X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Even though AAPL is down from 700 to 580 they are still amazingly up almost 40% YTD Once the Nexus 4 splats the market for iPhone 5 and the world begins to realise that it's not very smart to pay more for less I can see it sinking towards its inherent value which of course is a fraction of 580. As a long term bet it is probably worth less than the cash it holds. The company is effectively rudderless, the infighting and power jockeying could destroy them.
      I'm not sure that Google will be the big winners or if there can be winners when a ridic bubble on this scale bursts though if Microsoft play their cards right with Win8 they could pick up a lot of business across the range.

AAPL still a huge Sell and MSFT a tentative buy.
      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
        As a long term bet it is probably worth less than the cash it holds. The company is effectively rudderless, the infighting and power jockeying could destroy them.
        Describing MSFT there too.
        Last edited by Denny Crane; 08-11-12, 12:35.

Comment

I'm not sure that Google will be the big winners or if there can be winners when a ridic bubble on this scale bursts though if Microsoft play their cards right with Win8 they could pick up a lot of business across the range.

AAPL still a huge Sell and MSFT a tentative buy.
          Speaking of which, has anyone got any opinions in Windows 8? I upgraded the home computer to it last night (from Vista) and messed around with it for half an hour, it will take a bit of getting used to I think...

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
            Wiesbaden outside Frankfurt at the moment. Heading on to Cologne tomorrow. You anywhere close? Apparently Cologne is crazy this week with a million people at their 11:11 carnivale. Wife is flying in to Amsterdam tomorrow - making a quick stop in that city to pick up some essential supplies before catching the train to Cologne, so we'll be stocked up Hunter S. Thompson style for the weekend
            Yeah Cologne is a decent spot, heading to Berlin.

Comment

€40 a month for that is crazy imo. They're also giving you an old phone that you'll have to hang on to for 2 years.

New Nexus 4 coming out in less than a month can be bought for about €300 unlocked and then you could spend about a tenner a month with 3 (€20 topup lasts about 7 weeks as per Switcharoo). You're ahead vs the contract after about a year, and if the phone is anything like the Nexus 7 it'll be spectacular and way more powerful than the iphone 4s.

Should be able to sell the phone after a year for about half price too if you wanted to upgrade to the next Nexus, whereas there will be zero resale on an iphone that by the time your contract is up will be three iterations of iphones out of date.

In fact you will be saving about €600 over the two years with a Nexus vs that contract (€480 wasted in the second year @€40 per month, plus resale value of Nexus which we'll round down to €120). Hefty amount extra to be paying for something worse?
              while I have no doubt that there is some merit to your argument you have just used what statistics suited you to come up with the deficit difference. For example I can upgrade to the latest iphone after a year of my contract and sell off the 4s. At the moment a brand new 4s is going for about €570 so to suggest it will have 0 resale value is a bit of a stretch. If I use the same logic that I can sell it for half price I can get roughly 280 for it.

A new nexus 4 is going to cost slightly more than 300 beans Id wager considering the trouble that is going on at the moment with the pricing scheme but it doesnt really matter much at the end of the 2 years I'll have the newest iphone which will be comparable to the latest nexus (which is better is subjective)

Finally I easily spend more than 20 quid every 7 weeks. On my current meteor deal which was free texts I was spending circa 30 quid a month and I had the ultimate brick "smartphone".

Basically my your best case, my worst case I am down 600 quid
              your worst case, my best case it,s pretty much the same

Id imagine it will fall somewhere in between

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                I thought it was pretty standard to get massive discounts when signing up to a contract. I’m in a contract with Vodafone with my parents, an 18 month contract which started about 15 months ago. We got 3 free Galaxy S2s, €480 upfront credit to pay for a cancellation fee from 3 and a 20% discount from the monthly bill (makes it ~€90 +VAT a month between us IIRC) and more shared minutes/texts/data than we could ever use.
                The pricing on these deals is very opaque. You could look on it as hire purchase of the hardware but because your monthly bill does not come down in price once the 18 month period ends its important to keep getting the latest hardware from them or else to switch networks to the cheapest tariff until you need new hardware.

Comment

The pricing on these deals is very opaque. You could look on it as hire purchase of the hardware but because your monthly bill does not come down in price once the 18 month period ends its important to keep getting the latest hardware from them or else to switch networks to the cheapest tariff until you need new hardware.
                  Switching is pretty key to getting the best out of contract phones. The contract I described above was a business one, so it could be that Vodafone reckon business customers are less likely to switch than personal, hence they can offer bigger carrots upfront to get their custom. I must soon get onto 3 or O2 to see if they can offer me something actually, only a few months left on this contract

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                    Describing MSFT too there too.
                    Well, thats how its been for the last long time but maybe just maybe the times they are a changin.

