Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ronan would have nailed that kick but we would never have been in such a strong position with him at 10. He was a better kicker but Sexton is the better out half. Guttedand crushed but great day at LR. Kiwi beside me was a total gent. That's rugby

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Won a small bit of money on Hannah going off xfactor. Irrelevant. What is more interesting is that dumped that new money into buying new board games. Have developed quite the interest in board games over the last while. Its still only around the 15 boardgame mark, but plan to turn it into a world leading board game collection. Thinking to get it to about 100 by end of next year.

Today's orders are:

Articulate

Ingenious

(already have a fair few of the smart-alecky games, but wanted to get some Christmas ones)
      Stay out of my territory. /heisenberg.

I've become addicted by them this year, I'm buying 3 or 4 for christmas. i go to play games and have a few drinks every week now in town, tues/wednesday/odd weekend game.

wil wheaton (of star trek wesley crusher infamy) has a great boardgame series on youtube, where he plays them with semi-famous people.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
          days like today makes you remember the good times. The best clutch 10 in world rugby. Father time catches up on us all
          You, as a sports science graduate should surely be aware that the notion of 'clutch' has been proven to be a cognitive bias based myth in many sports!

For example:

We NBA fans have all been there. Our team is down by one point with the final seconds of a crucial game ticking away slowly as the shot clock continues its maddening march to zero...

Comment

Rooney having a go at Martin Tyler and Graeme Souness now on twitter

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post

wil wheaton (of star trek wesley crusher infamy) has a great boardgame series on youtube, where he plays them with semi-famous people.
                Just finished rewatching the entire Star Trek TNG recently. So strange seeing him aged.
                Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Comment

Just have to work out how Agricola and Puerto Rico actually works and am on tops!
                    puerto rico is an amazing game, pretty much play it every time we play at a friends house. Is subject to nice mathsy analysis too. Haven't played agricola yet but its supposed to be a classic, it's sequel was just released a few weeks ago.

When was living in Colchester used to go out to the pub to play board and card games with two eighty year old dudes. We used to play maybe five different games a night while downing beers like mad things. Easily the best pub entertainment have ever had. The lads were just genius. Whole load of repeated phrases but brilliant because of their source. That was five years ago, surely got to be a good chance they're dead now. Eh, does that make me the real winner despite the fortune they won off me?
                    it really is a great night out drinking imo, bout 30 poeple go to the pub game on a wednesday.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'm pretty sure being alive trumps everything else, suck it old men.
                    Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                    Just finished rewatching the entire Star Trek TNG recently. So strange seeing him aged.
                    Yeah it's just because we haven't seen him for so long. Very different now. Apparently people that worked on startrek actively sabotaged him getting any other work apart from star trek so he just quit at the time. He's the saving grace of any big bang theory episode that hes in now. He's an hilarious dude.

Speaking of which there was a lifesize Penney cardboard cutout in the raffle for the boards charity comedy gig yesterday, hubba hubba.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                        You, as a sports science graduate should surely be aware that the notion of 'clutch' has been proven to be a cognitive bias based myth in many sports!

For example:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9...ce-and-for-all
                        It's argued as being non existent in the NBA, but hardly proven.

It definitely exists in the NFL (Brady) and football (penalty shootouts). Now, the make up of clutch is not necessarily 'heart' or focus. In high pressure situations, flaws in technique are ruthlessly exposed. Part of the reason Tim Henman wasn't clutch is because he had technical deficiencies in his game that would kill him at crucial moments. Part of the reason Wilkinson is clutch is because his technique and consistency of execution is flawless.

Sexton's run up and pre kick routine was altered today and it is arguably over elaborate to begin with. You can argue away the significance of the kick or that it wasn't down to bottle or whatever, but in a crucial high pressure situation he didn't execute normally as per his own expected standard.
                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

looking forward to broncos pats
                          airport, lol

Comment

Well its proven to a large degree of certainty by the numbers in basketball, even more so in the MLB. I think the main point is that some people perform worse under pressure but no one magically improves so it come down to where your definition of clutch lies.
                            I doubt anyone takes enough penos in shootouts for there to be any meaningful sample sizes and I know nothing of Brady.
                            Sexton definitely took longer than normal today but the truth is he's probably an 80% shot to get it, and today the King came on the flop as it were. We'll never be able to separate the variance from the pressure and really tell though.
                            Last edited by Guest; 24-11-13, 23:14.

