What Book Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
    Cannery Row is one of my all time favourites - probably in my top ten. Slowly making my way through Travels with Charlie, in which Steinbeck documents a drive across America with his dog, Charlie...
    It shouldn't take away from your enjoyment of the book but it's since been proved that Steinbeck made up large chunks of Travels with Charley. The bollix.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Is that Neil Gaiman Book American Gods one that can be read entirely standalone or should there be other of his books read first?

I'm nearly ready for a new book and see that recommended in here and it sounds interesting.

The book I'm nearly finished is called "The first 15 lives of Harry August" by Claire North, and so far it's very good. I have just the very end to go which I'm hoping isn't a let down.

Comment

"We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
          Is that Neil Gaiman Book American Gods one that can be read entirely standalone or should there be other of his books read first?

I'm nearly ready for a new book and see that recommended in here and it sounds interesting.

The book I'm nearly finished is called "The first 15 lives of Harry August" by Claire North, and so far it's very good. I have just the very end to go which I'm hoping isn't a let down.
          lol, just got it myself from the cousins...with about 10 others from him

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
            lol, just got it myself from the cousins...with about 10 others from him
            Very very jealous of anyone discovering Neil Gaiman for the first time - so many excellent books to read, would guess I've been through about half of his, a few will be mentioned in my posts earlier in this thread. Only read Stardust, the book the movie was based on, in 2015 I think and it is soooooo much better than the fairly-good film

Comment

Wife and sister in law are huge Neil Gaiman fans. American Gods has been on my to read list for a while now after a recommendation from herself so seems like it stacks up based on this.

On a side note, his wife Amanda Palmer was giving a talk at the Dalkey Book Festival last year. I said I would go along with herself and brought one of his books for my sister in law on the chance that he turned up. While Amanda Palmer was signing books after the talk he stood away from the crowd inside. I took a chance and found him explaining it was her favourite book of all time and asking would he mind signing it for her. Not only did he take the time to sign it but drew a small illustration with a personalised message for her. Seemed like a really nice chap on top of it all.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                Would love to read more non-fiction, but its hard at night when you just want a little fantasy escape.
                My current non-fiction jam is Richard Olney's The French Menu Cookbook.

He seems a bit like a precursor to Keith Floyd but maybe less wild and slightly more erudite.

This was published in 1970 and he died in 1999. This Guardian article will give you a good feel for him.

Amazing writing, you can just dip in and out of hundreds of recipes, cultural observations and beautifully precise and evocative descriptions of time and place.

I've just been leaving it lying around the house and reading a page or two at a time.

Brilliant stuff. And maybe one day i'll even try to make something from it.
                Last edited by BennyHiFi; 07-01-16, 21:45.

Comment

Finished a Feast for Crows at the weekend. Have dance of dragons ready to go but wary of starting it. Was reading about George RR Martin's recent rumblings about not having next book finished,odds must be pretty good he never releases the next one? From what I've heard Dance of Dragons is pretty bloated\aimless ? Enjoyed Feast but not sure I could wade through lesser books when there is unlikely to be a payoff.

Heard he had wanted to shift the story forward 5 to ten years at the start of 4th book but ended up not doing so. He really has left himself with it all to do to bring closure to the sprawling complex mess at the current rate of progress

Comment

Has anyone read purity by Johnathan Frantzen? Kind of enjoyed Freedom but wasn't that exactly amped to go out and binge on the rest of his stuff either

Comment

I finished Andre Agassi's autobiography at the weekend. I wouldn't have a huge interest in tennis but this was a great read. Very honest account of his career and personal life. One of the better sports books I've read. Highly recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                        I'll go with
                        [LIST=1][*]High Rise -JG Ballard -Revisiting this after 30 plus years it felt very different than it did originally, not what you would call a good read it is a quite discombobulating read. Nowadays I wouldn't only just about put it in it in Ballards top 5 but that is plenty to get it into the best 5 I've read in any year. That the physical world it envisages has been built in the meantime makes the psychosexual landscape he creates all the more at reading a downloaded copy of it.
                        Just finished this, my first time to read, thoroughly enjoyed, thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Just about to finish A Clash of Kings (A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Book 2) for the second time.
                          I've read books 1-4, and started to re-read from the beginning while I was waiting to get book 5 (ADWD). It's amazing how much extra you pick up the second time around. I suppose a large part of that is down not have to establish all the family/political/geographical connections in your head and you can pick up on the subtle details. It's also a lot easier to handle the casual mentioning of characters who don't really appear until later in the series.

