Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPB Hero Our Conor Memorial Thread - (Horses Betting Obv)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fiery Wasabi View Post
    Ffs. Betting in running bets are not applicable.

If I phone then up and say that the horse had already fallen when the bet was placed do you think I'd have a case?

Someone who saw the race live please tell me what fence she fell at.
    She didn't jump any fences today

Comment

Do I get my fifty back, backed it on PP last night? It's not there at the min?
      Her sky-ness
      © 5starpool

Comment

Ffs. Betting in running bets are not applicable.

If I phone then up and say that the horse had already fallen when the bet was placed do you think I'd have a case?

Someone who saw the race live please tell me what fence she fell at.
        I'd say customer service would say only a fool would back a nag that was out of the race already.
        Last edited by Guest; 31-12-14, 14:03.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
          you'll get it as a free bet. It should be there later some time today, although it can take a day or so at times.

Comment

Originally posted by SatNav View Post
            You get it back as a free bet, it will show up later

Comment

...Apparently Sadlers risk was 4 pound under weight...and the second horse was definitely catching...
              Last edited by luckforsome; 31-12-14, 15:25.

Comment

So did she fall at the first or what? ..
                Put the bet on using my phone, so that I could watch the race. Then as soon as I put it on, I click on to the live stream and she's already out fml.

Edit...GFY Sick Puppy !
                Last edited by Fiery Wasabi; 31-12-14, 16:42.

Comment

Put the bet on using my phone, so that I could watch the race. Then as soon as I put it on, I click on to the live stream and she's already out fml.
                  She fell 4 out I think, I was just being facetious above. It was a hurdle race hence no fences.

Comment

Edit...GFYSP
                    Way to kick a guy when he's down
                    Profit before people.

Comment

Also to be fair to Strewelpeter he didn't really tip up the horse, he just made a best case for her and said he'd be having a bet but that if the real bog warrior turned up he'd beat her easily.

Comment

Ah well horse and jockey all sage and sound.

Hopefully there will be better days.

We were expecting loads of pace in the race... In the weighroom there were three of them saying they would be going on by the time they started that had changed and lynch was only ambling along to suit himself do Ian felt that he had to go on. Perhaps he should have had abit more confidence in her ability.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Not being bitter here but I honestly think with another jockey on board you would have had at least 3 more wins (specific races in mind). Has there been any thoughts of changing?

There was a write up somewhere saying that JJ does not win enough for the talent it has.

Comment

On another (completely different) note, there is definitely an upcoming vacancy for a competent commentator. Des hasn't a breeze what's going on these days although his blatant stalling for time while he tries to match racecard colours to what he's seeing is mildly hilarious.

I do remember him calling a complete outsider home in glorious isolation at Leops a few seasons back. Cue groans from the crowd and mass tearing up of tickets. To be followed by frantic scrabbling for the remains of the tickets as he changes his mind and reveals that the fav has in fact romped in.
                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post
                              Not being bitter here but I honestly think with another jockey on board you would have had at least 3 more wins (specific races in mind). Has there been any thoughts of changing?

There was a write up somewhere saying that JJ does not win enough for the talent it has.
                              My thoughts are that she's an unbelievably genuine mare but she needs absolutely everything to drop right (ideally on heavy) for her to get the win. I doubt a jockey change would make much difference to that.
                              Today was unfortunate especially as her fencing experience seemed to have sharpened up her hurdling at Navan last time. All safe and sound and she will go on being a credit to connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                On another (completely different) note, there is definitely an upcoming vacancy for a competent commentator. Des hasn't a breeze what's going on these days although his blatant stalling for time while he tries to match racecard colours to what he's seeing is mildly hilarious.

I do remember him calling a complete outsider home in glorious isolation at Leops a few seasons back. Cue groans from the crowd and mass tearing up of tickets. To be followed by frantic scrabbling for the remains of the tickets as he changes his mind and reveals that the fav has in fact romped in.
                                He did it 4 days ago as well! Until he was told right on the winning line. Supposedly the other horse (nowhere) touched 1.07 due to it! Ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                  Way to kick a guy when he's down
                                  Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                  Its pretty annoying/insulting to tip up a horse in good faith and then to have it thrown back in your face if it doesn't win. The insults normally come from gombeens who have lost a tenner. In my case I find this hard to take when I may have had 100 times that on it. It's doubly insulting to be the person who also pays the monthly training fees and upkeep of that horse thus adding to the total fiscal loss and even more so to the scale of the disappointment. In the words of Bricktop "if I throw a dog a bone I don't want to know what it tastes like". That's a fairly prophetic statement in my view. I would suggest people think about it and the bigger picture the next time they lose a tenner.
                                  Jaysus lads will ye calm da fuq down. ....the edit was aimed at Sick puppy's post. (changed above now)
                                  It's not that I was upset at the horse falling or losing, but was at Mick's waiting in the wings as usual to berate someone.
                                  Last edited by Fiery Wasabi; 31-12-14, 16:43.

