Vegas in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegas in 2012

There's a couple of Vegas threads on IPB but not sure how outdated they are so going to post some info here and ask some questions so it can be compared down the line.

As most of you will know, myself and Gillian are getting married in September and we'll be honeymooning in Vegas. Her idea and not mine before anyone asks, so i didn't dupe her into anything! We'll also be teaming up with my best mate Fergus (ONETIME) and his missus as they are going to come along for their 5 year anniversary. We'll be doing lots of coupley stuff so it won't be a poker holiday but i'm sure the girls will let the boys out for the odd game. Not sure where to stay yet, but we won't be basing it on pokerrooms etc so open to options.

I've been to Vegas twice, but not been for a few years so probably a bit out of touch with the goings ons. I've stayed in the MGM and Monte Carlo so won't be looking at either of those as an option to stay. I still want something along the strip and we'll have to budget well because the wedding will cost a few quid so will probably have to rule out the Palazzo, Wynn and some of the other expensive hotels.

First things first, i take we all need a ESTA. Should i just apply now to get it out of the way? Is there any cost for it? I haven't read the website yet.

Has anyone signed up to Expedia.ie Cashback through Fatcheese.ie? It says cashback of 6% on Expedia Package Holidays. So if i was to book for all 4 (say the Luxor @ €838 x 4) it totals €3352 so do i get €201 back? Any catches or t+c's relating to it?

Looking to travel Monday Sept 17th to Monday 24th Sept so putting down prices here for reference. No fantastic deals jump out yet but Expedia seems to be the cheapest. All flights seem to be a stop over in Chicago with no much time inbetween so will probably increase in price when we try to see what times etc suit us best.

Orbitz.com - cheapest flight is $857 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago)
    Orbitz.com - package Flamingo $1166, Excalibur $1078, CircusCircus $1004, Ballys $1249 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago)
    Harrahs and Ballys deal includes - No Resort Fees + 2 for 1 Shows, Shopping Discounts

Expedia.ie - cheapest flight is €672 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago), €724 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (London)
    Expedia.ie - package Excalibur €795, Luxor €838, Imperial Palace €857, Circus Circus €769 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago)

Kayak.com - cheapest flight is $847 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago)

Cheaptickets.com - Same as Orbitz for tickets, packages are $10-$15 cheaper

ebookers.ie - cheapest flight is €677 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago)
    ebookers.ie - package New York New York €951, Vdara €973, Luxor €849, Excalibur €836 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (London)

skyscanner.ie - cheapest flight is €661 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago)

BA.com - cheapest flight is €659 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago), €340 extra EACH to travel Dublin > London > Vegas and back

Haven't looked at prices for hotels only just yet so have all the above sites to try, plus the hotels individual website plus these sites bookmarked to look at.

booking.com
    agoda.com
    octopus.com
    olotels.com
    ratestogo.com

Should we go and book the better rooms in the hotel, or should we just book normal rooms and when we turn up and do the $20 trick aswel as saying we're on our honeymoon (will have proof) to hopefully get a comp upgrade? Might seem like the cheap/tight option, but it seems to work for everyone else! Similar to flights, is there any harm in ringing up the airline spouting about being on our honeymoon to see if there's any wiggle room?

Oh, and what's the weather like in Vegas in September?

Any other info/sites/links that might come in useful?

Think ESTA is possibly €15.

Would you consider multi city travel when your that far why not try San Fran ?
    Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Was in Vegas twice during September Tony and its 30+ degrees.... Just savage heat. But not as crazy as July can be. Hotter the better imo.
      NextStopWhoKnows

Comment

Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
        Think ESTA is possibly €15.

Would you consider multi city travel when your that far why not try San Fran ?
        Think we'd prefer to just get there and unpack and be done with it. Gillian has never been in Vegas and just wants to spend the week there relaxing and doing bits and pieces so if we have to make a stop over, we'll try and get one where we won't be hanging around for too long tbh.

Originally posted by Four of a Kind View Post
        Was in Vegas twice during September Tony and its 30+ degrees.... Just savage heat. But not as crazy as July can be. Hotter the better imo.
        Cheers Carlo. Was there in July last time and it was torturous but wasn't sure if it gets a bit milder once it hits 7 or 8pm

Comment

Yeah ive been to Vegas twice in September and its pretty hot.

Try touramerica.ie, have never used it but a couple of friends used it for a trip to Vegas before and worked out pretty cheap (says theres a Vegas flight sale from €428 at the moment...check it out)

The last time i was there i stayed in the MGM but i rang the hotel directly for my accomodation, worked out at $300 each for 10 nights($900 total)...try this way u might save a few bob

Comment

Would reccommend Mandalay Bay for couples.The beach/pool is one of the best in Vegas.Shit for poker and a bit further down the strip though.

SPOILER

Excalibur is old but still the best option imo if value is important.
            Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Originally posted by BigPoppa View Post
              Yeah ive been to Vegas twice in September and its pretty hot.

