five workers were killed: one worker was struck by a truck; a second fell down an elevator shaft; a third was hit by a hoist; a fourth was in a blast area; and a fifth fell off a scaffold.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                                                              Ankle socks are excellent, probably my favourite of the sock family. I think there is a place in this weather for both ankle socks and flip flops* depending on what you are doing.

*Please note I am not suggesting wearing both together, obviously.
                                                                              The normal white socks, with the fold over suffice also!
                                                                              GAA News Website

Comment

Simply can't get over what I've been missing out on, with not having watched Game of Thrones before, it's immense. Just starting the last episode of season 1 now.

Comment

91.8%
                                                                                  Can't really get it in better AIPF in PLO. 9unless he has 4 deuces or some shit)

Poker Stars Pot-Limit Omaha Tournament, 30/60 Blinds (2 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Hero (BB) (t1,480)
                                                                                  SB (t1,520)

Hero's M: 16.44

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K, A, A
                                                                                  SB bets t150, Hero raises t480, SB raises t1,340 (All-In), Hero calls t940 (All-In)

Flop: (t2,960) 2, Q, 4 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t2,960) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t2,960) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t2,960

Results below:
                                                                                  SB had 9, K, K, 4 (two pair, Kings and twos).
                                                                                  Hero had K, K, A, A (two pair, Aces and twos).
                                                                                  Outcome: Hero won t2,960
                                                                                  Last edited by welkin; 10-07-13, 00:53.

Comment

Originally posted by brady23 View Post
                                                                                    Simply can't get over what I've been missing out on, with not having watched Game of Thrones before, it's immense. Just starting the last episode of season 1 now.
                                                                                    What are you complaining about?

There's another two seasons right there and waiting for you, everyone else has to wait a year

Comment

What an interesting hand

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                        What an interesting hand
                                                                                        Wasn't suppose to be interesting it's just an outrageously high % to get it AIPF in PLO

Comment

Originally posted by welkin View Post
                                                                                          91.8%
                                                                                          Can't really get it in better AIPF in PLO. 9unless he has 4 deuces or some shit)

Poker Stars Pot-Limit Omaha Tournament, 30/60 Blinds (2 handed) - Poker Stars Converter Tool from http://www.flopturnriver.com

Hero (BB) (t1,480)
                                                                                          SB (t1,520)

Hero's M: 16.44

Preflop: Hero is BB with K, K, A, A
                                                                                          SB bets t150, Hero raises t480, SB raises t1,340 (All-In), Hero calls t940 (All-In)

Flop: (t2,960) 2, Q, 4 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Turn: (t2,960) 10 (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t2,960) 2 (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t2,960

Results below:
                                                                                          SB had 9, K, K, 4 (two pair, Kings and twos).
                                                                                          Hero had K, K, A, A (two pair, Aces and twos).
                                                                                          Outcome: Hero won t2,960
                                                                                          This has made my night, ty.

Comment

Ah, the pathetic sarcasm of internet poker nerds.

God i miss 2+2.
                                                                                            Good to see the same level of social skills and general winningness is on display here too.

Comment

Fml, there are sweat shops in India with cooler temperatures than this brewery. Someone call Amnesty, I can't work in these conditions.
                                                                                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                What an interesting hand
                                                                                                You don't get AAKKds very often. Worthy of a bbv post alone imo. Don't mind them welkin, post away.

Comment

God i miss 2+2.
                                                                                                  Good to see the same level of social skills and general winningness is on display here too.
                                                                                                  Welcome Friendo.

Tell us a bit about yourself why don't ya?
                                                                                                  Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                                                                                    The normal white socks, with the fold over suffice also!
                                                                                                    Nah fold over is only when all ankle socks are dirty. Would say they do not suffice in general.

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                        Bring it on
                                                                                                        Not sure what kind of car SP drives, the display looks like a Peugeot or a Citroen. Their outside temperature sensor is mounted under the offside mirror. It measures the ambient air temperature but it can be affected by reflections from the road and car itself and generally works better when the car is constantly moving.
                                                                                                        I notice he has his trip computer set in miles too, keeping it oldschool

Comment

Flight home delayed. That's 3 out of six flights delayed this trip. Screw you Delta.

Comment

God i miss 2+2.
                                                                                                            It genuinely made my night.

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
                                                                                                              It genuinely made my night.
                                                                                                              Hello CHD

Comment

well

UOTE=Semibluff;722396]VNSFW and not suitable for those with a queasy stomach either.

Ref sends a player off in amateur match in brazil.