Comment

I think Sexton was hindered slightly by the crowd.

An attempt at silence, punctuated by a few shouts, people telling the shouters to shut up, people telling the people telling the shouters to shut up to shut up. Then a few air horns, followed by people telling the airhorners to stop. Just a mess.
                              And one of his pauses on the run-up seemed to be in reaction to an intrusive crowd noise, and he tried to begin the routine again, realised he'd no time and clusterfucked it.

Even though we pride ourselves (for no good reason really) on immaculate silence, I actually think JS would prefer 40,000 people chanting Ireland Ireland (or 60,000 French booing in the SdP) as he takes a kick like that.

Comment

Feel like I'm back as that ten year old trying to get an invite to Dungeons & Dragons. But invite me to one of those games *please*

# awkward #
                                Sure, come along to any.

My favourite is this one, happens in a boardsies house once a monthish and meetups in houses are more fun:

I have no problem hosting at my place (D8). My place could probably hold up to 10 people. Would be good banter :)

this one is in a tea shop in town on tuesdays, started going this week myself:

this one is wednesdays in mac turcaills pub near trinity, started going two weeks ago:

Comment

Was at a 'games night' thing with a load of my gf's friends. I was apprehensive to say the least. We played this:

I was perhaps way to competitive, but it paid off as I dragged my team of incompetents to victory. Strange game but worked ok with copious amounts of drink.

Comment

I find drinking makes these things hilarious.

Hitch, the "ledgerman" in his made up game is a role where you jsut keep score of other placers and do nothing else, at teh end of the episode two finance people argue over who gets to play as the ledgerman, reminds me of here

Ben reveals his latest projectIf you love Parks and Rec check out the free Nailed It Android App:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.krause.nai...

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post

It definitely exists in the NFL (Brady) and football (penalty shootouts). Now, the make up of clutch is not necessarily 'heart' or focus. In high pressure situations, flaws in technique are ruthlessly exposed. Part of the reason Tim Henman wasn't clutch is because he had technical deficiencies in his game that would kill him at crucial moments. Part of the reason Wilkinson is clutch is because his technique and consistency of execution is flawless.

Sexton's run up and pre kick routine was altered today and it is arguably over elaborate to begin with. You can argue away the significance of the kick or that it wasn't down to bottle or whatever, but in a crucial high pressure situation he didn't execute normally as per his own expected standard.

Not watch the game last week? That last throw by Brady was a shocker.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                        Not watch the game last week? That last throw by Brady was a shocker.
                                        Does the game last week invalidate his career?
                                        "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

apparently this was the worst year in history for tv and it's been on the decline for a couple years now. Join me in my no TV home comrades.

BI Prime: There has been only negative ratings growth on broadcast and cable TV since September 2011, according to Citi Research.
                                          Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 24-11-13, 23:47.

Comment

Just watching We're the Millars. Whoever cast Jennifer Aniston must be blind, she has a face for radio these days.

Comment

Admittedly I haven't seen too much of him this season, but Sexton's routine definitely was altered. I wonder did someone tell him to eat up as much of the clock as possible, and did this throw him slightly? Either way, you play out-half at international level because you make kicks like those, and he will be the first to admit it.

I was also disappointed at the lack of cheat we possessed in that final All-Black attack. If the roles were reversed McCaw and co. would have found a way of lying all over that ball. Worst case scenario would have been penalty and a sin-binning, but it still would have offered a few seconds to reset the defence and slightly stunted the momentum.

Some game though. I watched it in work, which happens to be two minutes away from Lansdowne Road. I had to watch it with headphones in at full volume to not get every major play spoilered by the crowd. The Italian girl working opposite me obviously didn't grasp this idea, as she kept trying to make conversation for the whole match. By the end I was just flat out ignoring her, not even a perfunctory glance of acknowledgement.

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                                Almost impulse pulled the trigger on flights to Melbourne to catch an Ashes test/xmas in Aus. Wife has talked me out of it...for now
                                                Got myself a ticket for day 3 of the MCG test. I'm quite close to the front so quite excited.
                                                Only 2nd cricket game I've attended after our world cup victory over England 2 years back.