Try touramerica.ie, have never used it but a couple of friends used it for a trip to Vegas before and worked out pretty cheap (says theres a Vegas flight sale from €428 at the moment...check it out)

The last time i was there i stayed in the MGM but i rang the hotel directly for my accomodation, worked out at $300 each for 10 nights($900 total)...try this way u might save a few bob
              Cheers for that. Tried to do a search and it's just been hanging for the last 10 minutes so will take a look again in the morn. That's a pretty good price for the MGM but want to try somewhere different. Defo going to contact each hotel individually aswel tho before i book anything.

Originally posted by Icarus152 View Post
              Would reccommend Mandalay Bay for couples.The beach/pool is one of the best in Vegas.Shit for poker and a bit further down the strip though.

SPOILER

Excalibur is old but still the best option imo if value is important.
              Yeah i like the look of the Mandalay alright but didn't manage to find a good deal. Not 100% sure of the budget yet so was just giving myself a rough guide. Cheers for that

Comment

Originally posted by Flushdraw View Post

As most of you will know, myself and Gillian are getting married in September and we'll be honeymooning in Vegas.
                Wishing you and Gillian all the best. gl

Comment

Yeah i like the look of the Mandalay alright but didn't manage to find a good deal. Not 100% sure of the budget yet so was just giving myself a rough guide. Cheers for that
                  Crazy booking hotels so early imo.

Whilst its good to have one booked for peace of mind, you should definitely do it in such a way as you have an option to cancel late on at no penalty. The prices get so much cheaper near the date. Both our trips our final booking was done ~7ish days beforehand having cancelled the original booking, once the cancellation & rebooking was for the same hotel (treasure island) in the same phone call saving near 30% with no problem.

Comment

Have no experience of fatcheese.ie, but have used uk equivalent, quidco for a few years now and it works a treat, takes months but definitely a nice bonus when it arrives. The cookie has to be tracked that you came from them as a referrer though, so when you are booking i would use a different browser to book than the one you are doing your research and last minute checks on. Never had any issues since i started doing it this way.

The twenty dollar thing definitely worth a try, I have got sweet upgrades each time. If you are pleasant and have a bit of the craic with the checkin folk they might bung you some spa/buffet passes on request as well.
                    Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                    https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

I've stayed twice in Ballys and find it excellent value compared to MGM or Caesars or Paris (stayed there once).

Depends what you're looking for. I only wanted a bed to put my head on at night, spent very little time in it but the rooms are excellent although getting a little dated. Paris was way more expensive but stayed there when the wife was with me & it is better quality but all the hotels on the strip are good quality.

Did find the old fashioned Air Con noisy at night but left it on all day so room was cool enough to switch off at night.

Also used the $20 in the passport & was told I was getting a better room on both occasions, although the first time the hotel was very full.

I like Bally's as it couldn't be more central to everything, directly opposite Bellagio and there is a metro station there as well.

If Gillian is shopping the shops on the strip are expensive, go to the retail outlets which can be super value.

Comment

Without knowing your budget, here's a few things to consider:

I don't know if you have seen any of the shows, but I deffo think they are worth budgeting for. Ka (in MGM) is the best imo, with O (in Bellagio) closely behind. I really think Gillian would enjoy these as they're nothing like what you'll see at home.

There's a helicopter tour from the strip to the Grand Canyon. They pick you up from your hotel, bring you to the heli pad at the end of the strip & whisk you off from there. Very good experience, & Rob who's not into unstable flying objects actually really enjoyed the whole thing & wasn't nervous at all in the end. He actually had this planned for the day he proposed to me, deffo the best day I've ever had in Vegas anyway.

Shopping, assuming she's into that obv. Shops at Caesars are worth checking out, they're something to see if nothing else. Whilst a lot of the shops in there are pricey, you'll find the likes of 'Guess' are a lot cheaper than you would find at home. There's an Outlet Shopping place near the airport which is also worth a visit, deffo the place to get presents for the kids.

For restaurants, my favourite is Neros in Caesars. Does really awesome steak & it's not as pricey a lot of the fancy places. In saying that I think a steak is about $50 in there which is more than you'll pay in a lot of places yet a lot less than the fancy ones.

Obv the hotels themselves make nice little trips, especially for someone who hasn't been there before. Venetian canals, Bellagio fountains etc also a must.

We stayed in Ballys one year. It is a handy location & on the whole the hotel is grand. Their dealers had a few unethical issues on the poker front, letting the big stacks cheat effectively, but other than that the hotel was more than adequate. Most of the places you'll be wanting to visit are within walking distance from here too. Might also be worth looking at Planet Hollywood. Nice modern place, also well located, not 100% on pricing though.
                        . .

Comment

Also, you might want to look at www.hotwire.com
                          I hear they're particularly good for US holidays. A friend of mine uses them all the time.

