Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The IPB collective has a very low opinion of sommeliers.

Justifiably so.
    "We are not Europeans. Those people on the continent are freaks."

Comment

Originally posted by Raoul Duke III View Post
      The IPB collective has a very low opinion of sommeliers.

Justifiably so.
      If you ever find yourself in Killarney, check out the Killarney Wine Rooms in The Malton Hotel and ask for Massimo. He will go some way to changing your opinion on sommeliers, although I think a lot of damage has been done by reading previous posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Rosa View Post
        3 courses for a tenner? That's cheaper than rats with curry sauce they are serving on Moore St. I'd stay away from anywhere that cheap tbh.
        I get 2 courses and a coffee for 10 at lunch in an Italian near work, it's fantastic, I recommend their pizza as the best in the city. Enoteca Torino. All italian, trained in Italy. http://www.wallacewinebars.ie/

Grass fed is leaner, more nutritious, has a different texture and is just better really.Seems like an odd choice, but as the vegan, I digress.
        Last edited by Tar.Aldarion; 25-06-14, 19:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Tar.Aldarion View Post
          I get 2 courses and a coffee for 10 at lunch in an Italian near work, it's fantastic, I recommend their pizza as the best in the city. Enoteca Torino. All italian, trained in Italy. http://www.wallacewinebars.ie/

Grass fed is leaner, more nutritious, has a different texture and is just better really.Seems like an odd choice, but as the vegan, I digress.

X can be anything, any number, that is what’s CRAZY about X.
          Because X doesn’t roll like that, because X can’t be pinned down!

$ Free Travel Credit with Airbnb $

Comment

Lets buy it

Comment

Is Mick Wallace grass fed or corn fed?

Comment

Opted for Shanahans tonight instead of Fitz EOM. Will probably work out cheaper than the monthly €270 roast beef dinner for one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gimmeabreak
                  Restaurant Name: The Rotisserie Grill, Harrods

Lococation: Harrods, Kensington, London

Website: http://www.harrods.com/content/the-s...nts/rotisserie

Price Range: ££££/£

Note: Some essential reading here on my past history in Harrods food hall.
                  The brazen neck on you going back in there
                  Turning millions into thousands

Comment

Originally posted by iSnow View Post
                    Squeeky bum time, signing lease tomorrow. Should be completely bald in 6 months.
                    Ok so not completely bald and just hacked out a deal to cash in my chips with a nice profit.
                    I know I'm an exception to the rule in such a fickle industry but eager to get cracking on the next venture.
                    There are two ventures actually, both food related. I can 100% fund both ventures but thought it might be worth some shits and giggles to get the community involved.
                    The aim is to sell shares in each venture,elect a committee of operational director, financial advisor and marketing manager who will ultimately make all the decisions.Id be willing to front 50% per venture and interested parties are invited to inspect business plan and financials for both before committing. The first venture has franchise possibility and total investment is circa 15k. The second is much more upmarket, will be ten times more work with a total investment of 45k. So, any interest?

Ps Ty mods for post approval.

Comment

Ok so not completely bald and just hacked out a deal to cash in my chips with a nice profit.
                      I know I'm an exception to the rule in such a fickle industry but eager to get cracking on the next venture.
                      There are two ventures actually, both food related. I can 100% fund both ventures but thought it might be worth some shits and giggles to get the community involved.
                      The aim is to sell shares in each venture,elect a committee of operational director, financial advisor and marketing manager who will ultimately make all the decisions.Id be willing to front 50% per venture and interested parties are invited to inspect business plan and financials for both before committing. The first venture has franchise possibility and total investment is circa 15k. The second is much more upmarket, will be ten times more work with a total investment of 45k. So, any interest?

Send me some details, I'll have a look at it. Could also potentially look after the marketing elements.

However if you can fully fund both ventures, and you think they're hot, involving the community for "shits & giggles" is not the way to go.

Bringing in expertise or funding if it's missing (or you want to limit your upfront risk) in order to drive success I get, bringing in the community simply because there is one here doesn't make a lot of business sense imo.
                      Join the IPB Fantasy Football League 19/20

http://www.irishpokerboards.com/foru...88#post1104188

Comment

Would be interested in hearing more about these too.

Comment

Its more a case of not wanting to put all my eggs in one basket.
                          One of the guys involved in the last project almost had the smell of fear from him when things didn't go our way. I don't wanna be that guy.

