Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

remember the Freeman video on here a while ago of the mother being arrested and some freeman vulture telling her not to give consent?

Apparently the group the guy belongs to has started setting up their own courts in a community centre in Cork and are issuing summons to people, and saying anyone found guilty in their courts will be locked up in a cave.

Apparently the Magdalene Laundries were run under UCC Law, which is a maritime court, and thus UCC law society is responsible. Also UCC is ran by Bank of Ireland and Pfizer.

Absolute madness.
    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
      SP even named it!

(SP ambiguity between Strewelpeter and SickPuppy is good)
      Oh right, lol that makes sense I guess! Looks pretty class, ever been?

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
      Dingle is great Craic alright, but new years is just ridiculous back there now, its become too popular. Heard a certain Nightclub was dangerously overcrowded last NYE (or it might have been stephens Night), there was something about Guards sending buses from Tralee back where they came from on the Lispole road too
      I wouldn't be too worried tbh, there's only so much accommodation in the environs and if thousands of people had a bad time there last year that's probably a good number who won't return.

It's always been pretty deranged busy any year I've been back there if you decide you're just going to go to the Droichead and the Hillgrove then you're probably gonna have a bad time but hopefully a lot of other places will be ok as they've always been when I've been before.

The Hillgrove will be deranged and disgusting from around 1am onwards for sure but unless the place has fallen off a cliff in the one year I've been away it'll probably be pretty good. That said, there are probably a million other places equally good too - Kenmare is one that I've had good craic in before.

Comment

Originally posted by jbravado View Post
        Are staking firms profitable as a whole? I literally have no idea if they are or not, I guess shrewdies wouldnt be involved in them if they werent but I still find it tough to believe they can make any real money.
        I find it hard to fathom how they could be, surely people "pulling a Chips" would be quite a frequent occurrence given it's basically just an agreement of trust at the end of the day between two parties often living thousands of miles from each other. Like surely even the successful players within stables won't last too long when they start to feel comfortable that they can make it on their own.

Kinda brings me back to the nipping debate here a while back, is it not more a case that the stakers just like to be seen staking and enjoy the power over any long term monetary gain that it may bring??

Don't think Shakespeare was too far off the mark with his neither a lender or a borrower spiel.
        Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
          Make up is very definitely the norm. Hence why so many hedge funds put themselves out of business after a few dodgy years - as they've no hope of making up the losses.
          Wrong, you need to make a distinction between hedge funds and investment managers who run them. Investment managers make money regardless of makeup though different types of fees they charge, and from what I understand from what flushdraw is saying it is different to poker makeup.
          No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
            Oh right, lol that makes sense I guess! Looks pretty class, ever been?
            Nope, was home for NYE when I lived there. Going this year though!

Comment

Originally posted by TheJiggaman View Post
              Car that nobody in my house owns parked in our driveway around 3:30 am. It has a load of toilet paper on it with other stuff written on it. My guess was it was robbed or a student from elsewhere maybe even drink driving.

What do I do if it's still there in the morning? Would Guards take it away if I rang?
              I should be over that direction after college il have to have a look ha

On the poker front I always realised I wasnt fantastic but was able to beat a certain level at a certain time. Im glad when the time came where I knew I couldnt really do much more than breakeven after RB that I basically withdrew a 3k bankroll down from a consistent 5k for about 2 years.

I didnt really blame variance for my bad run as I had been above ev for possibly half a million hands. I did move down to 20nl but I just had no interest anymore. I suppose other would have found things to blame for the bad run but I kind of knew my time was up and ran.
              Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                What do you think of poker players living arrangements? If any of these players are living in an expensive country they are throwing money away due to being able to do their job anywhere, I suppose remote IT work is the same, as a chinese friend works for an Irish company, from china. Said the average where he is is <500 per month and he is pretty rich there. First thing, as a poker player, I would do is move somewhere with a low average monthly income. Very low cost of living. I saw a tournament in august where first won $1,437,190 and second was $632,364. Second was actually more money to the people winning it as they lived in eastern Europe. Average weekly net Ireland ~3k, a lot of other countries have 400 - 600. You'd live pretty sweet in asia etc.