Once thing she does, is even though she has no intention of booking flights through them usually, she runs the search simultaneously in 2 different tabs, one with flights, one without flights. The one without flights keeps the hotel names hidden whereas the one with flights reveals the actual hotel the package is with. As the descriptions are the same for each hotel on both searches, she's able to determine which hotel they are talking about.

I've never used them myself though.
                          . .

Comment

Thanks everyone so far for all the replies. I thought Vegas would be a good venue for the honeymoon since it will prob be the last holiday in a long time with no kids and I really don't want to take kids to Vegas with me. Tony was surprised at my choice at first but really chuffed

As for helicopter rides. Tony had said to me about them. As much as I would like to, I am shit scared of flying and the fact when I was in Alaska 12 years ago and two helicopters crashed while I was there (Into the glaciers) which put me off big time! I have medication to get me on the flights to Vegas but would rather not be all drugged up to go on a helicopter ride where being alert is a must.

I do plan on getting a bit of shopping done, but I am not a big shopping fan. I would like to go to an outlet place and try REALLY hard to not bring kids clothes back! It is a long time since I just spent money on myself lol.

I don't want to leave it too late to book as there are two couples involved and we want to be in the same hotel. Plus it's not just a holiday for us and don't want any disasters.

I am very fair skinned and lounging about a pool wont be the type of holiday I am after. I would like to have a pool though as like to swim.

Had to LOL at Tony saying he hopes the girls let the boys out for a game of poker! I have already arranged it that Fergus's missus plays the slots so I can get a game in as well! you would think I didn't play myself

My question on people who have went there recently is about the dress code. What sort of things are you expected to wear? like dining at the hotel etc. Is it very dressy around Vegas? I have seen so many clips of Vegas and the woman all seem to be very glam looking and I don't want to be there dressed down and feeling out of place.

Really looking forward to this trip, spent yesterday looking at packages and looking at all the hotels there. Will be good to have another couple with us as well to do things like shows and trips.

Roll on September

Comment

Originally posted by one ill cat View Post
                              Also, you might want to look at www.hotwire.com
                              I hear they're particularly good for US holidays. A friend of mine uses them all the time.

Once thing she does, is even though she has no intention of booking flights through them usually, she runs the search simultaneously in 2 different tabs, one with flights, one without flights. The one without flights keeps the hotel names hidden whereas the one with flights reveals the actual hotel the package is with. As the descriptions are the same for each hotel on both searches, she's able to determine which hotel they are talking about.

I've never used them myself though.
                              Cat, I had a look at that there and never saw an option for a flight as well? just get the secret hotel thing. Is there a sister site for hotwire with flights or am I just missing something?

Comment

These are 2 retail outlets. I shopped in the North, some great value to be got

Comment

Re shows - one of the best I've ever seen in Vegas (and I've seen more than a dozen); actually, scratch that, definitely the best show I've seen in Vegas is Absinthe, which is in a spiegeltent in front of Caesars. The ticket prices are really reasonable compared to the other 'bigger' Vegas shows, and in this show's case the smaller venue is a huge positive. My GF and I plan to go to see this again the next time we hit Vegas, and should it be there in years to come, I'm sure we'll go again and again: http://www.absinthevegas.com/.

I'd also recommend Peep Show in Planet Hollywood as a good couples experience - the audience is mainly women, who go crazy for all the big outfits and dance routines, but there is also a good lot of toplessness, so both sexes have something to be happy about! Everyone should leave happy...

I wouldn't do the helicopter ride if I was any more than a little nervous - it's awesome but you're in the helicopter for a good long time (long enough that I feel asleep for the entire journey back from the Grand Canyon anyhow!) and obviously helicopters move about a bit more in the air than planes, which can be a little disconcerting I think.

There are so many awesome restaurants, very jealous of your trip for that reason, loads of great choices, both at the highest end of the market down to cool places for tasty quick bites. There is a gourmet burger place in the Mirage (just inside the southernmost entrance off the Strip) called BLT, I usually eat there at least twice per trip, it's that good, very reasonable too. Also, CUT in the Palazzo did an awesome $75 three-course tasting menu last summer, defo worth checking out if they're still offering this, an affordable way to enjoy one of the better steakhouses on the Strip.

With regard dressing up or down, in my experience it is worth taking a few nice outfits for your nights out, people do glam themselves up to the nines on Fridays, Saturdays or any nights where they are heading out on the town! I also noticed that many people staying / playing in the Wynn wander around in fairly formal gear during the evening, even if they are just drinking in a bar there or playing tables games - you'd look seriously out of place in t-shirts and shorts, was glad I decided to wear a shirt when going for a drink there! I'm sure the amount of high-class escorts in town and wandering around the nicer casinos also drive up the glam ratio; always a fun game to play checking out the old sleazebags with 20-year old Eastern European-looking blondes on their arms!