Comment

Originally posted by White Knight View Post

Agree with this. Don't know the jockey obv but he's a menace imo. Not looking to argue this point with anyone it's my opinion. Get her a new jockey

Comment

Here is another beauty - when you pay the bills you get to decide who rides your horse. Any of you guys on here looking for a horse for which you can pay the bills for in order to have input on the jockey arrangements then shout and il find something to sell you.
                                      Try this listen beauty out, everyone here is entitled to an opinion. Like I said above Im not looking to argue the point.

Comment

I fail to see what exactly Ian did wrong , unlucky Strewelpeter

Comment

Here is another beauty - when you pay the bills you get to decide who rides your horse. Any of you guys on here looking for a horse for which you can pay the bills for in order to have input on the jockey arrangements then shout and il find something to sell you.
                                          I'll take a Tony Martin trained os that's been "out of sorts" last few runs, ty.
                                          Profit before people.

Comment

I have no problem asking a question or giving my feedback. It's probably a good thing to get from unconnected sources that are impartial - not that I'm an expert in the field either. But it is what a public horse racing thread is for!

Anyhow unlucky today SP my feeling was JJ may have had all the running of those as the race was materialising which would have backed up your reasoning for going for this race. IMO probably a good decision and unfortunate on the day. Hopefully she is good in herself after the fall and no ill affects going forward.

Comment

She would definitely benefit from having one of the few "Top Jockeys" on board, as would all horses not ridden by Walsh, Geraghty, McCoy & IMO Carberry. These increase your chances of winning by up to 40%. There are some Neutrals - in Ireland Russell, Cooper; in UK - Scudamore, Maguire, O'Regan.
                                              As a punter if you punt outside of this group just don't complain when you get beat or the pilot fucks up.
                                              Having the right jockey on board is the most underrated factor when backing horses, I'd say on any given day 25% of races would have different winners dependant on a diff/better jockey.
                                              One glaring example at the moment is that unsurprisingly poor judge of a jockey Barry Connell giving a retainer to the young Heskin kid who is as bad a judge of tactics as I've come across and as a rider is moderately average.

Comment

Jaysus lads will ye calm da fuq down. ....the edit was aimed at Sick puppy's post. (changed above now)
                                                It's not that I was upset at the horse falling or losing, but was at Mick's waiting in the wings as usual to berate someone.
                                                Come on just was saying what customer support be thinking.

Comment

Who'd ultimately choose the jockey in most cases? Presume owner has the final say as they're putting up the fee but imagine for a lot of syndicates it'd be the trainer pushing for a particular jockey. (No opinion on JJs jockey, wouldn't have a clue even if i had seen the race)

Comment

While I think Arazi has a point there is a huge selection bias involved as the top few pilots get the pick of the mounts. Skill and experience count for a lot but 40% sounds way too much IMO.

It makes sense that a lad who is winning races all the time will have a better chance of getting right all the things that need to be got right makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                      Who'd ultimately choose the jockey in most cases? Presume owner has the final say as they're putting up the fee but imagine for a lot of syndicates it'd be the trainer pushing for a particular jockey. (No opinion on JJs jockey, wouldn't have a clue even if i had seen the race)
                                                      The bigger yards mostly have a stable jockey who will have the pick of the available rides from that stable.
                                                      Smaller trainers will have the option to use the lads who ride work for them or to call on the services of whoever is available for a particular race. There are agents are trying to match available rides with jockeys.

Owners who have a lot of horses across a number of yards tend these days to keep a retained jockey who will ride most of their horses and also ride work on them, which is the biggest part of a jockeys job.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickpuppy View Post
                                                        Come on just was saying what customer support be thinking.
                                                        Yeah I know that, and sorry for any mis-understanding, but it's just unfortunate the you and Tony have usernames that are 'SP'. Didn't mean to get on Tony's case at all, and would be only too delighted for him to have a winner. I think he knows me well enough to realise that too.

Anyway, Happy New Year to you,Tony and to GAB... and hopefully Jennies Jewel will be in the winners enclosure soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                          While I think Arazi has a point there is a huge selection bias involved as the top few pilots get the pick of the mounts. Skill and experience count for a lot but 40% sounds way too much IMO.

