Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, this mass grave was discovered in 1976.

This has been known about for 38 years. The only reason our generation are finding out about it now is because a community group are trying to fundraise to build a memorial, and the church has lost it's total control of the media.

Still have a firm grip on RTE though.
    I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Is anybody concerned that this fuvkin lunatic is helping to shape some of our children's futures

Comment

Originally posted by CHD View Post
        What is for breakfast?

I had a toasted sandwich with milk in town 1pm, that was breakfast.

You?
        Originally posted by Walter Mitty View Post
        Is anybody concerned that this fuvkin lunatic is helping to shape some of our children's futures
        What did you have for breakfast?
        X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
        Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Skipped it.

Dinner?

Comment

Skipped it.

Dinner?
            Had some nuggets earlier. A yogurt a little while ago.
            Got some 'Italian Vine Rippened Tomato and Lentil Soup', maybe some brown bread. See how things pan out.

You?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombatman View Post
              What is abominable is that we allowed this to happen. So easy to look for a scapegoat (the nuns or the church in this case), than to face our collective guilt and the dark underbelly that was, and arguably still is a feature of this fantastic little country.
              This is it.

We

We did this; people like every one of us and we didn't need God or a Bishop to force us into it it is merely how we organised our social services in those days.
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post
                Had some nuggets earlier. A yogurt a little while ago.
                Got some 'Italian Vine Rippened Tomato and Lentil Soup', maybe some brown bread. See how things pan out.

You?
                Dunno, will report back obv.

Comment

Skipped it.

Dinner?
                  Dunno, will report back obv.
                  Cool beans. I look forward to that.

Comment

Nice one Lottie mate.

Comment

Nice one Lottie mate.
                      Hunger strikes.

Need the granny to knit me some shreddies.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        This is it.

We

We did this; people like every one of us and we didn't need God or a Bishop to force us into it it is merely how we organised our social services in those days.
                        What?

What control did 'we' have on our social services?

We're still wrestling now for control of it.

I'm flabbergasted that you of all people could come out with such shite.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

OMFG True Detective is the fucking nuts WTFOMGZ
                          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Feel like fucking Santa Claus the amount of cheques I am signing these days. Bah humbug.

ionapaul would be dead with stress by now
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by AndyFatBastard View Post
                              dem titties

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                dem titties
                                Hi dave, this objectives women and I find it offensive.
                                Thanks dave.

Comment

Hi dave, this objectives objectifies
                                  women and I find it offensive.
                                  Thanks dave.
                                  airport, lol

Comment

Prime Time is making me angry.

Comment

Im falling in love all over again with season 3 of Veep.
                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                        What?

No I am right, religion wasn't necessary for this to happen. This was the society we the people choose to build in the formation of a ridiculous state built of fear, suspicion and hatred.
                                        It was a democracy, do you really believe that adults with a little bit of cop on, your grandparents generation and even my parents generation were completely oblivious of was going on?
                                        Last edited by Strewelpeter; 03-06-14, 21:22.

Comment

What?

Jiggaman and SP have points. People stood by and continue to stand by the church and do little to nothing, it's blatantly clear that people had an idea of what was going on but continued to give money to the church and send family members to these institutions. Even now people put catholic on the census to appease their parents and baptise their kids for similar reasons along with trying to get their kids into schools run by the church. All this continues to give the church a crazy amount of power.

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                            Prime Time is making me angry.
                                            Jackie Levin is making an utter fool of herself. Discussion on third level education, "oh well this is all very academic".

Comment

Think I've finally overtaken GoT TV series by reading the books. Haven't watched any of the newest eppys yet.
                                              Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                Jackie Levin is making an utter fool of herself. Discussion on third level education, "oh well this is all very academic".
                                                Lucey made her look like a complete fool!

Comment

On the transatlantic travel thing, in this day and age in flight entertainment systems are not a consideration for me. A tablet loaded with things you know you want to watch is much better most of the time, and don't get interrupted by some fecker telling you it's getting bumpy so fasten your seatbelt. Airplane food on pretty much all airlines in economy is gunk, so eating something reasonable before you go and eat the edible bits of what they serve you is preferable for me anyhow.

Comment

Fucking hate this country.
                                                    Then leave.

Something so outrageous as this will never happen in this country again. Ireland has made massive strides over the past 40 years and the recent defeat of Shatter proves that we will continue to so so.

If you want to live in Scandinavia or head off to Haiti to do charity work then do so. If you're here and you want to rage against the supposed disgrace that this country is that's okay too - but it takes a serious lack of perspective to not realise how good we have it in a relative sense.

This thread is filled with people doing very well for themselves in life. High education on average; high earners on average; freedom to express ourselves publicly; a society where access to opportunity is reasonably weighted towards skill and effort. It takes some mental gymnastics to be on here trading culinary extravagances on one hand and raging about how disgraceful and hateful the country is on the other.

