Clothes make the man.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
    This could descend into a V for Vendetta towel-esque scenario but here goes.

I want to buy a warm hat for the winter. It will mainly be used for walking kids to school and myself to\from work.

Main criteria should be that it is very fucking warm.
    Also looks reasonably smart and can be mashed into a coat pocket.

What is my best option?
    Not easy imo. Especially to get a decent hat for going to the office. I have a purple Boss knitted beanie hat and a felt hat for the more formal look. I have a few others for just regular Autumn walks etc. Still not overly happy. I think it's a tricky one.

Got myself a nice cashmere scarf last winter. Winner.
    ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser soze View Post
      Could someone tell me a good place to buy Barbour clothing in Dublin apart from Brown Thomas. Thanks.
      Arnotts or House of Ireland do a fair bit of Barbour.
      ‘IF YOU had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” Genghis Khan

Comment

Recommendation for buying good quality (stylish) ties in dublin? Probably nowhere and I will have to do online but may as well ask. I will probably be dressed like this so fire away:

This could descend into a V for Vendetta towel-esque scenario but here goes.

I want to buy a warm hat for the winter. It will mainly be used for walking kids to school and myself to\from work.

Main criteria should be that it is very fucking warm.
        Also looks reasonably smart and can be mashed into a coat pocket.

What is my best option?
        Do yourself a favour and get a King & Fifth hat:

King & Fifth specializes in the Best Beanies & Hats for Men and Women. Shop a diverse collection of Mens Beanies, Fashion Baseball Caps, Athletic Workout Hats, Summer Beanies, Performance Hats, Mens Beanies, Slouchy Beanies, Lightweight Beanies, Golf Hats, and Womens Beanies.

Also their scarves are very warm, have 4 hats and two scarves from them, the infinity scarves are seriously warm.
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 15-10-15, 22:04.

Comment

For ties I like Drakes handmade and charvet. Both readily available in BT. But I don't think our tastes are very similar Tar.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny Crane View Post
            I think so.

I popped into the Zegna measuring today just to find out the details. It's definitely a case of "it you have to ask", but I did anyway.

Suits start (!!) at 2.2k, coats 3.5k, shirts 300.
            There's a guy recommended by permanent style in the UK doing bespoke suits for 1200 sterling plus that I'm going to book in with in the new year. I'll be heading to London regularly in the New Year so I can start a few bespoke clothes projects that require a few fittings. I'm seriously looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by V for Vendetta View Post
              For ties I like Drakes handmade and charvet. Both readily available in BT. But I don't think our tastes are very similar Tar.
              compounded by me not wearing silk or wool actually, will check those out though!

Comment

I don't understand ties. Never wear them, what sets apart great ties from average?

Comment

I don't understand ties. Never wear them, what sets apart great ties from average?
                  For most Irish men, the ability to tie them.
                  "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Level of impact. It's a complex calculation.
                    X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
                    Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

50-100 you are getting better construction and materials, above that you are just paying for a brand. You can get perfectly good ties for like 15 but can be hit and miss https://www.thetiebar.com/

As for what to look out for, there are a few things apart from texture and pattern blah blah. There are some variations on how these are done:
                      The Keeper: Strip of fabric at the back that keeps your back blade in place
                      The Tip: Material used to finish the backside of the tie’s end. This should be a few inches, if it goes to the knot the tie was made badly. If it is untipped, the edges are either sewn flat or hand rolled and hand sewn ( like the edges of a pocket square). This matters because it can tell you things about the tie. If it's handrolled and there are wrinkles or dimples on the front of the tie then teh tie was made badly.
                      The stitching and the interlining. The interlining helps the tie keep shape, to drape on you, and to shake out wrinkles after it has been worn.

Anyway for the general guy the main thing is they correspond roughly to your lapel width and your weight, rest is fairly unnoticeable. A 4.25" power tie would look like a bib on us.
                      Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-10-15, 09:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                        Do the math.
                        Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by Strewelpeter View Post
                          Do the math.
                          Will setup a webpage, lot of data required before the calculation can be made.

