• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
    Meh, each mistake was a mistake.

They all add up.

Murray's kick - Ultimately a converted try
    Toner's block - a kickable penalty
    SOB's holding on with ref shouting at him - a kickable penalty
    McGrath sealing ruck with referee telling him to stand - Ultimately a converted try

Sexton's conversion - Post cost us 2 points
    Sexton's Penalty - Miss costs us 3 points
    Sexton's crossfield kick attempt to a well marked Bowe - Cost us possession and probably the opportunity to create a penalty opportunity after we'd been reeling.

Imo, the last mistake, while harder to quantify, was far worse than the missed penalty.

People choose the one they want to be the "decisive one", but in reality, there were plenty of things that we didn't need to do, or to do better, that would have been the winning of the game.
    In reality, the outcome of Sexton's kick would have tilted win probabilities more than any of the above incidents. If he makes the kick, Ireland are favourites.

McGrath's incident was very unfortunate because we were so close but in the modern game it's hard to kill the clock by holding onto it any longer than we did. And if Sexton had done what he's supposed to it wouldn't have been an issue.

It's the key moment. Feel free to continue not understanding that.
    "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
      Completely agree. Neville drew on the rugby comparison too adding that he'd like to see refs miked up during the game and brought into post-game discussions. I'd also love to see the introduction of a zero tolerance policy on players approaching the ref. Still a lot of progressive changes that could be made in football.
      The Captain should be the only one allowed to approach the ref to discuss a decision. Would be an incredibly easy to implement rule change that would have zero affect on the flow or entertainment of the game.
      "Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally." - John Maynard Keynes

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyLloyd View Post
        In reality, the outcome of Sexton's kick would have tilted win probabilities more than any of the above incidents. If he makes the kick, Ireland are favourites.

McGrath's incident was very unfortunate because we were so close but in the modern game it's hard to kill the clock by holding onto it any longer than we did. And if Sexton had done what he's supposed to it wouldn't have been an issue.

It's the key moment. Feel free to continue not understanding that.
        feel free to go fuck yourself

The probability of an Irish win is more than 99.5% with a 5 point lead and 40s and possession.

Try talk through your mouth, not your arse.

I'm glad your posting this shit here though and not across the way, you seem to usually leave the nonsense over there.
        Last edited by Emmet; 24-11-13, 18:45.

Comment

Its not even fair how strong the Kiwi bench was. Being able to bring on both Franks brothers, Beau Barrett.Two subs made scored a try and Barrett was a very real threat when he came on from fullback, and he is a 10 by trade. They didnt even use Peranara or Cane.

Its mad.

How good were Ireland at ruck time today though? Unreal protection and presenting of the ball once tackled. Ball was so much quicker than you usually get, same off the lineout.

I thought Darcy was unreal around rucktime, so smart about it all. I also though BOD going off was the turning point as lazy as it sounds. Ben Smith really came into it after that.
          This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
            Be interesting to know what a major call is and who actually evaluated it. Doesn't seem to be mentioned in the article
            Yeah the figures quoted in that article would seem at odds would other similar articles I've read in the past. Specifically this website seems to be the most comprehensive study available in free media that tries to rate referees - http://www.refereedecisions.co.uk/

Tables of competency for this 12/13 wouldn't seem to tally with the figures Neville is using.

Final table they used shows an overall score encapsulating a few different figures.

THE best ref of the season was Jonathan Moss. He was the best ref in the competency table but also was the ref with the best general bias score. In fact he managed to make no team really suffer very very badly when he was around. And combining this with a high score in his decision making it is a remarkable achievement.

Opr

Comment

feel free to go fuck yourself

The probability of an Irish win is more than 99.5% with a 5 point lead and 40s and possession.

Try talk through your mouth, not your arse.

I'm glad your posting this shit here though and not across the way, you seem to usually leave the nonsense over there.
              You seem quite perturbed.