TLDR moving to asia.
                Yeah its a great idea i dont know why more people don't do it, i dont know if you read my mini-trip report on mexico in here but suggested something similar if you can work from a laptop/computer.

Re: Chips, Talked to him sporadically on skype and like everyone has said thought he seemed to have his head in the right place. Strange one but obv never seize to be amazed with what happens in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                  Look at the fundamentals of it.

Winning poker players overall make X in a year. Staking companies take Y as a profit. The winning players are left with X-Y.

Given poker players amplify the importance of EV at every stop and turn I am bemused that the fact that a third party is taking a share of the overall profit made by poker players is glossed over.
                  The reason it works for backers is that they are getting enough people who can play profitably to surrender a high enough percentage of their ev to compensate for all the duds and hit and run merchants.
                  The reason it works for players is that they get bankroll management services and little else.
                  As we have always said bankroll management is one of the key skills in the game there has simply got to be an issue when people are willing to give up so much in order to have it done for them. The idea that players are being staked to play at levels they otherwise couldn't afford or are in jeopardy at is
                  so obviously wrong that it shouldn't need to be discussed.

A staked poker player is doing a job that reminds me of a toll booth operator. Sitting in the middle of a complex computerised financial system performing the only part of the process that cannot be performed by a machine, in this case the restrictions are legal though despite extensive use of hem SS and huds there is still a modicum of skill needed by the grinders.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the model, its hardly win / win more like win / meh but it is not a sustainable model, it has sucked all the value out of the game and will eventually kill them completely..
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                      I think colquhom's main point was that chips wasn't doing very well and that like the vast majority of people he'd be better off not playing poker - a point for which he was savagely attacked and ridiculed for.
                      This is the gist of it. Coluqum made some fairly clueless observations regarding the modern staking culture but the essence of the post was that maybe your life would be better without poker/gambling. Gets abused and then chips goes and screws your man, textbook 'dirty world of gambling' stuff.

Comment

Comment

anyone have jamie olivers ministry of food book and can post up the crabcake recipe? remember it was easy and turned out decent
                          airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                            I find it hard to fathom how they could be, surely people "pulling a Chips" would be quite a frequent occurrence given it's basically just an agreement of trust at the end of the day between two parties often living thousands of miles from each other. Like surely even the successful players within stables won't last too long when they start to feel comfortable that they can make it on their own.

Kinda brings me back to the nipping debate here a while back, is it not more a case that the stakers just like to be seen staking and enjoy the power over any long term monetary gain that it may bring??

Don't think Shakespeare was too far off the mark with his neither a lender or a borrower spiel.
                            The top stables are making good money for sure. The lending/borrowing game also seems to work at some level as long as they dont start giving out 30 year mortgages to 70 year olds again.

Comment

It was the Economist that made those generalisations in the article linked. Although in fairness it is actually a bit of a rag. Had to stop reading it as was just annoying me too much.

Why so anti-Economist?

Comment

Sounds mindbogglingly dull :P

Comment

Ah so you were talking about the people who work for hedge funds but responding to posts about the actual hedge funds? How does that make me wrong though that you haven't read the post you are responding to?

anywho, bonus is obv tied to whether the fund is in make up or not
                                  In the 1st post you were talking about investment managers not hedge funds even though you mentioned hedge funds. Investment mangers would operate quite a few hedge funds so they would still be earning monies regardless of how the fund does.

In relation to your second post, I was responding to the claim that makeup is the norm. Makeup applies to funds where performance fees are charged and that applies a highwater mark, quite a lot of funds are set up without a performance fee clause in order to attract investors or performance fees can be set in many different ways so that high water mark does not apply.

Your 3rd post is implying that hedge funds close down due to makeup losses which can't be recovered. This is wrong, hedge funds close down because they lose investors due to losses or investors that need monies elsewhere and can't get new investors. The investment managers who undergo makeup losses would be happy enough to keep going as they would still earn management fees which is separate from performance fees and makeup losses would have no impact on management fees unless they set up the fee structure badly.
                                  Last edited by pokerhand; 21-11-13, 16:36.
                                  No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Last edited by Zod; 21-11-13, 16:48.
                                    Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

Comment

Like spotify?
                                        Like mobiles?
                                        watch this space
                                        People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                        Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                        https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

New Footlocker ad

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

gravity movie

too late spoiler!