Comment

Who was it that had kinda a gastro holiday there and did a TR on the tasting menus?
                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                      Who was it that had kinda a gastro holiday there and did a TR on the tasting menus?
                                      This.

Comment

I think Treasure Island is a good hotel choice. At the right end of the strip, very nice hotel and often send out very, very good offers if you sign up to their guestbook.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                          Dont know how I missed that TR. Fantastic read. Absolutely starving after it

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                            As for helicopter rides. Tony had said to me about them. As much as I would like to, I am shit scared of flying and the fact when I was in Alaska 12 years ago and two helicopters crashed while I was there (Into the glaciers) which put me off big time! I have medication to get me on the flights to Vegas but would rather not be all drugged up to go on a helicopter ride where being alert is a must.

I do plan on getting a bit of shopping done, but I am not a big shopping fan. I would like to go to an outlet place and try REALLY hard to not bring kids clothes back! It is a long time since I just spent money on myself lol.
                                            )
                                            Dont blame you on the helicopter trip the Gf wanted to but i wouldnt. There was a crash about 3 weeks after we came back of a helicopter heading to the grand canyon. It makes me happy with my choice.

On the shopping front i pretty much gave a huge outline of shopping on my trip report. To sum it up id say go to the outlet near the airport its the better of the two. Although there is some bargains in Caesars and the fashion show mall.

Keep an eye on groupon every so often there should without doubt be something that pops up of interest.

Save on local Las Vegas, NV restaurants, shopping, events & more. Find great deals on the best activities & things to do. Download the Groupon App today.
                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

The Rigger, CHD and I are planning a Wolfpack trip to Vegas in September. Let us know what flights/hotel you get and we'll try and get the same. We'll do our best to make your honeymoon even better.

Comment

Looking to travel Monday Sept 17th to Monday 24th Sept so putting down prices here for reference. No fantastic deals jump out yet but Expedia seems to be the cheapest. All flights seem to be a stop over in Chicago with no much time inbetween so will probably increase in price when we try to see what times etc suit us best.

Expedia.ie - cheapest flight is €672 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago), €724 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (London)
                                                Expedia.ie - package Excalibur €795, Luxor €838, Imperial Palace €857, Circus Circus €769 per person from Dublin > Vegas with 1 stop (Chicago)
                                                1) ESTA - it costs 14 or 15 euro and lasts for two years. Once you don't forget it buy it before you go, I would wait, because if you buy it today for eg, Jan 12, it'll run out in Jan '14, whereas if you wait until Aug 12, then it would be still live and not costing you any more if you wanted to go again in say Summer '14.

2) Expedia - I just did the same search you did [without logging in to my expedia account, so that I would get the same 'non-members' rate] - and i came up with the same packages but at lower prices -
                                                Excalibur now €704 [795 above], Luxor €745 [€838 above], Imperial now €741 [857 above], Circus Circus now €693 [€769 above].

As you can see, in just a couple of days the prices have changed by an appreciable amount.

3). Other thing you should note when you look at all the prices you put up, is that a package is in most cases much better value than booking a flight and hotel separately. The reason this is the case is that Affiliates only get 2 to 5% commission on flights, but get over 10% usually on hotels - therefore when you book both with them they can 'spread' the commission to give you a better price in total.

The above is 'helpful' in so far as that you can see how much prices change in a short price, but there is no guarantee in relation to where those prices will have gone by next week.

Normally I would advise waiting as long as possible [ie until up to maybe 30 days pre travel], and take the risk that prices may go up by the time you want to go, however, it is different for you two as this is your honeymoon and I assume you 'must' get there on those dates. Accordingly, you might consider deciding on a price level you would be happy with and booking some time up to three of four months in advance or whenever prices hit that level.

Comment

Other thing I meant to say was that the biggest component in flight prices is Oil. The next six months look like being 'uncertain' on the Oil front for two reasons - first the Iran Versus Europe position, and second the US Presidential Election [markets hate uncertainty, until they're convinced Obama gets a second term, this is a factor].

The Iran thing is supposed to come to a head by July when we'll officially not be taking any more of their oil [but that could change or be extended obviously], and it wouldn't be a surprise if there were a couple of months up to and including the Summer where there was higher than normal volatility in both Oil prices and dollar exchange rates [the latter being part of the reason the prices I quoted in the above post have changed over the last 4 days].

If it were me, and I were reasonbly happy with a price I could find now, I would think 'its my honeymoon and I dont care if it might be 100 euro cheaper by June' - in other words, I'd be prepared to lose out on future price drops in order to 'lock in' a price I were happy with and not have to worry about oil or dollar movements or whatever.

Comment

Folks,

I am sure that those that are way younger than me and much more computer savvy have quick search mechanisms, but for flights www.momondo.com compares most of the comparison sites, as well as directly with airlines, and it has never failed to show the best flight value for the trip I go each year.

I lost the roll of the dice this year as I am going in 10 days and still haven't booked but flights gone up over $200 in two days. It was the opposite last year each day momondo still had the best value.

