Advice on playing during a slump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on playing during a slump

I havent been playing much lately due to lack of time and also a lack of funds at times.

The problem is im running really bad lately, now i know this happens everyone, its just something that happens in poker.

Im either totally card dead all night, getting AA and KK busted, or getting hit by stupid runner runner flushes etc.

Ive become to lose patience at the table and its effecting my decisions now. So i feel im playing crap as well as running bad. I hate people who always moan aboout running bad so i intend to stay positive and look for a solution.

What is your advice on playing through a slump like this?

Im thinking just going super tight and playing really standard for a while and hope my luck changes. What would you do? Cheers

I hear that SatNav scarifies cats to the Roman god Dionysus to get over a slump....

Comment

Play more and say 'meh' alot.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
        Play more and say 'meh' alot.
        +1
        If you are playing MTTs. You will doing this 95% of the time. Seriously. All decent players are generally getting it in good. LOLVariance and all that... Chin up
        Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

Comment

I've been going through this for pretty much the year of 2012. It fucking sucks. Ultimately you have two choices - quit the game or start running better.

Things that help:

-Moving down in stakes. Beating up the little guys is fun.
          -Talking to people about hands to get a fresh perspective.
          -Taking a break and trying to come back to it with a fresh perspective
          -Moaning

Also try to be as self-aware as possible:

-Recognise when you're not thinking straight and stop playing as soon as that happens.
          -Don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of thinking you're playing perfectly and running bad, when in fact you are playing shit.
          -Conversely, recognise when you are playing fine and simply running bad, and when this genuinely happens allow yourself a good moan. You will feel better and be less likely to tilt.
          "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Keeping regging until you bink.

Keep working on your game, talk over spots with friends, post hands on forums, read articles. watch training videos.

Tournament variance is disgusting.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys.

I think my biggest problem is im not playing enough so it feels the slump will go on forever.

I think i need too study, be patient and play a bit so hopefully it will work.

good luck guys

Comment

Actually thought this said 'Advice on playing during a dump' when i first read it

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                  Actually thought this said 'Advice on playing during a dump' when i first read it
                  LOL out loud. We have all done this shirley

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post
                    Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                    LOL out loud. We have all done this shirley

Comment

Originally posted by peterswellman View Post
                      Keep working on your game, talk over spots with friends, post hands on forums, read articles. watch training videos.
                      Pretty solid advice there, and study your hand histories ...

I try to get an hour in of looking back and trying to spot leaks for every two hours or so of play ...

Time well spent imo.

Raiser

Twitter @theroyalraiser

Comment

Cut down on the amount of tables u play at once.

Think more about hands rather than just auto piloting, point 1 helps u to do this

Leave out some of the bigger buying tourneys u usually play to help lower variance

Shorten Ur sessions a bit

Make sure Ur well fed and feel fresh at the beginning of a session. Never ever start a session not feeling up for it, hungover etc.

Play a session of games u wouldn't usually play that u know u could beat without trying. Like really small stakes cash games or sngs. Helps u to brush up on the basics and restore confidence.

So important to learn how to play through bad downswings imo its the difference between the guys who have crushed and continue to crush the game from the start and the guys everyone talks about for a couple of years and then a few years later its like whatever happened to that guy.
                        We all underestimate variance and at some point have or will run worse than we ever thought imaginable. Important thing is to stay positive focus and most important honest. Easy to blame running bad when Ur on a downswing but don't kid urself. Ask urself do I still have an edge in the games I play or am I now one of those guys I've listened to for years. " I can't get a break online" "I'm running sobad" bla bla

Very rare I put this much effort into posting on this forum lol so I hope u find it somewhat helpful. Gl
                        http://www.bigmickg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Great post

Comment

Originally posted by BIGMICKG View Post
                            Cut down on the amount of tables u play at once.

Think more about hands rather than just auto piloting, point 1 helps u to do this

Leave out some of the bigger buying tourneys u usually play to help lower variance

Shorten Ur sessions a bit

Make sure Ur well fed and feel fresh at the beginning of a session. Never ever start a session not feeling up for it, hungover etc.

Play a session of games u wouldn't usually play that u know u could beat without trying. Like really small stakes cash games or sngs. Helps u to brush up on the basics and restore confidence.

So important to learn how to play through bad downswings imo its the difference between the guys who have crushed and continue to crush the game from the start and the guys everyone talks about for a couple of years and then a few years later its like whatever happened to that guy.
                            We all underestimate variance and at some point have or will run worse than we ever thought imaginable. Important thing is to stay positive focus and most important honest. Easy to blame running bad when Ur on a downswing but don't kid urself. Ask urself do I still have an edge in the games I play or am I now one of those guys I've listened to for years. " I can't get a break online" "I'm running sobad" bla bla

Very rare I put this much effort into posting on this forum lol so I hope u find it somewhat helpful. Gl
                            Thanks for the advice, i shall give it a go and hopefully things will improve,

Comment

Working...
                            X