X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
      Think you might have missed some part of how the paper actually works there. He's not advocating guessing instead of learning. But if there's some questions you just don't know, then you always guess under these rules.
      I agree. Reward outweighs risk but if you are a complete weirdo or really can't afford to fail for whatever reason Im sure there are some circumstances where guessing isn't correct but I dont think anybody would not guess!
      This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
      All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
      The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Comment

It is just a genuine misunderstanding so Ill just slowly walk away.
          All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
          The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa View Post
            It is just a genuine misunderstanding so Ill just slowly walk away.
            Back and to the left

Comment

I remember having the same argument with a friend of mine in college, the marking scheme was something like +3 correct answer, -0.5 wrong answer, with 3 potential answers in each question. He was stressing about the negative marking and advocating only picking an answer if you were absolutely certain of the answer. I was like .

He's now an actuary. Go figure...

Comment

Heh. Those three women slaves just released in the UK. They get 45 days accommodation and that's potentially it. What a situation: country frees people from slavery, leaves them probably worse off. Go Go Britain.
                Well to be fair they've probably got very few social insurance stamps.

Comment

Originally posted by Gholimoli View Post
                  cant access the full tilt site from iran.
                  could some kind soul copy and paste and FTOPS sched here please .
                  many thanks.
                  Here you go Gholi.

SPOILER

Comment

Originally posted by Bubbleking View Post
                    the reason I say one blank is that 66 answers right answering the full 100 will give you 49.5% i.e. a fail

while answering 66 right only answering 99 will give you 50.5.

At what point does it become +ev to stop guessing. if at all?
                    If every guess is worth .25 marks on average then how could it ever be correct to stop guessing without having reached a guaranteed win?

By guaranteed win if you 100% knew the answer to 67 questions then guessing any others would be silly because it has a categorical outcome at that threshold and you are risking everything to gain nothing.

But with your example you cannot be permitted to assume you have 66 questions right with one question to go. If you could somehow know that then answering the final one would be an error, but not being able to know that means that it's simply a case of that last question being worth an average of .25 so the logic of guessing that one is the same as all the previous guesses.

Comment

Paleo muffins with almond flour, orange juice and dark chocolate chips. Fucking awesome.
                      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                        If every guess is worth .25 marks on average then how could it ever be correct to stop guessing without having reached a guaranteed win?

By guaranteed win if you 100% knew the answer to 67 questions then guessing any others would be silly because it has a categorical outcome at that threshold and you are risking everything to gain nothing.

But with your example you cannot be permitted to assume you have 66 questions right with one question to go. If you could somehow know that then answering the final one would be an error, but not being able to know that means that it's simply a case of that last question being worth an average of .25 so the logic of guessing that one is the same as all the previous guesses.
                        I think this is what I was trying to get at.

Comment

BK, I kind of see what you are driving at, but the flaw in the theory is how do you decide which question to leave unanswered?

Comment

I wonder at what stage did the police know the missus was filming them? Probably straight away in order for them not to lose the rag with this guy! Can't imagine the gardai being as sociable with some guy wasting 20 minutes of their time while being stopped for talking on the mobile

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

I think ultimate ev (from passing point of view) is to guess to your hearts content on ones you're uncertain about or flat out don't know but to only answer 99.
                              Profit before people.

Comment

How could you not love this song, I posted it yonks ago. see they are on the late late show tonight! love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieQ0w_gzS0U
                                Her sky-ness
                                © 5starpool

Comment

jaysus . an ex of mine from 25 years ago just text me ( still friends) to tell me he was reading a book and there is a picture of me in it from when I was in the musical society in Tipp yrs ago. 31 years ago the pic was taken

feeling fucking ancient

Last edited by SatNav; 23-11-13, 00:33.
                                  Her sky-ness
                                  © 5starpool

Comment

Good start to the 3rd day...

Comment

Turning millions into thousands

Comment

England could win this yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                          That's some trick they do about the minute mark!
                                          Redbet at the Dublin Poker Invasion FTW

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                            Aussie collapse incoming?

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                              Aussie collapse incoming?
                                              They need Clarke not to get tied in knots by Broad before lunch, 90 for 3 or 4 would suddenly be a crisis.

Comment

Feck off rain

Comment

Can't go tomorrow. Raging. Fecking teaching means - up 5am, teach 9-5:30, rinse repeat for Sunday. Just wouldn't actually be awake for the talk.

Enjoy it.
                                                  Ah fecks sake, no hassle though, the wife doesn't really get the concept of 'the people on the internet' so introductions might have been a tad awkward.

Is beer still on for next weekend? Trying to sort something here.
                                                  Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle SatNav View Post
                                                    How could you not love this song, I posted it yonks ago. see they are on the late late show tonight! love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieQ0w_gzS0U
                                                    It's gash.
                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Solid first session but now sleep time

Comment

lack of Fri night posts?

filling the gap...

SPOILER

Comment

I never understood those multiple choice with negative marking tests, they bring a huge amount of variance into the test. If you get the 33% right your a flip to pass, Id find it hard to study long for that!

