No announcement yet.

Irish General Election betting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FG minority is the most logical outcome imo, it's where my money is. Although I also expect Trump to win the presidency by a landslide so I may just have gone mad.

Comment

Originally posted by angle_grinder View Post
      I still wouldn't rule out FF overtaking FG.

If FG are the bigger party I can see FF enter a voting pact with them to ensure stability but only with a new Taoiseach as I can't see how they would work with a nodding donkey like Enda Kenny.
      I really do hope FF are paying you for this, if not you need a new hobby :-)

I've twisted it every way I can and as far as I can see max for FF is 42, minimum for FG is 48.
      I would expect the gap to be more in the 15-20 seat region.

Comment

I got on the FG total seats overs when the line was 50.5, after someone here tipping it. Interesting to see the line is now 54.5.

Would love to know how much stock is put in all of the online anger, frustration and contempt being shown the FG/LB coalition's way? I would very strongly feel that a lot of this should be discounted; it's clear from boards.ie, the Journal, Facebook, etc... that there are a sizeable number of people extremely dissatisfied with the current political landscape, but I'd argue many of them are making a level of noise far out of sync with the proportion of likely voters that fully agree with them.

I know I'd never dream of getting involved in a political argument with the 'anti-everything/they're all CORRUPT TRAITORS, the lot of them' gang, some of the more passionate on boards.ie seemingly post non-stop all the hours of the day and show no signs of deviating from their core beliefs no matter what counter-argument is put forward, indeed becoming more angered as any discussions go on. I believe they, like the Trump supporters in the US, are simply monopolising the debate via their level of sound and fury more than anything else. Furthermore, in Ireland I believe many of those who may agree with some of the legitimate frustrations that these type of political commentators voice, are also less likely to actually head to the polling station tomorrow! Voting is somewhat of a learned habit; it's harder to start than it is to vote general election after referendum after local election and so on.

Looking forward to the weekend anyhow, always fun to see the big winners, losers and the great stories that come out of a general election

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
            Don't give your bro the car, we need you as a voter
            Ha, I'm gonna borrow his bike I think! It just made me think of how awkward it must be to vote if you don't have a car; like I'm in Dublin 18 and still the walk is about an hour each way to the school they're using (up in Kilternan). If I was sitting in one of the many estates near me and not too bothered, no chance I'd vote. Don't think my wife is going to vote, and that's mainly because she's not used to it, the marriage referendum is the only time she's used her vote!

Comment

Anyone care to set a line on what the single biggest priced candidate to be elected will be?
              PaddyPower I guess for reference
              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                Anyone care to set a line on what the single biggest priced candidate to be elected will be?
                PaddyPower I guess for reference
                Dunno about odds when market closes, but there's a Social Democrats guy in Galway West called Niall O’Tuathaill who has been backed in from 33/1 to 11/4.

Comment

Fianna Fail line was 39.5 today and Fine Gael was 52.5. Big enough swing in the afternoon to make it 37.5 and 54.5 now. Bah, was hoping to get on Fine Gael 52.5.

Comment

Here's my bets.

Turn out under 64.5% @ 5/6
                    Glenna Lynch to be elect Dublin Bay South 50/1
                    Jim O'Callaghan to be elected Dublin Bay South 5/1
                    Labour under 10.5 seats 8/11(? Cant remember)

Comment

Think those DBS bets are mad tbh! FG/SF will romp home one a piece, Lucinda/Kate will fight it out, and then Lab/Green.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
                        Think those DBS bets are mad tbh! FG/SF will romp home one a piece, Lucinda/Kate will fight it out, and then Lab/Green.

I think the same as well but the value on those was terrible. Although Eamon Ryan was 9/2 earlier in the week was a good price.

Comment

Anybody but JC today, JC is going down! Fuck you Joe Costello!

Under 65.5% turnout surely a huge bet today?

Us Irish are lazy fucks especially with rain and wasn't there only 61% for gay marriage? Where everyone made it a mission to vote in that which I doubt they will today. I'm thinking 62.5 should be line, please inform me if wrong before I pull the trigger in ~30 mins
                          Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Alright was 67 and 70% turnout last 2 general elections, I have pussied out. gg, gl
                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Comment

The 6.2% invalid/spoiled votes in the 1945 Presidential Election is a huge anomaly with the figure veering between 1-1.5% for every other presidential or general election. I wonder is there an interesting story there, a big campaign to vote for Churchill or Stalin or suchlike.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Something to consider is that the electoral register is more than likely to have quite a lot of 'head room'.

