This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
    You're not done yet boy, black no sugar, stat!
    racist

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post

Does that 2nd Gosling one not look fake to anyone else? Exact same posture and looks a similar distance to the car... very odd
      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

I'm very slow
        Go big or go homeless.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Meters removed by Irish Water after three week stand-off in housing estate.

WATER protestors have claimed victory after contractors began the removal of meters from a Cork estate following a bitter three week stand-off.

this should happen more here

Comment

Originally posted by Frossach View Post
              Meters removed by Irish Water after three week stand-off in housing estate.

WATER protestors have claimed victory after contractors began the removal of meters from a Cork estate following a bitter three week stand-off.

this should happen more here
              very confusing

Mother of two, Suzanne O'Flynn, lives just metres from the protests.

“I have no problem with a flat water charge because I think that is fair. I have no problem with a normal water meter. But I do not want a smart meter outside my home,” she said.
              Is metering not the very fairest way of charging people for water?

(I have almost no idea what's going on re water charges)

Comment

'Fair' is obviously a subjective term.
                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

No Tevas and no Nasri in the world cup
                  Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                    No Tevas and no Nasri in the world cup
                    Tevez hasn't been selected for them in about 2 years and had said something in January about refusing a call up if it came.
                    Nasri is a cunt of the highest order, probably good for morale that he is not there.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
                      'Fair' is obviously a subjective term.
                      Especially if you are a complete moron

It remains unclear whether the removal of the meters represents a landmark in the campaign of opposition to water charges and the disputed installation of water meters.
                      There is no way that Irish Water are backing down at all here, there must be something more to it, if they are giving up in the face of protests from fools like that they may as well give up right now.
                      Turning millions into thousands

Comment

The missus had a Legal Studies exam this morning in her Applied Social Studies course and is panicking over one of the questions.

"Explain the significance of Article 29 of the Irish Constitution in the context of Irish family law"

Anyone any idea?
                        Originally posted by ArmaniJeans
                        I like this heat - some proper music innit.
                        None of the 'black disabled lesbian warbling backwards' stuff that the other players inflicted on me.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                          Tevez hasn't been selected for them in about 2 years and had said something in January about refusing a call up if it came.
                          Nasri is a cunt of the highest order, probably good for morale that he is not there.
                          What are you basing that on? He has been brilliant for City this year after a poor 2012/2013 champain.

Edit: I mean I know he has issues in the past but surely based on his form he should go...
                          Last edited by pokerhand; 14-05-14, 11:53.
                          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Especially if you are a complete moron .
                            Completely.
                            All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                            The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Anyone see this yesterday?

Comment

Dont think he gets along with a lot of the players in the squad.
                                His missus went a bit mad on twitter the physcho. "Fuck the French and fuck dechamps" or somthing like that. Picked her up a few thousand followers anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                  What are you basing that on? He has been brilliant for City this year after a poor 2012/2013 campaign.

Edit: I mean I know he has issues in the past but surely based on his form he should go...
                                  I'm usually one for finding a way of fitting in your best players, but almost every one of the 'trouble in the French camp' stories over the last 6 years have involved Nasri in some way. Admittedly he wasn't in South Africa and they still found a way of being a shambles.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                    Nice! Do you have a plan?
                                    Yeah I'm going back to Intel, in Leixlip this time though instead of Shannon so will be staying put in Dublin thankfully.

Just the old 50% pay increase

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                      Dont think he gets along with a lot of the players in the squad.
                                      His missus went a bit mad on twitter the physcho. "Fuck the French and fuck dechamps" or somthing like that. Picked her up a few thousand followers anyway.
                                      Yeah, she got a ton of shit for it too and was called every whore name under the sun! Here's what she said.

SPOILER

On the plus side for Nasri, he gets to spent the summer tucked up in bed with her!

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post
                                        The missus had a Legal Studies exam this morning in her Applied Social Studies course and is panicking over one of the questions.

"Explain the significance of Article 29 of the Irish Constitution in the context of Irish family law"

Anyone any idea?
                                        Dont panic is all I can say. There is no point in the world worrying about an exam that is out of the way.

The only way I would go looking into something is if I felt there was a mistake of some sort in the paper.
                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Last edited by DeadParrot; 14-05-14, 13:04.
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

Originally posted by Starvin Marvin View Post

Anyone any idea?
                                            That may be one of the most ridiculous questions I have ever seen in a legal exam.

