This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
    Why ask here lol. You are meant to be following the SW ethos. Check the diet as the SW diet is not a low carb diet. Go to the synsonline page and you can get an idea from there or look at the book you got when you joined.

I found the Carlton fine.
    2 syns each. I am sticking to SW but ave decided to snack on more protien stuff. Wanna do a kinda of a 2 week boost.
    Her sky-ness
    © 5starpool

Comment

Main Event on ESPN now

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
        Looking to get the folks a half decent cheapish TV for Christmas. Just comparing these 2 and 2 questions.

What's the big difference between LCD and LED and how much of a problem is it being HD ready and not 1080p full HD?

Folks in their 60s so it doesn't have to be really hitech so i'm pressuming either is fine. Both are the same price fwiw
        LED one every time imo. I'm looking at new tvs atm for us, opting for a Samsung smart LED, will probably get it within the next 2-3 months. But one thing I know for sure if that I'm deffo getting an LED screen.

I don't think your folks will see a massive difference in HD ready compared to full HD. I think it really depends on how much sport etc they watch, especially when trying to stay within budget. I do think the backlit LED screens improve all tv viewing though.
        . .

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
          Raddison Blu aniec if its Dublin airport
          Its actually really close
          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by one ill cat View Post
            LED one every time imo. I'm looking at new tvs atm for us, opting for a Samsung smart LED, will probably get it within the next 2-3 months. But one thing I know for sure if that I'm deffo getting an LED screen.

I don't think your folks will see a massive difference in HD ready compared to full HD. I think it really depends on how much sport etc they watch, especially when trying to stay within budget. I do think the backlit LED screens improve all tv viewing though.
            They don't have HD Channels anyway. I think the TV's are fine for what they will use it for. We have a Plasma and an LG LCD. I prefer the LCD over the Plasma but had not really heard of LED TV's.

Comment

Surely not?

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                Karen?

managed a year!
                Not someone called Karen, no.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                  They don't have HD Channels anyway. I think the TV's are fine for what they will use it for. We have a Plasma and an LG LCD. I prefer the LCD over the Plasma but had not really heard of LED TV's.
                  If they don't have HD channels then there's deffo no issue of HD ready vs full HD. I also would much prefer LCD over plasma, plasma tubes tend to blow after a couple of years so I don't see the point.

I like to think of LEDs like watching a movie on a very decent laptop, where the display is crystal clear. The screens also tend to be a good bit thinner than LCDs. I plan to get one in the sales after Christmas.
                  . .

Comment

I find it hard to watch stuff in non HD now.

@FD, get a backlit LED tv, FullHD, they are nearly all 'A' energy rated.

Edit, shirley they can recieve Rté HD for free nah?
                    ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by RoadSweeper View Post
                      Surely not?

http://mobro.co/zuroph
                      donate to my hairy lip!

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                        Looking to get the folks a half decent cheapish TV for Christmas. Just comparing these 2 and 2 questions.

What's the big difference between LCD and LED and how much of a problem is it being HD ready and not 1080p full HD?

Folks in their 60s so it doesn't have to be really hitech so i'm pressuming either is fine. Both are the same price fwiw
                        led all the way plus it has Energy Efficiency B rating not that that would swing it if it didn't.

edit. have an samsung smart led myself and still am blown away by the quality of the picture 5 months later
                        Last edited by Loopz; 07-11-12, 17:01.

Comment

HD makes no difference to most older people unless they are particularly techy.

Comment

Very interesting analysis of the actual usage of bitcoin tracing back over all transactions made in the scheme.
                            Zod or DP made an odd comment about bitcoin usage recently and I don't know how this will chime in with their thoughts but there is some interesting figures in the paper that point to there being very little big money changing hands and most of the money sitting down the back of the sofa.

http://eprint.iacr.org/2012/584.pdf
                            They keep referring to Mt. Gox, where as they should be callingit, correctly, Magic: The Gathering Online Exchange.
                            Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Grauniad hits the nail on the head re Romney:

Simon Tisdall: The Tea Party zealots, homophobes and misogynists hijacked Romney's campaign – and threaten the Republican party's future
                              "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Finkel View Post
                                Anyone recommend a hotel within spitting distance of the airport
                                The Regency Airport Hotel.

...not rly tho.
                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

D1 game going ahead tonight/is decent?

Don't want another repeat of Saturday.

Comment

Mia says " Mam why does chanel call Daddy Colm?"
                                    Me " cause she's an eejit"
                                    Mia "oh ok"

Her sky-ness
                                    © 5starpool

Comment

I reckon Vodka and Lilt could be a class drink. Could be the next big thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                        D1 game going ahead tonight/is decent?

Don't want another repeat of Saturday.
                                        Ya its a grand game can top up by 30 euro for 15k chips or 2.5k chips for a fiver.
                                        Gets crap shooty for final no antes in play but lol@ standard there.

