Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPB Hero Our Conor Memorial Thread - (Horses Betting Obv)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Malt Gem 4-40 Gowran was fancied the last day by connections fell when going ok 3 out not sure if it would have beaten the fav that day,would definitely have been in the shake up 4/1 9/2 in places

Comment

I feel like I should be backing something ew in the betfair chase but finding major negatives in the whole field, which leaves me asking which is the best bad option...? Hunt Ball?
      Profit before people.

Comment

1525 at lingfield is a fascinating race for aw fans. The progressive rebellious guest sets the standard having won his last two well.
        Hugh Taylor has gone for the front running luhaif who should make it a true run race . Decent / unexposed types from the Noseda/ Johnston yards also line up.
        My fancy is George guru who I thought got an untypical bad ride from Kirby lto, albeit over a trip too short. Looks good ew value at around 13/2 IMO .

Any views

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
          I feel like I should be backing something ew in the betfair chase but finding major negatives in the whole field, which leaves me asking which is the best bad option...? Hunt Ball?
          Kauto stone

Comment

Jennies Jewel will have a spin in the Grade 2 hurdle 2:10 tomorrow in Navan.

The ground is very deep and the jury is still out on whether she can handle it. Despite an action continues to look like she should get through it better than most the fact is that the only really disappointing runs she has had have been on this type of ground.

On strict handicap terms Jennies is at a disadvantage only to Zaidipour and that is only 5Lbs . I thought Willie sounded a bit scaldy about him today and probably doesn't have any clue what was wrong last day.

According to Alan Swetman in the RP Dunguib is a nap to reverse Naas placings with Jennies. I suppose you can take that Dunguib is entitled to come on a lot for a nice workout last time and Fenton got Last Instalment back to his peak after a similar type of reintroduction. Another thing in Dunguib's favour is that the sequence of novice wins he ran up in '09 was on this type of ground. Still due to the race conditions Dunguib will have to improve an extra 4lbs on top of the 9 lengths he was in arrears to us. If anyone offwers me a big enough price on the match bet I'll be indulging.

All the rest have their chances too, I'm assuming BW doesn't run Elliots horse looks the pick of the Gigginstown pair but Morris is a cute hoor and he might have something up his sleeve to be running Rathlin on this ground. Minsk would be a danger if he was able to leave everything he's done since he went chasing behind.I remember thinking he was destined for great things when I saw him chasing home Rule the World in Naas last year, reverting to hurdles is an interesting move.

All I hope is that she comes home safe having run her race and remains in the picture to take on Quevega.
            Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Good luck tomorrow SP, with Cheltenham in mind hopefully it's not a complete slog.

Anyone know who the "well known Munster trainer" is who's up in court this week?

Comment

If there was a match bet available between Jennies and Dunguib with Jennies bigger than 5/4 which she would be at current prices I'd be all over the mare. You pretty much know what you're getting from her, she's also getting more weight from Dunguib than lto. Not overly convinced that he will come on too much from that run at Navan either. It's basically a contest between very decent consistency and very questionable potential.

But as ever hope she gets a safe trip around and best of luck. Zaidpour wins with Jennies chasing home gamely in 2nd imo.
                Profit before people.

Comment

Just the four left in now sp,good luck with her.
                  Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Sigh!
                    Its a well worn phrase in racing that They never come back well fair play to Phillip Fenton who has managed to disprove that rule twice in a week with a performance from Dunguib that could not have been more emphatic and commanding. Delighted for them.

After looking at the replay I'm not as disappointed as maybe I should be. Ian says she was runing her usual race and was starting to pick up for him and he still thought she would run on into second second until just before the last when she completely ran out of gas. Jarlath thinks maybe he left her short a piece of work and Andy is convinced that she doesn't go a yard past 20F on that type of ground. Best of the lot is the attitude of two of the lads that it wasn't as bad a run as it looked and that is great because now they will only have to punt half as much money in Cheltenham now
                    So between everyone we have enough excuses to go ahead with plan A and providing everything stays good and sound to take on Quevega in a race that in all likelihood may not have the strength in depth that the kind of races Jennies has been running in recently has.