SPOILER
                                            Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                            Hate is a bit strong, don't think you'd be as negative about it were it not for all the hype. It was decent, wouldn't register as a top 10 film this year for me. I'm finding any extreme view on the film either way fairly lol but such is modern life.
                                            really didnt enjoy it either

I prob enjoy sneering movies a lot - esp those that are in the limelight. More than happy to give credit where its due, but this film was just so full of "Blehhh"

the moment when she lands on shore and takes her first step, as if she's the new queen in apocalypto is cringeworthy. Like what they did in life of Pi, but failed

Think Castaway vs Apollo 13 . Then think wrong casting and rushing it (only 90 mins long - thank fk).

Another victory for the hype brigade!
                                            Last edited by Semibluff; 21-11-13, 18:55.
                                            GAA News Website

Comment

Spent all day reading this forum:

They aren't all as heartwarming as the one I posted!

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                Like spotify?
                                                Like mobiles?
                                                watch this space
                                                Something else or the news that was announced a few days ago about the partnership between Vodafone and Spotify?

Opr

Comment

That is some spoiler there Semi

Comment

fucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccck

Originally posted by @hughcahillrugby
                                                    Statement from Unions due just after 7pm. Reports I've heard say H Cup to go ahead next season without English clubs. Not confirmed yet

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                      Like spotify?
                                                      Like mobiles?
                                                      watch this space
                                                      Posts like these should incur mandatory bans imo.

Comment

If you have any interest in chess is well worth taking a look at today's game between anand and karlsen ... a swashbuckling slobberknocker if ever I saw one

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                          Posts like these should incur mandatory bans imo.
                                                          *more to follow*

Comment

Originally posted by dazzler View Post
                                                            If you have any interest in chess is well worth taking a look at today's game between anand and karlsen ... a swashbuckling slobberknocker if ever I saw one
                                                            SPOILER
                                                            Great game, but a shame it ended with a gigantic blunder.

Comment

Comment

Whatever about the plot.. who cares? Cuaron has realised that today's audience is very difficult to fool re effects and has set a standard which, hopefully, other filmmakers will aspire to. I thought the film was mesmerising.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                                                                  colquhom owed an apology by a good few people imo.
                                                                  VINDICATED.

Nah, I feel sorry for the guy.

I did make some pretty lol points given how little i know about staking.

However, my point that poker is a pretty bad way to spend your time for most people is quite clearly on the money.

If you get staked, the only real reason to do so is if you can't practice bankroll management.

You picked a profession (gambling), that gives you no discernible long term skills, is basically an addiction for most people and in which you are earning minimum wage. The fact that you don't possess one of the most integral skills to succeed at it is worthy of complete derision.

In fact, anybody who thinks backing is okay loses the argument by default when they realize that they're doing it because they're too much of a degen to manage their money properly.

Theres so much delusion in gambling, even from people who may be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by Emmet View Post
                                                                    fucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccck
                                                                    Meh. Ireland and France are the giants of the club game.

They'll come crawling back...
                                                                    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                      Meh. Ireland and France are the giants of the club game.

They'll come crawling back...
                                                                      could be 3 years before they're legally allowed back...

We're now rooting for BT Sport to collapse asap.

Comment

Originally posted by dazzler View Post
                                                                        any links or is it over?

Comment

Anyone still playing OFC? only got the app today, have same username as here.

Comment

It’s not a secret we love robots here at BLR, so we wanted them to be the heroes in our latest promo clip. Luxury cars with powerful engines to drive through…

A cool video on vimeo, cant embed!

It’s not a secret we love robots here at BLR, so we wanted them to be the heroes in our latest promo clip. Luxury cars with powerful engines to drive through roads under severe speed restrictions, cable TV that allows us to pay to watch all kind of sports, all from our comfortable sofa, and of course, hyper expensive cell phones that do almost everything but making a decent phone call.
                                                                            Yes, our happiness is based on things we don’t need and governed by entities we don’t control, so what? Sit down and turn on the tv!
                                                                            The robots were taken from real Japanese robot model kits, and they now hold a privileged position in our freak museum. The bad guy spits real smoke out of its mouth! The environment is made of cardboard houses that were integrated with the help of camera tweaks. It all serves to the purpose of creating a dumb homogeneous atmosphere in which we’re defined by what we’ve got, that is, the same lame things.
                                                                            Don’t take the message too seriously. This is a promo video we’ve done to laugh at ourselves. We all have an i-diot inside, and it’s so fun!
                                                                            -------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                            A tale by Big Lazy Robot VFX
                                                                            Music and sound design by Full Basstards

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                                                                              Something else or the news that was announced a few days ago about the partnership between Vodafone and Spotify?