When I attend cricket I make it count.

Comment

Does the game last week invalidate his career?

No, but it should show that players will have their moments in pressure situation and they'll fail in times of pressure. No different to any other situation really.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                                    Just watching We're the Millars. Whoever cast Jennifer Aniston must be blind, she has a face for radio these days.
                                                    She's no Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler.
                                                    "you raise, i kill you" El Tren :{)

Comment

Rugby definitely the nut low topic for intelligent debate on this forum.

Comment

No, but it should show that players will have their moments in pressure situation and they'll fail in times of pressure. No different to any other situation really.
                                                        Eh, no that would be completely ridiculous. It's akin to anecdotal arguments and people shouting won't somebody think of the children. On a poker forum it's especially ludicrous way of trying to show some kind of point.

Originally posted by The C Kid View Post
                                                        I've very little interest but did find the conversation on here today very interesting in watching it regress to the mean low that constantly is derided by others on here about soccer discussions.

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                          Eh, no that would be completely ridiculous. It's akin to anecdotal arguments and people shouting won't somebody think of the children. On a poker forum it's especially ludicrous way of trying to show some kind of point.

It's not really. People don't suddenly perform above and beyond their ability in pressure situations.

Comment

RIGHT ENOUGH OF THIS RUBBISH,LITTLE RANT ON THE WAY

SPOILER
                                                            ]i spend most of my weekends standing on the side of rugby pitches in shitty oil-skins,hardy caps & furry boots.(g'awn the aldis)I've seen bad times where you could hear a pin drop in the back of the car and sing-songs on the way home that could your wreck your head,have a few young fallas that eat,drink & shit the game,one who plays under 19 on the wing and another who plays under 14 in the pack and to be quite honest,i wouldn't swap it for anything,today we sat watching,roaring and hoping to fuck ireland would land the big one,it didn't happen but you know what,there was no blaming,no finger pointing,no blue v red bullshit,we ran the best in the world to their very best with no excuses,yes they won the game and to be fair they won with pure heart-never say die full 80 min rugby,they gave it every thing same as i see it every weekend,ya know what SHIT HAPPENS get over it,move on,but at the same time,bring on the best in the world...we,re waitin for ya.

RANT OVER.
                                                            Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

It's not really. People don't suddenly perform above and beyond their ability in pressure situations.
                                                              Who cares? The fact specific players have an average which is so high means they're better in that situation than anyone else? Also the fact that within those clutch moments they're able to match those career averages is the important point. Most players given those moments wouldn't come close to doing what they do on average. Pointing to specific moments while ignoring the overall statistical evidence just doesn't make sense.

Opr

Comment

FFS was hoping the Giants would win this one, looks like Cowboys will have at least a kick to win it.

Comment

Who cares? The fact specific players have an average which is so high means they're better in that situation than anyone else? Also the fact that within those clutch moments they're able to match those career averages is the important point. Most players given those moments wouldn't come close to doing what they do on average. Pointing to specific moments while ignoring the overall statistical evidence just doesn't make sense.

Opr

Well the people who are talking about it here probably care, wouldn't be talking about it otherwise. I'm not sure where the overall statistical evidence is either.

Comment

OT please to close the gap before next game
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Ship the Blackthorn £100 game for £3k sterling weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                                                                        Ship the Blackthorn £100 game for £3k sterling weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Nicely done FD

Comment

Well the people who are talking about it here probably care, wouldn't be talking about it otherwise. I'm not sure where the overall statistical evidence is either.
                                                                          I had a quick read of the last article zuutroy posted which seems to show the point as well as any other I've read. The best players hit the averages within moments of pressure. Yeah they don't suddenly become better players but that's beside the point. The reason they're clutch players is because they've a higher % chance of hitting the goal/shot whatever. If you're regularly producing moments of genius to then produce that within clutch moment makes you a clutch player. Producing the mundane is much easier than the genius level these guys and the stats hold them to.

Opr

Comment

Facebook today was just unreal. Social Media in general. Never seen so much shite spouted from people who haven't seen a game of Rugby in their lives.