It makes sense that a lad who is winning races all the time will have a better chance of getting right all the things that need to be got right makes a lot of sense.
                                                          I did say up to 40% in fairness.
                                                          And what I mean by that is that a horse who is a genuine 10/1 chance in a race with say your jockey (Ian McCarthy) might be a genuine 7/1 chance with Barry Geraghty on board. Geraghtys presence might make him a 6/1 chance if the original jockey was Sam Waley Cohen or a 9/1 chance if it was Brian Cooper.

Geraghty won the last race in Chepstow on Monday on a horse called Clean Sheet by a short head and it's arguable whether anyone else could have won on him, it was a majestic ride (he'd have prob won on any of the first 3 home).
                                                          Carberry's ride on Bellvano in the Johnny Henderson 2 years ago is another example. These guys ride like an art form whereas others just ride.

On the counter side Brian Cooper, a top class jockey, got beat on the first fav at Punchestown today and I'd honestly say any of the 4 I mentioned would have 100% won on him. He rode a clueless race.

It's our money and I think before smashing into one in 2015 just stop for a second and consider the jockey.

Comment

Ah feck off now.
                                                            I literally offered thousands to be involved in whatever shitty straw name horse and you currently have and you refused my money. Get out of your own fucking hole and have a merry 2015.
                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Ian McCarthy took a fall schooling this morning and broke his collar bone - it may be through necessity that JJ has a different pilot next time depending on his recovery and her next intended start.
                                                              Ah shite, that's lousy

He was in fierce bad form yesterday evening, that's the last thing he needed. I'm sure he'll recover quickly and bounce back better than ever

Comment

Ian McCarthy took a fall schooling this morning and broke his collar bone - it may be through necessity that JJ has a different pilot next time depending on his recovery and her next intended start.
                                                                The break happened in the race yesterday and he only went to the hospital with it after he wasn't able for schooling this morning.

Comment

Shark Hanlons horse is meant to win the bumper in Cheltenham or so I'm told. In for the win.... Good to see a bit of discussion in here too...Bad luck SP hope JJ is none the worse. Happy New Year all.
                                                                  Jayzus, Sheila! I forgot me feckin' trousers

Comment

Reckon apprentice races are the ones that a standout jockey would give you the biggest edge, you can visibly see massive class differences in those races in terms of riding technique.

But personally find it very tough rate your run of the mill pro jockey and reckon jumps jockeys are far tougher to analyse than flat. Like through the winter you have the same bunch of flat jockeys riding a few tracks, variables like psychological edge show through and lads like Smullen or Adam Kirby win races they've no right due to their exceptional skill and track knowledge.

But apart from the standouts it's really difficult, especially when you factor in how often they're not trying.
                                                                    Profit before people.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                      Shark Hanlons horse is meant to win the bumper in Cheltenham or so I'm told. In for the win.... Good to see a bit of discussion in here too...Bad luck SP hope JJ is none the worse. Happy New Year all.
                                                                      Left me down for a nice double with Elliotts bumper winner at FH. Was on early this morning though so no GFYPM

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                                                        She would definitely benefit from having one of the few "Top Jockeys" on board, as would all horses not ridden by Walsh, Geraghty, McCoy & IMO Carberry. These increase your chances of winning by up to 40%. There are some Neutrals - in Ireland Russell, Cooper; in UK - Scudamore, Maguire, O'Regan.
                                                                        As a punter if you punt outside of this group just don't complain when you get beat or the pilot fucks up.
                                                                        Having the right jockey on board is the most underrated factor when backing horses, I'd say on any given day 25% of races would have different winners dependant on a diff/better jockey.
                                                                        One glaring example at the moment is that unsurprisingly poor judge of a jockey Barry Connell giving a retainer to the young Heskin kid who is as bad a judge of tactics as I've come across and as a rider is moderately average.
                                                                        He had a shocking day at Fairyhouse today so along with your statement above l looked him up, this might be a small sample but got to say he's on a serious cooler atm.
                                                                        image.jpg

Comment

Yes a shocking run going on those stats.

Comment

Originally posted by Blip View Post
                                                                            He had a shocking day at Fairyhouse today so along with your statement above l looked him up, this might be a small sample but got to say he's on a serious cooler atm.
                                                                            [ATTACH]2179[/ATTACH]
                                                                            Saw him close up at Leops and he looked dreadful. Years and lifestyle have not been kind.

Comment

I see McCoy has ridden 24 consecutive losers (including 5 Favs) also so even the great have their downswings.

