This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hitchhiker's Guide To... View Post
    I'm too long in France to be reading this and thinking: wow, he was able to eat before 7:30pm and on a Sunday! Kebab shops and McDonalds are the only thing ever opened here before 7:30, and on Sundays even the kebab shops will take the day off.
    Yeah, I remember years ago in Paris visiting a mate for a long weekend and on the Sunday I got up early and went out to get stuff for breakfast, thought it would be nice for everyone else in the gaff to wake up to it as they had put me up for the weekend.

Everywhere was fucking closed, must have walked around for almost an hour before I managed to find one or two really small places open where I was able to cobble together all the required items for breakfast, fuck me it was painful.

Comment

Restaurant: Liath (Formerly Heron & Grey)

Address : Blackrock Market

Price : €€

It's weird how fast time flies, but it's been just over two years since I've eaten in Heron & Grey.

It doesn't feel that long but in that time, the partnership has split up, the restaurant has closed and reopened, it's been renamed Liath, they've had a major renovation and have had their Michelin Star automatically reinstated.

I haven't got to see the renovations in person and it could be a while before that happens due to the current circumstances but tonight I got to eat their food in an unorthodox method.

Liath has started to do Liathtogo, a service where you can collect a three course meal that with a little bit of assembling and cooking at home (full instructions given) you can have three of their courses from some of their tasting menus. The price comes in at 33 quid a head which overall is a fairly reasonable price.

The starter was Smoked Eel, Baby Gem, Aged Parmesan and was all just assembly. You had to marinate the shallots, quenelle the smoked eel paste and lash all the ingredients together. You then use baby gem lettuce, lightly salted, as your taco to put it all together before shoving it in your gob. It was really rich and the baby gem taco idea is pure genius.

This is how it looked before we put it into the baby gem lettuce.

SPOILER[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200423/ca3aa847996f7d0b9f2289857f4bf9d9.jpg[/IMG]

The main was Beef Ragu Ravioli, Pancetta, Black Truffle.

There was slightly more work to this course whereby you had to fry off the pancetta, add in a sauce to it, heat up some cep paste, boil the ravioli and then plate it up.

I thought that I had made a mess of it and split the sauce but upon sticking it up on Instagram (The best looking plate wins a free meal for two), Liath responded to say, that's actually exactly how it's meant to look (I read instructions good). It tasted deeeelsih.

SPOILER[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200423/a885f9283c09d460222d27435c2852a0.jpg[/IMG]

For desert, it was Rose Panacotta, Rhubarb, Amaretti Crumble

This was the simpliest of all courses and again was just assembly although getting the panacotta out of the tub was a slightly delicate process.

It looked and tasted great.

SPOILER[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200423/165e4fb62c4c77aed014f8e499ff113a.jpg[/IMG]

We washed the whole meal down with a decent bottle of plonk from Bordeaux.

I'm not going to lie to you, I've had worse Thursdays nights.

Comment

Working...
      X