I haven't stayed in a while but Harrah's is central to everything and has great bars, and is not often looked at in terms of hotel names but has some great deals at times.

Regarding flights the layover times are the most important element of the trip. A flight maybe cheaper but after spending 4-6 hours on a layover your airport spend will most likely be greater than the saving in the flight. For example I could have booked flight for €416 for next week but an 8 hour layover so a flight for 454 with 2 hour is much more attractive etc.

Each to their own, but on the way out aer lingus to manchester, virgin direct is the best way to travel for on average €100 more expensive. US Airways will nearly always be cheaper but has no inflight movies etc for the us side of trip which is 6 hours from Phil.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Comment

Couple of things to bear in mind:

- A lot of the hotels you mentioned above on the package deal are pretty low end and not where u wanna be. An exception to that is the Vdara City Centre. It is across the road from the Aria, it is a spa hotel (no casino) and while i have not stayed there it does look like a great option for couples..

- The Aria itself would be a great option imo. Stayed there twice and loved it both times. Great poker action as well. Subject to availability they do a $99 per night mid week and $129 per night weekends if you play 5 hrs cash per day or one tourney. The std rooms in the aria are fantastic, that said I do know of someone who asked for an upgrade on honeymoon and was looked after. Kathleen Paculan sorts out poker reservations and she is v helpful. Phone: 702.590.7232 Email: kpaculan@arialasvegas.com

- Regarding the honeymoon upgrade two things to bear in mind. Don't combine it with the $20 trick. It gives the impression you are using any reason to get an upgrade. If it is doable the honeymoon should be enough to get you over the line. Do contact the hotel after making your reservation and make them aware you are on honeymoon. Most hotels will try to take care of you. Also - make the hotel reservation for you both separate to your mates. Hotels hear the honeymoon couple thing all the time so don't give them any reason to doubt you.

- Re dress codes it really does depend on where u wanna go. When it comes to good restaurants smart casual will work anywhere but the most formal. Apart from the only reason to dress up is if u fancy getting into the bigger clubs/nightclubs...0

Oh yeah - the weather in September is fantastic!

Comment

Hi Flushdraw, we've been to Vegas twice and are going again in March. Stayed in The Bellagio and The Encore, obv both were fantastic but dear needless to say. We are trying to do it a bit cheaper this time and got a great deal through travelpath.ie. We are staying in Planet Hollywood which you can't beat for location, crap for poker but is beside that mile long mall. We got our week and flights for E1,500. We only go to play poker and I don't like shopping so can't advise you on anything else, but will let you know how we find Planet Hollywood when I get home!!

Comment

Originally posted by markc View Post
                                                          Couple of things to bear in mind:

- A lot of the hotels you mentioned above on the package deal are pretty low end and not where u wanna be. An exception to that is the Vdara City Centre. It is across the road from the Aria, it is a spa hotel (no casino) and while i have not stayed there it does look like a great option for couples..

- The Aria itself would be a great option imo. Stayed there twice and loved it both times. Great poker action as well. Subject to availability they do a $99 per night mid week and $129 per night weekends if you play 5 hrs cash per day or one tourney. The std rooms in the aria are fantastic, that said I do know of someone who asked for an upgrade on honeymoon and was looked after. Kathleen Paculan sorts out poker reservations and she is v helpful. Phone: 702.590.7232 Email: kpaculan@arialasvegas.com

- Regarding the honeymoon upgrade two things to bear in mind. Don't combine it with the $20 trick. It gives the impression you are using any reason to get an upgrade. If it is doable the honeymoon should be enough to get you over the line. Do contact the hotel after making your reservation and make them aware you are on honeymoon. Most hotels will try to take care of you. Also - make the hotel reservation for you both separate to your mates. Hotels hear the honeymoon couple thing all the time so don't give them any reason to doubt you.

- Re dress codes it really does depend on where u wanna go. When it comes to good restaurants smart casual will work anywhere but the most formal. Apart from the only reason to dress up is if u fancy getting into the bigger clubs/nightclubs...0

Oh yeah - the weather in September is fantastic!
                                                          Thanks for all that. TBH there WONT be enough poker played to enable any discount. I wont allow that anyway or it will be a divorce party once we get back!

I will let Tony deal with the rest

Comment

Hi Tony and Gillian,

Have you check out Plant Hollywood? Its usually cheap and right across the road from the Belligo. We normally stay there and the rooms are old style so normally very big. The new Tower is newer, so I'm not sure about that. As per location I think its brilliant and has a small poker room and is only 5-10 minute walk to most places on the strip. Have stayed here the last 2 times and would be my first choice on a average budget.

I would leave it late to book rooms unless you get a great deal, has prices mostly come down the month before etc.

As per flights I would book the best prices asap. It should costs around 600 per person, so anything around that price is good deal.

American Holidays seem to be offering great packages, but the hotels are crap.