Comment

Have a wedding coming up, wearing light grey suit, thoughts on light blue /navy polka dot tie? Thinking chestnut brown shoes and belt as black is getting boring.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
                              Have a wedding coming up, wearing light grey suit, thoughts on light blue /navy polka dot tie? Thinking chestnut brown shoes and belt as black is getting boring.

https://instagram.com/p/7tB1IfgZtP/
                              a belt with a suit

horrible fashion faux pas.

Comment

Do tailors mark do shirts you can wear with jeans etc without having to tuck them into your pants. The only time I ever tuck anything in is when wearing a suit

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Sir Business View Post
                                  Impact is measured not calculated.

Comment

Originally posted by PSV58 View Post
                                    Do tailors mark do shirts you can wear with jeans etc without having to tuck them into your pants. The only time I ever tuck anything in is when wearing a suit
                                    Yeah you can change the style of the cut from a modern straight (for wearing untucked) to a traditional style

Comment

Originally posted by Allez Les Verts View Post
                                      a belt with a suit

horrible fashion faux pas.
                                      Wait til you see my current tie of consideration
                                      Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Never heard that about suits wut

Comment

On ties.

Comment

The smell of bullshit runs deep in that one
                                          Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Wait til you see my current tie of consideration
                                            Shopify provides a reliable Ecommerce platform so you focus on selling online! Integrated hosting, shopping cart and Ecommerce payment solution all in one!

Never heard that about suits wut

https://instagram.com/p/7tB1IfgZtP/
                                            Would have thought that'd suit a summer wedding better but I dress like an old man so don't mind me

Comment

One does not wear a belt to hold anything up, that is like wearing a watch to know the time.

Oh everything here suits a summer wedding better but I don't really like more boring winter things people do. I think the last one I posted is a bit much out of summer though.

Comment

just get one of those preknotted ones, elasticated

Comment

Some of the ties there are crap and do turn out looking cheap yeah, some are just fine. They are reviewed extensively. Some of these ties are €15, some are over €200. Reviewer found no meaningful difference:

Is a €15 euro tie as good as a €50-100 tie in general? No. They are not suitable for every occasion, for fashion they are fine, for some ostentatious client/meeting, not so much.
                                                  However a little above that a brand such as the knottery puts out ties for $35 dollars that are on par with Viola, Milano, Drakes, Vanda, wang constructionwise, etc
                                                  Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 16-10-15, 14:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                                                    no you can not get a perfectly good tie for 15 quid. you will get a piece of shit. it wont hold an "impactful' knot and you will look like you have a court appearance rather than a career.
                                                    Ties are the new wine I see. You'd probably struggle to tell the difference on balance.

Comment

Some of the ties there are crap and do turn out looking cheap yeah, some are just fine. They are reviewed extensively. Some of these ties are €15, some are over €200. Reviewer found no meaningful difference:

Is a €15 euro tie as good as a €50-100 tie in general? No. They are not suitable for every occasion, for fashion they are fine, for some ostentatious client/meeting, not so much.
                                                      However a little above that a brand such as the knottery puts out ties for $35 dollars that are on par with Viola, Milano, Drakes, Vanda, wang constructionwise, etc
                                                      So it's kind of like those people who insist HD makes a massive difference to your sport viewing experience, when it actually means fuck all except you can bow count the blades of grass?

Comment

Pick the expensive tie out of a lineup comp at the next Horsehead elite dinner obv

Comment

Pick the expensive tie out of a lineup comp at the next Horsehead elite dinner obv
                                                          may set something up online for lols, may not bother tbf.

Comment

Hard to tell anything with those masks on tbf

Comment

So it's kind of like those people who insist HD makes a massive difference to your sport viewing experience, when it actually means fuck all except you can bow count the blades of grass?
                                                              Yeah, pretty much you do get better material and construction up to a point and after that it's brand masturbation.

