Prem and CL prediction comp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prem and CL prediction comp?

Really enjoyed the world cup prediction comp, a little bit of studying and reading up on games before kick off definately added to the enjoyment of a pretty poor tournament.

Anyway, figure we may as well run a premiership and champions league effort.
    The premiership will obviously require a litte more effort but should be interesting.

What do you think the buyins should be, I was thinking $20 for each?
    Any other considerations?

All thoughts welcome please and i'll get this up and running!

Edit: For those who haven't played before it's basically predicting scores for each match.
    Last edited by dannydiamond; 15-07-10, 11:23.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act, but a habit.

Inski for both anyway.

Thoughts.
    Maybe split the Prem league into 2 competitions, all games up to 31/12 for the first competion and then start another one on Jan 1st.

Examine what we can do about extra times/penalties (only an issue in the latter stages of the champions league competition).

Is the 4-2-1 scoring system good? I think Rigger spotted a flaw whereby anyone who blindly backed 1-1 in all the Group games of the World Cup would have been top after the group stages. I don't know if that was fluke or something that would always happen. Maybe 3-2-1 system would counter it.

Comment

I thought the 4 2 1 scoring system was good.
      Backing 1-1 draws in the group stages has been profitable in most worldcups and euros anyway I think, it's just the nature of those games.

I don't know if there's anything that can be done about the extra time and penalties, and I presume a mod can set the scoring, i'll give them a shout and find out.

Regarding splitting the prem, i'm happy to go along with whatever everyone wants to do.

Good points AJ.

Comment

I can set the scoring as regards the 4-2-1 split to what we want, but I don't think I can change the way it works when it goes to penalties, etc. I must also see about importing the info for the new season, as I think I might have to do that manually.

I'll be in for this anyhow. I might be able to change the scores in the database manually in the case of penalties, etc, if we decide that all games are over 90 mins, which I personally think all games should be. This might make the leaderboard correct itself anyhow.

Comment

Cheers Dom. Yeah agree that the scores should be just for the 90 mins. If you're allowed to chance the scores manually that'd be great.

Comment

I think there should be more for binking a correct score.

I'd say 6-2-1 would be a better system. Gives everybody a chance even later on because a couple of correct scores could get you back in it.

I'm in for both also.
            'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
              I think there should be more for binking a correct score.

I'd say 6-2-1 would be a better system. Gives everybody a chance even later on because a couple of correct scores could get you back in it.

I'm in for both also.
              Correct scores are random, having higher points for them just dilutes the skill aspect imo.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                Correct scores are random, having higher points for them just dilutes the skill aspect imo.
                Yeah this. I think 3-2-1 is fine. 4-2-1 was a bit too high variance. 4-3-1 would be ok I guess.
                "I can’t find anyone who agrees with what I write or think these days, so I guess I must be getting closer to the truth." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I am in only for the craic, I will not be paying the entry fees and will not be expecting to be paid out should my dumb luck actually finish in a winning position, ie if i come 2nd then the 2nd place prize should go to third etc.

If this is alright wth the other people taking part

Comment

I thought 4-2-1 was fine, and was reasonably balanced?

Comment

Originally posted by montyrebel View Post
                      I am in only for the craic, I will not be paying the entry fees and will not be expecting to be paid out should my dumb luck actually finish in a winning position, ie if i come 2nd then the 2nd place prize should go to third etc.

If this is alright wth the other people taking part
                      Yeah that's grand, it was the same for the WC comp.

Comment

I am up for this but ow does the 3-2-1 or what ever scoring system work?

EDIT: Also we do one in the local where its 5 points for correct result and 11 for a correct score would that be simplar?

Comment

If its 3-2-1

3 pts for the right team winning/draw and correct score
                          2 pts for the right team winning/draw and the correct difference in goals but incorrect score.
                          1 pt for the right team winning but incorrect score and goal difference.

0 pts for everything else.
                          'Mental Toughness is doing the right thing for the team when it's not the best thing for you' - Bill Belichick

Comment

Originally posted by eagle eye View Post
                            If its 3-2-1

3 pts for the right team winning/draw and correct score
                            2 pts for the right team winning/draw and the correct difference in goals but incorrect score.
                            1 pt for the right team winning but incorrect score and goal difference.