Comment

I'd be interested in having a look too, would have experience in the financial and marketing side of things.
                            Double-decker bus enthusiast

Comment

Might be interested in this.

What was the name of the place you just cashed out of? Has it a Web or Facebook Page?

Comment

Details please!
                                This may or may not be an original thought of my own.
                                All efforts were made to make this thought original but with the abundance of thoughts in the world the originality of this thought cannot be guaranteed.
                                The author is not liable for any issue arising from the platitudinous nature of this post.

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
                                  Might be interested in this.

What was the name of the place you just cashed out of? Has it a Web or Facebook Page?
                                  Rusty Spoon. On fb. In the end we couldn't agree on food presentation,staff training, winelist and believe it or not playlist. The guys felt bad about upselling, almost like they felt bad about making money. After I called a 'this is a business not a charity' meeting they offered me a nice out which was a no brainer. At the moment we, sorry they have one review on TR. Its kinda biased as it was written by a comp winner but you get the jist.

Comment

Gonna set up separate thread. Sorry to derail orig GAB

Comment

Can people let me know where their favourite place for food is which is a cafe setting - so breakfast, brunch, lunch type place that would have pretty much the same menu available from the time it opens to the time it closes?
                                      location?
                                      People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                      Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                      https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Just putting this here also for posterity Noel.

Cafe Hans is the best cafe in Ireland. Fact.

Some pics to go with it - http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant...l#LIGHTBOXVIEW
                                        You are technically correct...the best kind of correct
                                        World Record Holder for Long Distance Soul Reads: May 7th 2011

Comment

haha asked my missus to weigh in.

I got hippitys Temple Bar and
                                          http://www.queenoftarts.ie/ Dublin
                                          http://www.cupantae.eu/galway -Galway
                                          http://www.primrosecottagecakes.com/ - Gorey

I think she paid more attention to the cafe part tbf
                                          People say I should be more humble I hope they understand, they don't listen when you mumble
                                          Get a shiny metal Revolut card! And a free tenner!
                                          https://revolut.com/referral/jamesb8!G10D21

Comment

Osta, in Sligo, is my favourite cafe. Although it does operate as a winebar in the evening so might not be exactly what you're looking for GAB.

Too many reasons why it's good but it's really locally orientated, does a 15km breakfast which is pretty cool. Basically a fry but all ingredients have been sourced within 15km, the tourists love that.

Locally at the moment, I think McMahons in Glasnevin is pretty good. Couldn't find a webpage but their trip advisor, with only one review is here http://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowUserRe...nty_Dubli.html

Comment

Taste food company is usually my go to cafe for breakfast/lunch.
                                              Profit before people.

Comment

Anderson's in Glasnevin is the only one I can think of that I've gone out of my way to visit. Pig & Heifer and Cake Cafe also have plenty of good points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Friend of mine has a place called Peacock Green on Leeson St, only in a couple of times but pretty good fare and seems popular (although only caters for office crowd as closes at 4pm I think). Seems to be garnering a good following a has since opened on Lord Edward Street, Hatch Street, Christchurch Cathedral & one planned for Merrion Road next month.

Comment

Anyone been to Brioche in Ranelagh yet.

Mate of mine said it was off the charts.

His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

Originally posted by elbows View Post
                                                      Anyone been to Brioche in Ranelagh yet.

Mate of mine said it was off the charts.

http://www.briocheranelagh.com/

I was there shortly after it opened, French tasting plates that ranged from decent to excellent at the time, could see it having improved further since then

Comment

Spotted a 1/4 page advert in The Racing Post for this place http://brookwooddublin.com/ - never heard of it before but I couldn't help but notice it was suspiciously like a knock off of Goodmans. Has anybody been or spotted it?

I have not been yet, it is owned by same people who have Mulberry Garden (which I am a big fan of) in Donnybrook but different sort of place obviously.

Comment

Spotted a 1/4 page advert in The Racing Post for this place http://brookwooddublin.com/ - never heard of it before but I couldn't help but notice it was suspiciously like a knock off of Goodmans. Has anybody been or spotted it?
                                                          Same owners as Mulberry Garden in Donnybrook.

Have heard mixed reports but it is only open a few months.
                                                          His rival it seems, had broken his dreams,By stealing the girl of his fancy.Her name was Magill, and she called herself Lil,But everyone knew her as Nancy.