As for eating out and taking in shows its the best place in the world for both, all levels of pricing available. David Copperfield was there the last time I was over in the MGM and it was well worth the money. You can get a free local paper over there that lists all the best shows etc, there is a ticket shop on the strip that sells tickets on the day for shows that night below full retail price. If you want the likes of Celion Dion etc, then book ahead. Asks the locals and they'll tell you whats hot.

Dress code is smart, not over the top unless you're doing the up market night scene. Men always seem to be in jeans and shirts/t-shirts and women dress/skirts. But its generally relax.

Shopping is great, some great discount malls within a short drive, most shops on strip are to expensive but worth seeing.

Also watch the dollar rate, its back up to 1.29 if it gets back to 1.35 I would buy has I can't see it going any higher for a long time, hence we cancel Disney World this year as 20% makes all the difference in spending power over there.

Last time I was over compare to earlier trips Vegas seem to have got more expensive and more of a drinking city, a week isn't going to be cheap. We usually hire a jeep for a few days and drive out to the Dam, Area 52, Death Valley etc. You can drive to the Canyon and maybe stay a night out there. I remember reading about doing a ranch day out at the Canyon which involved camping out overnight with horse etc, sounds great to me.

September is perfect weather.

Enjoy and good luck with the big day,

Ollie

Comment

Cool thread

Booked Harrah's myself, me and 2 mates. Just going for cheap and decently located. I was there before and Harrah's seems better location than the MGM.
                                                              Going 27th Feb-- 5th March. Cost 602 Euro all in.

Gonna have to check some shows out this time, I was there 2 weeks last time and seen nothing, didn't even get to see the wynn
                                                              Last edited by billstraightener; 01-02-12, 20:13.

Comment

ballys -north tower rooms are pretty good -large room for the price

staff easily upgrade you
                                                                centre strip -close to bellagio ,caesars ,PH
                                                                nice little poker room -with super soft 1/2 300 max game

also monorail stop in ballys

Comment

Agree with Mark..... The virgin flight is fantastic with lots to do on the plane.. (games consoles, movies etc etc) and they have packages that include Planet Hollywood (a near perfect location)......

gl

edit: def not Circus Circus (dump) or MGM (for me, too far from the main strip)
                                                                  Last edited by westlife; 01-02-12, 03:09.
                                                                  D15 CASINO, Mulhuddart Village (opp Blanchardstown shopping centre)

Comment

Anything going on in May? I think I'm going to be there then
                                                                    Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                      Anything going on in May? I think I'm going to be there then
                                                                      Yep,stag night mid may.
                                                                      Official Head Marshall of Waterford Gay Pride Festival 2015

Comment

Im sure ye will have a great time. Last time I was there, we went to a resteraunt called Smith and Wallenskis on a recommendation fron Steve Davis. Its not cheap, but I would have to say it was one of the best meals out that Ive had.

If you were to come out of the MGM and start to walk down the strip, its only approx 100 metres from the MGM.

Comment

Thank you momondo.

Just booked tonight. €419 to Las Vegas through phil with no layover longer than 2 hours. Going next tuesday back saturday. Rio hotel $163 including resort fees for the 4 nights. Only has one weekend day so just ok. Keep looking Tony something always turns up.

I don't know how tied into dates you are but getting out of vegas on a sunday or monday is the most expensive time to fly. If you could change at all travel in on a saturday and leave on a saturday. If I had of had my ESTA completed on time the same deal above could be booked today leaving this saturday.

Rio is only ok and off the strip. I have no interest in tourist etc so doesn't botter me, but it is best to stay on strip on first visit etc. Harrah's is part of the same group and only $50 more expensive for the above trip as a guide.

I know it has been mentioned already, and I am sure with cost being an issue, but if at all possible try and go to San Fran as well as las vegas. 3 days in one and 4 days in another would be ideal. Vegas is a long time as a couple for 7 days.

Hope you enjoy the honeymoon.

Regards,

Mark M

Comment

419e is a great price, are you going late in the year?
                                                                            X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                            Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

#39
                                                                              No. Next Tuesday.

Comment

#40
                                                                                Originally posted by Redundant Pal View Post

I don't know how tied into dates you are but getting out of vegas on a sunday or monday is the most expensive time to fly. If you could change at all travel in on a saturday and leave on a saturday. If I had of had my ESTA completed on time the same deal above could be booked today leaving this saturday.
                                                                                One thing we can't shift much on is the dates. We get married on the Saturday so Monday is our best option as we have to get from Donegal to Dublin/Belfast. Since we have the 3 kids we can't just disappear quick.

Comment

#41
                                                                                  Originally posted by connie147 View Post
                                                                                  Im sure ye will have a great time. Last time I was there, we went to a resteraunt called Smith and Wallenskis on a recommendation fron Steve Davis. Its not cheap, but I would have to say it was one of the best meals out that Ive had.