Comment

Originally posted by Arazi View Post
                                                                                I see McCoy has ridden 24 consecutive losers (including 5 Favs) also so even the great have their downswings.
                                                                                Apparently something amiss currently in John Jo's...wouldn't take a very good judge to see this either... so this would be a huge factor...all the retained jockeys are subject to this swings depending on the yards health

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Mustard View Post
                                                                                  Apparently something amiss currently in John Jo's...wouldn't take a very good judge to see this either... so this would be a huge factor...all the retained jockeys are subject to this swings depending on the yards health
                                                                                  He managed to get a 1/4 shot home at Ffos Las today anyway.

Do we not think there's a 'jockey premium' baked into horse's odds anyway? Thus a 10\1shot ridden by McCoy might be 12\1 if ridden by Fehily. Or 20\1 if ridden by Roger Loughran.

Comment

Benability in the 1.45 in Ffos las looks like a decent shout at 5/2, won Stephens day, due to move up 8lbs following that result but remains the same weight for this race.

Comment

Do we not think there's a 'jockey premium' baked into horse's odds anyway? Thus a 10\1shot ridden by McCoy might be 12\1 if ridden by Fehily. Or 20\1 if ridden by Roger Loughran.
                                                                                      I'd agree with Arazi but wouldn't think it was 20%, maybe half that. Yeah I'd agree that the bookies take less chance with a "premium" jock on board. I think SP would be thinking more a 200/1 for Loughran

Comment

A little ew patent for some entertainment on the sand tonight:

Celestial Dawn 1845 wol
                                                                                        Sister slew 1905 dun
                                                                                        Rose angel 205 dun

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                          A little ew patent for some entertainment on the sand tonight:

Celestial Dawn 1845 wol
                                                                                          Sister slew 1905 dun
                                                                                          Rose angel 205 dun
                                                                                          Have given this a go

Comment

Nice shout on Sister Slew

Comment

Ouch, nice selections

Comment

Not as a science but for some it's huge:
                                                                                                McCoy in NH, Nina in Bumpers, Ryan Moore on the flat will all have the presence of the top rider in that sphere built into the price. On the converse when a form horse is ridden by a gimp or jockey of lesser ability they tend to be underpriced and can be laid, a good example here is Dunguib in the Supreme Novices or also the first race tonight @ Dundalk where the top weight was sent off 11/4 ridden by a 10 pound claimer who had never ridden a winner and made a complete mess of a winning position.

Comment

1435 ling is a decent looking class 2 . Perfect pasture sets a good standard and fairway to heaven has been backed for a shrewd yard following a few dubious runs. I like secondo ew if he hits 5/1 . Seemed to be on an upward curve but got a terrible passage through his last race. Whatever happens I think a lot of future winners will pop up from the race.

Comment

@horatio have a double going onto Castillo in the 2.00. What do you make of the race?

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                                      @horatio have a double going onto Castillo in the 2.00. What do you make of the race?
                                                                                                      Only saw now best of luck

Comment

Only saw now best of luck
                                                                                                        Godolphin horse falls at Lingfield on the all weather and scuppers Favs chance.

Theres a sentence i never thought id write a few years ago.

Comment

Interesting to see Seamus Fahey send a horse that hasn't ran for a year and a half over for the last at southwell tomorrow. Was once rated 78 over here and runs off 49. Breeding would suggest it should like it there and his horses are running well at the moment. A dull and dreary kip to head for on a jaunt!

Comment

He has one in the second last as well, same owner.

Comment

I see its barney time again
                                                                                                              Last edited by horatio1; 09-01-15, 10:45.

Comment

I see its barney time again
                                                                                                                which one(s)

Comment

Originally posted by careca View Post
                                                                                                                  which one(s)
                                                                                                                  Giant sequoia and ecliptic sunrise ling and eye of the tiger Dundalk, prob another one I can't spot

Comment

Giant sequoia and ecliptic sunrise ling and eye of the tiger Dundalk, prob another one I can't spot
                                                                                                                    not a decent price between them
                                                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Originally posted by DeadParrot View Post
                                                                                                                      not a decent price between them
                                                                                                                      12/1 5/1 9/2 last night, doesn't seem as sustained as last time

Comment

Did you hear Simon Holts commentary in the Balder Success race. Think it was him anyway, good comentator usually but he had his head up Hunt Balls hole from the very outset with overrated superlatives on Hunt Balls early jumping. They were scarcely racing at that point, it was so biased. When he beat a retreat he didnt make equal note of it. It was like he was saying ah you fools on Balder Success.

Comment

Think it was Mark Johnson nearly sure Holt was at Warwick
                                                                                                                          Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X