The church is literally dying out in this country. Its influence has been beaten back and trivialized through progressive law making to the point of irrelevance. Reason won. We don't need froathing at the mouth to fix the situation, successive governments have spent four decades quietly getting it sorted and the silent will of the nation has allowed them to do so. There will be no eye for an eye justice achieved on this one unfortunately as the perpetrators are dead or past the point of learning on the matter - but we don't need same.
                                                    Last edited by LuckyLloyd; 03-06-14, 21:53.
                                                    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                      Something so outrageous as this will never happen in this country again...
                                                      I want to believe this and I kind of do but despite my natural optimism I keep reading people like John Gray and the more I do the harder I find it is to win the arguments I have against them.

Comment

LLoyd, the nation has a huge a mount of healing to do, and part of that process is staring down the past, admitting the mistakes, finding the root causes, and looking long and hard at the consequences so that we are certain it can never happen again.
                                                        "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I find myself agreeing with the majority of what Lloyd has said which is slightly worrying me given his voting preferences in the recent elections.

To expect us as a nation not to bitch, moan and feel hard done by is a stretch though, it's a national pastime.
                                                          The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

Now thats a fright !

Ready to change your life? 🐺YO! Glad you're enjoying these videos. My names Yousef and as you can see AKA fousey. This channel was built over the span of te...
                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

LLoyd, the nation has a huge a mount of healing to do, and part of that process is staring down the past, admitting the mistakes, finding the root causes, and looking long and hard at the consequences so that we are certain it can never happen again.
                                                              You see, that sounds great and all but the church has been thoroughly outflanked on all the vital things from which it derived its power and impactful influence. Successive legislators have utterly revolutionised the laws and processes which underpinned the situation that allowed Catholic Church abuses to run rampant.

The second phase (total victory) is already underway and is a simple game of demographics and time. Within 100 years the oddities of Irish life that involve turning up to a funeral where the coffin contains a body that wasn't inside the door more than a handful of times during its adult life will be erased due to a simple absence of churches and priests.

We won without the big showdowns. The sign of a working and robust society imo.
                                                              "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
                                                                I find myself agreeing with the majority of what Lloyd has said which is slightly worrying me given his voting preferences in the recent elections.

To expect us as a nation not to bitch, moan and feel hard done by is a stretch though, it's a national pastime.
                                                                lol

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                  you owe me 4 mins of my life back bruh

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post

You'd expect do disagree with most of what a person says because they vote for a party you don't like/disagree with?
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

I've sort of watched the first 2 episodes of true detective over the last while, on and off, maybe more than once. I have a seriously awful attention span, I guess I should just put the laptop away and watch stuff but even then my mind rarely focuses.

I'll spoiler my question...

SPOILER

ti;dr, Do I need to rewatch these or can I get away with moving on to episode 3? I have a general feel for the characters at this point and that a murder occurred.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                        You'd expect do disagree with most of what a person says because they vote for a party you don't like/disagree with?
                                                                        I'd expect given the stark difference in the parties we choose to vote for that our social outlook and the way we see Ireland progressing into the future may be different but tbh the comment was more in jest that anything.
                                                                        The sport that unites Catholic, Protestant and dissenter has had its day of days. Pity anybody who can't enjoy it. Some day. Gerry Thornley 23/3/09

Comment

I've sort of watched the first 2 episodes of true detective over the last while, on and off, maybe more than once. I have a seriously awful attention span, I guess I should just put the laptop away and watch stuff but even then my mind rarely focuses.

SPOILER

ti;dr, Do I need to rewatch these or can I get away with moving on to episode 3? I have a general feel for the characters at this point and that a murder occurred.
                                                                          Always worth going back again for yer woman's boobs, I suppose. I've only gotten as far as episode 3. Found it pretty dull so far. Kinda off putting that it's so short. Feels like it'll be over by the time I actually get into it.

Comment

SPOILER

I have similar issues and nearly gave up on it after episode one. I watched episode two with no distractions and I was sold from there on in.
                                                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Spoilering this as it's quite graphic and could be upsetting to some.

SPOILER

Comment

Bitches be crazy

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Video not embedding for me, just copy and paste the link to embed yeah?
                                                                                Last edited by KevIRL; 03-06-14, 23:14.

Comment

Has anyone got an experience of this product?
                                                                                  I want to know will it allow me to miracast my HTC screen to a Tele?
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                    You see, that sounds great and all but the church has been thoroughly outflanked on all the vital things from which it derived its power and impactful influence. Successive legislators have utterly revolutionised the laws and processes which underpinned the situation that allowed Catholic Church abuses to run rampant.
                                                                                    They still have way too much power over kids as far as baptising, comunion, confirnation and running schools goes,.