Basically it's asking how International conventions and treaties, which can be incorporated into Irish law under Art 29.6 at the discretion of the Oireachtas. An example of this would be the European Convention on Human Rights Act 2003 which incorporated the ECHR into Irish law and gave the Courts an obligation to take judicial cognisance of the decisions of the European Court of Human Rights as well as the convention itself in the context of any proceeding before it.

Articles 8 and 12 both directly impact on family law here but there are innumerable other examples where it comes in to play.

Beyond that any regulation or directive touching upon the area of family law that is passed by the EU will likely have direct effect here or require incorporation into Irish law. While I can't think of any examples off the top of my head I am sure there are a good many.

I recall a case I was involved in where the judge adjourned the matter to hear submissions on whether or not the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child was directly effective in Ireland given that the EU had ratified the Convention. The answer, of course, is no given that Ireland has a dualist legal system (something that is DIRECTLY governed by Art. 29) meaning that while the State may bind itself to any international treaty that does not mean the treaty is incorporated into Irish law.

For example if Ireland entered into a treaty with the UK recognising international travel rights between the two countries no citizen here could sue the state on foot of that treaty as it does not create any domestic justiciable rights.

I dunno if that's of any use to you at all but it might be a start
                                            You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                            World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

The Ballad of Lidl & Aldi...Mick MacConnell sings about shopping in Lidl & Aldi..........Written & performed by singer/songwriter Mick MacConnell (Only Our R...
                                              X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                              Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

There is no way that Irish Water are backing down at all here, there must be something more to it, if they are giving up in the face of protests from fools like that they may as well give up right now.
                                                How do they plan to deal with people in apartments who refuse to pay? Whatever about individual houses I presume they've no means to interfere with water supply in shared buildings?
                                                Last edited by Denny Crane; 14-05-14, 14:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                  How do they plan to deal with people in apartments who refuse to pay? Whatever about individual houses I presume they've no means to interfere with water supply in shared buildings?
                                                  The intention is to have individual meters for every dwelling, the meter and stopcock may well be inside the building but it will be somewhere they can get access to.

Comment

Not for existing buildings?

Comment

A Do It Yourself guide to sabotaging 'water meter ready' stopcock chambers. Over the last number of years tens of thousands of such chambers have been insta...

How long before this being feted as a 'beat the bankers/fatcats/governments/immigrants/english/whatever' solution

Comment

jesus, I'm shocked Distin never got a cap for France. He was never a super star but I've always liked him and assumed he was a French squad player at some stage in the last 15 years.

Yeah Nasri on form def gets into French squad, but if the manager says he's too much of a cunt, you have to respect that. When you're leaving out one of your best players because he's too disruptive, he really must be bad, so I don't have any complaints with the decision.
                                                        Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

You would hope they would have the sense to set up the same mechanisms as the Revenue did for the LPT.

Don't\won't pay? Fine, we'll just garnish your wages or social security. Plus a fine for the inconvenience. Next!
                                                          "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

PAYE FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                              http://www.joe.ie/football/world-cup...d-like-a-boss/

jesus, I'm shocked Distin never got a cap for France. He was never a super star but I've always liked him and assumed he was a French squad player at some stage in the last 15 years.

Yeah Nasri on form def gets into French squad, but if the manager says he's too much of a cunt, you have to respect that. When you're leaving out one of your best players because he's too disruptive, he really must be bad, so I don't have any complaints with the decision.
                                                              Bit like when Mick told that other jumped up cnut to fuck off home

Comment

PAYE FTW!
                                                                So tired of paying all that I earn though
                                                                May you live in interesting times!

Comment

Originally posted by Jam-Fly View Post
                                                                  http://www.joe.ie/football/world-cup...d-like-a-boss/

But is that actually true? Think he is pretty much the fall guy for everything which cant be fair. As AJ already pointed out he wasn't even involved in the South Africa saga.

I mean he caused no disruptions with City as far as I am aware. I think it is down to the manager to control the situation and if the manager is leaving him out because he can't control him properly then the manager is not doing his job properly.
                                                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Alternative ending to this week's Game of Thrones:

SPOILER
                                                                    "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Anyone here good with Linkedin?

I need to set an account up. Finding it hard so deleted the original one I had . I am having trouble wording stuff etc too. Anyone free tonight sometime that could buzz me and go through it with me start to finish ?
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                                        Anyone here good with Linkedin?