Been thinking about it a bit recently and they have more or less bet the company on Win8 extending its reach right across mobile devices.
                    If they don't succeed in doing that the goldmine that is MS Office could shut down if they pull it off they might not just keep it open but find a few rich new seams to mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                      Anyone have any good Liar/Spoofer gifs?

People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

the phone talk reminds me that just renewed my contract with O2 for same I was on previously. Currently have the iPhone4 and happy with that but am eligible for an upgrade at the start of next month. If people need a phone for Christmas I may be able to oblige for a reasonable reduction on the RRP

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                          Switching is pretty key to getting the best out of contract phones. The contract I described above was a business one, so it could be that Vodafone reckon business customers are less likely to switch than personal, hence they can offer bigger carrots upfront to get their custom. I must soon get onto 3 or O2 to see if they can offer me something actually, only a few months left on this contract
                          I'm on personal but I use my own phone for work travel and thats been great if I just ring them up and threaten to go to O2 saying do you want to have a look at what I spent in month x and month y and I immediately get my upgrade.

The problem with this is that two years ago when I'd go anywhere I could run up a bill anything from 300 - 2K per week now instead I buy a local sim and €20 worth of data stick it in the smartphone Vodafone gave me and use skype Cabbage google plus and google phone to make any calls I need to and stick my sim into another phone and only answer calls on that when I have to.
                          So my last bill for three weeks away was something like €250!

Comment

do aib have their fx rates online anywhere?
                            On the home page it's Personal\Current Accounts\Foreign Exchange and then the buy and sell rates are in the related information on the left hand side.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Just on that. And have mentioned it before. But I'd say the greatest unnecessary cost that households have are these lazy direct debits - phone, broadband, bank fees, electricity, gas, unused gym, tv, health care. All things that are costs but there's no real difference is service who the provider is.

Managed to safe an ongoing €150 a month by decimating these costs back in August. Makes a huge difference in terms of money left to spend. By contrast, increments in job are €3,000 a year which translates into after tax €100 a month. So that €150 is 1.5 years of pay increases gained by doing nothing except spending a day ringing around a few places.
                                  Can you give examples of what sort of things you changed and saved on?

I agree with what you are saying about the phones, I recently went from €60 a month with O2 to €40 a month with 3. I have to say with Whatsapp, facetime and iMessages I will never go over my limit and will be very much under it most months.

I bet the above is true for BK but he is too proud to admit it. Like you would want to be on the blower an awful lot to specific more expensive numbers to go over €40 a month!!

Comment

Originally posted by Silver-Tiger View Post
                                    Anyone have any good Liar/Spoofer gifs?

Comment

Just on that. And have mentioned it before. But I'd say the greatest unnecessary cost that households have are these lazy direct debits - phone, broadband, bank fees, electricity, gas, unused gym, tv, health care. All things that are costs but there's no real difference is service who the provider is.

Managed to safe an ongoing €150 a month by decimating these costs back in August. Makes a huge difference in terms of money left to spend. By contrast, increments in job are €3,000 a year which translates into after tax €100 a month. So that €150 is 1.5 years of pay increases gained by doing nothing except spending a day ringing around a few places.
                                      Is this the same Hitch who returned to live in a fancy apartment in Dublin only a short year ago???
                                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                        nightshift back?
                                        When I can get away with it
                                        Went for a few drinks last night, ended up going to Bull Island beach.
                                        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                                          When I can get away with it
                                          Went for a few drinks last night, ended up going to Bull Island beach.
                                          You should have called in
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                            You should have called in
                                            Lol. Missed opp.
                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Comment

btw just looking at the German Google Play website and it has the Nexus 4 8gb at €300 and the 16gb at €350. That's just ridic competitive pricing!
                                                That's pretty cool, wonder how much shipping is from Germany? Could probably ask one of the German bloggers I know or there is a couple people in England who could buy it for me probably, I know it has wireless charging but wonder does that come as standard or is it just normal USB plug? Seems like I have a couple different options to chose from I've asked my cousin in Vegas if she would buy one from me and she said no probs would probably save an extra few €€€ with conversion.

Pretty indepth review of the phone HERE there isn't really anything in the "bad" list that would put me off it.

On your point with BK I don't really see a problem with him going do his phone route, I probably would have switched to 3 & taken their free SG3 for €40 a month as it's not a bad deal at all.

My friend and his missus do struggle from time to time with money but I'm baffled at why she has an €80 a month phone bill "I need my minutes" think the bill got upped because she was going over her original plan but all it would take would be a little monitoring, she uses WhatsApp/Facebook/Twitter/iMessage probably Viber too I keep mentioning that you can use Cabbage also and get your extra 300 texts etc but nope, could easily make it work but it's more down to being oblivious.