Comment

Lloyd is absolutely right about the game being over. Secularism has won the day here. It's just a matter of time.

Strewel however is wrong. The culture that allowed this to happen was cultivated and fostered by the Catholic Church and even though much of the religious element of that is dying off and will continue to die off, the underlying culture is deeply rooted in our national psyche.

We did all stand by and allow this to happen. In much the same way that the current orders are inheritors of the sins of those who went before, we as a people are the inheritors of the shame of our fathers. The shame of those who put their daughters into the laundries and left them to the mercy of "Christian" charity. The shame of those who bent their knee and doffed their cap as men and women were villified and criminalised for love. The shame of those who stood by and let those children be raped. That's a shame we all share. That's a shame we have all inherited. It's as much a moral crime to stand by and avert your gaze as the powerful prey on the weak as it is to prey on them yourself.

We were the Catholic Church. They ruled by our consent and our silence. That silence hasn't gone away. We don't protest. We don't react. We keep our heads down. Mind our own business. The Catholic Church might die, but it's legacy will linger on long afterwards. Our collective shame.
                                                                                      You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                      World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                        the amount of cheques I am signing these days.:
                                                                                        I cannot remember the last cheque I wrote. I do know I opened another account ~3yrs ago and unsure whether I have even a chequebook for it, prob do but buried in cabinet if so. Older account, no idea of last cheque wrote or what for?

Do shops still take them even now?

Comment

"My classmate like Stalin. He helped make USSR a real power and helped China fight against the dirty Japanese"

Nice sentence from one of my 15 year old students essays.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
                                                                                            "My classmate like Stalin. He helped make USSR a real power and helped China fight against the dirty Japanese"

Nice sentence from one of my 15 year old students essays.
                                                                                            Speaking of USSR, was listening to the radio monday morning, some repeat of a history show, anyways...shocking statistic to follow. More Russian troops died in july and august of 1942 than the total losses of all allied forces during the WHOLE WWII.

That Eastern front was a hard place !
                                                                                            This too shall pass.

Comment

Comment

People forget that Ireland is young, we're only getting big enough to fight off the bullies that have us under their thumbs recently.

We are hitting our growth spurt and entering our teens. Standing up for ourself now.

Unfortunately the Church is more like a paedo uncle and not a bully. We'll defeat it eventually but will take a while.

Where am I?

Comment

Young compared to who? Germany is only a little older and they have nearly conquered the world twice (three times if you count the EU).

Comment

Originally posted by bohsman View Post
                                                                                                    They still have way too much power over kids as far as baptising, comunion, confirnation and running schools goes,.
                                                                                                    Means little ultimately. Not converting many long term church goers or, crucially, financial contributors. The rituals that we're still putting kids through on that score are an irritating nonsense, but they won't exist a hundred years from now.

The church is starved of mass goers; financial contributions; candidates in Maynooth and political influence. They are dead right when they claim they are under attack. We're Irish so no politician verbalises it, people don't generally talk about it but we all know the church is gradually dying.

Comment

Originally posted by Hectorjelly View Post
                                                                                                      Young compared to who? Germany is only a little older and they have nearly conquered the world twice (three times if you count the EU).
                                                                                                      China, they are auld and have those beards.

We are not really that old, only looking after ourselves a wet week. Its like we've only moved out of our parents gaf. We were stuck for rent and the parents in Britain sorted us out.

Where am I?

Comment

...
                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

could picture RD with this on his lap..

Her sky-ness
                                                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                                                            could picture RD with this on his lap..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...TLBE3PWESMQMZT
                                                                                                            Was really hoping for a Scarlett Johanssen picture there.

Comment

Originally posted by oleras View Post
                                                                                                              Speaking of USSR, was listening to the radio monday morning, some repeat of a history show, anyways...shocking statistic to follow. More Russian troops died in july and august of 1942 than the total losses of all allied forces during the WHOLE WWII.

That Eastern front was a hard place !
                                                                                                              20 million Russians dead in WW2. Kinda puts all the D Day mythology in its place.

Comment

I feel we might be a bit harsh in our emphasis on the collective responsibility. There are many reasons why the church commanded such power from the population. It is an institution centuries old, that extended its claws deep into every aspect of our society. People generally tend to accept the reality they are presented with. The church was not messily intertwined with law and education as it is today but inseparable.

Its a dangerous game to diminish the responsibility of the church or try share the blame amongst society in general beyond proportion. It must not be forgotten the power and hold the church commanded in a much more rural, isolated Ireland. Nor the brave non believers of previous generations.