What's the probability of an Irish win with an 8 point lead, 40s left and possession then?

Comment

Meh.

Can only be delighted in retrospect. How many of us genuinely thought we had a chance today against an AB team going for 14/14? Silly squabbling against men who gave evrrything is unworthy of them, whatever about us.

Lead on Joe. Moar!
                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                  Yeah the figures quoted in that article would seem at odds would other similar articles I've read in the past. Specifically this website seems to be the most comprehensive study available in free media that tries to rate referees - http://www.refereedecisions.co.uk/

Tables of competency for this 12/13 wouldn't seem to tally with the figures Neville is using.

Final table they used shows an overall score encapsulating a few different figures.

Opr
                  Fascinating to see Howard Webb rank ~6th there when he is widely celebrated as the best referee and frequently assigned the highest profile matches.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazare View Post
                    Have a joint of beef roasting, I'm thinking of experimenting with mustard mash.

Gonna cream up the potatos with butter and cream, I usually add chopped coriander, may still do but this time I'm gonna mix in a dollop of mustard, probably dijon, I reckon it will work really well with the beef.

Has anyone ever tried it?

Could use horseradish too, hmmm, may try a little of each.
                    Moutarde de meaux works very well as it's slightly grainy and not as sharp.

Making roast duck myself for this evening. Smells amazing, and a huge tray of roast potatoes cooked in the fat. Yum!!!!

Comment

mmm, i had to get them

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                        Moutarde de meaux works very well as it's slightly grainy and not as sharp.

Making roast duck myself for this evening. Smells amazing, and a huge tray of roast potatoes cooked in the fat. Yum!!!!
                        I'm all out unfort.

Really can't wait for mine, about 20 mins left, yours sounds delish though, enjoy.
                        I hold silver in tit for tat, and I love you for that

Comment

Fascinating to see Howard Webb rank ~6th there when he is widely celebrated as the best referee and frequently assigned the highest profile matches.
                          Its circular though - because he gets the highest profile games its going to affect his ranking negatively.

Webb will get Arsenal v United where both teams will claim everything from throw-ins upwards, heckle him over every decision, kick and punch each other at corners, generally dive and cheat the whole game.

Meanwhile one of the refs above him in the list will suanter serenely through ManCity v Hull a few hours later. City 2 up after 20 minutes, game over, and no-one too bothered about pushing the rules to the limits.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                            Its circular though - because he gets the highest profile games its going to affect his ranking negatively.

Webb will get Arsenal v United where both teams will claim everything from throw-ins upwards, heckle him over every decision, kick and punch each other at corners, generally dive and cheat the whole game.

Meanwhile one of the refs above him in the list will suanter serenely through ManCity v Hull a few hours later. City 2 up after 20 minutes, game over, and no-one too bothered about pushing the rules to the limits.
                            Hmm, good point.

Comment

Have a joint of beef roasting, I'm thinking of experimenting with mustard mash.

Gonna cream up the potatos with butter and cream, I usually add chopped coriander, may still do but this time I'm gonna mix in a dollop of mustard, probably dijon, I reckon it will work really well with the beef.

Has anyone ever tried it?

Could use horseradish too, hmmm, may try a little of each.
                              Hot fookin diggity dawg, that was darn tasty

Comment

The 'funny' thing is is that Jack McGrath conceded a penalty with 35s left on the clock with a referee telling him to stop or he'd penalise him and Sexton is the fall guy.

Or that Toner gave away a grade A stupid 3 points after 51 minutes, but still Sexton is the fall guy.

Or that the lead up to the NZ try in the first half there was a woefully poor clearance kick from Murray on our own 10m line that was overcooked, to a well placed back 3, who managed to run us raggedly through some phases before the beautiful kick from Cruden to put Savea over.

Or that Aaron Cruden, the guy who kicked the winning kick, missed a similarly kickable penalty.

Just the 4 errors that "if not made" make up the points required to win the game, and another error that if not made mean that Sexton's kick has no bearing.