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                the phone talk reminds me that just renewed my contract with O2 for same I was on previously. Currently have the iPhone4 and happy with that but am eligible for an upgrade at the start of next month. If people need a phone for Christmas I may be able to oblige for a reasonable reduction on the RRP
                                                Are you going to sell the new phone or sell the old phone with the impeccable screen?
                                                "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Comment

"you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

... I'd say the greatest unnecessary cost that households have are these lazy direct debits - phone, broadband, bank fees, electricity, gas, unused gym, tv, health care.
                                                      There is nothing that is a greater waste of money than liquid soap.
                                                      What a brilliant play by Lever Bros. We will sell you a fraction of the usable product at a multiple of the price and you then pour 70% of it down the sewer.
                                                      Unreal!
                                                      A bar of soap costs €1 and lasts weeks a bottle of shower gel costs €4 and lasts a few days... If I could only persuade the women in my life of the validity of my argument

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                        That's pretty cool, wonder how much shipping is from Germany? Could probably ask one of the German bloggers I know or there is a couple people in England who could buy it for me probably, I know it has wireless charging but wonder does that come as standard or is it just normal USB plug? Seems like I have a couple different options to chose from I've asked my cousin in Vegas if she would buy one from me and she said no probs would probably save an extra few €€€ with conversion.

Pretty indepth review of the phone HERE there isn't really anything in the "bad" list that would put me off it.

On your point with BK I don't really see a problem with him going do his phone route, I probably would have switched to 3 & taken their free SG3 for €40 a month as it's not a bad deal at all.

My friend and his missus do struggle from time to time with money but I'm baffled at why she has an €80 a month phone bill "I need my minutes" think the bill got upped because she was going over her original plan but all it would take would be a little monitoring, she uses WhatsApp/Facebook/Twitter/iMessage probably Viber too I keep mentioning that you can use Cabbage also and get your extra 300 texts etc but nope, could easily make it work but it's more down to being oblivious.

Are you going to sell the new phone or sell the old phone with the impeccable screen?
                                                        Wow, that review really sold the phone to me.

2GB of RAM?! That's monstrous for a phone, the specs are more impressive than most tablets and netbooks in actual fact!

Comment

What a brilliant play by Lever Bros. We will sell you a fraction of the usable product at a multiple of the price and you then pour 70% of it down the sewer.
                                                          Unreal!
                                                          A bar of soap costs €1 and lasts weeks a bottle of shower gel costs €4 and lasts a few days... If I could only persuade the women in my life of the validity of my argument
                                                          lol @ using a bar of soap. That's really something from the dark ages.

Comment

You're a great man for the hyperbole!

If I remember rightly you questioned the use of 10c safety razor blades over the cartridge ones that cost 2.50? They're a far greater waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                              You're a great man for the hyperbole!

If I remember rightly you questioned the use of 10c safety razor blades over the cartridge ones that cost 2.50? They're a far greater waste of money.
                                                              He probably forgot.

Comment

Unreal!
                                                                I could counteract that by saying a bar of soap costs €2 and a bottle of shower gel costs €1. You can't make up prices to suit your argument. But seriously, lol @ using soap in the shower!

Comment

Comment

Own brand washing up liquid can actually be shit so you chose a poor example, but stuff like branded dishwasher tablets, washing powder/liquid, softener (does that shit even do anything?) etc. are definitely a waste.

Comment

Ive never tried heroin, but i reckon its not a patch on rush poker
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Ive never tried heroin, but i reckon its not a patch on rush poker
                                                                        No offence dude you gotta get out more may i recommend a few acid say 3 and a blast or two of the chinese pipe to calm you down then come back with rush poker.

Comment

although using brand name shower gel is a woefully bad life-choice. Actually most brand name household good items. My mum still buys Fairy washing up liquid - wtf. Paying a euro extra as if Fairy has some magic technology that will wash your dishes better. At least spend the money on stuff you will actually benefit from like good food.
                                                                          Idk if that's a good example. Seems to last forever.