I'll probably make a start of book 5 after this, but I imagine I'll get books 3 and 4 (both massive) before book 6 makes an appearance on the shelves.

Comment

I'd say you'll have time to read them all a few times before book 6 is released.

Comment

I finished Stephen King's The Stand (the complete version, which he amended about a decade after the book was first released I think) last night - really enjoyed it, apart from the Dark Tower series it's only the 2nd King novel I've read. I remember watching the mini-series on Sky back in the day (in my mind this occurred soon after Sky appeared, they made a big deal of broadcasting it) and so was somewhat familiar with the premise. It's a long one, but fairly flies along, not too dense thankfully.

I'm also coming to the end of In The Shadow of the Sword: The Battle for Global Empire and the End of the Ancient World by historian Tom Holland. Am enjoying it, though am aware it wasn't received without some attacks from those who disagreed with his 'revisionist' viewpoint. I've read a few historical bits on Islam, Arabia and the rise of the various Muslim empires, this period of history is really fascinating to me as of course so many events and movements still resonate in today's crazy world.

Comment

Originally posted by 5starpool View Post
                                I'd say you'll have time to read them all a few times before book 6 is released.
                                Yeah, the date will keep sliding. I imagine it will be 2nd quarter this year.
                                Tbh I haven't finished book 5 so I'm can't really pretend to be frustrated by the delays.

Also, he gets a lot of stick about being a slow writer/publisher compared to other. But I seen a graph that suggested his writing speed in terms of pages was similar to Rowling, Tolkien, Lewis, etc. I bet if you took it in terms of words it would leap ahead. They are really huge compared to the average book.

Comment

Reading 'Use of Weapons' at the moment. Only a small ways in so haven't quite been hooked yet, but Zakalwe seems like a pretty cool character!

Comment

Almost finished the Second of The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, and just found out it's been optioned for TV & a movie �� hopefully won't lead to g.r.r.m levels of delays in the 3rd book.

Really enjoyed the books either way, read the first in a couple of days last week and tearing through the second one now.
                                    Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Originally posted by Iago View Post
                                      Almost finished the Second of The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss, and just found out it's been optioned for TV & a movie �� hopefully won't lead to g.r.r.m levels of delays in the 3rd book.

Really enjoyed the books either way, read the first in a couple of days last week and tearing through the second one now.
                                      there already are. We've been waiting 5 years already for book 3

Comment

Originally posted by shrapnel View Post
                                        there already are. We've been waiting 5 years already for book 3
                                        Uuuuugggh I thought the second was only published in 2013, with the 3rd well on the way at this stage.

This is why I've taken to only reading collections when they're finished, between The Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice & Fire & now this you would lose the will to live

Going to start The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson next, maybe tackle some Neil Gaimon after that.
                                        Last edited by Iago; 29-02-16, 14:39.

Comment

Uuuuugggh I thought the second was only published in 2013, with the 3rd well on the way at this stage.

This is why I've taken to only reading collections when they're finished, between The Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice & Fire & now this you would lose the will to live

Going to start The Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson next, maybe tackle some Neil Gaimon after that.
                                          i'm sure it is well on its way, it's just not finished!!

Sanderson is one of my pet hates. Absolutely hate his style of writing and won't be reading any more. I think he's a marmite kind of author though. I'm definitely in the hate category

Just finished American Gods by Gaiman touted on here. Fantastic book.