Comment

I had a quick read of the last article zuutroy posted which seems to show the point as well as any other I've read. The best players hit the averages within moments of pressure. Yeah they don't suddenly become better players but that's beside the point. The reason they're clutch players is because they've a higher % chance of hitting the goal/shot whatever. If you're regularly producing moments of genius to then produce that within clutch moment makes you a clutch player. Producing the mundane is much easier than the genius level these guys and the stats hold them to.

Opr
                                                                              Slightly hilariously due to this conversation the headline on the NFL site right now shows a pic of Tony Romo and headline of 'Strong in the clutch'.....

Comment

Eminem sings stan recently at a bbc studio.

Eminem performs Stan live at the BBC's Maida Vale studios for Radio 1.

Comment

Opr

But they have the same % chance of hitting the point as they do in a non-pressure situation. They perform at the same level, I don't think that makes them clutch(I don't really think clutch has any real meaning either). I think saying some is a un-clutch would be more accurate. You;ll get players who perform below their standard in pressure situations. For example Henman performed as well as his skill level could nearly all the time, problem was his skill level wasn't good enough. It had nothing to do with how he handled the pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                    Slightly hilariously due to this conversation the headline on the NFL site right now shows a pic of Tony Romo and headline of 'Strong in the clutch'.....
                                                                                    Whats so funny about that?

SPOILER

Comment

You've certainly had your moments anway. Not sure if you're capable of recognising intelligent debate tbf

Comment

id love a good ol brady manning shootout
                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

But they have the same % chance of hitting the point as they do in a non-pressure situation. They perform at the same level, I don't think that makes them clutch(I don't really think clutch has any real meaning either). I think saying some is a un-clutch would be more accurate. You;ll get players who perform below their standard in pressure situations. For example Henman performed as well as his skill level could nearly all the time, problem was his skill level wasn't good enough. It had nothing to do with how he handled the pressure.
                                                                                          Plenty of people do things on average that are completely mundane that they can reproduce quite easily under pressure. Producing genius under that kind of pressure I think is far harder. Saying that the ability of players to handle pressure isn't part of the equation would seem madness. You'd have to take a high spectrum of people who perform way above average on a regular basis to see what difference exists. I mean we all know from regular life that some people do better in exams, interviews etc due to pressure. You're basically saying that pressure in no way impacts performance?

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                            id love a good ol brady manning shootout
                                                                                            It'll have to be if Ridley does that. He does love a good fumble

Comment

Brady definitely isn't clutch making a tackle.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                It'll have to be if Ridley does that. He does love a good fumble
                                                                                                yeah think its his 4th or 5th this season
                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

shocker
                                                                                                  airport, lol

Comment

Von Miller just ran right round your man! Might be going to bed early

Lol this is mental
                                                                                                    Last edited by ghostface; 25-11-13, 01:56.

Comment

was thinking the same, but id hate to miss a Tom Brady display comeback
                                                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

Why wouldn't the ref let them charge the kicker at the end?

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                                                                          Why wouldn't the ref let them charge the kicker at the end?
                                                                                                          missed that I have no idea
                                                                                                          airport, lol

Comment

game on
                                                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

what a way to lose a game!
                                                                                                              airport, lol

Comment

I actually thought he was focussing more on wasting time (took a full two minutes) and Owens should have blown him for it. I've started reversing frees\penalty corners a lot this season for timewasting.
                                                                                                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Before any of you point it out, I am aware of the unfortunate phraseology above.
                                                                                                                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Zen and the art of driving. This truck driver has been around the block a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                                                      I think Sexton was hindered slightly by the crowd.

An attempt at silence, punctuated by a few shouts, people telling the shouters to shut up, people telling the people telling the shouters to shut up to shut up. Then a few air horns, followed by people telling the airhorners to stop. Just a mess.
                                                                                                                      And one of his pauses on the run-up seemed to be in reaction to an intrusive crowd noise, and he tried to begin the routine again, realised he'd no time and clusterfucked it.

Even though we pride ourselves (for no good reason really) on immaculate silence, I actually think JS would prefer 40,000 people chanting Ireland Ireland (or 60,000 French booing in the SdP) as he takes a kick like that.
                                                                                                                      I agree completely. Not natural to have a silent stadium when you've had shouting all through the game.

Was in the pub and they even went silent for one kick You'd be half afraid to talk even there.

Comment

oh hey clutch chat

Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

@raoul, trott has gone home from ashes

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X