But sure, focus on the mistake you want to.

You'll find a problem anywhere if you look hard enough and "want it" hard enough.
                                You will find an point for your argument if you look hard enough, Sexton should of kicked than penalty, O'Gara would of never missed, #Clutchplayer

Comment

Is there anywhere Colm can watch a replay of the rugby match online in Canada.

he wouldnt have a clue about techy stuff so a simple link maybe??
                                  Her sky-ness
                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                    Is there anywhere Colm can watch a replay of the rugby match online in Canada.

he wouldnt have a clue about techy stuff so a simple link maybe??
                                    It's available on RTE Player, get him to download Hola unblocker on chrome, and open it via the browser.

On another note, don't buy the car. Don't buy any car. Wait five weeks.

Comment

It's available on RTE Player, get him to download Hola unblocker on chrome, and open it via the browser.

On another note, don't buy the car. Don't buy any car. Wait five weeks.
                                      Thanks!

I am buying a car. My beamer is gonna drop in value big time . plus the power steering is going. or the steering rack not sure lol

In a haggling war with a garage in Dublin at the min .
                                      Last edited by SatNav; 24-11-13, 20:41.
                                      Her sky-ness
                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Thanks!

I am buying a car. My beamer is gonna drop in value big time . plus the power steering is going. or the steering rack not sure lol

In a haggling war with a garage in Dublin at the min .
                                        Don't buy it Michelle, wait until Jan.

Your BMW will drop in value sure, but it's all relative, so will the car you're buying.

You would be stone cold crazy to buy a €10k+ second hand car in late November. It will be a year older in five weeks time, and possibly worth €1500 less.

Comment

Originally posted by Fowlerthegowler View Post
                                          You will find an point for your argument if you look hard enough, Sexton should of kicked than penalty, O'Gara would of never missed, #Clutchplayer
                                          What is all this shite. Might as well say David humphreys would have kicked it or any other out half who is retired.

Pathetic all the red v blue crap going on post game. Munster don't have a good enough out half so get used to sexton or start pretending that Jackson is up to the job.

One of the best days I can remember in the aviva. First time since the first half against Wales in the six nations last season we have come to play.
                                          Aggressive defense, hitting rucks to get quick ball, solid scrum, line out with 1 mistake? With 2 throwers and it took to the last play for the best team in the world to get ahead and rob us.

Today I was disappointed and felt like I was punched in the guts at the end. Week before against oz I just felt I had wasted a day and my cash. Today I get to optimistic about what is to come. New coach starting yo get his pattern and how to play through to his players and also the players learning to play his new system.

Lets not forget the all blacks are a settled squad with a full season of test rugby finishing up not just getting it together.

If rog (retired by kidney let us not forget) can stand by and say sexton is the man for the job can it not finally be put to bed.

On the good side welcome back to top level performance rob Kearney.

Comment

Your BMW will drop in value sure, but it's all relative, so will the car you're buying.

You would be stone cold crazy to buy a €10k+ second hand car in late November. It will be a year older in five weeks time, and possibly worth €1500 less.
                                            I have researched all this and think you are wrong... at the end of the day its just a juggle of figures. I am getting a car this week. I will not get a 2011 for the budget I have, Its gonna be 2010 .My car will drop big time , its gonna be 10 years old in 6 weeks
                                            Her sky-ness
                                            © 5starpool

Comment

That reminds me, what's the craic with all these guys looking to buy second hand cars for cash, all these signs at traffic lights. They're at every junction it seems.

What's the angle? Is there a huge market abroad somewhere for second hand right hand drive cars, similar to the Jap car explosion?

I can't figure out where the money is

Comment

I have researched all this and think you are wrong... at the end of the day its just a juggle of figures. I am getting a car this week. I will not get a 2011 for the budget I have, Its gonna be 2010 .My car will drop big time , its gonna be 10 years old in 6 weeks
                                                Do you realise depreciation does not occur at the same rate for every car? Im sure you do but the comment my car will drop big time makes me wonder.