Player kicks ref

Ref pulls out a pocket knife stabs player repeatedly who dies on the way to hospital

Brother of dead player kill and dismember referee. Putting his head on a spike in the middle of the pitch.

link shows the body and its parts : http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ab6_1372968263[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                                Cut clamp Off and hide it. Claim there was no clamp when you got to car so either it wasn't clamped or there is some sort of clamp fairy. Ask them to prove otherwise. Wish them a good day
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                                                So finally home!

So just a quick post about a funny incident while in Dubrovnik

Myself and Seva were bridsmaids for the wedding and her Apartment was a 10 min walk from mine. I had got my hair and make up done and put the dress in a bag and walked down to meet her so we could get a taxi to The palace Hotel to meet Nadia for photos in the room. It was shoving 2.15 and I was like will ya come on or we will be late so off we go out on to the street with the dresses on and all dolled up. Her husband came to flag a taxi down.

Every fucking taxi that passed had someone in it. Next min seva is waving the arms about and jumping up and down in the bridesmaid dress waving to an oncoming taxi when I realise its not a taxi but a driving instructer with a big yellow yoke on the roof, he passes waving and indicates that he is pulling across the road. I am now nearly minus any make up I had applied with tears running down my face , her husband is bent over on the road laughing as we are tearing across the street to jump in to the kind mans car all glammed up.
                                                                                                                So he gets out to open the front door and we jump in the back with seva saying in broken english oh god thank you so so much , the palace hotel please, we are going to a wedding!!

While I am fixing myself and her squealing with delight , a young girl gets into the driver side and himself gets into the passenger seat, at this point I genuinely I had to hold myself down below as I was very near pissing myself. He was NOT pulling in for us obv! Seva looks at me, I look at her, the pupil and him just turned around staring at us in the back seat dressed the exact same plastered in make and both with tears streaming down their faces he says " ok drive , The palace hotel, and hits the indicator for her.

She is clearly only on about her second lesson as is conking out and shunting the whole way to the palace, me and seva are just staring straight ahead at this point because everytime I look at her , we both grunt and snort and burst out laughing again. The two in the front are speaking in croatian and laughing away lightly.

So we finally get there and I go " aw thanks so much for this, How much do we owe you " he goes " nothing now go and enjoy the day! " hahahhahahhahaha

SPOILER
                                                                                                                Originally posted by Foxy View Post
                                                                                                                Joe Dolan on RTE1.
                                                                                                                Class.
                                                                                                                Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                                I thought he was dead.
                                                                                                                Cool!

It's 23.6 now, if it keeps falling like this it may even snow.

Still no need for upper body adornments as of yet.

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                  Hello CHD
                                                                                                                  Hi.

Comment

fcuking cat just went into labour gonna be a long fucking night

Comment

Haven't posted in over two weeks as I have been in the states. I'm heading home tomorrow so relaxing tonight.

I'd like quick thoughts on the following incident at home.

My GFs mother was walking there 3 month old Yorkie poo on the beach on a lead! The puppy got set on by 7 dogs who were brought to the beach by there owner! The puppy obviously died.

The gardai were called and the man ( from a rough area of Cork) agreed to get the dogs put down and pay £300.

The GF does not want the dogs put down as you can't blame 7 dogs for a terrible owner. Is a conviction possible ?

We are a bit removed from the situation until we get home Friday but if any one has suggestions on how they think it should be handled if like to hear.
                                                                                                                      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Put the owner down and feed him to the dogs
                                                                                                                        Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                                        Haven't posted in over two weeks as I have been in the states. I'm heading home tomorrow so relaxing tonight.

I'd like quick thoughts on the following incident at home.

My GFs mother was walking there 3 month old Yorkie poo on the beach on a lead! The puppy got set on by 7 dogs who were brought to the beach by there owner! The puppy obviously died.

The gardai were called and the man ( from a rough area of Cork) agreed to get the dogs put down and pay £300.

The GF does not want the dogs put down as you can't blame 7 dogs for a terrible owner. Is a conviction possible ?

We are a bit removed from the situation until we get home Friday but if any one has suggestions on how they think it should be handled if like to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                                          What exactly makes it the owners fault. As that would decide if he could be convicted on something to do with the attack.

For example, if he was purposely breeding/training them to fight - he's probably broken the law, he's responsible for the attack and could be convicted I would imagine.
                                                                                                                          On the other hand, dogs do occasionally fight, the owner can't always prevent it. Not saying that was the case here, I just mean in a general sense.

What breeds were the other dogs? I assume it wasn't against the law to have dogs off of a lease on the beach in general. But certain breeds must be kept on a lead and muzzled at all times. The usual suspects, pit bulls, pull terriers, staffs, Dobermann, German shepherd, ridgeback, Rottweiler, akita.

Other than that there's fines for not having a dog license and stuff like that.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X