A polling card arrived for me in Dublin, in a house in a country that I last lived in in 2010...

Comment

Last bet of the election, under 24.5 on Sinn Fein. Looking forward to a second election, these are great fun.

Comment

Comment

lets say we get FG 61, Lab 9, SocDem 6, so they get two or three independents on board. Does our FG/Lab/SD bet win or lose? Wasn't too clear what happens in that case on PP
                                            lose
                                            "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Comment

Not sure I sure PP's bullishness about Lucy @ 1/7. Weak field though I suppose.
                                                4/9

Suppose I better give her a dig out

Comment

yeah? but there wasn't any option to bet '+independents' only '+any other party' which presumably independents don't count as.

EDIT:

ffs
                                                  Yeah we're screwed. Half of my mates voting Renua ffs. Based on their tax calculator.
                                                  His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

yeah? but there wasn't any option to bet '+independents' only '+any other party' which presumably independents don't count as.

EDIT:

ffs
                                                    On that at 26/1. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Comment

lets say we get FG 61, Lab 9, SocDem 6, so they get two or three independents on board. Does our FG/Lab/SD bet win or lose? Wasn't too clear what happens in that case on PP
                                                        I presume you are using those figures for the purpose of finding out the validity of your bet ? They are quite optimistic.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                            On that at 26/1. Fingers crossed.
                                                            Put a saver on that at 25's

Isn't "saver" such a wonderful bit of gambling nonsense!

Tipster puts up a bet, then says have a saver on this one at 6/1 as if "sur that bet on the 12/1 shot is fine now as I have a saver"

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                              Yeah we're screwed. Half of my mates voting Renua ffs. Based on their tax calculator.
                                                              I should too really! My local Rena hopeful is Terence Flanagan who a neighbour described as a "two-faced wanking cunt" however.

Comment

would student you have voted against women's health rights in return for lower tax? Shows the power of tax, i guess.

Here's an example from Graham Linehan of what she is in favour of continuing: http://www.independent.ie/life/healt...-34469017.html
                                                                Definitely! Student me had unrealistic expectations!

Seriously though, they're the only low tax advocates, and the country is moving in the completely opposite direction to her socially, so I doubt she's going to have any effect there.

Comment

Wow, that's a great resource - can't believe the increase in the voting age population over 1992, pretty much an increase of 50%! That is just mind-blowing. Changes a few things in my head, to be honest... can't wait for the results to start coming in, I voted just after 8am, close up those polling stations and get to counting FFS

Comment

I'd happily sacrifice all my bets losing just to see Lucinda miss out on a seat. Chances are I'll lose on all my bets and she'll get a seat though.
                                                                    Last edited by Teddie; 26-02-16, 15:35.

Comment

Just went in on SF under 24.5 - I think that the day of voting really focuses the mind when it comes to fear of trying something new/fear of the unknown, people are apt to go with the familiar if in doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by ionapaul View Post
                                                                        Just went in on SF under 24.5 - I think that the day of voting really focuses the mind when it comes to fear of trying something new/fear of the unknown, people are apt to go with the familiar if in doubt.

Also when the afternoon comes and most of their supporters are just getting out of bed it will probably be raining so that should be a lot of them off voting.

Comment

FG minority is the most logical outcome imo, it's where my money is. Although I also expect Trump to win the presidency by a landslide so I may just have gone mad.
                                                                          Have also backed the FG minority gov once RDIII said it had no chance��. If it was to happen who would be likely for Tánaiste?

FGers quoted in PP next Tánaiste market ;

Frances Fitzgerald 8/1
                                                                          Coveney 14/1
                                                                          Leo 16/1
                                                                          Noonan / Bruton 33/1

Comment

Into 4/1 now, very good.

Coveney I'd say.

Maybe Noonan?

Comment

Into 4/1 now, very good.

Coveney I'd say.

Maybe Noonan?
                                                                              Yeah of the 5 , probably Coveney and Bruton are most dispensable from their ministries. Might have a punt on Coveney and a saver on Bruton / Noonan. I had to look up who was deputy leader of FG , James Reilly remember him.

Comment

I'd have thought Noonan would be too old at this stage. You'd think the party would want one of the one and coming lads to give him more exposure and to appeal to the younger voters. Having two old guys like Kenny and Noonan leading the way would seem like a poor PR decision. Similar problem for Bruton with the added bonus of his trying to oust Kenny. Be amazed if he got it.

Comment

I thought Simon Harris was the golden boy?