A 9 year old car wont drop anywhere near the same level as your newer car.
                                                Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

BBV help plz

Anyone here know anyone in the NDLS (Naas) that might be able speed up the process of getting a learner driver card?

PM please.

Might be asking the same question again in a few of weeks re the full driving license.

I have a bet on with a mate that I won't have a full driving license by the end of the year and I'm only taking my finger out to get it now. It's prob impossible to get it done but going to try anyway. He's counting his money already and rubbing it in every chance he gets so would love to turn around on NYE and pretend to hand him the fifty but give him the license instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Caf View Post
                                                    Anyone here know anyone in the NDLS (Naas) that might be able speed up the process of getting a learner driver card?

PM please.

Might be asking the same question again in a few of weeks re the full driving license.

I have a bet on with a mate that I won't have a full driving license by the end of the year and I'm only taking my finger out to get it now. It's prob impossible to get it done but going to try anyway. He's counting his money already and rubbing it in every chance he gets so would love to turn around on NYE and pretend to hand him the fifty but give him the license instead.
                                                    Is there not a rule now that you can't do your driving test until you have your learners one for at least 6 months?

Edit: Yep. Pay the man.

First-time learner permit holders (in certain categories) must wait six months before they can sit their driving test. Information about who this applies to and exemptions.

Comment

The car you are buying will also drop in value in Jan (by a whole lot more), it's all relative.

You'd want to be mad to buy a car five weeks before new year.

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                        Do you realise depreciation does not occur at the same rate for every car? Im sure you do but the comment my car will drop big time makes me wonder.

A 9 year old car wont drop anywhere near the same level as your newer car.
                                                        I actually dont think a 2010 qashqai will drop much tbh. there is very little difference between an 09 and 10 at the min.

Is there any ex car sales men here?? lol
                                                        Her sky-ness
                                                        © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post
                                                          What is all this shite. Might as well say David humphreys would have kicked it or any other out half who is retired.

Pathetic all the red v blue crap going on post game. Munster don't have a good enough out half so get used to sexton or start pretending that Jackson is up to the job.

One of the best days I can remember in the aviva. First time since the first half against Wales in the six nations last season we have come to play.
                                                          Aggressive defense, hitting rucks to get quick ball, solid scrum, line out with 1 mistake? With 2 throwers and it took to the last play for the best team in the world to get ahead and rob us.

Today I was disappointed and felt like I was punched in the guts at the end. Week before against oz I just felt I had wasted a day and my cash. Today I get to optimistic about what is to come. New coach starting yo get his pattern and how to play through to his players and also the players learning to play his new system.

Lets not forget the all blacks are a settled squad with a full season of test rugby finishing up not just getting it together.

If rog (retired by kidney let us not forget) can stand by and say sexton is the man for the job can it not finally be put to bed.

Not based on the whole blue v red, it was regarding our previous out half vrs the current one. Sexton is the best in Ireland and was for the last few years of O'Garas career, however in those situations you could always rely on Ronan #clutch

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                            Is there not a rule now that you can't do your driving test until you have your learners one for at least 6 months?
                                                            Yeah 6 months, I did the theory test back in Feb/March though. I'm assuming(hoping) it's not a case of 6 months from getting the actual card though.

Comment

The car you are buying will also drop in value in Jan, it's all relative.

You'd want to be mad to buy a car five weeks before new year.
                                                              Either way it will be 2010. So what do you think I am going to save by waiting? I reckon fuck all.

appreciate the feedback btw

my own car is on dodgy ground right now. The noise from the steering is fairly bad. if that goes I am fucked . I am not pumping money into it now. I am being offered between 2.2 k and 3k for it with trade in
                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

I would be stone cold crazy to buy a €10k+ second hand car in late November. It will be a year older in five weeks time, and will worth €1500 less.
                                                                good one for the haggle,could save a few $$$
                                                                Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Yeah 6 months, I did the theory test back in Feb/March though. I'm assuming(hoping) it's not a case of 6 months from getting the actual card though.