Comment

First job offer on the table. Now to acquire No. 2 tomorrow and start playing poker.
                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

"Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                              First job offer on the table. Now to acquire No. 2 tomorrow and start playing poker.
                                              I dreamt last night that a friend took a job in the civil service, it felt as if he had died.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

I dreamt last night that a friend took a job in the civil service, it felt as if he had died.
                                                Passport office?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                                                  Grauniad hits the nail on the head re Romney:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...on-republicans
                                                  The guardians coverage of the US elections has been partisan and infantile, and that article, although not awful runs generally along those lines

Comment

I think it's the kids I feel happiest for. WP.
                                                    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

How sad am I ?

Watching the Abbey Road web cam for last 30 mins while I ate my tea

Find it relaxing

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Comment

RIP Corporal Jones

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                              The guardians coverage of the US elections has been partisan and infantile, and that article, although not awful runs generally along those lines
                                                              Look, there is an element of the current Republican tent that is racial and class prejudice; religion and intolerance; anti intellectualism and diversity. But people need to accept that on the other side of the coin there is an element of the Democratic tent that is anti wealth; environmentalist to militant extremes; anti business; and so on. I might not agree with it, but the traditional Conservative wing of the party (however diminished it may be) - that of smaller government and social freedoms - espouses a genuine political ideology that should not be dismissed out of hand. There is a childish glee from people I know on this side of the Atlantic when it comes to American politics - an arrogant sense that Americans are silly and the Republicans are backward and wrong on just about everything.

Republican candidates have now lost the popular vote in five of the last six elections and the demographics are moving in such a way that they need to stake out new political ground. How they assess this defeat will be interesting. They are in a very tough position and it will be difficult for any Presidential candidate to walk the tightrope within the party as it currently stands. In my view the Republican party is really two parties. And the ideal candidates for either wing would have been Ron Paul and, say, Huntsman respectively. A very significant chunk of Romney voters would probably have aligned more comfortably with Gary Johnson's view of the world - much as there would have been a portion of Obama voters who might rather vote for the Green Party or similar.

At the end of the day, America couldn't be more different. Their political center is way to the right of the European Center line, and I think you're spot on to point out that so much of what is written and said over this side of the Atlantic is cringe-worthy. Romney was in the Bob Dole ballpark for me - a man of no real principals or beliefs. Just like it would have been spectacular in 1996 if Buchanan had gotten the nod, we would have enjoyed a far more substantial and relevant campaign if Ron Paul had emerged from the Republican Primaries. Obama would have won anyway, but you could have scalped tickets for the debates and it might have served to produce a Goldwater effect for the Republican party and refocus and re-calibrate their position.
                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

He sang this then lived for another 41 years.

P.S. this was written by one fo the greatest bassists in the world, Herbie Flowers.
                                                                Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide to... View Post
                                                                  Some of the tactics in this election have been third world though. E.g. voters in Democrat parts of Florida like Miami-Dade having to queue until 1am to cast their vote as Republican person in charge of that task didn't allocate sufficient voting machines to those districts. How many people would have just given up?

Also trying to introduce highly onerous voter ID laws that Dems then have to go to Supreme Court to get quashed, yet election officials still turning people away for not meeting the id requirements.

This is the type of stuff that they'd write up in a report on e.g. Russian elections as evidence their system is corrupt.
                                                                  Republicans and Democrats aren't stupid. They know how the demographics play out, and realise that suppressing turnout or making it easier for people of limited time and income to vote respectively benefits them when the results are tallied. The indefensible part is that partisan influence gets exerted every two years depending on what side of the coin the elected officials in a given state are from when rules are getting finalized. This stuff should be set via the court system or managed by an impartial State Funded institution, etc. The lines yesterday across America were reminiscent of footage from African countries recently granted independence, etc. You shouldn't be able to play politics with such things, and it is without doubt the most damning aspect of the American political system.

Comment

I'm off to shoe party ffs what next. Obviously have to broke too. No shoes for me :-(
                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

Comment

What's a shoe party?

(Please don't be a party where a "friend" tries to sell you shoes)

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                            Obama would have won anyway, but you could have scalped tickets for the debates and it might have served to produce a Goldwater effect for the Republican party and refocus and re-calibrate their position.
                                                                            it's interesting to note that Goldwater himself felt disgusted by the current incarnation of the Republican Party, especially the role of the evangelicals

yesterday's radical is often today's conservative

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                there is an element of the Democratic tent that is anti wealth; environmentalist to militant extremes; anti business; and so on.
                                                                                I don't think that is true to any real extent, there may be a very few people with those kind of views who reside within the Democrats but they at most aspire to subvert at the margins and influence by osmosis rather than take the heart and soul of the party as the utter nut jobs of the tea party wing of the Republican party do.

As an aside I wonder if your average Tea Party die hard would be able to pass any objective test of sanity?

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                  I'm off to shoe party ffs what next. Obviously have to broke too. No shoes for me :-(
                                                                                  Everything’s covered in filth! Look! (points phone receiver around the room) The whole place is a complete mess. Can’t find anything. Right now I’m eating scrambled eggs, with a comb, from a shoe!
                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

As an aside I wonder if your average Tea Party die hard would be able to pass any objective test of sanity?
                                                                                    as much as your average IPBer I'd say

lots of them meet the definition of 'successful' people, having odd (by our Euro-centric standards) political views doesn't make them nuts!