Comment

Originally posted by horatio1 View Post
                                                                                    Yeah of the 5 , probably Coveney and Bruton are most dispensable from their ministries. Might have a punt on Coveney and a saver on Bruton / Noonan. I had to look up who was deputy leader of FG , James Reilly remember him.
                                                                                    Doubt it would be Bruton. He ran against him for the leadership before the last Election and allegedly lost by a very small number of votes. No chance of a re count if I remember as the votes were destroyed! I would imagine that is why Bruton lost the finance gig to Noonan.

Wouldn't be Vardakar either as he supported Bruton in the heave. Probably why he got the poisoned chalice of Health after O' Reilly couldn't deliver on anything he promised.

I have a feeling the biggest winner in this election will be Paddy Power.

Comment

SF out to 25.5 again if anyone is looking for a piece.

Comment

...

Comment

Only thing going for Frances is helping with the gender divide.

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                                                            I thought Simon Harris was the golden boy?
                                                                                            The Ryan Tubridy of FG party
                                                                                            Permanent pole stuck up his giddy hole
                                                                                            Fitzgerald should get 2nd in command if they get back in without FF Leo has only her to worry about for the next leader

Comment

Decent weather is dicking me on the turnout bet.

Comment

Originally posted by jack90210 View Post
                                                                                                SF out to 25.5 again if anyone is looking for a piece.
                                                                                                Just reloaded.

Think 25 is the absolute max I can see them getting
                                                                                                His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by AdMMM View Post
                                                                                                  David Cullinane was 20/1 to top the poll in Waterford but is now 14/1. I still think there's a bit of value in that because FG have a massive fight on their hands to keep their second seat meaning they're working hard to manage their vote between their two candidates.

He'll have to poll well to beat John Halligan but I think that will be much closer than the bookies think.
                                                                                                  What price was Mary butler (FF) to top the poll when you posted this Adam? 50/1?

Comment

Sinn Fein PP line now at 23.5

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                                                                      Sinn Fein PP line now at 23.5
                                                                                                      they got an unexpected seat in Offaly, 23 is probably spot on now

Comment

Originally posted by Fonkey View Post
                                                                                                        Joe Carey 3/1 in Clare constituency. Was as big as 5s earlier today. Sitting FG TD. Was 1/10 when market opened and was 1/6 a few days ago. The massive drift is because of a poll of 600 people the local paper ran in this weeks edition that showed him fairing poorly.
                                                                                                        Massive over-reaction to a small size poll. The general consensus was that he could come under pressure to keep his seat but think he may be worth a punt.
                                                                                                        Took the fourth and final seat.

Comment

Yes but FF were a toxic brand that even the most faithful of supporters were almost embarrassed to admit they voted for. Every passing day heaped more bad news on them with no possibility of being able to put forward any redeeming quality to the electorate.

Labour could count themselves a little unfortunate to lose 2/3 of their seats considering the raft of good economic data being released. The pact with FG might be enough to get them over the line in a few tight spots.

I'll take over 11.5 for a € 100
                                                                                                          I'll take the unders, if your happy with that? (Bearing in mind the post just posted above!)
                                                                                                          Spectacularly wrong on this one but at least did see the writing on the wall in time to have a saver on the under 10.5.

Well done Hitch send on the deets.

Comment

Originally posted by Teddie View Post
                                                                                                            I'd happily sacrifice all my bets losing just to see Lucinda miss out on a seat. Chances are I'll lose on all my bets and she'll get a seat though.

Ship the non-monetary loots!

Comment

Spectacularly wrong on this one but at least did see the writing on the wall in time to have a saver on the under 10.5.

Well done Hitch send on the deets.
                                                                                                              Speaking of being spectacularly wrong...

Send on your b/acc details when you get a chance. Well played and cheers for the action.

Comment

Originally posted by shano1888 View Post
                                                                                                                Speaking of being spectacularly wrong...
                                                                                                                .
                                                                                                                that would be all of us!

latest guesstimate is:

Comment

Labour to lose speaking rights it looks like. One TD short with 6

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
                                                                                                                    that would be all of us!

latest guesstimate is:
                                                                                                                    Angle Grinder deserves to win the predictions money even though he wasn't in it.

Comment

Originally posted by KevIRL View Post
                                                                                                                      Labour to lose speaking rights it looks like. One TD short with 6
                                                                                                                      Aodhan O' Riordain should get them over the line.
                                                                                                                      Profit before people.

Comment

...

Comment

Originally posted by The Situation View Post
                                                                                                                          Aodhan O' Riordain should get them over the line.
                                                                                                                          that's my constituency and literally anything could happen yet

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X