Comment

Fenton

Comment

Philip Fenton, trainer of Last Instalment and Duguib, faces charges of possession of steroids and will appear in court on Thursday

Comment

Originally posted by mcnugget View Post
                          Fenton

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                            He was right

Comment

Streethowlingmama in the 1710 Southwell might be worth a speculative ew punt if all 8 line up. She beat only 1 home in 3 maiden attempts but showed some improvement when returning from a 136 day layoff lto.

Slow away she travelled well in the rear before coming up the usually avoided far rail , making steady progress under a tender apprentice ride.

By street cry out of an AP Indy mare , Southwell should be right up her street and although racing from a pound out of the hcap Liam keniry is a positive booking. 14/1 ew with PP and hope they all run.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Mitty View Post
                                He was right
                                Move over Godolphin. Wonder what Mick O'Leary will do.
                                "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

I'd be amazed if this type of carry on isn't far more widespread than people think.

Comment

He was right
                                    I meant the more along the lines of... now I know how Sonia O'Sullivan felt after finishing 4th to someone who was a bit dodge

Its a very tricky subject that I don't know an awful lot about but the bottom line will probably turn out to be that as long as the horses didn't have any thing illegal in h their system at the races there won't be a lot of consequences
                                    Last edited by Strewelpeter; 18-02-14, 15:02.

Comment

Kevin Blake had an interesting article this week basically outlining how the prize money in premier hcaps in Ireland is necessitating trainers to play the hcap system in order to get a horse right for the big day.

He chose his words carefully as you would expect but it is a good read. We love to applaud a good coup in this country ( as recently witnessed) and prefer to gloss over any skulduggery involved.

We forget that for every horse that romps home after running down the field or juiced up on steroids there are other horses / owners paying their way to run on their merits.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                        I'd be amazed if this type of carry on isn't far more widespread than people think.
                                        Agree 100%

Is a very tricky subject that I don't know an awful lot about but the bottom line will probably turn outto be that as long as the horses didn't have any thing illegal in h their system at the races there won't be a lot of consequences
                                        I don't think there will be consequences for any horses that haven't tested positive but there will be huge consequences for Fenton himself imo.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                          Kevin Blake had an interesting article this week basically outlining how the prize money in premier hcaps in Ireland is necessitating trainers to play the hcap system in order to get a horse right for the big day.

He chose his words carefully as you would expect but it is a good read. We love to applaud a good coup in this country ( as recently witnessed) and prefer to gloss over any skulduggery involved.

We forget that for every horse that romps home after running down the field or juiced up on steroids there are other horses / owners paying their way to run on their merits.
                                          Do we? Most genuine racing fans/punters would love a clean sport with horses running on their merits and the constant murmurings of lack of integrity done away with.

Comment

Originally posted by NewApproach View Post
                                            Do we? Most genuine racing fans/punters would love a clean sport with horses running on their merits and the constant murmurings of lack of integrity done away with.
                                            I don't know NA. I'd say it was pretty much 50-50 on the whole Curley thing last time . Some appalled and some overjoyed at the "enemy " getting done over. Of course the perceived enemy in this case being bookmaking . They are part of the sport but most often when something like this happens there has been a "working of the system" which has been dentrimental of racing overall.

In theory most punters would like racing to be straight, but you only have to look at this thread to see numerous quotes like " today will not be the day" , etc.

Due to low prize money( especially uk) racing will always be so and unfortunately these races are neede to maintain the industry for horses bred but not good enough for pattern races.

I personally find it rewarding to spot a lowly hcapped horse who is being primed for a day when the punt landed and not the prize money will cover the cost of his existence. Maybe it's perverse but if all racing were straight I would never get that .