Comment

I believe it's owned by the same people that own Mulberry Garden in Donnybrook. Had a look inside a month or so ago. Very small cramped booths downstairs with an open kitchen/prep area. Not sure the booths work as they're just too small and don't look comfortable at all. Upstairs more open and prob seats about 30 or so. No booths upstairs and it's nice with 2 big windows looking out onto Baggot St. Have heard mixed reviews from 2 guys in the office here but will probably still try it at some stage.

Edit: Should have refreshed page before replying. Mulberry reference repetition.

Comment

So, Mulberry Garden then? tough/easy to get short notice reservations?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed View Post
                                                                So, Mulberry Garden then? tough/easy to get short notice reservations?
                                                                Never had a problem booking but generally it would have been a couple of weeks in advance. Been there 4 or 5 times. Food is very good.

Comment

I see they are using the higgins beef that I was raving about. Interested to know your thoughts
                                                                  Hunter S Thompson 1937-2005 - "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"

Comment

Eatery: Some sandwich machine

Lococation: Dublin Airport

Website: www.daa.ie

Price Range: €

I had a toasted ham and cheese sandwich tonight.
                                                                    Normal ham, normal cheese - none of your hipster bullshit.
                                                                    I don't know what country the cheese was from, I don't know what county the ham was from, I don't give a bollox what they were made of. They tasted good.

I had a golden crisp afterwards which hit the spot.

Overall: 6.5/8
                                                                    airport, lol

Comment

Originally posted by RasTa View Post
                                                                      I see they are using the higgins beef that I was raving about. Interested to know your thoughts
                                                                      Have you started growing your own barbeques yet?
                                                                      airport, lol

Comment

I have a question for more experienced diners before I write a review. Fwiw, it's not gonna be a good review but I don't want to put up things that I didn't like but may be common practice.

Basically, went for dinner with herself last night and after ordering it took 25mins for starters of souup and chowder to arrive and when the girl took our plates she returned immediately with the mains. A sirloin and a t-bone steak. Is this standard in some places?

Comment

Originally posted by dobman88 View Post
                                                                          I have a question for more experienced diners before I write a review. Fwiw, it's not gonna be a good review but I don't want to put up things that I didn't like but may be common practice.

Basically, went for dinner with herself last night and after ordering it took 25mins for starters of souup and chowder to arrive and when the girl took our plates she returned immediately with the mains. A sirloin and a t-bone steak. Is this standard in some places?
                                                                          Valid question but was there a skin on the top of the soup and chowder and can you remember the temperature of steak you both requested?

Comment

Valid question but was there a skin on the top of the soup and chowder and can you remember the temperature of steak you both requested?
                                                                            Bad either way, any decent restaurant will give you breathing room between courses.
                                                                            airport, lol

Comment

not standard, it is bad service and it is something that really grinds my gears.
                                                                              Yeah it really annoyed me. That's why I haven't reviewed it yet. I wanted to be calm instead of just ranting.

Yes, skin on both. Girlfriend actually had to scrape the skin off her soup. Chowder wasn't as bad. Also, when the "creamy mash" (described by waitress as creamy) came out it was crusted so it had obviously been sitting under heat or something for a while. Also the plates were absolutely roasting, way hotter than any restaurant I've ever eaten in. You couldn't touch them. Can't remember temp, it wasn't cold but with the plates being so hot I'm not surprised the meat wasn't cold.

And like eamonhonda said, I was looking forward to a little break between courses because Chowder was actually quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                Bad either way, any decent restaurant will give you breathing room between courses.
                                                                                We all know this EH please keep up. We're trying to determine if it's a front or back of house problem or both.

Comment

Originally posted by eamonhonda View Post
                                                                                  Yeah it really annoyed me. That's why I haven't reviewed it yet. I wanted to be calm instead of just ranting.

Yes, skin on both. Girlfriend actually had to scrape the skin off her soup. Chowder wasn't as bad. Also, when the "creamy mash" (described by waitress as creamy) came out it was crusted so it had obviously been sitting under heat or something for a while. Also the plates were absolutely roasting, way hotter than any restaurant I've ever eaten in. You couldn't touch them. Can't remember temp, it wasn't cold but with the plates being so hot I'm not surprised the meat wasn't cold.

