Email hacked!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Email hacked!

I just tried half hour ago to sign into my gmail acc.First off I get message 'Your password was changed 1 hour ago.' which I didn't change as I hadn't even logged into since tea time.

So I go through proccess of 'I think i've been hacked' and manage to reset my password after getting a verification code.I was asked which phone no. to send code too,and there were two (shows last three digits only) numbers ,mine and one i didn't know!!

I opened an email two days ago from fedex and only when opened,I realised it looked strange.I wasn't expecting anything and it said my parcell was being held in storage in Canada as i provided wrong address and will be charged $16 a day for storage.No extra links or anything!

First time this has happened and i'm pannicing as i got a sizeable amount online between moneybookers and a few sites!What immediate steps should I take besides changing all passwords.If I delete all mail can the hacker still recover them?

Any advise appreciated,

Tom.

Make sure he cant get your new e-mail password(take the second number off the account and change the password twice or more). And then do the same for your online accounts.

Personally id also open a new e-mail account and change my accounts over to that one,just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanO92 View Post
      Make sure he cant get your new e-mail password(take the second number off the account and change the password twice or more). And then do the same for your online accounts.

Personally id also open a new e-mail account and change my accounts over to that one,just in case.
      Will have to make email for poker related stuff only.Also i checked last ten ip address logins and there is one from the states logged in earlier tonight!

Comment

Most sites should have an on-line verification pin. After my system got hacked, PS were able to tell me the exact logins that took place from different computers, aswell as give me an on screen pin, to block key loggers.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbilko77 View Post
          I just tried half hour ago to sign into my gmail acc.First off I get message 'Your password was changed 1 hour ago.' which I didn't change as I hadn't even logged into since tea time.

So I go through proccess of 'I think i've been hacked' and manage to reset my password after getting a verification code.I was asked which phone no. to send code too,and there were two (shows last three digits only) numbers ,mine and one i didn't know!!

I opened an email two days ago from fedex and only when opened,I realised it looked strange.I wasn't expecting anything and it said my parcell was being held in storage in Canada as i provided wrong address and will be charged $16 a day for storage.No extra links or anything!

First time this has happened and i'm pannicing as i got a sizeable amount online between moneybookers and a few sites!What immediate steps should I take besides changing all passwords.If I delete all mail can the hacker still recover them?

Any advise appreciated,

Tom.
          First off, it's very likely your PC has been rooted.

from a safe machine, go to

from a safe machine, change all your passwords. every one of them that has any link to an account that you can access money from.

download this, then start the machine in safemode with networking (press spacebar immediately after your first splash screen on bootup, then f8 for advanced system functions.

use a memory key to transfer across the malware bytes install files.

This should allow you to clean the infection, although depending on the rootkit it might not get everything.

Then install Microsoft Security Essentials. Scan it again.

If the rootkit can not be removed, it will require a full wipe of your drive and a reinstallation.
          Is that how you crash a wedding? yes it is, Bionic Barry, yes it is.

Comment

For anyone using an email account with gmail they have a 2-step verification security feature which can be added which makes the account virtually unhackable.

These articles are for Google Workspace administrators. Google Workspace users should go to Turn on 2-Step Verification.  You can use 2-Step Verification (2SV) to put an extra barrier between yo

Opr

Comment

Originally posted by Zod View Post
              First off, it's very likely your PC has been rooted.

from a safe machine, go to

from a safe machine, change all your passwords. every one of them that has any link to an account that you can access money from.

download this, then start the machine in safemode with networking (press spacebar immediately after your first splash screen on bootup, then f8 for advanced system functions.

use a memory key to transfer across the malware bytes install files.

This should allow you to clean the infection, although depending on the rootkit it might not get everything.

Then install Microsoft Security Essentials. Scan it again.

If the rootkit can not be removed, it will require a full wipe of your drive and a reinstallation.
              It's basically a new computer only week old,but i will give this a go.Any idea on how to search for a keylogger as my email password was very strong/no clue how it was accessed?

Maybe yourself or someone else here might help me search for a keylogger if it can be done manually ,through skype or teamviewer and i would gladly pay for your time?

thanks for the help!

Edit: I have a 6 digit verification pin no. for my stars acc,so i presume i'm safe there?
              Last edited by sgtbilko77; 19-06-12, 10:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Opr View Post
                For anyone using an email account with gmail they have a 2-step verification security feature which can be added which makes the account virtually unhackable.

These articles are for Google Workspace administrators. Google Workspace users should go to Turn on 2-Step Verification.  You can use 2-Step Verification (2SV) to put an extra barrier between yo

Opr
                I set this up last night after logging out any other users,so basically if I or someone else tries to login from another computer,they will need my phone to enter the pin which as you said is virtually impossible to get around

Comment

It's basically a new computer only week old,but i will give this a go.Any idea on how to search for a keylogger as my email password was very strong/no clue how it was accessed?

Maybe yourself or someone else here might help me search for a keylogger if it can be done manually ,through skype or teamviewer and i would gladly pay for your time?

thanks for the help!

Edit: I have a 6 digit verification pin no. for my stars acc,so i presume i'm safe there?
                  PM me your mobile number and I'll give you a call this evening.

Comment

Pm'd.

Comment

I would like to thank Zod for taking the time to help me out with this.Very much appreciated

Comment

I would like to thank Zod for taking the time to help me out with this.Very much appreciated
                        No worries!

Comment

Working...
                        X