Do you have a driver number?

Comment

Edit: Yep. Pay the man.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Learner-Dri.../6-Month-Rule/
                                                                    Just saw the link now, still pay the man?

I have a cert here with category BW on it.

Comment

Originally posted by amberleaf View Post
                                                                      good one for the haggle,could save a few $$$
                                                                      This is the one I am on about.
                                                                      Leinster Motor Group, based at the Red Cow Interchange, quality used cars, car finance, Dublin.

They want 12.950 along with mine. I said not a hope. I said 12k he asked manager , manager said not a hope. So I fucked off.

Whats my play here? what will they drop to do ye reckon?
                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                        Do you have a driver number?
                                                                        That cert says 'driver number:' but there's no number beside it.

There is a cert number.

Comment

I would have thought that this was a good time of year to be buying a car from a garage that isn't selling any new cars and needs to clear the forecourt for all the SH cars that will be coming in during Jan

Once a car is over 5 years the mileage, condition and number of owners matters a lot more than the year on the registration.
                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

everyone will be looking for Kansas City in playoffs now, nice throw from Rivers

Comment

Leinster Motor Group, based at the Red Cow Interchange, quality used cars, car finance, Dublin.

They want 12.950 along with mine. I said not a hope. I said 12k he asked manager , manager said not a hope. So I fucked off.

Stand your ground. Nobody is buying second hand cars at this time of year.

Tell him you've decided to reconsider your offer. Then tell him your new offer is €11k.

Tell him to take it or GTFO.

You'll get it for €11.5k

Comment

I'm still a bit shocked that theres a car called a Qashqai, assumed MSN was making it up but seems to be real.

Comment

tell them you got 11.700.i'll find another 500,other then that i'll give my money to someone else,country full of cars its a buyers market.
                                                                                  Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Originally posted by RichieM View Post

We can recognise Sexton as the best outhalf we have and the incumbent in the medium to long term yet comment on how he isn't clutch. There is grey. The no criticism zone that Leinster fans want to create around their big names (and coach) is ridiculous. Sexton is a fine footballer, but isn't money. Few players are the whole package, that's life.

Comment

Stand your ground. Nobody is buying second hand cars at this time of year.

Tell him you've decided to reconsider your offer. Then tell him your new offer is €11k.

Tell him to take it or GTFO.

You'll get it for €11.5k
                                                                                      I have seen loads of them now , on done deal constantly and that one is by far the best value around. not a hope of them dropping to that not a hope.
                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        I would have thought that this was a good time of year to be buying a car from a garage that isn't selling any new cars and needs to clear the forecourt for all the SH cars that will be coming in during Jan

Once a car is over 5 years the mileage, condition and number of owners matters a lot more than the year on the registration.
                                                                                        Michelle is looking at two and three year old cars.

Comment

We can recognise Sexton as the best outhalf we have and the incumbent in the medium to long term yet comment on how he isn't clutch. There is grey. The no criticism zone that Leinster fans want to create around their big names (and coach) is ridiculous. Sexton is a fine footballer, but isn't money. Few players are the whole package, that's life.
                                                                                          You are aware that Sexton is not a Leinster player aren't you
                                                                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

days like today makes you remember the good times. The best clutch 10 in world rugby. Father time catches up on us all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUsXNXCivgs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE3CF7x9KzU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdlKIOviVB0

Comment

I'm still a bit shocked that theres a car called a Qashqai, assumed MSN was making it up but seems to be real.
                                                                                              Its weird when you decide on a car. Everywhere I fucking look I see one!

Have to say , it really is a lovely car/jeep whatever lol. Love it!