And like eamonhonda said, I was looking forward to a little break between courses because Chowder was actually quite nice.
                                                                                  I can tell you now what happened.
                                                                                  Order hit kitchen and soup and chowder were thrown up under hot lamp where they developed a crust - disgusting. All the fucker had to do was spoon each out of a soup terrine and let the waitress know they were served. Waitress spazzed out and forgot about them but she's not entirely to blame. Pass chef should have noticed them sitting there and roasted her.

Steaks were cooked and I suspect the same guy on starters was in charge of veg/sides and placed them on pass where they developed a crust - disgusting.

Head chef prob asked about status of table. I could imagine the look of terror on the waitress' face when she realised she fucked up. The horror, oh the horror.

She lied through her teeth and probably said you were still slurping away while she snook the soup and chowder out of the kitchen. By this stage the chef is probably going mad and wrongly calling you a cnut. My question about temperature was more of a question regarding how you requested your steak to be cooked. Was it overdone?

Commis chef and waitress should be beaten with a hosepipe like the good ol days.

Comment

Requested M, but was more on the MW side. Also, when I got close to the bone the meat was really tough, like I would have needed a hacksaw to cut it so I left a lot of meat either side of the bone.

I went to a lot of effort learning how to cook a steak properly so it really pisses me off when a pro chef can't do his/her job.

I know someone fucked up obviously but I did mention it to the waitress when she cleared our mains and her response was: But everything else was ok? I agreed and she went off with a big smile!

Comment

Is this standard in some places?
                                                                                      Yes! In a great many places.

Name and shame.

Comment

Yes! In a great many places.

Name and shame.
                                                                                        The Flesk Restaurant in Killarney. It was recommended by a mate and I'd never eaten there before. Won't be back again.

The Smokehouse is another place I'll never go back to. I gave them two chances and they fucked up both times. The Flesk was just too bad to even entertain the idea of returning.

Comment

So you only mentioned the steak but not the soup/chowder or hurried service?

I was in Brasserie 66 a few weeks back for their lobster deal (2x Lobster and 2x glasses of prosecco for €50). Table was booked for 7 and requested back for 9pm. No hassle John-Joe, I'll be gone by 8:15 max says I.

At a quarter to eight he starts putting the skids on us and my rather tipsy dining companion was complaining that there was fuck all lobster in the dish so may she order the same again. Same again for me too John-Joe says I and the snide little feicker huffed and puffed but duely obliged. To twist the knife we ordered dessert and some cocktails. We left at about 9:20 at which point the waitresses were pissing themselves while our friend was getting all worked up.

This is the worst type of hospitality but you should speak or act up. It's not called the service industry for nothing.

Comment

So you only mentioned the steak but not the soup/chowder or hurried service?.
                                                                                            No, I mentioned everything about the food. Not the hurried service. By everything else I assumed she meant that bog standard choc cake and the beer I had. Actually the bar maid looked like the only one that had a clue.

I've found out in the mean time that a good mate of mine knows the owner so I an going to tell him so he can pass it on.

Comment

No, I mentioned everything about the food. Not the hurried service. By everything else I assumed she meant that bog standard choc cake and the beer I had. Actually the bar maid looked like the only one that had a clue.

I've found out in the mean time that a good mate of mine knows the owner so I an going to tell him so he can pass it on.
                                                                                              Great, he would actually appreciate the feedback.
                                                                                              It's a difficult one as we know what happened but testament to the fact that being a control freak in hospitality actually works. Was there a manager on duty? Were they active on the floor?

Comment

So you only mentioned the steak but not the soup/chowder or hurried service?

I was in Brasserie 66 a few weeks back for their lobster deal (2x Lobster and 2x glasses of prosecco for €50). Table was booked for 7 and requested back for 9pm. No hassle John-Joe, I'll be gone by 8:15 max says I.

At a quarter to eight he starts putting the skids on us and my rather tipsy dining companion was complaining that there was fuck all lobster in the dish so may she order the same again. Same again for me too John-Joe says I and the snide little feicker huffed and puffed but duely obliged. To twist the knife we ordered dessert and some cocktails. We left at about 9:20 at which point the waitresses were pissing themselves while our friend was getting all worked up.