Opr
                                                                              linked to it
                                                                              People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble

Comment

That sounds class! Yeah, have the eye now on one place that has a baby play/care area. Bit expensive though. Eh what happened to your family with the far East move??!!!
                                                                                forgot to get back to you on this, what with all of yesterday's downtime!

anyhoo, my brother is a translator/travel writer/author (as yet unpublished). the first two obviously pay the rent, but he also constantly comes up with these phenomenal project ideas. He was living up in the mountains devoting his time between writing and climbing (and sailing but that's another story), but his kids were growing up, and secondary school where he was in the alps wasn't of the highest standard so it was time to move back to civilisation. They sold the house and moved to Paris, but a year down the road, he just wasn't satisfied.

He had had for some time a great idea for China. It was constantly discussed and refined, but it was never the right time to take the leap.

As it happens, this year, my sister after having a child, returned to work only to find she was being put aside, and a court case ensued, they settled and it was time to move on.

The stars aligned and as my sister was a massive part of this project, he decided it was time to pull the trigger. she obliged, and the deal was struck.

My brother sold his beloved boat (which he bought 10 years ago by cashing in his pension) and bought a run down junk in Hong Kong, and spent the summer over there repairing, fixing, building etc to make it liveable, and his wife and kids moved over in September. This junk has no electricity, running water, and they basically all sleep on deck, under the stars, as it is just too hot inside, but wherever he is, and whatever the conditions, they always believe.

In the meantime, my sister has just finished the court case 2 weeks ago so is finalising the move over, and my mother thought fuck it, i'm not staying here on my own and is moving over also, to set up her own company. They will all be spending Xmas together in the Far East.

I've been abandonned.
                                                                                Last edited by shrapnel; 21-11-13, 18:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Laois Hammer View Post
                                                                                  any links or is it over?
                                                                                  This is a brilliant youtube channel. It's great to watch 'as live' too.
                                                                                  Official channel of All India Chess Federation and the FIDE World Championship 2013. Catch all the matches of Vishwanathan Anand vs Magnus Carlsen exclusively live and recorded, highlights, news and interviews.
                                                                                  Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

Originally posted by The-Rigger View Post

If that is a shot of the desk then 110% lamwood. Going by the glued on edging with the grain running the other way

Lamwood might not be the correct term and just one bandied about in the trade. But laminated ply with glued edging.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

anyhoo, my brother is a translator/travel writer/author (as yet unpublished). the first two obviously pay the rent, but he also constantly comes up with these phenomenal project ideas. He was living up in the mountains devoting his time between writing and climbing (and sailing but that's another story), but his kids were growing up, and secondary school where he was in the alps wasn't of the highest standard so it was time to move back to civilisation. They sold the house and moved to Paris, but a year down the road, he just wasn't satisfied.

He had had for some time a great idea for China. It was constantly discussed and refined, but it was never the right time to take the leap.

As it happens, this year, my sister after having a child, returned to work only to find she was being put aside, and a court case ensued, they settled and it was time to move on.

The stars aligned and as my sister was a massive part of this project, he decided it was time to pull the trigger. she obliged, and the deal was struck.

My brother sold his beloved boat (which he bought 10 years ago by cashing in his pension) and bought a run down junk in Hong Kong, and spent the summer over there repairing, fixing, building etc to make it liveable, and his wife and kids moved over in September. This junk has no electricity, running water, and they basically all sleep on deck, under the stars, as it is just too hot inside, but wherever he is, and whatever the conditions, they always believe.

In the meantime, my sister has just finished the court case 2 weeks ago so is finalising the move over, and my mother thought fuck it, i'm not staying here on my own and is moving over also, to set up her own company. They will all be spending Xmas together in the Far East.