If anything the collective responsibility of moderates and apologists is greater now than ever. Those who continue to consent to their children indoctrination, get married in church etc carry more shame and responsibility imo than they did in previous generations when the fear of the church was very real and with good reason.
                                                                                                                Last edited by Downtown; 04-06-14, 08:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Kayroo View Post
                                                                                                                  Lloyd is absolutely right about the game being over. Secularism has won the day here. It's just a matter of time.

Strewel however is wrong. The culture that allowed this to happen was cultivated and fostered by the Catholic Church and even though much of the religious element of that is dying off and will continue to die off, the underlying culture is deeply rooted in our national psyche.

We did all stand by and allow this to happen. In much the same way that the current orders are inheritors of the sins of those who went before, we as a people are the inheritors of the shame of our fathers. The shame of those who put their daughters into the laundries and left them to the mercy of "Christian" charity. The shame of those who bent their knee and doffed their cap as men and women were villified and criminalised for love. The shame of those who stood by and let those children be raped. That's a shame we all share. That's a shame we have all inherited. It's as much a moral crime to stand by and avert your gaze as the powerful prey on the weak as it is to prey on them yourself.

We were the Catholic Church. They ruled by our consent and our silence. That silence hasn't gone away. We don't protest. We don't react. We keep our heads down. Mind our own business. The Catholic Church might die, but it's legacy will linger on long afterwards. Our collective shame.
                                                                                                                  Originally posted by Downtown View Post
                                                                                                                  I feel we might be a bit harsh in our emphasis on the collective responsibility. There are many reasons why the church commanded such power from the population. It is an institution centuries old, that extended its claws deep into every aspect of our society. People generally tend to accept the reality they are presented with. The church was not messily intertwined with law and education as it is today but inseparable.

Its a dangerous game to diminish the responsibility of the church or try share the blame amongst society in general beyond proportion. It must not be forgotten the power and hold the church commanded in a much more rural, isolated Ireland. Nor the brave non believers of previous generations.

If anything the collective responsibility of moderates and apologists is greater now than ever. Those who continue to consent to their children indoctrination, get married in church etc carry more shame and responsibility imo than they did in previous generations when the fear of the church was very real and with good reason.
                                                                                                                  I thought this was apt

Originally posted by nagirrac
                                                                                                                  This could be a watershed event in Irish history, if handled properly and maturely. The take home message here is no different to the harsh realities that on a grander scale Germany for example had to face after WWII, and to give them due credit, compared to other countries with former abusive regimes, they handled it fairly well. It is difficult to confront the ghosts of our past, but it is now long past time for Ireland to finally face up to its demons.

The root cause here, just as with all atrocity, is a power structure with no accountability. The RCC fell into a position of power after Irish independence was secured, and had effectively as much control over society as the Soviet secret police. They were not just above the law, they made the laws, and woe betide anyone who stepped out of line, especially if you were female. The gutless politicians who empowered them and deferred to them are just as guilty, as ultimately they were responsible for the security of every Irish citizen and they failed utterly in this regard. The harsh reality is that the cruelest and most vicious sadists and pedophiles in the country were allowed access to the country's most vulnerable, and no, not all of them were members of religious orders, although many were. The CICA report is a veritable who's who, outrageously without the names, of every sick monster who was given access to Irish societies most vulnerable.

A word of caution, if I may. The individuals we are concerned with, whether mothers and children abandoned by society, or banished to hellholes like Tuam or industrial schools, were in many cases the equivalent of those on the fringes of society today. Keep that in mind every time you hear people reference those on the lower rungs of society as scobes and chavs, and wax eloquent about what should be done to them. It is the same mindset and judgmental urge that banished our former citizens to the gulag.

I have signed the petition and will urge all I know to do the same.
                                                                                                                  And this is quite sadly true
                                                                                                                  [Top: Director at CRC, David Martin (left) Chairman of the CRC James Nugent (centre behind) and Former CEO Paul Kiely at government buildings  last December and, above Environment Minister Phil Hog…
                                                                                                                  Last edited by Emmet; 04-06-14, 08:47.

Comment

20 million Russians dead in WW2. Kinda puts all the D Day mythology in its place.
                                                                                                                    The demented lunatic mass sacrifice that was the Russian defense at Stalingrad is truly wowing. A slavish collective will unmatched in history.

Comment

It's surprising how few actually died on D-Day.

Comment

20million is probably the most reserved estimate.
                                                                                                                        It can vary from 25- 47 million depending on which academic you believe.
                                                                                                                        A peasant familys chances of surviving an eastern winter after there home was bunred to the ground and with no food was prerrt dismal im sure.
                                                                                                                        The siege of Leningrad between 1.4 and 2 million service men and civilins perished.

The scale of the battles of the eastern front will never be seen again thankfully.
                                                                                                                        After the atrocities committed its no wonder red army troops went bananas on german soil raping and killing everything in sight.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X