Was in the process of buying the Peuget and so many people put me off so decided against it
                                                                                              Her sky-ness
                                                                                              © 5starpool

Comment

I have seen loads of them now , on done deal constantly and that one is by far the best value around. not a hope of them dropping to that not a hope.
                                                                                                That doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

If you've got cash you've got clout.

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                                                                                                  days like today makes you remember the good times. The best clutch 10 in world rugby. Father time catches up on us all
                                                                                                  Cant believe you missed this one, from 03:55

George Hook talks about Munster Rugby and the famous Miracle Match in the Heineken Cup v Gloucester in 2003. Classic quote from Hooky after witnessing the ga...

Comment

WTPL?

Comment

Its weird when you decide on a car. Everywhere I fucking look I see one!

Have to say , it really is a lovely car/jeep whatever lol. Love it!

Was in the process of buying the Peuget and so many people put me off so decided against it
                                                                                                      The Quashqai is a lovely car, better choice imo. Lol at people saying they wouldn't drive it because of it's name. WTF?

Comment

yup,cash is king alright
                                                                                                        Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Just saw the link now, still pay the man?

I have a cert here with category BW on it.
                                                                                                          According to the link it is 6 months from the date of issue of the learners permit, so unless you have that you will be screwed. Don't you have to have 12 lessons with a certified instructor or something as well before you can even apply for the test? I'm sure you could do that in a few days if you had to, but I think you are going to be hard pushed even if the 6 month rule doesn't apply here.

Not for us to confirm of course, but looks like you are snookered to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                            You are aware that Sexton is not a Leinster player aren't you
                                                                                                            Schmidt isn't the Leinster coach anymore either...

Comment

According to the link it is 6 months from the date of issue of the learners permit, so unless you have that you will be screwed. Don't you have to have 12 lessons with a certified instructor or something as well before you can even apply for the test? I'm sure you could do that in a few days if you had to, but I think you are going to be hard pushed even if the 6 month rule doesn't apply here.

Not for us to confirm of course, but looks like you are snookered to me.
                                                                                                              So now I really need to find someone who works in the NDLS!

Yeah it's 12 lessons, work are sorting them out for me as a bonus, which was pretty sound of them considering I don't need to drive for my job. I must ask would they be able to speed up the process too.

You need a note from the instructor to book the test but don't need to actually have the 12 completed to apply. I was chatting to a guy over the weekend who has done 8 and has applied for his full test.

Comment

Those Qashqais hold their value very well and are popular second hand cars. Assuming its correctly priced initially, there's no reason for them to drop a grand from an asking of €13k.

Your BMW shouldn't really depreciate at the turn of the year just because its another year older, whereas a newer car will. In saying that, if you plan to keep the car for a long time, are happy with the condition and the price, who cares what its worth in a few months?

Comment

I remember hoping Raoul Duke would buy a Nissan Juke, just because of the name. I also think of Kayroo every time I see a Renault Kangoo. Possible mild dyslexia
                                                                                                                  Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Did O'Gara never miss a penalty in his career? Also remember him kicking away possession with ridiculous chips/Garryowens in a couple of Irish games and a crucial Lions game if memory serves.
                                                                                                                    You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                                                                                                    World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                                      Those Qashqais hold their value very well and are popular second hand cars. Assuming its correctly priced initially, there's no reason for them to drop a grand from an asking of €13k.

Your BMW shouldn't really depreciate at the turn of the year just because its another year older, whereas a newer car will. In saying that, if you plan to keep the car for a long time, are happy with the condition and the price, who cares what its worth in a few months?
                                                                                                                      agreed , I have researched qashqais non stop for over a week and the reviews are excellent. They are everywhere for a reason. very very popular. That one I linked is by far the best I have found. I really really want it. Wonder if I called tomorrow and offfered 12.4 would they accept surely ta fuck they will drop 500 no?
                                                                                                                      Her sky-ness
                                                                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

...
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Hitchhiker's Guide To...; 24-11-13, 22:21.
                                                                                                                        "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

...
                                                                                                                          "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X