Comment

Yeah Rothfuss seems like a fucking goon tbh. Massive waiting times between his books even though he claims he has had them all written since before he could walk. Self-important clown, the dislike for whom was actually seeping through a little bit and slightly tainted my enjoyment of the second book (which I think I might actually have preferred to the first one, can't quite remember).

That said, good books, would enjoy seeing a version of them on the screen.

Comment

Just finished reading the Leftovers by Tom Perotta whch is the book that the TV show is based on. Its ok, I doubt I would have finished it without having seen the TV show which takes the story off in a different direction and IMO makes the characters far more entertaining.
                                              That said the book is a more interesting take on what the GR are and its very surprising to me that the TV show omits the 'big thing' about them that the book builds climaxes with.

Recently read a book by Eric Ambler called A Coffin for Dimitros an odd sort of thriller a bit of thin man meets the 39 steps cris crossing Eastern Europe in the 1930's.
                                              Would highly recommend, I'm looking forward to reading more by him.
                                              Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Keane View Post
                                                Reading 'Use of Weapons' at the moment. Only a small ways in so haven't quite been hooked yet, but Zakalwe seems like a pretty cool character!
                                                Think I reached the hook point last night, happy days

Comment

Did ye not find the writing in 'American Gods' like something a 14 year old would come out with?

Comment

Also, Jesus Christ but unless there ends up being some unbelievably clever reason for calling the main character 'Shadow' that decision is one of the worst I've seen from an author in a long time.

Comment

Reading the Sports Gene as recommended in BBV.
                                                      Fascinating reading.
                                                      Weird to think eugenics may make a comeback
                                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

The dress lodger by sheri coleman.

It's about victorian prostitution in sunderland and the ebola virus outbreak there. She's a very good writer. Not for everyone but a lot of interesting details abot the time and place.

Comment

Originally posted by PeaceandFire View Post
                                                          It's about victorian prostitution in sunderland and the ebola virus outbreak there
                                                          She should have researched her material better

Comment

Wheel of time finished up a couple of years ago.

Am reading Mistborn series myself... Kinda like his style and is fun read, but seems a little drawn out...

Edit: just checked, only 3/4 of the way though... Sheeh!!

Oh, and yeah, Fuck Ruthfoss
                                                            No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                              Wheel of time finished up a couple of years ago.

Am reading Mistborn series myself... Kinda like his style and is fun read, but seems a little drawn out...

Edit: just checked, only 3/4 of the way though... Sheeh!!

Oh, and yeah, Fuck Ruthfoss
                                                              I know, but I read the first one when it was first published started to lose the will to live by book 8 and never went back to it as a result.

I agree with the drawn out part on Mistborn, I'm about halfway through book 3 at this point. First one I really enjoyed, second was good, I'm struggling with this 3rd one but that might just be my low attention span at the moment Will finish it and decide then whether to get into the second trilogy or not.

Comment

I know, but I read the first one when it was first published started to lose the will to live by book 8 and never went back to it as a result.

I agree with the drawn out part on Mistborn, I'm about halfway through book 3 at this point. First one I really enjoyed, second was good, I'm struggling with this 3rd one but that might just be my low attention span at the moment Will finish it and decide then whether to get into the second trilogy or not.
                                                                There's a second trilogy

Probably will take a break from him for a couple of months after I finish reading the current series but will end up reading it.

Not sure what I will read after him though... I do have a book I Am Pligram that has been gathering dust which I never got around to reading properly... Unless there is a new "great read" out there that someone recommend?
                                                                No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity, but I know none, therefore am no beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                  She should have researched her material better
                                                                  Sorry cholera not ebola. Meh 1832 is very well researched!

Comment

What's the consensus on the Michael Connelly crime collection? I thought I had heard they were good but I got through about 70 pages of Nine Dragons there and it reads rather annoyingly, over emphasising basic points and the descriptive elements seem so forced. Maybe I've read too much Steinbeck. Going to stick with it as I'm optimistic there'll at least be some excitement.