Theres definitely some merit to Theresa's (better explained by hotspur) point of if your 100& sure youve got 67 right you'd be incorrect to answer anymore.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Semibluff View Post
                                                                Sounds amazing and right down your street! Fair fks! Im sure youll still be standing come the end, barring an injury!

When does it start? are you going to do a regular blog on it?
                                                                Startson the 13th of Jan. I'm back in dublin from 6th dec to 6th jan, so timing works out pretty well. I'll be over the jet lag and the xmas dinner just in time.

I'll prob keep going with my log, but be no harm to start with a clean slate too I suppose

Comment

Good stuff Aussies and especially Warner. Now for KP to have a good knock tomorrow and finish top English batsman for this test please

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                    《Insert roflcopters》

Go Warner too. All set up nicely.
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Stellar day of quality sport today. The betfair chase, Dortmund v Munich and France v South Africa all look fairly epic.
                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                        yup, will be watching through my hands.

NZ to round off a perfect season by clubbing us to death.
                                                                        Originally posted by TomD View Post
                                                                        Dagg first try scorer is 10/1
                                                                        NZ -20 points is evens
                                                                        meh throw the bodies at em,we'll be grand.....keep the faith boys,keep the faith.
                                                                        Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                          The Chess has been a great event to follow, the live coverage has been superb both commentary teams were brilliant.
                                                                          All over now. Interesting to see if anyone can seriously challenge Karlson in the near future, looks like he could dominate for years to come.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post

Chromecast should let you cast the tab but a quick google says there is some problems with frame rates

this should help
                                                                            http://www.techhive.com/article/2045...hromecast.html
                                                                            Christ i'm a monkey.

Ty ty.

The quality is fine.

Comment

Sturridge not starting

Suarez first goal then

Comment

anyone have signal trouble with the nexus 5? constantly losing signal and getting emergency calls only.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                  Sturridge not starting

Suarez first goal then
                                                                                  Is this Joe Allens first start this season?
                                                                                  ﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                                    anyone have signal trouble with the nexus 5? constantly losing signal and getting emergency calls only.
                                                                                    No signal problems for me.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothcall View Post
                                                                                      I never understood those multiple choice with negative marking tests, they bring a huge amount of variance into the test. If you get the 33% right your a flip to pass, Id find it hard to study long for that!

Theres definitely some merit to Theresa's (better explained by hotspur) point of if your 100& sure youve got 67 right you'd be incorrect to answer anymore.
                                                                                      well its more than that - after you are sure you got so many right you then need to weigh the benefits of getting a higher score as it ranks you higher in the class - better job when you graduate.

I know a lot of people are paranoid about negative marking so will leave a lot of questions blank giving up a .25% edge as hotspur pointed out.

Or my strat you could run bad and end up worse than where you would have been

Comment

Serious chance here for Everton to draw level with Liverpool considering the line ups, Luis may well be sluggish after his globetrotting with Uruguay. Lukaku got plenty of Joy against Liverpool last season too.

Come on the toffees.
                                                                                        Profit before people.

Comment

ez game

not so ez
                                                                                          Last edited by ghostface; 23-11-13, 12:53.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                            No signal problems for me.
                                                                                            wonder if it's my sim card

Comment

1st proper game in the RLWC about to start now too 4 weeks into the tournament, NZ still a 6 pt fav

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                1st proper game in the RLWC about to start now too 4 weeks into the tournament, NZ still a 6 pt fav
                                                                                                Samoa Fiji was a fantastic QF also. Well worth watching.

Comment

Jaysus if that pass was infield what a try!

Comment

Phenomenal. Great game so far

Comment

Not watching the derby?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                                                                        Not watching the derby?
                                                                                                        Derby on comp, RL on the tv. The crackin try was during the BT sports half time shite

Think Mirallas doesn't like Suarez much

FFS!

Comment

About fecking time Lukaku.
                                                                                                          Profit before people.

Comment

That's a bad miss by Suarez

Comment

Im doing a project on Cyprus for International business. I got a personal interview from my neighbour who lectured throughout the middle east and has spent time in most countries and the lecturer loved it for the culture section.

Im trying to get something similar for the economic section. Just sent the President a tweet, he only has 11k followers. Il throw an email to his office while im at it who knows Even if it just some randomer in his office who answers it it would look good.
                                                                                                              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Made this post before a multiple choice exam last year. It was a repeat exam so the fact the grade was capped added a few variables.

Multiple Choice Exam - You receive 2.5 marks for a correct answer, and are deducted 0.7 marks for an incorrect answer. There are 34 questions with 5 an
                                                                                                                Poker Podcast Playlist

Comment

bing bing bing, 4-3 winner coming up

Comment

Playing Skrtel and Agger against the kind of striker that rapes them every single time made sense. Midfield non-existent as usual.

edit - BINK

Comment

Holy fuck. Never cheered so much for an England side. What a game.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                                                                                                        Holy fuck. Never cheered so much for an England side. What a game.
                                                                                                                        SBW does not knock balls on, how dare the ref think so. Eng should have wrapped it up there

Comment

SBW does not knock balls on, how dare the ref think so. Eng should have wrapped it up there
                                                                                                                          Pretty much. What a player. Can't help thinking there's another twist to come though.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X