0 pts for everything else.
                            Sounds good. Inski

Comment

4-2-1 seemed fine to me. the difference in the WC comp was the extra 1 pointers I got. The number of perfect scores was fairly even between the top few.

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                I think Rigger spotted a flaw whereby anyone who blindly backed 1-1 in all the Group games of the World Cup would have been top after the group stages. I don't know if that was fluke or something that would always happen. Maybe 3-2-1 system would counter it.
                                Nah, wasn't my strat.

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                They aren't random. I would have had a couple of more too had I not been robbed on the Japan game.

At this point while I don't know if I'll play, imo though - getting the correct score should give you a good points tally, definetly no less than the 4.
                                X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                  Inski for both anyway.

Thoughts.
                                  Maybe split the Prem league into 2 competitions, all games up to 31/12 for the first competion and then start another one on Jan 1st.

Examine what we can do about extra times/penalties (only an issue in the latter stages of the champions league competition).

Is the 4-2-1 scoring system good? I think Rigger spotted a flaw whereby anyone who blindly backed 1-1 in all the Group games of the World Cup would have been top after the group stages. I don't know if that was fluke or something that would always happen. Maybe 3-2-1 system would counter it.
                                  Also in for both. I'd be up for doing a Championship and Spanish one aswel. The more the merrier.

I like the idea of splitting them in 2 aswel and running one til new year and a second til the end of the season.

I think 4-2-1 works well and would prefer that over 3-2-1. I'd rather have 5-3-2 if we were going to change it.

Comment

The 4-2-1 isn't perfect, but i don't think there's a better option.

Does anyone think "half correct" results should be rewarded a little bit.

i.e. From the world cup: Germany v Serbia. 99% of people go for a German win.
                                    Player A goes for a draw. Serbia win.

Should player A get something for being the closest to the correct result?
                                    I can't see a way of scoring it, but it feels like player A should get something.

Edit: After reading my post, tough shit, me thinks.
                                    Last edited by UraiseIfold; 15-07-10, 15:33.
                                    eoghanlyons.com

Comment

Originally posted by UraiseIfold View Post

Edit: After reading my post, tough shit, me thinks.
                                      Yeah, I think so.

I'm inclined to stick with the tried and tested 4-2-1 scoring system, seems to be the fairest.

Prob best to split the prem league into two alright, i'll have a look at the fixture list and find a suitable date,the halfway mark in the league falls around christmas week but i'll try and avoid that as it's a bad time for people to be online.

Comment

I think you could have a halfway prize, a 2nd half of the season prize and an overall prize

edit: danny I rec'd the stars $ btw, tried to pm you but your pm box was full, cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by cardshark202 View Post
                                          I think you could have a halfway prize, a 2nd half of the season prize and an overall prize
                                          Yeah, I was thinking of something like this myself.
                                          What would be the best way to structure it regarding buyins and prizemoney?

Dom, is it possible to reset the scores in the league on a certain date?

Comment

Have the split be the before/after FA Cup 3rd round. That is pretty much the end of the year anyhow, although the 1st Jan is a Saturday this year, so not sure if that will be FA Cup weekend or not.

As for scores reset, I will have to try to get in and see if I can manually do it, as it is not an available feature in the thing itself. We may have to just keep track of it the old fashioned way.

Comment

Inski for both competitions. $20 on each? prizepool split depending on runners?

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                                Have the split be the before/after FA Cup 3rd round. That is pretty much the end of the year anyhow, although the 1st Jan is a Saturday this year, so not sure if that will be FA Cup weekend or not.

As for scores reset, I will have to try to get in and see if I can manually do it, as it is not an available feature in the thing itself. We may have to just keep track of it the old fashioned way.

Yeah I can keep a record of the scores after the first half of the season, I was thinking about having the second half of the season starting arond the 5th of Jan as alot of people are traditionally offline around christmas/new year(meh, probably doesn't matter too much I guess).

Originally posted by J10spades View Post
                                                Inski for both competitions. $20 on each? prizepool split depending on runners?
                                                Yup, pretty much!

I'll start 2 seperate threads later for the 2 comps.

Only thing left to decide now is do we run 2 completely seperate leagues for premiership or have a first half/second half/ overall split? Will this dilute it too much?

Opinions?

Comment

Working...
                                                X