Comment

off on hols next week bought a few books. ( only time I read anymore) anyone read these

Her sky-ness
                                                                      © 5starpool

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                        Maybe I've read too much Steinbeck.

Hard to see how anyone could read too much Steinbeck!

Comment

Did ye not find the writing in 'American Gods' like something a 14 year old would come out with?
                                                                          I just read the first two chapters of this and came in here to post ask this exact question. Well I was actually gonna say a 16 year old, don't think I'll bother picking it up again.

Comment

Took a few months off after count of monte cristo, next up is moby dick. See ye in a few months.
                                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug View Post
                                                                              Took a few months off after count of monte cristo, next up is moby dick. See ye in a few months.
                                                                              Enjoy it!
                                                                              I thought you were reading mine!
                                                                              This is a Shashka. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN3uhImuy6E Ty Menya Ne Ishi. Ti menya ne stoish. 'Do not look for me you are not worthy of me.'

Comment

Originally posted by FeetMagic View Post
                                                                                What's the consensus on the Michael Connelly crime collection? I thought I had heard they were good but I got through about 70 pages of Nine Dragons there and it reads rather annoyingly, over emphasising basic points and the descriptive elements seem so forced. Maybe I've read too much Steinbeck. Going to stick with it as I'm optimistic there'll at least be some excitement.
                                                                                They are best read in the order they are written. Whilst the crimes in each book are generally standalone the Bosch story itself is a continuation - Nine Dragons makes much more sense if you've started with Black Echo and thus know the back story of Bosch and in particular his early relationship with Eleanor Wish.
                                                                                Reading them out of order causes other problem, e.g., someone he works with constructively for 3 books may eventually turn out to be a murderer which spoils it if you read the latter book first.

Personally think they are excellent but like any long running book/tv series there are definitely ups and downs in quality (don't particularly like 9 Dragons myself as think the books work best when he is in his usual California/Nevada locale).

Comment

Originally posted by ArmaniJeans View Post
                                                                                  They are best read in the order they are written.
                                                                                  They are very easy but compulsive reads IMO.
                                                                                  I got carried away reading them one after another for a while and enjoy them much more by putting them away for a while and coming back to them.

9 dragons in particular can only be read in the context of the series.

Comment

Last night I finished a great read

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

Its the story of the family of a batshit crazy southern US baptist revival preacher who brings his wife and four daughters to the Congo in the early 60's.
                                                                                    It is as much a social commentary on western relationships with post colonial Africa as a family drama. Its told in the voices of the daughters and wife all of whom are brilliantly written so that you are never for a moment confused about whose version you are hearing. Its quite a long book but it moves along at a good pace and kept me entertained the whole way.

Highly recommended.

Comment

Also, Jesus Christ but unless there ends up being some unbelievably clever reason for calling the main character 'Shadow' that decision is one of the worst I've seen from an author in a long time.
                                                                                      It is teenage fiction and none the worse for it. His writing is very much the kind where you have to suspend disbelief and go with the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                                                                                        It is teenage fiction and none the worse for it. His writing is very much the kind where you have to suspend disbelief and go with the flow.
                                                                                        I didn't mind the whimsy of the story so much as the prose itself, which I found obnoxiously bad.

Comment

This book is a beautiful, brutal, compelling American Classic. Some long descriptive passages on the intricacies of whaling, but deep insight into the human psyche/condition.

Comment

Originally posted by colm_leche View Post
                                                                                            This book is a beautiful, brutal, compelling American Classic. Some long descriptive passages on the intricacies of whaling, but deep insight into the human psyche/condition.
                                                                                            Onto page 2 now, hoping to keep this pace up.

I got it for €3.15 downstairs in Easons(entire section of classics for 3.15), couldn't really resist it at that price. Small writing and a shit tonne of pages though, realistic aim is to finish it by end of the year in all honesty
                                                                                            Go big or go homeless.

Comment

Good book.
                                                                                              Everything will be fine.