It's knowing why clothes work they do that matters, most people think throwing money at everything makes it better and often it does. But they don't know why, so frequently people are just taken for a ride.

Hard to tell anything with those masks on tbf
                                                              Was playing a boardgame the other day and saw the "corporate party card", reminded me of your illustrious dinners

Comment

Woop, ordered this from Equus. Next few weeks are going to be like Christmas, more belts from Equus and Worcestershire, watch strap from Equus, shirts from S & G, another round of shirts from Tailors Mark, and some bits and pieces from Zegna. This thread is killing me!

Comment

Reading about clothes is a harsh mistress, currently on a train to Westport and just got off the phone with Tsb account security explaining that a few grand in transactions to American mensware sites I just made was not somebody hijacking my card and to unfreeze my account so I can buy ties, great looks from the denizens

Comment

The making of an alligator skin watch strap Equus. https://vimeo.com/141419173
                                                                    I am no watch expert, but I think they missed out a couple of important earlier steps in the process there. Would quite liked to have seen it included with that genteel music.

Comment

Originally posted by hotspur View Post
                                                                      I am no watch expert, but I think they missed out a couple of important earlier steps in the process there. Would quite liked to have seen it included with that genteel music.
                                                                      'First, catch your alligator'.

Comment

How many shirts do you own?

Insert the americam psycho opening monologue quote

Comment

Those lads wear shirts to work, I imagine they own more shirts than I do socks. I own 20 or more as I like them for work but very few are formal.

New shoes day for me, wedding clothes coming together.

Also got these with matching belt:

Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 19-10-15, 09:08.

Comment

Taken from BA over the road:

Some already sold out, as they're going pretty fast.
                                                                            There are too many to price compare, but the cheapest I've found, are around £55GBP.
                                                                            I only really compared on Amazon TBH. Maybe cheaper elsewhere.

26 Models to choose from altogether.

Example of some prices:
                                                                            Lee Men's Down Regular Fit Parka Long Sleeve Jacket - starting at £74GBP.
                                                                            Lee Women's Parka Long Sleeve Jacket - Starting at £122.50GBP

NEW Lee Winter Jacket Parka Coat Ladies & Men's Fall Leisure Outdoor Sale - €44.99 + €9.99 Shipping.

Think I'll pick up a jacket, I've nothing but really casual and really formal
                                                                            People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                                                            Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                                                            https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

One of my favourite clothing brands, get your pretentious viewing spectacles on

The ongoing collaboration: Brave GentleMan x Novacas, brings you strong, supple, hi-tech Italian-milled future-leather & future-suede shoes and boots. Out fo...
                                                                              Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 31-10-15, 16:28.

Comment

Bought one of them Secrid wallets. Nice yoke. Thanks IPB for costing me more money.

Comment

I got an offer on Facebook from asuitthatfits for two 'bespoke' suits and shirts for 800. I'd be a tad suspicious...

Comment

I got an offer on Facebook from asuitthatfits for two 'bespoke' suits and shirts for 800. I'd be a tad suspicious...
                                                                                    Would it be any worse than RTW at the same price point? A 400 canvas glued ready to wear suit isn't exactly great quality either and I say this as the owner and wearer of same. I'd love to see one of these MTM online suits in reality for comparison.

Calling it bespoke is bollix but that's marketing.

Comment

I was in visiting Tutty's today. I was interested in getting handmade shoes but ended up leaving with an order for orthopaedic insoles. He wasn't really interesting in selling me a pair of shoes. Just one of those really pleasant experiences of talking to someone that's really on top of their craft. Imagine I'll probably end up ordering something next time. Would highly recommend him.
                                                                                      Last edited by Denny Crane; 18-11-15, 16:14.

Comment

How much were the insoles? I should get new ones.