If you were to come out of the MGM and start to walk down the strip, its only approx 100 metres from the MGM.

I had a steak there and it was unreal. Highly recommend it aswell. One thing I remember is the steak knives were like spears, defo 3 inches longer than the forks.

Comment

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by Hurricane Fly View Post
                                                                                    I had a steak there and it was unreal. Highly recommend it aswell. One thing I remember is the steak knives were like spears, defo 3 inches longer than the forks.

That's not a knife.

^^^
                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

#43
                                                                                      No flights coming in cheaper than €800 per person at the moment and package deals gone over the €1k mark. Hoping it takes a turn for the better soon!

Comment

#44
                                                                                        No flights coming in cheaper than €800 per person at the moment and package deals gone over the €1k mark. Hoping it takes a turn for the better soon!
                                                                                        When are you thinking of going? The last couple of weeks in November seem pretty cheap on ebookers.ie

EDIT: Don't mind me, just realised it's in the OP.

Comment

#45
                                                                                          Originally posted by Raheny Red View Post
                                                                                          When are you thinking of going? The last couple of weeks seem pretty cheap on ebookers.ie
                                                                                          Going the middle of September

Comment

#46
                                                                                            €591 London - Las Vegas on them dates you gave me to test im guessing thats not the dates you want tho. Not sure how cheap you could get to London and its not direct so probably not worth the €200 saving.
                                                                                            Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

#47
                                                                                              ONETIME on the FT in the Fitz here for the Vegas fund

Comment

#48
                                                                                                What's the best way to avoid big layovers in New York? Any dates I try the travel time is a minimum of 20 hours which seems like lots. Also if I'm looking to go in mid June, flights are hardly going to get cheaper at any point now are they? Looking at €950, that about right? Seems alot...

Comment

#49
                                                                                                  Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                  ONETIME on the FT in the Fitz here for the Vegas fund
                                                                                                  Onetime and all that

Comment

#50
                                                                                                    Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                                                                                    What's the best way to avoid big layovers in New York? Any dates I try the travel time is a minimum of 20 hours which seems like lots. Also if I'm looking to go in mid June, flights are hardly going to get cheaper at any point now are they? Looking at €950, that about right? Seems alot...
                                                                                                    Via London with either BA or Virgin Atlantic is the only way to avoid those massive stop overs right now from what I seen. Booked mine a few weeks ago with BA (aer lingus to london) taking that route, can't remember exact price but think it was round the €750-800 mark. Avoiding the long stopover is well worth the extra bit of money IMO.
                                                                                                    They will be like WTF how does he always have the top of his range, and they will be saying that when you show up with like nine's - Jimmy Fricke
                                                                                                    Nine's are the top of my range - Shaun Deeb

Comment

#51
                                                                                                      Originally posted by Lplated View Post
                                                                                                      2) Expedia - I just did the same search you did [without logging in to my expedia account, so that I would get the same 'non-members' rate] - and i came up with the same packages but at lower prices -
                                                                                                      Excalibur now €704 [795 above], Luxor €745 [€838 above], Imperial now €741 [857 above], Circus Circus now €693 [€769 above].
                                                                                                      All package prizes gone way up now so going to look at flights soon and maybe just wait on a hotel price to drop as we get closer. We'll definetly not get stuck so just thinking that if flights keep going up, they could go through the roof so might get them out of the way.

Has anyone ever stayed in a villa in Vegas? Looking at that possibility as there are 4 of us so might work out a good option for 7 days. Would need to be in walking distance from the strip because don't fancy constantly getting buses or taxi's and we don't all have a license. Also wouldn't want to have a situation where we all have to come and go at the same time. Any places in walking distance from the strip or that people recommend?

Going to trawl through a ton of sites that might have savings or coupons off bookings in hotels and see if i can get one that i'd fancy. We're booking for 4, and at the moment the top hotels in Vegas are coming in a little over budget

Wynn
                                                                                                      Venetian
                                                                                                      Palazzo
                                                                                                      Aria
                                                                                                      Bellagio
                                                                                                      Vdara
                                                                                                      Cosmopolitan
                                                                                                      Caesars
                                                                                                      Mirage
                                                                                                      THEHotel atMandalay Bay
                                                                                                      Four Seasons
                                                                                                      Planet Hollywood

The best of the rest close or inside of budget so might just go for that option and hopefully with a comp upgrade it will work out well. Don't want to stay in the MGM or MonteCarlo because i've stayed there before so looking at

Paris
                                                                                                      Flamingo
                                                                                                      Excalibur
                                                                                                      Luxor
                                                                                                      Ballys
                                                                                                      Harrahs
                                                                                                      Mandalay Bay
                                                                                                      New York New York

kakak, Cat, Reilly gave shout outs for Ballys, and Icky for Mandalay Bay so Ballys leading the chase at the moment. Read some bad things about Treasure Island and Imperial Palace so avoiding them.