Comment

Reading Shutter Island at the moment funnily enough. The book is very enjoyable but the movie was too.
                                                                                                Cross post from BBV. Finished the above and thought it was very entertaining.

Started Animal Farm since I haven't read it in years, surprised at how short it is!

Comment

Finished Orb, Sceptre, Throne at 4am. Started the next in the series, Blood and Stone (later) this morning. I must be about 5 million words into this series, which is kind of crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                                                                                                    Finished Orb, Sceptre, Throne at 4am. Started the next in the series, Blood and Stone (later) this morning. I must be about 5 million words into this series, which is kind of crazy.
                                                                                                    I've only read the main ten, are the rest of them worthwhile?

Comment

I've only read the main ten, are the rest of them worthwhile?
                                                                                                      I would consider them "not as good but still really really good", yes from me. It's great to hear more about Kellvaned and Dancer, the Crimson guard, a whole book based around the Seguleh, more from Dassem and so on.
                                                                                                      Also cool to get backstories about stuff you've read. They do add to the universe quite significantly.
                                                                                                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 10-10-16, 14:03.

Comment

Have tried to start Malazan about 4 times now and still haven't managed to make it through the character appendix at the start of Gardens of the Moon

Comment

Originally posted by davepoke/her View Post
                                                                                                          Have tried to start Malazan about 4 times now and still haven't managed to make it through the character appendix at the start of Gardens of the Moon
                                                                                                          You should consider skipping that bit.

Comment

The second book was written 9 years after the first, he's really improved, so there is better pacing in the appendix.

Comment

Currently reading John Kavanaghs autobiography, a copy of Men's Fitness health from last month I still haven't finished, and a Eddie's Bravo's Rubber Guard book that FD/Hitch fount for me on the internet last year.

Game of Thrones books really commanded all of my reading for a long while. And I just realised that I paused my re-read at Feast For Crows

Comment

Originally posted by Mellor View Post
                                                                                                                Currently reading John Kavanaghs autobiography, a copy of Men's Fitness health from last month I still haven't finished, and a Eddie's Bravo's Rubber Guard book that FD/Hitch fount for me on the internet last year.

Game of Thrones books really commanded all of my reading for a long while. And I just realised that I paused my re-read at Feast For Crows
                                                                                                                I am rereading them now. Did read the Hedge Knight trilogy there. Enjoyed them. Back reading A Storm of Swords. Read them backwards as there was some things I must have missed.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                  I am rereading them now. Did read the Hedge Knight trilogy there. Enjoyed them. Back reading A Storm of Swords. Read them backwards as there was some things I must have missed.
                                                                                                                  Hedge Knight trilogy? Who wrote that?.

Can safely recommend the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. A very easy fun read and doesnt tax the brain at all, but enjoyable.

Comment

Onto page 2 now, hoping to keep this pace up.

I got it for €3.15 downstairs in Easons(entire section of classics for 3.15), couldn't really resist it at that price. Small writing and a shit tonne of pages though, realistic aim is to finish it by end of the year in all honesty
                                                                                                                    How's Moby dick?
                                                                                                                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                                                                                                                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

About a third of the way into "Children of time" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Really enjoyable so far. Very Good Sci-Fi.

Comment

Originally posted by pokerhand View Post
                                                                                                                        Hedge Knight trilogy? Who wrote that?.

Can safely recommend the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. A very easy fun read and doesnt tax the brain at all, but enjoyable.
                                                                                                                        It is G R R Martin books, set 100 years before Game of Thrones. It is about Ser Duncan the Tall and Aegon Targaryen. (Aegon V)

Comment

Originally posted by MrsFlushdraw View Post
                                                                                                                          I reread in order. Definitely loads I picked up second time aroond.
                                                                                                                          There's a chapter list for Feast of Crows and Dance with Dragons that jumps between books putting the chapters in chronological order. I think I'll give that a shot for those two.

Will probably read the hedge knight trilogy too. There's two other novellas princess & the queen, and the rogue prince but I don't think they'be been published solo yet

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X