I need to set an account up. Finding it hard so deleted the original one I had . I am having trouble wording stuff etc too. Anyone free tonight sometime that could buzz me and go through it with me start to finish ?
                                                                        Can you not upload your current CV? that takes care of so much

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                          Can you not upload your current CV? that takes care of so much
                                                                          Its all the other stuff like background etc , wording sales, team leader type stuff. I need to have nice and professional looking. I am useless at wording stuff.
                                                                          When I am in the humour I will take a closer look maybe.
                                                                          Her sky-ness
                                                                          © 5starpool

Comment

Could anyone do me a favour and ship a few Euro to a bank account in exchange for stars? Pm if able to help.

Comment

Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                Utterly humourless.
                                                                                "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                  You would hope they would have the sense to set up the same mechanisms as the Revenue did for the LPT.

Don't\won't pay? Fine, we'll just garnish your wages or social security. Plus a fine for the inconvenience. Next!
                                                                                  I guess this proves the problem with protest politics. It makes the other end of the scale adopt a blind attitude to matters - i.e. all opposition to increased taxes, etc is 'retarded'. Complaining over the Property Tax was retarded as it was a historical absurdity that we didn't have it. But this water tax? Eh, don't think so.
                                                                                  "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
                                                                                    I guess this proves the problem with protest politics. It makes the other end of the scale adopt a blind attitude to matters - i.e. all opposition to increased taxes, etc is 'retarded'. Complaining over the Property Tax was retarded as it was a historical absurdity that we didn't have it. But this water tax? Eh, don't think so.
                                                                                    Are you serious, Really?

I'd love to hear you make a case that stands up to preserve the status quo of - and I quote directly from the fools on this protest 'Free water' and a 'God given right' - that people are free to piss away into the ground through laziness carelessness and stupidity.

Comment

Paging V for Vendetta
                                                                                      "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Enough is enough!

Although property tax should cover bins
                                                                                        Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

We're being asked to spend less than €0.70 a day to have pure drinking water on tap.

It's a fucking shame to be Irish when you see people protest that.

Let the fuckers take a trip to Haiti with their bullshit protest.

Makes me sick.

I heard one such cretin on RTE shouting that it was her 'god given right' to water on tap.

Shameful.

Anyone that complains about having to pay such a tiny amount of money to have what a huge proportion of the world are literally dying to have needs to hang their head in utter shame.
                                                                                          I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Are you serious, Really?

I'd love to hear you make a case that stands up to preserve the status quo of - and I quote directly from the fools on this protest 'Free water' and a 'God given right' - that people are free to piss away into the ground through laziness carelessness and stupidity.

Two countries in the EU have a tax on water consumption?

Comment

NM.

RIP BCB.
                                                                                              Last edited by Theresa; 14-05-14, 20:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                                                                                                We're being asked to spend less than €0.70 a day to have pure drinking water on tap.

Makes me sick.

I heard one such cretin on RTE shouting that it was her 'god given right' to water on tap.

Shameful.

Anyone that complains about having to pay such a tiny amount of money to have what a huge proportion of the world are literally dying to have needs to hang their head in utter shame.

Don't think this is the kind of thing that makes me ashamed to be Irish at all, or makes me 'sick'. Kudos on the hyperbole though sir, kudos. I think a robust democracy where there is public protest is something to be proud of to be honest.

Comment

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...r_taxes_en.pdf

Not sure what the question is but yea, we will have the most advanced and fairest water charges in the developed world... that would be a good thing.
                                                                                                  Consumption based charges that promotes conservation and has adequate allowances for vulnerable groups, what could possibly be wrong with that?

Comment

Makes me sick.

Shameful.

Is the water going to better? like can I get rid of my water softener? or will it just be the same water I always had?

All them dopey hippy dippy types do my fucking head fighting over the meters , Do they actually think that they will never have a water meter. I Dont understand apes like that.

Remember when Colm was working for Roadbridge and the gas pipe thingys were being worked on in Mayo , I think. he said the fucking hassle they caused was unreal. and all the same types of people. hippy dippy types as I call them with fuck all else to do.

I dont particually like having to pay for my water but if it has to be done, Ill pay for it, its not a massive yearly amount.
                                                                                                    Her sky-ness
                                                                                                    © 5starpool

Comment

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs...r_taxes_en.pdf

ireland are making a hash of this...again. don't bother calling a water tax a water tax. Put in a council tax 50 times higher and call it just that (and increase it when necessary), why bother spending millions on meters etc.