Just my opinion

Comment

QQ for the Cheltenham veterans-
                                              Would a flight @ 7.50pm out of Birmingham be doable on the Tuesday eve? Last race at 5.15pm.

Flying over on the Monday but not sure if that flight back on Tue is cutting it too tight.

Comment

Alistar Down isn't everyones cup of tea but his tribute to Terry Biddlecombe is a great read.

Comment

Originally posted by NoRiverRequired View Post
                                                  QQ for the Cheltenham veterans-
                                                  Would a flight @ 7.50pm out of Birmingham be doable on the Tuesday eve? Last race at 5.15pm.

Flying over on the Monday but not sure if that flight back on Tue is cutting it too tight.
                                                  How will you travel?
                                                  Its an hours drive and ten minutes longer by train to the airport.

In any case it doesn't matter- you won't make the return flight because you'll be in the bar drinker champers with us after Jennies wins the Mares race

Comment

Gigginstown speak on Fenton
                                                    Originally posted by Eddie O'Leary
                                                    "I'm sure he'll be fine. All this is bureaucracy gone mad, jobs for the boys.

"It's the department (of Agriculture, Food and the Marine) trying to make work for themselves by wanting proper labels on every single bottle in every single yard.

"We spend whatever money on educating and qualifying vets, but the vast majority of department vets have no actual interest in being vets. All they want is to join the department and have a nice and easy nine-to-five job.

"Horses cannot be looked after nine to five. If a horse gets colic, you sometimes have to treat it yourself or it could be dead by the time the vet gets there.

"This is an absolute storm in a teacup and I'm sure most normal people will see this for what it is."
                                                    Eddie sounds like he's been taking lessons from Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                      I am on that flight home, I am also on the 7.30am flight over that morning. Will be hiring a driver for both journeys. Likely there is a seat in the car. Should cost £150 all in for transfers to/from which we will be chopping between us. At the moment "us" is just me but will almost certainly be 1 more and maybe 3 more. Assuming "us" doesn't turn into 3 more (highly unlikely) - then there is a seat for you.

EDIT - just confirmed that one of the lads has booked his flights so "us" is now two people.
                                                      If it ends up being just two I might jump in if that's acceptable.

Comment

I am on that flight home, I am also on the 7.30am flight over that morning. Will be hiring a driver for both journeys. Likely there is a seat in the car. Should cost £150 all in for transfers to/from which we will be chopping between us. At the moment "us" is just me but will almost certainly be 1 more and maybe 3 more. Assuming "us" doesn't turn into 3 more (highly unlikely) - then there is a seat for you.

EDIT - just confirmed that one of the lads has booked his flights so "us" is now two people.
                                                        Where are you getting a car for £150?
                                                        looks like there will be 5 maybe 6 of us arriving in Birmingham at 12:30 on Tuesday, earlier flights were all full by the time i got my ass in gear
                                                        I was going to hire a car hopefully be at the track by 2PM

If thats all too much of a panic I might switch to driving over the night before.

Comment

That's decent cheers- count me in if there is a seat available.
                                                          Might end up flying over on that flight Tue morn also as im not 100% sure if ive got a bed for the Monday night, hope to book the flights this eve.

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                            Streethowlingmama in the 1710 Southwell might be worth a speculative ew punt if all 8 line up. She beat only 1 home in 3 maiden attempts but showed some improvement when returning from a 136 day layoff lto.

Slow away she travelled well in the rear before coming up the usually avoided far rail , making steady progress under a tender apprentice ride.

By street cry out of an AP Indy mare , Southwell should be right up her street and although racing from a pound out of the hcap Liam keniry is a positive booking. 14/1 ew with PP and hope they all run.
                                                            Thought she might do it turning in but at least she collected the ew with only the seven running. Drop to 7 at Southwell might suit

Comment

Paul nicholls and Dessie hughes cheltenham stable tours..

Watch more horse racing and sport videos on our YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/racingpo...Subscribe to our YouTube channel: https://bit.ly/2l9...