I used to get 20yoyo bottles of shower gel, but got out of the habit since it was easier to just buy what's in the local shop.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                              Own brand washing up liquid can actually be shit so you chose a poor example, but stuff like branded dishwasher tablets, washing powder/liquid, softener (does that shit even do anything?) etc. are definitely a waste.
                                                                              You took HH's example, and then used an equally bad example yourself. Tesco/ASDA own brand washing powder/dishwasher tablets are far inferior than the better brands imo

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                I could counteract that by saying a bar of soap costs €2 and a bottle of shower gel costs €1. You can't make up prices to suit your argument. But seriously, lol @ using soap in the shower!
                                                                                Whatcha talkin about

£0.80

£3

And the bar of soap will last three times longer
                                                                                You are all suckers that have so completely bought the con!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                                  You took HH's example, and then used an equally bad example yourself. Tesco/ASDA own brand washing powder/dishwasher tablets are far inferior than the better brands imo
                                                                                  W3 or whatever the LIDL products are called are perfect. Also never had any probs with Tesco dishwasher tabs.

Comment

I used to get 20yoyo bottles of shower gel, but got out of the habit since it was easier to just buy what's in the local shop.
                                                                                    Ok I have no hair, so maybe its lost on me, but WTF? 20e for a bottle of shower gel

I'm trying to think what I would need to get with it to make it worthwhile and a blowjob is all I can come up with.

Comment

Of paying a couple of quid to use a far better product every day?

Comment

Id happily pay a couple of extra quid to not have to use a bar of soap in the shower times would want to be really bad for that
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Whatcha talkin about

£0.80

£3

how much is a bar of soap in Holland & Barrett these days?

You're getting crazy SP!

FWIW - Poundland / Dealz do that Sanex stuff for £1

Comment

How is it easy would it be to sneak in a few beers to the Aviva on Saturday to avoid the bar prices? Optimal amount?

Comment

Of paying a couple of quid to use a far better product every day?
                                                                                              I'm lost here explain any way in which liquid soap is a better product than a bar of soap.

If you think honestly about it you will realise that there is not a single one in fact the opposite is true and a bar of soap is a far superior proposition.

Comment

Whatcha talkin about

£0.80

£3

Here's soap in Tesco for 11p, so why not refine your argument even further?

I can get Radox/Lynx or whatever other shower gel for €1 so it's the same price as your bar of soap. I could go into the Bodyshop and buy a soap for €5. It's not really comparable. It's your choice if you want to wash your 'barse' with soap and then your face the next day. I'll stick to shower gel! Oh and shop around for Sanex. You're being robbed at that price!

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                  How is it easy would it be to sneak in a few beers to the Aviva on Saturday to avoid the bar prices? Optimal amount?
                                                                                                  surely hip flask or bottle of coke filled with vodka is the way to go. Beers would be messy to carry in.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                    Like cans are bulky and think they check bags a nagging be handiest?
                                                                                                    Probably be best not to drink match will be depressing enough.

Comment

Not a big fan of spirits though. Have got frisked going into soccer games before there. Only my second rugby international in the new stadium though not sure if they frisk ya?

Comment

As regards Wash up liquid, tesco own brand is brilliant exact same as fairy and only 69 cent. I am a woman I know! I have used all types of dishwasher tablets with Fairy ones being the best but the others are fine too . Regards liquid soap , I have it in downstairs toilet and upstairs toilet but prefer a bar of soap in my own bathroom as I wash my face with it ( Dove brand)
                                                                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

absolutely no problem bringing cans in. Tape em to your biceps.

Comment

I'm lost here explain any way in which liquid soap is a better product than a bar of soap.

If you think honestly about it you will realise that there is not a single one in fact the opposite is true and a bar of soap is a far superior proposition.
                                                                                                            lol have you ever used liquid soap?

Comment

Id happily pay a couple of extra quid to not have to use a bar of soap in the shower times would want to be really bad for that
                                                                                                              You associate bars of soap with poverty

Comment

I kind of think that all cleaning products are a scam, you could probably shower with toothpaste if you wanted

Comment

I know when I wash my face that the liquid soap I rub on my skin hasn't been previously rubbed against my ballsack after the gym.

That's a pretty decent benefit of liquid soap.

Comment

lol have you ever used liquid soap?
                                                                                                                    Yea and its shit, most of it goes straight down the sewer and you use huge amounts of it to achieve the same results.

I'm amused by how deluded y'all are as to the benefits of liquid soap - there are none you've been had

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                                                                      I know when I wash my face that the liquid soap I rub on my skin hasn't been previously rubbed against my ballsack after the gym.

That's a pretty decent benefit of liquid soap.
                                                                                                                      Do you know how a bar of soap works

Comment

Much difference between a Samsung Galaxy s3 and the Nexus 4?

Comment

I am obviously the meanest and smelliest man on the planet but I can be certain i get much more than 4 days out of shower gel.

The fact that it is also a lot nicer smelling than soap and the dove stuff I use has some sort of exfoliating balls and moisturiser in it leave my skin all nice and soft not dry and not smelling like a 1920's hospital is all good.

I hear to truly save money you should keep the fat trimmings from meat and make your own.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X