Comment

Not sure what the question is but yea, we will have the most advanced and fairest water charges in the developed world... that would be a good thing.
                                                                                                        Consumption based charges that promotes conservation and has adequate allowances for vulnerable groups, what could possibly be wrong with that?
                                                                                                        Because the quality of water service in the state has been sub par for some time due to incompetence on behalf of the service owners and there is little precedent for the charge in the EU. Because measures to promote consumption could be introduced without levying a tax (if water conservation was the real motivation). Because in terms of principle, this is the wrong type of tax to levy. Despite allowances and scaling relative to consumption, it will still have the essential characteristics of a regressive tax.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                          ireland are making a hash of this...again. don't bother calling a water tax a water tax. Put in a council tax 50 times higher and call it just that (and increase it when necessary), why bother spending millions on meters etc.
                                                                                                          Because people will not conserve water unless they are charged for it by the litre. Simple

Waste will soon be charged for by weight

Why would you want a flat council charge that overcharges for a mix of services that are not communal and that you don't use all of?

Comment

Don't think this is the kind of thing that makes me ashamed to be Irish at all, or makes me 'sick'. Kudos on the hyperbole though sir, kudos. I think a robust democracy where there is public protest is something to be proud of to be honest.
                                                                                                            Protest is fine, and is certainly something to be proud of.

This particular protest is not. It's shameful.

Are you proud of my protest of the protest? Given you know, that it's the act of protest itself that's honourable.

Comment

Had to turn off the commentary for the Europa Final on TV3.... Just unbearable.
                                                                                                              Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Protest is fine, and is certainly something to be proud of.

This particular protest is not. It's shameful.

Are you proud of my protest of the protest? Given you know, that it's the act of protest itself that's honourable.
                                                                                                                'Shameful'?

As for the last sentence, I already indicated that I felt the property tax hand wringing was silly and have been a vocal opponent of some of the Public Sector griping over the past half decade. None of it is 'shameful' or 'sickening' or stuff that reduces my pride at being Irish, etc. You seem highly perturbed over this, irked even.

Comment

Despite allowances and scaling relative to consumption, it will still have the essential characteristics of a regressive tax.
                                                                                                                  You'll have to explain the logic you are using to come to that conclusion to me.
                                                                                                                  I don't really understand how a concept like regressive tax applies to consumer services like water.
                                                                                                                  So what you want is to have people who are earning more pay more for their water... would do the same for Petrol and food?

And try to bear in mind that just because we have always done something is not an argument for continuing to if its a stupid thing to do.

Comment

Because people will not conserve water unless they are charged for it by the litre. Simple

Waste will soon be charged for by weight

Why would you want a flat council charge that overcharges for a mix of services that are not communal and that you don't use all of?
                                                                                                                    i never thought that water was such a scarce resource here? there is no doubt people abuse it but why put a name on a tax such as this when you can just charge it on a median basis?

waste is already charged by weight

a flat council charge does not attract controversy and can easily be adjusted for various new taxes, except when initially implemented. i agree though that council taxes make sense in towns/cities, less so in rural areas.

Comment

You'll have to explain the logic you are using to come to that conclusion to me.
                                                                                                                      I don't really understand how a concept like regressive tax applies to consumer services like water.

So what you want is to have people who are earning more pay more for their water... would do the same for Petrol and food?

And try to bear in mind that just because we have always done something is not an argument for continuing to if its a stupid thing to do.

Taxation based on everyday essentials like food (e.g. sales tax, salt tax), clothing (value added tax), transport (fuel tax), energy (carbon tax) and housing (council tax, window tax) are frequently regressive. The income elasticity of demand of food for example is usually less than 1 (inelastic) (see Engel's law) and therefore as a household's income rises, even significantly, the tax collected remains almost the same. So as a proportion of available expenditure the tax burden falls far more heavily on households with lower incomes.

Comment

'Shameful'?

As for the last sentence, I already indicated that I felt the property tax hand wringing was silly and have been a vocal opponent of some of the Public Sector griping over the past half decade. None of it is 'shameful' or 'sickening' or stuff that reduces my pride at being Irish, etc. You seem highly perturbed over this, irked even.
                                                                                                                        Well that's because I am irked and perturbed.

Lloyd, can you not find this protest even a little distasteful?

You can call it hyperbole or even cliche, but there are people, hundreds of millions of people who spend their entire waking lives just trying to figure out how to get water to keep their families alive, women who rise at 4am, walk until noon, then walk six hours back again every day just to keep their children alive.

People who expect 75% of their children to die due to lack of clean water.

We're being asked to pay seventy fucking cents a day to have that on tap, in our houses. It's an absolute shame for anybody to protest that.

Comment

Any working stiff who welcomes a tax is a complete dolt.
                                                                                                                          Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X