Produced by Bluesilk Productions for Ch4's Morning Line programme. This, the second of five programmes, features the curragh based trainer Dessie Hughes.

Comment

Flights booked, Day tripping Tuesday -happy days.
                                                                Festival virgin- i am excite

Comment

Flights booked, Day tripping Tuesday -happy days.
                                                                  Festival virgin- i am excite
                                                                  You'll have a ball, it really is the nuts. Spend the extra few quid on a club ticket as you'll get to see more imo. Enjoy. All going well I should be changing nappies for the week

Comment

Alistar Down isn't everyones cup of tea but his tribute to Terry Biddlecombe is a great read.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...=last7DaysNews
                                                                    Excellent piece. He wrote an article about Istrabraq years back that was fantastic as well and he tends to get the senses going for Cheltenham better than any writer I know.

Comment

re barry connell pulls the tank

Mattie McGrath wanna-be

Comment

Probably an obvious question but I don't usually back antepost. Had an ew accum including TTT. Am I right in presuming he is just removed from the bet leaving it as a treble now?

Comment

Originally posted by TonyCascarino View Post
                                                                          Probably an obvious question but I don't usually back antepost. Had an ew accum including TTT. Am I right in presuming he is just removed from the bet leaving it as a treble now?
                                                                          It depends, check to see did you get NRNB (non runner no bet), if you did then yeah it'll revert to a treble. If not bet bust unfortunately.

Comment

FUUUUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKK
                                                                            I'd a stupid amount of money (well for me) with TTT across singles, doubles, Accums and 15s
                                                                            Last edited by DeadParrot; 20-02-14, 13:05.
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Wouldn't usually have much sympathy for antepost punters but would be surprised if most firms don't refund bets on TTT in this case.
                                                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Bet365 refunded my stake on him (placed on Jan 21st)

Comment

PP have this up too "We will refund all Cheltenham bets on The Tullow Tank as soon as official notification of his definite absence is received"

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                                    PP have this up too "We will refund all Cheltenham bets on The Tullow Tank as soon as official notification of his definite absence is received"
                                                                                    People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                                    Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                                    https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Very first blade in the 2030 wolly looks ew value around 9/1. Has been a little unlucky in his last couple of outings and Joe fanning takes over tonight.

Comment

O`Leary will have to do the same with last installment also.
                                                                                        The interview given by his brother yesterday was very stupid.a bit like the Ryanair public relations of old.

Comment

Originally posted by Thefonze View Post
                                                                                          O`Leary will have to do the same with last installment also.
                                                                                          The interview given by his brother yesterday was very stupid.a bit like the Ryanair public relations of old.
                                                                                          Down with this sort of talk

Comment

Originally posted by Dice75 View Post
                                                                                            Down with this sort of talk
                                                                                            I wish it were so as I know you are on at big odds but it's what he has to do. His advisors world say the same. O`Connell forced his hand.
                                                                                            Imagine the accusations if he ran and won, the smell would linger for the rest of his career in racing.
                                                                                            Withdraw the house now, support the trainer until the case has been resolved and then reach a decision as to if you keep your houses with him or not. Anything less would amaze me.

Comment

I wish it were so as I know you are on at big odds but it's what he has to do. His advisors world say the same. O`Connell forced his hand.
                                                                                              Imagine the accusations if he ran and won, the smell would linger for the rest of his career in racing.
                                                                                              Withdraw the house now, support the trainer until the case has been resolved and then reach a decision as to if you keep your houses with him or not. Anything less would amaze me.
                                                                                              No chance he withdraws LI, might be the only time the horse is sound in March in his life. And O Leary doesn't give a fcuk how it looks

Comment

He's drifting on betfair, probably a good price now. They refunded TTT so you'd imagine they'd have to do the same if he was pulled.
                                                                                                Profit before people.

Comment

No chance he withdraws LI, might be the only time the horse is sound in March in his life. And O Leary doesn't give a fcuk how it looks
                                                                                                  The arguments you make about the horse are valid but of no consequence. Await the announcement.