Also, the level of engagement in American politics is something great to behold and really puts us to shame.

Comment

btw normally never complain in restaurants, hotels... but, i've just spent €8 for six hours of internet access in the hotel as need it to do work. Was advertised as high speed, but webpages will barely load. I've had a simple pdf downloading for 15 mins now. Would it be reasonable to ring reception to ask for refund? It would, surely?
                                                                                      So you spent 6hrs on it to make sure it was shit

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                        What's a shoe party?

(Please don't be a party where a "friend" tries to sell you shoes)
                                                                                        Typed "shoe party" into Google and this was the second image.

SPOILER

Looks like a bunch of women sit in a line and laugh at either each others feet or more likely each others choice of shoe. Seems brutally cruel even for the standards of women.

Comment

Do the Democrats really play a disenfranchising Republican voters game when they hold the levers of power? (genuine question btw) Have never read a story about that. Any links?
                                                                                          of course they do!!!!

fucking hell

the Dems have far more corruption on their hands than the Republicans

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                            Obviously have to broke too.
                                                                                            Obviously.

Comment

Think about this; what was the greatest voter fraud in American politics and who perpetrated it?

the answer to the second part is 'the Democratic party'

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

...

Comment

Any modern examples of that though? ("of course they do" is a bit unspecific!)
                                                                                                      I will throw that back at you and ask how many examples of voter fraud perpetrated by the Republican party\its agents have been prosecuted and found guilty in the Courts?

The whole redistricting process is gerrymandering by another name as Lloyd already noted and both parties are equally guilty.

Comment

Do the Democrats really play a disenfranchising Republican voters game when they hold the levers of power? (genuine question btw) Have never read a story about that. Any links?
                                                                                                        Probably, but that isn't the point. They are for empowering the most people as possible to vote not necessarily because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps them the most. It happens to be that what's ethically correct aligns with their needs in a general election.

I don't think that is true to any real extent, there may be a very few people with those kind of views who reside within the Democrats but they at most aspire to subvert at the margins and influence by osmosis rather than take the heart and soul of the party as the utter nut jobs of the tea party wing of the Republican party do.

Yes they are more to the margins, but they do exist nonetheless. There is a left wing to the Democratic party. That they exert less influence is a testament to how right the American center line is imo.

Comment

Seemingly a golf ball struck at 160 kmh at an angle of 30 degrees reaches a maximum height of 10^11 m and achieves this in about a micro-second. The future's bright...

Comment

Also in all of this it should be noted that Fox New's Megyn Kelly is an extraordinary looking woman.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                Seemingly a golf ball struck at 160 kmh at an angle of 30 degrees reaches a maximum height of 10^11 m and achieves this in about a micro-second. The future's bright...
                                                                                                                lols, best of luck with him.

Comment

Yep, gerrymandering seems to be an issue at intra-state level. But hardly an issue in presidential voting as can't gerrymander outside state lines. Just seems so much more dodgy though when you have one particular party's voters being impeded from actually casting their vote. What if FF was in power and deliberately kept Mayo voters queuing until 1am to cast their votes? Thats exactly what happened in Miami-Dade.
                                                                                                                  that could be simple incompetence (not the likeliest explanation I will grant you)

Florida does seem to be the wild west of voter fraud in any case, hopefully they will be embarrassed into cleaning things up after this campaign. In any case, if they were any good at ballot-rigging, Romney would have carried the state! Amateurs

Comment

Originally posted by MegaSin View Post
                                                                                                                    Typed "shoe party" into Google and this was the second image.

SPOILER

Looks like a bunch of women sit in a line and laugh at either each others feet or more likely each others choice of shoe. Seems brutally cruel even for the standards of women.
                                                                                                                    I'd quite happily attend that party pictured.

Comment

Yep, gerrymandering seems to be an issue at intra-state level. But hardly an issue in presidential voting as can't gerrymander outside state lines. Just seems so much more dodgy though when you have one particular party's voters being impeded from actually casting their vote. What if FF was in power and deliberately kept Mayo voters queuing until 1am to cast their votes? Thats exactly what happened in Miami-Dade.
                                                                                                                      And it's laughable, no-one is debating that. But the Democrats are no paragon of virtue with this stuff.

Ultimately it should be for the Courts or a State Body / Non Profit to set the rules on this stuff. It simply shouldn't be left to political appointees or elected officials on either side of the divide.

Thom Hartmann debates Daniel Halper, Deputy Online Editor-The Weekly StandardWebsite: www.weeklystandard.com, about a new voter id law that could keep 43 per...

Comment

Heh, Florida will be automatically forced to have a recount if presidential vote ends with less that 0.5% of vote difference even though can't make a difference to anything. Difference is currently 0.6%.
                                                                                                                        Sigh, when can we expect the first vote to be wrapped up?

Comment

as much as your average IPBer I'd say

lots of them meet the definition of 'successful' people, having odd (by our Euro-centric standards) political views doesn't make them nuts!

Also, the level of engagement in American politics is something great to behold and really puts us to shame.
                                                                                                                          Can't imagine ever standing on the street cheering in any election. Especially with no loots involved!

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X