This is the worst type of hospitality but you should speak or act up. It's not called the service industry for nothing.
                                                                                                They probably had your picture up on the wall from the Horsehead Elite dinner and were exacting revenge for your filthy antics.

wp Brasserie 66

Comment

Great, he would actually appreciate the feedback.
                                                                                                  It's a difficult one as we know what happened but testament to the fact that being a control freak in hospitality actually works. Was there a manager on duty? Were they active on the floor?
                                                                                                  Yes, there was a DM on. Active? Hmmm, I saw him on the floor once. He spent most of his time going between the kitchen and the bar area.

Whilst in the bar area he would stand there polishing glasses and clearly getting in the way of an annoyed looking bar maid but she never let it show when she came to deliver any drinks. DM also turned off the lights with all his fuckin around behind the bar and stood there with a stupid smile on his face while everyone was looking at him like turn the lights back on numnuts. The only other time he was on the floor was when two lads in suits came in and he was fawning all over them.

Oh god, the more questions you ask the more shit I remember the more horrible the experience becomes!

Comment

They probably had your picture up on the wall from the Horsehead Elite dinner and were exacting revenge for your filthy antics.

wp Brasserie 66
                                                                                                    Pot Kettle Black.
                                                                                                    I believe this one is entitled Dali's surrealist version of Countdown.

One of the contestants is Danny Dyer and the other is the ghost of some swiss cheese. Naturally the clock has melted and Danny's head has exploded whilst attempting to solve a particularly surreal crucial conundrum.

Comment

Oh god, the more questions you ask the more shit I remember the more horrible the experience becomes!
                                                                                                      Sorry Matt, guy sounds like a fucktard.

Comment

Sorry Matt, guy sounds like a fucktard.
                                                                                                        Lol, Matt is my Dad. I'll tell him you said hi

Comment

Lol, Matt is my Dad. I'll tell him you said hi
                                                                                                          Apologies Jnr!

Comment

Couldn't let it go, I think this has annoyed me way more than it should have. I called in there on my way home from work and spoke to the calamitous DM. tbf, he seemed genuinely concerned about the starters taking so long but he said the mains coming out so quick was perfectly normal, blaming it on Race Week in the town and needing a quick turn around. I'm not paying 100 quid for a quick turn around.

Anyway, he gave me a card and wrote his name and number on the back and said to come in again some night and he would look after me. He then ushered me out the door. I'm not gonna bother going back, next up on the search for a good steak in Killarney is Treyvaud's: http://treyvaudsrestaurant.com/menus/ .

I'm not gonna bother reviewing The Flesk, I think all these posts explain it.

Comment

Couldn't let it go, I think this has annoyed me way more than it should have. I called in there on my way home from work and spoke to the calamitous DM. tbf, he seemed genuinely concerned about the starters taking so long but he said the mains coming out so quick was perfectly normal, blaming it on Race Week in the town and needing a quick turn around. I'm not paying 100 quid for a quick turn around.

Anyway, he gave me a card and wrote his name and number on the back and said to come in again some night and he would look after me. He then ushered me out the door. I'm not gonna bother going back, next up on the search for a good steak in Killarney is Treyvaud's: http://treyvaudsrestaurant.com/menus/ .

I'm not gonna bother reviewing The Flesk, I think all these posts explain it.
                                                                                                              Give me the card! I'll go in alone dressed like a goon, carrying a copy of Food & Wine mag and a notebook. We could do a livestream of him shitting himself but I think the humour may be lost on him.

Comment

top quality fish in Dublin city centre - where?
                                                                                                                not many fish places in the city in my experience

this one was pretty good

The Lord Edward is very Old Skool but good.

Comment

I don't understand the hype for this Woolen Mills business. Perhaps it's just it's novelty factor that has it doing so well as I just found it to be bland overpriced grimness. Much better off just sticking to their other joint in the Winding Stair.

Comment

I used to love this place but I stopped going when they took a personal favourite off the menu. The 20 euro early bird with starter and rump steak is excellent value. However, they took their best starter off the menu about a year ago. It was the only one there that matched the steak in terms of quality. Since removing this I haven't been back. I got the ribs one night and found them very disappointing. So the value has definitely disappeared now that there is no starter on there that matches the steak. The dish in question was a spectacular calamari salad. I asked why it was removed and they never said why. In relation to the inconsistent performance over the two nights, I think this is the most widespread problem with restaurants. A lot of places find it hard to consistently deliver time and time again.