Comment

I presume you have seen this?

I also presume that O'Leary forgot that Dunguib was DQd from the Irish Champion Bumper for a positive test.
                                                                                                    Yes and yes. The statement is muck and is the typical response of oleary. The previous issue where the horse was disqualified was due to a member of staff subsequently disqualified.

Give us your opinion on what he should do, if it was our connor last year would you run.

Comment

I don't get why Connell did that

I could understand him moving them elsewhere temporarily or just carrying on but this seems very wishy washy.

Surely he is creating an inference that unless PF is cleared by the court his horses in the yard are somehow tainted and will I suppose will be moved.
                                                                                                      Whereas Eddie is clear in saying what can be paraphrased as this is a load of nonsense that has nothing to do with anything, our horses race clean and they test clean and thats all there is to it.

Comment

Been a rough week for Connell with Minsk succumbing to illness in what sounds like a fairly nasty manner just hours before he was to run on Sunday.

Comment

I do agree that the statement appeared a little hasty

you are either incredibly poorly informed or naive

Maybe but I like to think that the substance in question was not performance enhancing as per what the turf club said in their ruling. Should I not believe the governing body findings?

I can only speak for myself. If I could satisfy myself beyond reasonable doubt that my horse had not benefited from illegal substances then he would run. I don't have enough of money to take such a principled stand as withdrawing my horse.
                                                                                                          That is a major difference, oleary has lots of cash, it's not worth the bother now O'Connell had stuck himself on a pedisal.

Apprecite your responses. This is a shame especially following on from the godolphin mess. I was very impressed with last instalment last time out and he reminded me of imperial call before he win the gold cup.

My belief is that he will withdraw but if he runs I will have mixed feelings.
                                                                                                          Good to get some debate on this site for a change :-)

Comment

On a better note for Irish racing. Halford and marnane have again collected at meydan.

Comment

That is a major difference, oleary has lots of cash, it's not worth the bother now O'Connell had stuck himself on a pedisal.

Apprecite your responses. This is a shame especially following on from the godolphin mess. I was very impressed with last instalment last time out and he reminded me of imperial call before he win the gold cup.

My belief is that he will withdraw but if he runs I will have mixed feelings.
                                                                                                              Good to get some debate on this site for a change :-)
                                                                                                              Full steam ahead for O'Leary

At The Races – Digital partner to Sky Sports Racing. Get horse racing news, video replays, racecards, results, form, tips, features and odds comparison.

Comment

Cheers, looks like it alright

Comment

Hi Noel,
                                                                                                                  First off many thanks for the above,i am really intrigued all 5 went for Wicklow Brave,i can understand he looks to have a serious engine but his jumping was very poor the last day
                                                                                                                  Vautour looks to have an engine and a very slick jumper,what did they say about him please and thanks again.

Comment

Hey Noel , great info thanks. Don't suppose GE mentioned Seismic at Fundalk tonight! Thought his last run at the venue was eye catching but he then went to wolly and was smashed into fav before running poorly.

Willing to forgive him that as the surface is desperate there and some horses just hate it .

Comment

WB to jump better at pace was the view. Vaoutaur a good horse obv but I think the price scared them away - they also said Ruby got a freebie in the D+T which may not be true
                                                                                                                      Thanks Noel

Comment

Few small ews for later

Art show 5.30 wolves ew -has ran two crediable races over 6f at lingers.both over 6f when with ed dunlop.ran off 58 when only beat by a l. Drops down to 5f now but runs off 50 before jocks 7pound claim. Has a poor draw to overcome but might be worth punt at 10/1

Flow chart 6.00wolves ew-ran 2l behind fav lto when getting a pound.gets 6 pound tonight with adam kirby booked.4/1

West coast dream 6.30 wolves ew. Has won over 5f offmarks of 82 .drops to a career low mark off 65.if he returns to previous form could be a good price. 11/2

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                        X