Random question, any other shops like allsaints in Dublin?
                                                                                        Picked these up yesteday, they are so comfortable and lovely to look at, oh yes.

Comment

Bought this knitted bordeaux tie today in Reiss. Anyone who says all ties are the same have never felt these bad boys around the neck.
                                                                                          Bit on the expensive side at 90e but to look sharpe it's worth it

We're very sorry, the page that you have requested could not be found or the URL has been typed incorrectly. Please try some of our popular searches.
                                                                                          Attached Files
                                                                                          Last edited by gazman59; 18-11-15, 16:03.

Comment

How much were the insoles?
                                                                                            350 no idea if that's competitive. Can claim 20% back on tax anyway.

Comment

350 no idea if that's competitive. Can claim 20% back on tax anyway.
                                                                                              wtf? 350 for a pair of insoles??? boom times are back!

Comment

I need help in the trouser department.

Where to buy good quality trousers that I can wear to work with nice shirt\shoes. Rarely meet clients so the full impactful look is not required.
                                                                                                I don't like chinos either.

Comment

Got a pair of Jasper Conran trousers in Debenhams a week ago which are pretty nice. Look v. good with brown shoes especially. Look good too with White/Blue shirts.

Similar to these

Comment

I need help in the trouser department.

Where to buy good quality trousers that I can wear to work with nice shirt\shoes. Rarely meet clients so the full impactful look is not required.
                                                                                                    I don't like chinos either.
                                                                                                    Brax trousers are a bit different. Personally like my green trousers!

Comment

Brax are chinos. Hard to say they are anything different. They are nice though, have been through a few pairs of them myself.
                                                                                                      Yeah they are but rather than give up on chinos entirely I think he just needs to find a brand that works for him. Chinos really are the best option for this sort of smart casual work look.

Comment

Yeah they are but rather than give up on chinos entirely I think he just needs to find a brand that works for him. Chinos really are the best option for this sort of smart casual work look.
                                                                                                        Two pairs of chinos can be so different as to not even deserve the same name of trouser. Chino and OCBD are pretty much the best smart casual. Something like these are great and most likely the most comfortable trousers you've worn.

Material for the city. Mostly clothing but also bags, accessories and anything else we want to experiment with. Outlier was founded by Abe Burmeister and Tyler Clemens in 2008 and based in New York City. Design direction by Willie Norris.

Comment

Bit the bullet on this folio, been looking for one for a while so treated myself to it as an Xmas present coming back through Heathrow this evening.

http://www.smythson.com/eur/brown-ma...-folder-1.html
                                                                                                          Very nice. I'll have to see it in the flesh sometime.

Comment

Very curious about the pricing of their refill pads.

Comment

...
                                                                                                              "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

That 85gsm will cost ye.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
                                                                                                                  You mean you want to know about the pricing? A mere €40 for an A4 refill pad...

http://www.smythson.com/eur/statione...r-refills.html
                                                                                                                  More what you're getting for that!

Comment

...
                                                                                                                    "We're not f*cking Burundi" - Big Phil

Comment

Would you not go for this one you cheap cunt.

Comment

Went in today to pick up my S & G and Zegna gear. The Zegna stuff was great but the shirt was a really poor fit. I was expecting the guy to instantly say as much when he saw it but he tried to placate me a bit at first. The S&G shirts were noticeably better, but still a bit too large. They're all going to be adjusted (and I wont have to take the Zegna shirt if I'm not happy) but I honestly think I've a better fit from my Tailor's mark shirts.

Perhaps I was expecting too much from the first fit, but was left a bit disappointed.

edit: Zegna shirt went back. The two trousers though are astounding, really happy with them. S & G shirts are great after the alterations, they really seem to have a very different construction to the TM shirts.
                                                                                                                        Last edited by Denny Crane; 17-12-15, 13:47.

Comment

Someone in the BBV recommended Homeys for slippers I just took delivery of a pair today and I'm pretty impressed.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X