I wouldn't put anyone off going though. I just haven't been back since they removed the salad off the menu. And I have to agree with GAB that the starters don't really match the mains. I found the service very good, especially the tall irish guy who is an excellent waiter.
                                                                                                                    Last edited by TonyCascarino; 02-09-14, 16:24.

Comment

Restaurant Name: The Hot Stove

Location: Parnell Square

Website: here

Price Range: €€€€

I have been fond lately of positing the theory that there is no longer any need to go to the Southside of Dublin for good food. The Northside already has the best restaurant (Chapter One), the most ethnic diversity (Parnell St and environs) and the best fish (Howth). We also have the most handsome heroin addicts, the most crooked politicos and the wittiest muggers. In search of validation of this theory, I booked myself and Mrs DIII into the Hot Stove last night. This place has been open for a year now and has established itself, allegedly as one of the city's finer dining venues. Bravely located on the shittier side of Parnell Square, it's within 30 seconds of the Rotunda's front door should you suffer an obstetrical emergency over your starter.

We rolled in to a classy basement joint, well laid out without any of the creeping sense of claustrophobia which many of Dublin's downstairs diners frequently engender. The likes of Pearl could learn a thing or two about lighting from this joint. I would have grabbed a pre-prandial drink at the very inviting bar but Mrs Duke's hunger brooked no argument and we requested immediate seating. The highly efficient but unfortunately hipster-ish maître d' showed us to our table where we were quickly presented with menus that although short, promised much in terms of ambition.

An alarmingly green amuse-bouche was swiftly produced - pea soup with pasta and an onion foam. To me, this should always be a dramatic statement of intent from the kitchen, something that screams the chef's personality and prepares your taste buds for the repast to follow. The Hot stove missed their mark with this one as it was merely pea soup with the merest hint of burnt onion and an overly salted ham gnocchi floating in a sea of peagreen ennui. 'Boring', we decreed and turned our hands to the bread of which sourdough and brown were on offer. Both were competent without being outstanding in any way. Sigh.

Surely starters would turn the tide? Mrs D's chicken liver and foie gras parfait was possibly the most bland rendition we've ever come across and a real betrayal of the ingredients. I fared better with my mushroom and parsnip raviolo, earthy mushroom flavours dominating a perfectly cooked raviolo with a piquant parsnip foam. Score one for the kitchen. The wine list is a curious affair and I suspect that no trained professionals were allowed anywhere near the selection process. I picked a Montepulciano as the least offensive option and it proved a decent option, although I suspect at €33 the mark-up was of obscene proportions.

I went for the 'Organic Ballinwillin Wild Boar Slow Roasted Shoulder' for my main. I thought this was a brave thing to put on a menu and I can't ever remember seeing Irish wild boar here before. It came with some baby potatoes, pea puree, trumpets and, very interestingly, samphire - which is always something that I have associated with sea produce. I really wanted to be bowled over by this but couldn't shake off the feeling that it was merely a slightly gamier version of pork belly. I also thought it was a bit dry and could really have been helped by a sauce, of which there was none. Full marks for effort but this dish didn't quite hit the high notes for me. MDIII suffered a similar fate with her lamb, again promising much but not quite getting there. The black-face Achill lamb cutlet was unlike any other lamb I have ever tasted, really gamey and dense. We queried the hipster and he enthusiastically explained that this was due to the ageing of the meat, which sdone to older meat than we are generally used to and for longer. With both dishes nudging over that €30 price point at which you expect special food, neither of us felt that the execution matched the chef's ambition.

Desserts were equally disappointing. I had the cheese board with five well-presented cheese but these were betrayed by the home-made crackers which were really poor. MDIII fared even less well with her chocolate fondant and coffee ice cream - the fondant being fine (if tiny) but the ice cream was an inferior example of the species. My LBV port accompaniment was fine, if somewhat on the stingy side. Damage was €165, including tip which is not cheap for a night out and I'm afraid that the dough could have been better blown to greater effect in any one of a hundred other establishments. I would like to be more positive as I think the Hot Stove is trying to do brave things in a brave location but sadly it is falling short. A few trips round the corner to Chapter One would show them the way..

6/10

Comment

I've been there a couple of times and always went away thinking it didn't live up to expectations or intentions. Their menu suggests a keen eye on margins so I'm sure they'll have a lot of time to improve.

Comment

Is 6/10 generous seeing as nothing really lived up to expectation?
                                                                                                                          Obv regarding the hot stove.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                                                          X