Comment

#52
                                                                                                        All package prizes gone way up now so going to look at flights soon and maybe just wait on a hotel price to drop as we get closer. We'll definetly not get stuck so just thinking that if flights keep going up, they could go through the roof so might get them out of the way.

Has anyone ever stayed in a villa in Vegas? Looking at that possibility as there are 4 of us so might work out a good option for 7 days. Would need to be in walking distance from the strip because don't fancy constantly getting buses or taxi's and we don't all have a license. Also wouldn't want to have a situation where we all have to come and go at the same time. Any places in walking distance from the strip or that people recommend?

Going to trawl through a ton of sites that might have savings or coupons off bookings in hotels and see if i can get one that i'd fancy. We're booking for 4, and at the moment the top hotels in Vegas are coming in a little over budget

Wynn
                                                                                                        Venetian
                                                                                                        Palazzo
                                                                                                        Aria
                                                                                                        Bellagio
                                                                                                        Vdara
                                                                                                        Cosmopolitan
                                                                                                        Caesars
                                                                                                        Mirage
                                                                                                        THEHotel atMandalay Bay
                                                                                                        Four Seasons
                                                                                                        Planet Hollywood

The best of the rest close or inside of budget so might just go for that option and hopefully with a comp upgrade it will work out well. Don't want to stay in the MGM or MonteCarlo because i've stayed there before so looking at

Paris
                                                                                                        Flamingo
                                                                                                        Excalibur
                                                                                                        Luxor
                                                                                                        Ballys
                                                                                                        Harrahs
                                                                                                        Mandalay Bay
                                                                                                        New York New York

kakak, Cat, Reilly gave shout outs for Ballys, and Icky for Mandalay Bay so Ballys leading the chase at the moment. Read some bad things about Treasure Island and Imperial Palace so avoiding them.
                                                                                                        pm sent

Comment

#53
                                                                                                          I thought TI would have been a decent choice but i never had to do any research on it. I just know i love the location cant speak for the rooms.
                                                                                                          Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

#54
                                                                                                            Paris would be the pick of the second list, great location and excellent chance of a room upgrade to view of the fountains
                                                                                                            Low fee Euro/UK money transfer, 1st transfer free through my referral
                                                                                                            https://transferwise.com/u/bfa0e

Comment

#55
                                                                                                              Originally posted by tipp86 View Post
                                                                                                              Dont blame you on the helicopter trip the Gf wanted to but i wouldnt. There was a crash about 3 weeks after we came back of a helicopter heading to the grand canyon. It makes me happy with my choice.

On the shopping front i pretty much gave a huge outline of shopping on my trip report. To sum it up id say go to the outlet near the airport its the better of the two. Although there is some bargains in Caesars and the fashion show mall.

Keep an eye on groupon every so often there should without doubt be something that pops up of interest.

http://www.groupon.com/las-vegas/?dl=d47388
                                                                                                              All this vegas talk is making me jealous. Still have never been. Had the chance 7 years ago but turned it down over going to Utah (long story), alas this was a few months before I started playing poker. A decision I have regretted ever since. Ah well, hope you guys have fun over there and I will be back to start a similar thread asking for advice once I finally decide to go myself....
                                                                                                              Last edited by Mormank; 20-04-12, 18:46.

Comment

#56
                                                                                                                Luxor was pretty nice time i was there, really couldnt say anything bad about it while it wasnt the best place ever it more than met my standards
                                                                                                                airport, lol

Comment

#57
                                                                                                                  I'd give serious thought to the Tropicana. Newly refurbished, on the strip but not hectic and cheap enough. The pool was great. 2 24hr outdoor jacuzzi. They pump a tropical coconut smell throughout the place but I loved it.

Right across from the MGM and Excalibur but a bit of a walk to ballys/paris etc. Didn't really eat in the place but from what I seen looked pretty nice. Think I got it for 350/400 for 2 weeks. But could be a bit off. They also have a resort fee 9.99 a day a room. You get free calls blah blah blah.

Comment

#58
                                                                                                                    Posted this in the BBV. Half tempted to stretch the budget for this...

Has anyone ever used bookit.com to book holidays/packages? Been checking every website under the sun looking at Vegas deals, and this one is just madness. I've been looking at flights and the cheapest flight is over $1k per person, and we increased our budget to about $500 per person for accom.

Found a deal for flights and accom for a week in The Venetian Bella Suite or Luxury Suite for $1699 per person. If you book the Bella/Luxury Suite through their website, it comes in over $2100 per person, but these have it for $1699 incl. flights?

Any opinions?

SPOILER

Comment

#59
                                                                                                                      givne "I've been looking at flights and the cheapest flight is over $1k per person, and we increased our budget to about $500 per person for accom."

pretty clearly spring for the Venetian suite for your honeymoon imo!

Comment

#60
                                                                                                                        I love the Location aswell. Its a pretty amazing hotel to go with that.
                                                                                                                        Pm for rakeback deals

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X