I've been abandonned.
                                                                                      He should stick that into a screenplay, id watch it !
                                                                                      This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post

I've been abandonned.
                                                                                        Wait... is your brother married to your sister

Comment

Originally posted by tylerdurden94 View Post
                                                                                          Empire top 500 greatest (some shockers) movies of all time - I got 196 tons I haven't seen but should & tons I doubt I'll ever watch, how many have you seen??? Click HERE
                                                                                          259 for me. Kinda shocked at some of the older ones I haven't seen.
                                                                                          Gone full 'Glinner' since June 2022.

Comment

Nah, he's got the hot Italian wife.

Comment

French people

Comment

I've seen 67 of the films on that list

Comment

Originally posted by ghostface View Post
                                                                                                  That is some spoiler there Semi
                                                                                                  ugh

my bad - Sorry!!!!
                                                                                                  GAA News Website

Comment

Originally posted by CourierCollie View Post
                                                                                                    259 for me. Kinda shocked at some of the older ones I haven't seen.
                                                                                                    102 for me lol

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                      If that is a shot of the desk then 110% lamwood. Going by the glued on edging with the grain running the other way

Lamwood might not be the correct term and just one bandied about in the trade. But laminated ply with glued edging.
                                                                                                      Thanks. Lazare said it is solid oak, which does sound better on my advert.
                                                                                                      X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                      Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

10 and a half hours until 17 day weekend
                                                                                                        airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                                          10 and a half hours until 17 day weekend
                                                                                                          0 terror attacks since Ehonda came to power.

Comment

sigh my phone has rang 17 times in one hour....
                                                                                                            Her sky-ness
                                                                                                            © 5starpool

Comment

419 movies

There are 8 more that are already sitting on my server in the to be watched queue and another doen that are going on it after looking at that list.
                                                                                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Thinking this summer is the time to lose my Vegas virginity. 3 of us are up for it.
                                                                                                                Having a quick browse at hotels here for the first week in June. The Stratosphere is showing up at 301 for 7 nights for a room with 3 beds. 100 each!
                                                                                                                Anyone stayed here? I think I'm going to book this as it has free cancellation.
                                                                                                                Any reason why I shouldn't?

Comment

Blackfish one of the best documentaries this year just starting on bbc4, riveting watch

Comment

Originally posted by JohnOB View Post
                                                                                                                    Thinking this summer is the time to lose my Vegas virginity. 3 of us are up for it.
                                                                                                                    Having a quick browse at hotels here for the first week in June. The Stratosphere is showing up at 301 for 7 nights for a room with 3 beds. 100 each!
                                                                                                                    Anyone stayed here? I think I'm going to book this as it has free cancellation.
                                                                                                                    Any reason why I shouldn't?
                                                                                                                    Afaik it's one of the biggest shitholes in Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by colquhom View Post
                                                                                                                      VINDICATED.

Nah, I feel sorry for the guy.

I did make some pretty lol points given how little i know about staking.

However, my point that poker is a pretty bad way to spend your time for most people is quite clearly on the money.

If you get staked, the only real reason to do so is if you can't practice bankroll management.

You picked a profession (gambling), that gives you no discernible long term skills, is basically an addiction for most people and in which you are earning minimum wage. The fact that you don't possess one of the most integral skills to succeed at it is worthy of complete derision.

In fact, anybody who thinks backing is okay loses the argument by default when they realize that they're doing it because they're too much of a degen to manage their money properly.

Theres so much delusion in gambling, even from people who may be successful.
                                                                                                                      I personally feel that I gained a few things from my time in poker.

Bankroll management.
                                                                                                                      Respect for money which I had not had in the past.
                                                                                                                      The multi tabling ability has got to be helpful for office type jobs on a computer.
                                                                                                                      Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Originally posted by zuutroy View Post
                                                                                                                        Afaik it's one of the biggest shitholes in Vegas.
                                                                                                                        That would explain the price.

What's the best way of going about this?
                                                                                                                        A package? Or flights from skyscanner and hotel on somewhere like booking.com?

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                                                          419 movies

There are 8 more that are already sitting on my server in the to be watched queue and another doen that are going on it after looking at that list.
                                                                                                                          419/500?

Did you see them at the time when they came out in the pictures?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X